Quoted:
My bad, nevermind
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ITT Western arrogance

Last war we won was in 1953 and that was(is) a stalemate at best.

View Quote

Bwaahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In 2012 we turned over a fob to the ANP a few clicks South of the kajaki dam, the Taliban overan them in them in less than a week after american and british forces spent a decade in PA. Waiting to rotate back home I got to see a dozen dune coons do atleast $60,000,000 in damage on our airstrip. Forgive me if I don't believe we won this war.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like how Vietnam's our ally now.TThatsactually kinda neat. I guess we need to slaughter a million of any country and they'll love us for it.
Vietnam still follows communism. The only reason they're playing buddy with the West is that China is looking to expand. Idk if you're being sarcastic but you're arguing for the other side.  

What is your experience in these matters other than passing opinions developed officer persons opinions?
In 2012 we turned over a fob to the ANP a few clicks South of the kajaki dam, the Taliban overan them in them in less than a week after american and british forces spent a decade in PA. Waiting to rotate back home I got to see a dozen dune coons do atleast $60,000,000 in damage on our airstrip. Forgive me if I don't believe we won this war.    

What unit were you in?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A COP or Combat OutPost is supposed to be placed in enemy territory so it disrupts all enemy operations and forces them to engage or move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, that was a total shit show. The Kenyan forces were totally clueless and they paid for that with their lives. I wonder if they even do predeployment work up's or just throw their units out there. Their armor was totally useless, none of the vehicles ever even fired a shot. That Dshk machine gun in the Kenyan position looked so rusted I wonder if it would even fire?
Yep, looks almost like the Kenyans just plopped this camp with no planning whatsoever.

Right in the middle of Indian country.

Um.

Thats the whole idea.

The whole idea? looked like it was to die without resistance or run away.

A COP or Combat OutPost is supposed to be placed in enemy territory so it disrupts all enemy operations and forces them to engage or move.
I guess the Combat part was forgotten. Sure looked it.

Does the Kenyian Army draft, or is it just the best job these poor saps could get?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Vehicle and guard rotation stupidity aside- what's to stop them from at least making a tower inside the perimeter, with either a DMR or MG? Scared of heights?  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Vehicle and guard rotation stupidity aside- what's to stop them from at least making a tower inside the perimeter, with either a DMR or MG? Scared of heights?  
View Quote

Would you want to man it?

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
That and clean up the perimeter.

Guess no one in the Kenyan Army saw, "The Green Berets."
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it's sandbagged and I've got a scoped rifle that can shoot accurately out to at least 500 yards (and, uh, a ready supply of ammo), sure.

It wouldn't really even need to be that tall.  As little as 15-20 feet gives you a good amount of height and open viewing area.  

A good rifleman could pop the Technical gunners (or maybe engine block) before they get close enough to put accurate fire on the tower (much less the COP overall).  You could also see the VBIED much sooner, and get a fighting chance of stopping it before the blast radius presents much danger.

The only downside would be the tower being a bullet magnet- but we already saw how accurate their fire is when aiming upward.  

Edit:  Thinking more about the unlikely sweeping success of this attack- is it possible someone on the inside gave actionable intel to Al-shabaab?  That would be my number-one fear on the ground as either a government or merc fighter in places like that (besides having inadequately-supplied and poorly-trained squad-mates, anyway).
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As long as it's sandbagged and I've got a scoped rifle that can shoot accurately out to at least 500 yards (and, uh, a ready supply of ammo), sure.

It wouldn't really even need to be that tall.  As little as 15-20 feet gives you a good amount of height and open viewing area.  

A good rifleman could pop the Technical gunners (or maybe engine block) before they get close enough to put accurate fire on the tower (much less the COP overall).  You could also see the VBIED much sooner, and get a fighting chance of stopping it before the blast radius presents much danger.

The only downside would be the tower being a bullet magnet- but we already saw how accurate their fire is when aiming upward.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do have mortars and artillery

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The VBIED could have easily been camo'd as a local delivery truck or something mundane. Hard to keep the locals on their toes about that stuff when they are so accustomed to it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The VBIED could have easily been camo'd as a local delivery truck or something mundane. Hard to keep the locals on their toes about that stuff when they are so accustomed to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair point.  Maybe getting a minute or two to glass it  (again, especially from an elevated position) before it gets close would give you a chance to better identify it, though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Watching the longer video they showed a lot of bodies on the interior of the camp. It also looked like a bunch of them tried to flee into the bush and were shot down as they tried to run. It was a pretty good sized area and they had a lot of vehicles. They showed some of the weapons that were captured and they had mortars, several PKMs, and plenty of rifles and ammunition. They had the number of people and the arms to repel the attack.

What I noticed was that it wasn't a base, it looked more like a refugee camp. Other then a few hesco barriers I didn't see much in the way of fortifications. Few sandbagged positions, no trenches or barbed wire. Monday morning quarterback talking about things I'm not qualified to talk about but I think a better trained force could have held that position and inflicted heavy casualties on the bad guys.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone got a link to the long version?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#14]
So what do you think is the root cause of this?

Lack of funding?
Poor leadership?
Culturally backward conscripts?

You'd think by now someone would come along and make a killing being a modern Von Steuben to these third worlders. Judging by this, there's certainly a market for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lack of funding?
Poor leadership?

You'd think by now someone would come along and make a killing being a modern Von Steuben to these third worlders. Judging by this, there's certainly a market for it.
View Quote

Shit training.
Shit leadership.
Too lazy to clear brush away from the perimeter.
Too lazy to set up range cards with FPF.
Too lazy to build proper fighting positions or put up wire obstacles with claymores..
Six cans of Foo gas would have been the tits.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Lack of funding?

Poor leadership?

View Quote

Von Steuben had better raw material to work with.

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as they say.

Politically incorrect truths, while "incorrect" are nonetheless true.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I felt bad for the guy at the very end.  Knew his goose was cooked. Failure of his leadership or lack thereof.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Been mostly covered.

Looks like the Kenyan armored vehicles didnt have ammunition, or had no gunners; cant see why they didnt fire.

Unmanned machine gun.  Lousy sectors of fire.  They should have cleared the brush out and that Dshk in the defense would have done good work.

The attackers were walking, firing off hand, from the hip, tracer fire going into the sky, looked like a frontal assault.  I didn't see any tracer going left to right so they had no real support by fire position; straight frontal assault.  Didnt see a whole lot of return fire.

This bunch wont last too long if they face real opposition.

EDIT:

After looking at the longer version on liveleak...good grief, what a mess.  At 22:16 they show the captured equipment...looks like 20 plus belt feds machine guns, cases of ammo 4-5 feet high that weren't handed out to the troops,  big stacks of main gun rounds, couple hundred hand grenades...ten different types of mortars. (that was at 22:33)...five 50mm, three or so 81mms and maybe a 120mm. Wow.  100 Kenyan army casualties.

This was Jan 2016 at a place called El Adde, in Somalia.

The amount of ammo and class V that was left stacked around and not distributed, lack of fighting positions and cleared sectors of fire for a force this big...wow, what a fiasco.  Big time leadership failure. I thought this was a small OP, no, this was criminal negligence.  The random way the bodies are lying around as well are indicative; doenst look like they were moved or arrayed...I only saw a couple in any sort of fighting position. Most are just out in the open like they were hit during a rout.  Unless there is sophisticated propaganda here, none of the dead had crew serveds...a few had rifles with them.  Looks like a support unit or guys that had no inclination to hand out weapons.  Were these combat troops?  They had way more heavy weapons then they needed by MTO&E for this sized force, and a lot of supplies administratively laid out.  

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d8d_1460472024

Scroll to the 22 minute mark to see the captured stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who is this "real opposition" of which you speak?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any competent infantry or combat unit that practices basic fundamentals.  Of which this defending unit was not.
I get it, this isnt what you do for a living, but this was an unsynchronized frontal assault against a criminally negligent and incompetent defense.  You need to watch the longer version.

Real opposition that would hand out weapons, distribute ammo, dig in, establish a perimeter, clear the fields of fire of brush and vegetation, wake up before dawn.  Lay in the mortars and crew served weapons instead of piling them in an ammo dump.
This was a mob in uniform.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Any competent infantry or combat unit that practices basic fundamentals.  Of which this defending unit was not.
I get it, this isnt what you do for a living, but this was an unsynchronized frontal assault against a criminally negligent and incompetent defense.  You need to watch the longer version.

Real opposition that would hand out weapons, distribute ammo, dig in, establish a perimeter, clear the fields of fire of brush and vegetation, wake up before dawn.  Lay in the mortars and crew served weapons instead of piling them in an ammo dump.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, so about 30% of the infantry outside of the Anglosphere, that will be our prime by-with-through partners.

Yeah, it isn't what I do for a living. Failure to execute proper fundamentals. Luckily, that hasn't happened in A-stan multiple times, like at Keating and Wanat for starters, or assaults on non-combat critical nodes like Leatherneck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like how Vietnam's our ally now.TThatsactually kinda neat. I guess we need to slaughter a million of any country and they'll love us for it.
Vietnam still follows communism. The only reason they're playing buddy with the West is that China is looking to expand. Idk if you're being sarcastic but you're arguing for the other side.  

What is your experience in these matters other than passing opinions developed officer persons opinions?

Hahaha I was in a metal box reading a book when the RPGs started blowing shit up a few hundred feet away on flight line.  I thought "its pretty late for a controlled det" hahaha nope.  That attack was the result of complacency on the largest scale I've ever seen.  I don't give a fuck though I manned my post and did my job while lots of others were losing their minds.  [/Pog brag]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ITT Western arrogance

View Quote

Bull shit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bull shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ITT Western arrogance

Bull shit.

Wait, which organization trained, manned and equipped the 2011 Iraqi Army, the 1973 South Vietnamese Army, and the current Afghan National Army?

Shit, even the ARVN eventually got it together before they were overrun, no thanks their mentors.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Why did the Defenders not use those ERC's main guns? Seriously, troops in the open and you don't respond with main gun rounds?

The attack was disorganized a little, though not like most attacks like this, but unlike most muj they fired and displaced the heavy weapons and didn't remain stationary long. That was something.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#26]
The Kenyan soldier who turned and ran from the Hescos halfway through and took a round in the back...imagine if he had gone prone and started doing controlled bursts into the attackers at ~15 yards.

I'd still wager that at least one belt-fed being employed when they were within 100-200 yards would have been enough to break that attack.  There were signs that the Al-Shahaab troops had theoretical knowledge of iron sights, but no indications they actually had located them as such on their rifles.    At anything beyond contact distance getting hits is sheer luck.  Any degree of resistance might well have ended things there and then...and with a complete lack of cover for the attackers to use, it would have been a catastrophe had the defenders ever woken up.

Imagine what one of those AFVs could have done if it had gunned it out of the camp, circled around the side, and started mowing through the side of the attack?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Scroll to the 22 minute mark to see the captured stuff.
View Quote

Complacency kills.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
This was like the war version of 4 year olds playing soccer.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Was that a bandanna that I saw go flying  from the blast at 0:49?

ETA: fixed the time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#30]
For later
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why did the Defenders not use those ERC's main guns? Seriously, troops in the open and you don't respond with main gun rounds?

The attack was disorganized a little, though not like most attacks like this, but unlike most muj they fired and displaced the heavy weapons and didn't remain stationary long. That was something.
View Quote

I would be surprised if more than a handful of them knew how to work the AFV's in the first place.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Okay so I just finished watching the long version.  This was much larger than a squad or platoon sized position. The Kenyans had plenty of ammo and mortars too.

I was surprised what a mess the Kenyan camp was.  The whole place looked like a sandbagged refugee camp. One vehicle had cardboard covering the windows like someone was using it for sleeping.

Based on the video, whatever fighting the Kenyans did was too little, too late.  There is a view of a dead Kenyan in a fighting position with a machine gun. So they must have at least tried to man their crew served weapons. Once they got inside the camp the jihadists would sometimes fire on things inside the camp. My guess is that when individual Kenyan soldiers realized they were trapped and couldn't run away, they started fighting.

Looked like the Kenyans mostly tried to run away. There was footage of soldiers killed along a road. A least two of the Kenyans shot in the video were running away.

All the others they showed getting shot were already dead.  They probably just wanted to be able to say they shot someone in the attack. Never mind the fact they were already dead. It was interesting that the singing did not play when they shot the bodies. It's like those parts were added in after the video was complete.

It would be interesting to see the raw footage.  I doubt it was quite as one sided as it appeared. Plus at least a couple jihadists must have gotten killed/wounded by friendly fire or back blast from recoilless rifles or RPGs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Forgot Grenada  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ITT Western arrogance

lol
Forgot Grenada  

You've forgotten a lot apparently... Or simply never learned it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I just watched the longer version.  I couldn't believe how many Kenyan soldiers were killed.  Many of them died with G3's or M16'/M4's in there hands.  I can't believe how one sided that was when they were clearly armed and had ammo for their weapons. Some of them were in fighting positions too.  I just don't get it.  We can see how pathetic the attackers are; it just doesn't make any sense.  The camp covered a large area and it took time for them to move through it.  The army guys had time to get guns and take cover.  Yet you don't see any of the attackers ducking or appear to take any fire?? It's just bizarre.  If they put up as crappy a fight as the attackers did then it should have been a stalemate at least.  But that looked like a massacre.  It's like none of their guns worked.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Imagine what a trained gunner/TC in one of those Armored cars could have done.... Like cord wood...
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oh, so about 30% of the infantry outside of the Anglosphere, that will be our prime by-with-through partners.

Yeah, it isn't what I do for a living. Failure to execute proper fundamentals. Luckily, that hasn't happened in A-stan multiple times, like at Keating and Wanat for starters, or assaults on non-combat critical nodes like Leatherneck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comparing those three engagements to this is apples and oranges.  Not remotely on the same planet.
Without getting into a long winded debate, you should look at the longer version.  See for yourself.

The amount of firepower, ammunition, manpower, and overall combat power this force had at its disposal, and the sheer incompetence if not cowardice, isn't apparent in the short version.

For that matter, the Al Shabaab force was pretty untrained compared to the Taliban...which doesnt help matters.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone remember the real tall  (several stories tall) tower we built on Victory.

It was armored and swayed a little when it was windy.

Every FOB and most COP's I have been to hand a tower or some form of high point with belt fed and DM, sniper positions.

That vid is just sad really.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Anyone remember the real tall  (several stories tall) tower we built on Victory.

Every FOB and most COP's I have been to hand a tower or some form of high point with belt fed and DM, sniper positions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That video shows what an undisciplined, fairly untrained unit does when faced with a slightly more disciplined, more trained adversary...plus I'm pretty sure the Kenyans just straight up didn't want to be in the country.

If that would have been a US position (or British, German, etc...) the outcome would have been different. There would have been friendly casualties...but they'd still be holding the COP.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#39]
That was a textbook shit show beyond anything I have ever seen in my life.

Kenyan "Army."

*fart noise*
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#40]
It really shows what speed, surprise and violence of action can do to win the fight.  That initial SVBIED followed by a the fusillade of gun fire and recoilless rifles took the fight out of the Kenyans immediately.  As previously stated above the Kenyans did this to themselves for a multitude of reasons, but none the less those 3 principles work quite well when properly applied.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Jesus what a cluster fuck that video was, my only explanation is that maybe they didn't issue their troops live ammo due to the fact they're worried they'd turn around and sell it?

I haven't watched the full video since I'm at work, not sure I want to.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I disagree but whatever.

Anyways. I wanted so bad to hear "claymore! claymore! claymore!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was a shit ton of tracers missing overhead. It is almost like they used them to scare folks.

Read Grossman's book On Killing.

Most war is nothing more than shooting over people's heads.

It's fascinating.

I disagree but whatever.

Anyways. I wanted so bad to hear "claymore! claymore! claymore!"

That and no fire from the 12.7mm or 7.62mm belt feds, neither of which appeared to have been emplaced to provide interlocking grazing fire let alone manned.  12.7mm has about what, 1100 - 1200 meters of grazing fire, and 600 meters or so for the 7.62mm so there shouldn't have been any vegetation for at least 600 meters in front of the perimeter.  No wire to channelize the attackers.  No tangle foot to help keep them beyond hand grenade range.  I was just a fucking Air Winger and even I can see the defenders were WAY fucking unprepared to hold that position.  That video would be one HELL of an instructional aid for what NOT to do in the defense.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And how do you defeat someone who has absolutely no concern for their own lives or those around them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking savages.

Yep.  

And how do you defeat someone who has absolutely no concern for their own lives or those around them?

Study the PTO in WWII...
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is why I never wanted to be a ground pounder.  That Army stuff does not look like fun.
View Quote

As opposed to getting into an artillery/missile/torpedo/mine duel on a floating ammo and fuel dump where even the mechanics, cooks, and the S-shop bubbas are in the middle of it along with the Gunner's Mates... and the ocean and sharks are there to clean up any survivors?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Savages? War is hell. You want them to line up in rows and take turn, and stop every 3 hrs for tea?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking savages.

Savages? War is hell. You want them to line up in rows and take turn, and stop every 3 hrs for tea?

Well, that would lend a bit of class to an otherwise uncivil situation.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's fascinating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was a shit ton of tracers missing overhead. It is almost like they used them to scare folks.

It's fascinating.

odd, i thought most would be shooting into the ground
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Study the PTO in WWII...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking savages.

Yep.  

Study the PTO in WWII...

Obviously, but the Japanese were fighting for the Empire.

Although, this in itself, was a belief.

Short of killing every person that is Islamic, which I am ok with , there is no way to stop their aggression.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:12:02 AM EDT
[#48]
will the Kenyans get payback?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Shit training.
Shit leadership.
Too lazy to build proper fighting positions or put up wire obstacles with claymores..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of funding?
Poor leadership?

Shit training.
Shit leadership.

I forgot to put R&S patrols but, Some cultures will never do that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ITT Western arrogance

lol
Forgot Grenada  

Hasn't responded with his unit either.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top