teens who became lost at sea last summer found 100 miles off coast of
Bermuda - Palm Beach Post

Read more on palmbeachpost.com

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The triangle??
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Very sad. This is a good reminder of why good rescue beacons are a must if you're going into the deep ocean, or anywhere isolated from cell service.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember this... Sad story... Bad storm kicked up fast!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very sad. This is a good reminder of why good rescue beacons are a must if you're going into the deep ocean, or anywhere isolated from cell service.
View Quote

And life vest. Sad story I looked for updates on this a few weeks ago. Didn't realize they were 14 year olds. I thought they were older. I don't care how much time they spent on the water these boys were not old enough to take that craft out themselves into open seas.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I remember this... Sad story... Bad storm kicked up fast!!!
View Quote

A friend of mine is the uncle of one of the boys. Sad situation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]
sad story
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And life vest. Sad story I looked for updates on this a few weeks ago. Didn't realize they were 14 year olds. I thought they were older. I don't care how much time they spent on the water these boys were not old enough to take that craft out themselves into open seas.
View Quote

Bullshit.  I know plenty of 12-14 year old boys and girls I'd let take to the open seas if they were inclined to go.  Just because YOU don't have the experience to do something or have the hours and training, doesn't mean a child doesn't.   Plenty of Adults sucomb to the seas every year because of unforeseen events or storms that pop up.  Pick oceans, mountains, anywhere.  Shit happens.  Age has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  I know plenty of 12-14 year old boys and girls I'd let take to the open seas if they were inclined to go.  Just because YOU don't have the experience to do something or have the hours and training, doesn't mean a child doesn't.   Plenty of Adults sucomb to the seas every year because of unforeseen events or storms that pop up.  Pick oceans, mountains, anywhere.  Shit happens.  Age has nothing to do with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Age and life experience has a lot to do with your ability to judge risks and make good decisions. It can also help with keeping your head in a bad situation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree.

Thousands of kids, myself included have managed to make it in and out of that inlet millions of times.

The boys chose poorly and it cost them their lives.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad the family can get some kind of closure.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
... the image in mind's eye of being stranded in the open ocean gives me the same heebie-jeebies as heights and crawling in caves no bigger than my shoulders
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Disagree.

Thousands of kids, myself included have managed to make it in and out of that inlet millions of times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree.

This is true. Maybe if they had been a little older and wiser they would have made a better choice that day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pipe down. This story proves you're wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Whole thing is just bad all the way around
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know how a parent ever recovers from that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know how a parent ever recovers from that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I wonder why the CG waited so long to try to retrieve the boat after they found it. Couldn't they have attached some type of beacon to it so they could locate it again?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

No flame to anyone, but if you get into a boat without a vest, you're an idiot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Glad the family can get some kind of closure.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that escalated quickly. If your a parent and would let your 14 year old take a boat at into open waters, regardless of experience, don't get upset when shit like this happens.

No one questioned their skill, but the risk analysis of a 14 year old versus a 40 year old is not the same, in most cases.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about the grown ass man who died last week in the same spot?

Is 40 something not old enough either?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I've spent the last 32 years on the water, winter and summer.
Nothing like a squall with 75+ knot winds blowing up on you. It's visable for miles as it approaches. Doesn't change what happens when it hits. Year after year after year.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wonder why the CG waited so long to try to retrieve the boat after they found it. Couldn't they have attached some type of beacon to it so they could locate it again?
View Quote

That's not the CG's role. They'll search and recover survivors. If you want a small vessel recovered then call Sea Tow (or similar company).

There's a reason I have a PLB on my gear at work. I want the best odds of being found.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's not the CG's role. They'll search and recover survivors. If you want a small vessel recovered then call Sea Tow (or similar company).

There's a reason I have a PLB on my gear at work. I want the best odds of being found.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they probably didn't put a swimmer in the water to check under the boat for bodies either.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The CG doesn't expend resources to tow in derelict boats, especially small ones like that. They will issue a notice to Mariners so people who are sailing in that area will know it's out there.

To be honest I'm surprised it's only to Bermuda. I figured they would have found it off Nova Scotia or even Ireland.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
If we find a boat adrift it is usually considered a hazard to navigation and  sunk on the spot. Well, if it can't be reasonably  recovered. Then again we're not in the business of property recovery

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Then they probably didn't put a swimmer in the water to check under the boat for bodies either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good lord
you do realize that you can drop a rescue jumper to do a search and not be required to airlift the freaking boat out , right? or is my sarcasm meter out of whack?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC they did. Look at the sinking of the SS El Faro. The CG spotted a lifeboat from the vessel and had a swimmer search it. A deceased member of the crew was found. The search effort was still underway so they left the lifeboat and the deceased drift away. As I stated earlier: the CG is not in the property recovery business, or really the recovery of the deceased either. This standpoint is harsh, but it's the reality of being on the water.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I remember this story and completely forgot about it until now.  Experienced but went into a storm
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Yup the CG only airlifts living casualties out. If you are already dead you have to wait until the vessel gets to land.

The deceased member of the El Faro was already dead and as harsh as it sounds finding and rescuing potential survivors is much higher on the priorities list than recovering a body. I work on the water and I know I would rather the CG keep looking for living shipmates instead of recovering my body.

The sea is a cruel mistress.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Very surprised a SeaCraft is still floating that long after it went adrift.  They are tail-heavy boats that don't self-bail all that well in the best of times and that boat with a dead bilge pump, and still floating is beyond mind-blowing (I've owned a number of SeaCraft's, including the exact model in the story).
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I remember this story and completely forgot about it until now.  Experienced but went into a storm
View Quote

Everyone makes these kids out to be some sort of boating prodigy, but the simple fact was, they could NOT be. Experience and wisdom cannot be bought at the bait stand.  

No PFD's worn, no EPIRB, no float plan, iirc no radio, ignored the weather.  All things an experienced boater would have had or noticed. The same things that kill boaters everywhere year after year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

good lord
you do realize that you can drop a rescue jumper to do a search and not be required to airlift the freaking boat out , right? or is my sarcasm meter out of whack?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good lord

I doubt that CG helos do that kind of lifting. A Chinook would be better for that. So if they put a rescue jumper in the water, they can't tie a beacon to the boat so the tow guys can find it so the damn thing doesn't have to be accidentally found and get hauled all the way to Norway just to be shipped back to Fla? It's a big deal that two boys are missing, and all that time and money is spent on the search but marking and retrieving the boat and its contents doesn't matter?
I don't claim to be a search & rescue expert but something seems kind of weird here - finding the boat and then just letting it drift for a few days. Maybe the story is lacking some details.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

From the article.The Coast Guard attached a data marker buoy to the craft, which was in water too deep to use an anchor. When the Coast Guard returned to the location after searching for the boys, the craft had vanished, said Doss.

EXCLUSIVE: Missing Florida teens’ boat found off Bermuda coast photo
Perry
“The marker buoy did not work properly,” said Doss.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I duped you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hmmmmmm, I guess reading really is for faggots.

The Coast Guard attached a data marker buoy to the craft, which was in water too deep to use an anchor. When the Coast Guard returned to the location after searching for the boys, the craft had vanished, said Doss.

Seriously, that was the second paragraph of the article.  [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_thinking.gif[/img

ETA:  I see you read before the update, I retract my comment.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

From the article.The Coast Guard attached a data marker buoy to the craft, which was in water too deep to use an anchor. When the Coast Guard returned to the location after searching for the boys, the craft had vanished, said Doss.

Perry
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perry

Thanks. I read the story and posted at 1:07, and they updated the story at 3:45.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Age and wisdom....how does that work again? The story in and of itself is enough to say you aren't on your A game with this post.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#42]
How is an iPhone recovered from a capsized small boat that was adrift at sea for a year ?

Or did I miss something in that story ??
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

How is an iPhone recovered from a capsized small boat that was adrift at sea for a year ?

Or did I miss something in that story ??
View Quote
Probably in the console

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Very surprised a SeaCraft is still floating that long after it went adrift.  They are tail-heavy boats that don't self-bail all that well in the best of times and that boat with a dead bilge pump, and still floating is beyond mind-blowing (I've owned a number of SeaCraft's, including the exact model in the story).
View Quote

I'm sure it was turtled.

Odds are good they took a wave over the transom and over she went.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#45]
GD really does hate everything.  Now we hate the Coast Guard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The CG found the boat back when they first went missing. There was no one on board so they left it and it went on its merry way.

Like others have said, the Coast Guard is not in the salvage business.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well that escalated quickly. If your a parent and would let your 14 year old take a boat at into open waters, regardless of experience, don't get upset when shit like this happens.

No one questioned their skill, but the risk analysis of a 14 year old versus a 40 year old is not the same, in most cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit. My 3 year old went cave diving this morning with his 2 year old buddy all by themselves. They should be back anytime now. Remember, "age has nothing to do with it"
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder if apple will help them recover the data from the phone
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The CG found the boat back when they first went missing. There was no one on board so they left it and it went on its merry way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trust me I know. CG used to salvage, then got sued by salvage companies.  You'd think GD would be ok with the .gov not doing something the market can do.  I guess GD wants bigger .gov now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder if apple will help them recover the data from the phone
View Quote

Being that it's been exposed to saltwater for a year, I wonder if you can even tell it's an I-phone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top