User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Friends, paisanos, wrestling fans:

There is another cheaper option for these BM59 kits--build a BM1

Use an unmodified Garand receiver together with a BM59 barrel, gas cylinder, tricompensator and operating rod. The resulting hybrid offers the compact Italian style of the BM59 in an en bloc fed Garand rifle.

The BM1 uses a Garand stock without the front handguard.

View Quote

There's just one problem with that for me.  I like the 20 round magazine.  In fact that's what makes the rifle attractive to me.  A Garand with a 20 round mag.  The clip on the Garand is kinda love/hate for me.  On the one hand I like novelty of it, on the other I hate the 8 round limit, the awkwardness of it, and if I were actually using the rifle in a combat situation I'd absolutely hate the loud ting sound, announcing I'm out.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In the Garand book by Kuleck he strongly discourages this mod.

Still, I'd like one in 30.06...

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/d/d6/BM59A.jpg/400px-BM59A.jpg

http://www.scott-duff.com/Book114.jpg
View Quote

I love the look of it.  

I'm curious why did Kuleck strongly discourage it?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There's just one problem with that for me.  I like the 20 round magazine.  In fact that's what makes the rifle attractive to me.  A Garand with a 20 round mag.  The clip on the Garand is kinda love/hate for me.  On the one hand I like novelty of it, on the other I hate the 8 round limit, the awkwardness of it, and if I were actually using the rifle in a combat situation I'd absolutely hate the loud ting sound, announcing I'm out.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Friends, paisanos, wrestling fans:

There is another cheaper option for these BM59 kits--build a BM1

Use an unmodified Garand receiver together with a BM59 barrel, gas cylinder, tricompensator and operating rod. The resulting hybrid offers the compact Italian style of the BM59 in an en bloc fed Garand rifle.

The BM1 uses a Garand stock without the front handguard.

An 8 round, self ejecting clip is faster to reload than having to actually remove a magazine, add another one and charge the rifle. Clip pops out, shove new one in, rifle closes itself and is ready to fire.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

$3000 has been thrown around on the forums when others have asked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hijack:

What should I pay for a Springfield Armory build (1980s?) with a Beretta-heel-marked receiver? Looks in unfired condition....

Careful with them though-all the "SA" BM59s I have seen were actually built by Santa Fe Sporters or someone similar. Side of receiver is stamped something like "Made under license from Beretta" and they were built on welded receivers. A welded Garand is iffy enough, definitely stay away from one that was welded then modified into something else.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sexy guns but a nightmare of small parts on the inside.

http://www.berettaweb.com/militari/PM_drawings.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If we're having Italian, I'd rather a Beretta M12.
Somebody make a carbine or pistol version, please.

I have a parts kit sitting on the shelf to build one of those
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've looked at that type of conversion from Shuffs.

I don't really care about mag fed, especially if it's an esoteric imported magazine.

http://www.1911timewarp.com/Pics/BM58-800.jpg
View Quote

May I ask- would NoDak consider working on a proper new receiver solution for the BM59/Garand? I'll throw it out there that of all the manufacturers out there, I would trust NDS above all for a brand new receiver of any kind for the M1/1A/BM59.

My retro uppers and lowers are works of art, not to mention the 30-40 AKs I had a hand in building on various NDS. Can't wait to get my hands on an 18S. If you need more praise to consider tackling such a project, let me know!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

May I ask- would NoDak consider working on a proper new receiver solution for the BM59/Garand? I'll throw it out there that of all the manufacturers out there, I would trust NDS above all for a brand new receiver of any kind for the M1/1A/BM59.

My retro uppers and lowers are works of art, not to mention the 30-40 AKs I had a hand in building on various NDS. Can't wait to get my hands on an 18S. If you need more praise to consider tackling such a project, let me know!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really care about mag fed, especially if it's an esoteric imported magazine.

Making new forged BM59 receivers today would cost a fortune.  The tooling would be insanely expensive.   It's much cheaper and easier to have Shuff modify Garand receivers
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's a negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

I appreciated your patronage and your confidence that we would do it correctly, but there are already vendors making new receivers.

Besides, the tooling cost would be $$$$$$$  

ETA: beat by the cat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

I appreciated your patronage and your confidence that we would do it correctly, but there are already vendors making new receivers.

Besides, the tooling cost would be $$$$$$$  

ETA: beat by the cat

I figured I'd ask anyway, but I appreciate the response all the same!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Making new forged BM59 receivers today would cost a fortune.  The tooling would be insanely expensive.   It's much cheaper and easier to have Shuff modify Garand receivers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that Shuff does great work and seems like a truly stand up guy. Wouldn't want to hurt his business.

I like the look of the clip feed on the BM59 and don't want to lose that with a Garand receiver mod. I like it as authentic (authentico?) as I can get it.

I can't find a stripped Garand receiver for a reasonably low cost and have to consider the additional, significant investment to modify it. Am I also correct the US made-from-scratch BM59 receivers are generally poorly regarded?

Guess I'll have to suck it up and save for a bit before I can get mine going.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I see that Shuff does great work and seems like a truly stand up guy. Wouldn't want to hurt his business.

I like the look of the clip feed on the BM59 and don't want to lose that with a Garand receiver mod. I like it as authentic (authentico?) as I can get it.

I can't find a stripped Garand receiver for a reasonably low cost and have to consider the additional, significant investment to modify it. Am I also correct the US made-from-scratch BM59 receivers are generally poorly regarded?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that the US made from scratch receivers are cast.  Part of the allure of the BM59 is that it used a forged modified Garand receiver. If you use anything else, it really isn't a proper BM59.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I understand that the US made from scratch receivers are cast.  Part of the allure of the BM59 is that it used a forged modified Garand receiver. If you use anything else, it really isn't a proper BM59.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  The real deal was made on modified Garand recievers.  So that is authentic.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Why build a BM59 as opposed to buying an M1A?

The BM59 parts--gas cylinder, etc are of superb quality.  The quality of these parts far exceeds that of a commercial M1A.  The BM59 magazine is a thing of beauty and many of these parts kits are in excellent condition.

When built on a forged  Garand receiver,  you have an extremely high quality, beautiful rifle that will appreciate in value.

The BM59 is very close to what John Garand originally had in mind.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The BM59 parts--gas cylinder, etc are of superb quality.  The quality of these parts far exceeds that of a commercial M1A.  The BM59 magazine is a thing of beauty and many of these parts kits are in excellent condition.

When built on a forged  Garand receiver,  you have an extremely high quality, beautiful rifle that will appreciate in value.

View Quote

That and it's still cheaper than an all USGI M1A on a LRB forged receiver (close as you are gonna get to an M14).  I had a Springfield Inc. M1A and an issued H&R DRMO M14 from a police agency.  Side by side no comparison.  USGI won hands down in quality, fit, and finish.  Commercial model was more accurate (likely due to the non-chrome barrel).  I sold the M1A.

Now that LE is behind me and I turned in the H&R, I am gathering the parts for a USGI M1A.  Build cost will WAY exceed that of these BM-59s

USGI M14 parts are stupid priced these days
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I see Shuff has a full BM59 program for $995+your rifle.  Does he use these same kits then that are being offered by the vendors and just retain the excess parts presumably to resell?  

I don't have a receiver lying around and will have to wait for CMP to open orders again to get a "parts" rifle.  I assume if I put in the time/effort I'd be able to come in cheapest by picking up a FG maybe (unless I stumble into a receiver) and then gutting it out, sending the receiver to Shuff for the BM59 mods and barrel and then assembling the rest myself with a parts kit from any one of the vendors.  Trying to figure out the most economical way of doing this as I'm not going to sacrifice any of the M1s I currently have and am waiting to see what CMP sends me on the awaiting order to see if it can be sacrificed or not.  It would be pretty hard for me to sacrifice a perfectly fine CMP M1, though.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Careful with them though-all the "SA" BM59s I have seen were actually built by Santa Fe Sporters or someone similar. Side of receiver is stamped something like "Made under license from Beretta" and they were built on welded receivers. A welded Garand is iffy enough, definitely stay away from one that was welded then modified into something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hijack:

What should I pay for a Springfield Armory build (1980s?) with a Beretta-heel-marked receiver? Looks in unfired condition....

Thanks - "Springfield Armory Geneseo, IL" so I'm 99% sure it's one of those 80's-90's specials where Springfield imported unfinished receivers from Beretta, looks like this one has a Springfield-marked hammer at least also.    (Info from the Guns PDF posted earlier in this thread, thanks to whomever did!)
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks - "Springfield Armory Geneseo, IL" so I'm 99% sure it's one of those 80's-90's specials where Springfield imported unfinished receivers from Beretta, looks like this one has a Springfield-marked hammer at least also.    (Info from the Guns PDF posted earlier in this thread, thanks to whomever did!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hijack:

Check shuff's forum on the BM59 for verification.  Several guys with originals / various types of imported rifles there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a parts kit and receiver blank for one of these. I have to build it as a rifle if I am going to keep the front grip but it will look goofy with the 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Concur on the magazine.  I bought a few of them and they're really well made...  Like, beat a mammoth to death and still function, well made.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Got my receiever in... the sarco barrel bottoms out with about 20 or so degrees of rotation to go before correct clock position.   That's just tightening by hand.    Hopefully tightening with a wrench will be enough to get it the rest of the way without breaking something.

I'm assuming that since the gas port has to be on dead nuts bottom, the barrel threads have to be timed to a specific starting point, too.

My receiver is light grey park, the winchester/beretta bolt is dark grey or black and the barrel appears to be somewhere between the two, leaning towards grey.   For $50 extra, guess I might as well get it all parked to match.  

Can't decide on manganese (dark) or zinc (light) park, tho.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got my receiever in... the sarco barrel bottoms out with about 20 or so degrees of rotation to go before correct clock position.   That's just tightening by hand.    Hopefully tightening with a wrench will be enough to get it the rest of the way without breaking something.

I'm assuming that since the gas port has to be on dead nuts bottom, the barrel threads have to be timed to a specific starting point, too.

My receiver is light grey park, the winchester/beretta bolt is dark grey or black and the barrel appears to be somewhere between the two, leaning towards grey.   For $50 extra, guess I might as well get it all parked to match.  

View Quote

To recreate smooth Italian parkerizing first the receiver should be blasted with very fine swimming pool filter sand.  Then have it manganese parkerized.

Then wipe it down with extra virgin Bramasole olive oil.  Then your parts will be a lovely green shade.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

To recreate smooth Italian parkerizing first the receiver should be blasted with very fine swimming pool filter sand.  Then have it manganese parkerized.

Then wipe it down with extra virgin Bramasole olive oil.  Then your parts will be a lovely green shade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shouldn't it be volcanic sand ground from the slopes of Mt. Vesuvius?  And the oil lovingly applied by sliding it between the voluptuous breasts of Sophia Loren?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not that bad and I love me some "S12"

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Shouldn't it be volcanic sand ground from the slopes of Mt. Vesuvius?  And the oil lovingly applied by sliding it between the voluptuous breasts of Sophia Loren?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm serious.  Try blasting your parts with filter sand.  And the Bramasole is pure magic.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I got the BM fever something fierce. I blame you sons-of-bitches.

Huge shout out to AIM. I bought a kit from them and being a NY resident, I can't have the mags. My younger brother though is an Ohio resident who also ordered a kit. AIM didn't hesitate when I asked if they could pull the mags from my kit and toss them in with my brother's shipment.

Some day, when I wave NY goodbye, my kit and its mags will be reunited.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not getting why there is such hype when it comes to the BM. If they were blowing the parts kits out for $100 or $200 or something I could get it, but why spend over $2000 when all is said and done for a rifle like that (Assuming you are not building it yourself)? Why not just drop $1500 and buy a new M1A?

ETA: Nevermind, I see people have already said the same thing as me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not getting why there is such hype when it comes to the BM. If they were blowing the parts kits out for $100 or $200 or something I could get it, but why spend over $2000 when all is said and done for a rifle like that (Assuming you are not building it yourself)? Why not just drop $1500 and buy a new M1A?
View Quote

I spent around $1,300 and have a better rifle than the M1A. My BM59 was expertly built by a true craftsman, has a forged receiver, and carries with it a real sense of history.

Plus, I already own an M14NM built from a CMP kit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I spent around $1,300 and have a better rifle than the M1A. My BM59 was expertly built by a true craftsman, has a forged receiver, and carries with it a real sense of history.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where you the "true craftsman"?

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tim Shufflin.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not getting why there is such hype when it comes to the BM.
View Quote

If you have to wonder about it, you are not the target demographic.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because those people want something unique and semi-rare?

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:34:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

A quality built M1A is >$2,000.  Springfield Inc. makes em literally as cheap as possible.  Lots of cast parts, etc.  That said they generally shoot ok.  You're comparing BCM to DPMS and saying "what's the difference?"
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Sarco is currently showing in stock with Beretta BM59E barrels. Are these compatible with the Italian BM59 kits currently sold by APEX and AIM or are they different? I'm finding conflicting info courtesy of Google.

ETA: Never mind. Found the answer, and that answer is NO. Not compatible with the Beretta BM59 kits out there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sarco is currently showing in stock with Beretta BM59E barrels. Are these compatible with the Italian BM59 kits currently sold by APEX and AIM or are they different? I'm finding conflicting info courtesy of Google.
View Quote

No they are different.  I think that very info has been posted several times in this thread
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No they are different.  I think that very info has been posted several times in this thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably and I recall reading something to that effect. However, simply asking is easier than searching through +/- 450 posts in this thread.

Shufflin posted a direct answer in his forum.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Probably and I recall reading something to that effect. However, simply asking is easier than searching through +/- 450 posts in this thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sarco has newly manufacturered barrels that will work with the kits.  Tim says the gas ports are drilled too big though, but can be remedied with an adjustable gas plug

ETA: shows out of stock. http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/new-bm59-italian-barrels.aspx
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I got one of the Sarco Italian kit reproduction barrels.   Looks good.   Hand tight, it looks like it should be clocked correctly on the receiver once it's been torque down with a wrench.

I'm probably going to go with an adjustable gas plug since I reload.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#40]
One thing I find interesting is that quite a few companies won't ship the tricomp to CA, saying it's illegal here. The thing is, it's not illegal here.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
One thing I find interesting is that quite a few companies won't ship the tricomp to CA, saying it's illegal here. The thing is, it's not illegal here.
View Quote

I thought that was because it also functions as a grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

A simple solution is to get them to ship it to someone in another state, who will ship it to you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do a lot of muzzle devices that are perfectly legal and get sold every day to people in CA.  The A2 flash suppressor also doubles as a grenade spigot, for example, but no one is declining to sell those to CA.

Rifle grenade spigots with an outer diametre of 0.60 inches or larger are considered DDs here except that the DOJ has ruled (and operates by the rule) that muzzle devices which serve as a grenade spigot but also have one or more other functions (muzzle brake, compensator, flash suppressor, etc.) are not DDs and thus not regulated.  Only devices which exclusively function as grenade spigots are restricted (to those who have the dangerous weapons permit for DDs).
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A simple solution is to get them to ship it to someone in another state, who will ship it to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use my Prescott Valley mailing address for that.  I'm not working out there anymore, but my brother will still receive things for me and I either pick them up or have him bring them over when he visits (or ship if it's cheap enough).
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Did he say "Beretter"?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#46]
FYI - Standard Parts has "Handyman" Special folding stocks for BM59.

The wood is rough, but serviceable I would say the price is excellent at $250 - the cheapest I have ever seen for a folder.

Standard Parts Handyman Stocks

I feel like a wood restoration challenge.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I received my Rough BM59 Folding Stock from Standard Parts and I am pleasantly surprised that it is much better than I expected.

The condition of the wood is actually far better than their pictures and far better than the fixed stock that came with my Centerfire kit.
It even came with the grip cap for stoage in the grip - Fantastic!!  The metal is worn, but solid and locks up like new.

It will clean up great and I will post pics when done.

Right now I have some stripper on the wood to clean off the hard finish and will revive that wood to former glory.

Here are the before pics.

" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I received my Rough BM59 Folding Stock from Standard Parts and I am pleasantly surprised that it is much better than I expected.

The condition of the wood is actually far better than their pictures and far better than the fixed stock that came with my Centerfire kit.
It even came with the grip cap for stoage in the grip - Fantastic!!  The metal is worn, but solid and locks up like new.

It will clean up great and I will post pics when done.

Right now I have some stripper on the wood to clean off the hard finish and will revive that wood to former glory.

Here are the before pics.

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/DSCN3583_zpsorjau99r.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/DSCN3584_zpsunwdbyrm.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/DSCN3585_zpsesi3jgou.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/DSCN3586_zpsc71w20gs.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

That actually looks pretty good.  I like guns with "character".  I'd just leave it as is.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got done refinishing the wood, came out pretty good.

</a>" /></a>" />
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top