User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Thanks for posting. I watched a few episodes of the first season last night on their website.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just watched the last episode.

Allen is tall son of a gun.

Walking into his house he is almost as tall as his door frame. He has to be like 6'8".
View Quote

In the show they said he is 6'3.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Just set up the DVR, can't wait!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was a fan of the last series "Alone" on the History channel. The man who won deserved it in spades. Alan was a Woodsman's woodsman. My hat's off to him.

The current crop for Alone, Season 2 looks...not so good. That's just going on a cursory examination of their dossier, but moreso their choice of 10 items.

I gather and assume that there are a few things that are not counted against them on their 10 items. A tarp being chief among them. A pack, is obvious. Camera gear goes without saying, according to the necessities of the style of production. (they self film).

There are 2.5 women. No, 3 but one sure appears to be a switch hitter. Has a nice fat reserve built up and is familiar with flannel.

Flying by the seat of my pants, only 3 have chosen a tarp as one of their choices. More than one have chosen 2 "emergency rations". IMHO, if you cant feed yourself, you've already lost. I guess the strategy could be that you'd outlast the others on that modest amount of extra food. One female AK native chose pemmican which looked to be substantial. It would be a tempting choice to have a week's worth of food.

One fellow had the ubiquitous knife, axe, saw, but added a "multi function wood working tool"....WTF is that?

I will never understand choosing a folding or bow saw when presented the choice of a saw. A real x cut is the only choice.

Even a knife is suspect, when given the environment. A properly chosen axe can take care of most tasks. A flint chip in a wooden handle more than takes care of the detail work.

I was really hoping the last season would attract people who knew their shit.

I think I'll be disappointed with this season if for no other reason than the contestants had a previous season to learn from and it certainly appears from their choices that they didn't.  I hope I'm wrong.

Looks like they offer a contest where you pick the succession of drop outs. Maybe I'll print out a spread sheet and made some guesses.

List of contestants/gear
View Quote

Coming from you, I guess I'm going to have to check it out.

The problem with television today is it's all a hodgepodge of the same stuff.  A lot of good shows probably slip through the cracks unnoticed.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

After seeing the swag list, their choices make much more sense.

No wonder nobody picked a tarp
View Quote
There it is.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Ridgerunner, did you apply to be on the show?  I thought you mentioned that you might apply last year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Question. How are they getting their batteries charged up for the cameras? Do they ever tell how that happens?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Question. How are they getting their batteries charged up for the cameras? Do they ever tell how that happens?
View Quote
If I remember, they make period and quick welfare checks.  They drop off batteries during these moments.  That was the premise for telling Alan he won??

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If I remember, they make period and quick welfare checks.  They drop off batteries during these moments.  That was the premise for telling Alan he won??  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still on the first season, episode 6 now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bet this guy would do well. http://youtu.be/KzMfeQyY5xM

View Quote

Yup..seen his stuff and it's impressive
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry bro, I hope I wasn't the douche that ruined it for you.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No worries. I'm the one that's slow and just found out about the show.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweet! Thanks OP I didn't realize this was coming back again. We loved the first season, hope this one is as good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

no sunglasses can be taken? fuck that would be brutal for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Alan stated "the participants must abide by all local hunting and fishing laws while they live on Vancouver Island."

But then the British Columbia wildlife manager said they had been given resident permits to hunt and fish and that "where you're going it's fairly simple.  There's not a lot of diversity. Maybe deer.  There's black bears, there's wolves. There's cougars."  

Sounds like a green-light to me.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Are they allowed to kill a bear? That seems like the way to go; setting a trap, etc. Then when they show up you're wearing a bearskin and eating bear jerky.
I do not believe they are allowed to kill a bear.  Vancouver Island is prime Black Bear hunting territory, so any hunting is heavily controlled.  They would need to be in season, have the valid permits (which aren't cheap) and I believe be ready to pay a substantial trophy fee if they actually killed a beer.

Alan stated "the participants must abide by all local hunting and fishing laws while they live on Vancouver Island."

But then the British Columbia wildlife manager said they had been given resident permits to hunt and fish and that "where you're going it's fairly simple.  There's not a lot of diversity. Maybe deer.  There's black bears, there's wolves. There's cougars."  

Sounds like a green-light to me.    

I hope someone can put an arrow in something substantial. I know I saw at least one bow as part of the gear selection during the premier.

Sitting down behind a natural blind is a pretty low energy way to pass some time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Y
Quoted:

The size of a few of them is what is intriguing to me as well...some of them are pretty thin. The two finalists last time had a couple things in common. Disposition and size.

[bold]Dude that dropped the ferro rod and said "fuck it!" was hilarious to me...dude...you have fire already...suck it up. [/bold]

They have full hunting and fishing rights...not sure if bear is included in that. Would assume so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just started watching the show (turned my cable back on after having it off 1 year)...actually tuned in to see the last 1/2 of the last episode of season 1. Are they allowed to kill a bear? That seems like the way to go; setting a trap, etc. Then when they show up you're wearing a bearskin and eating bear jerky.  

I was surprised that the guy who won, won in so few days (56 if I remember). He does seem like a stand-up guy. Good for him. I saw the next show where the contestants for season 2 were shown. I was surprised that some of them went into this "lean and mean." I'd make it a point to be in shape BUT put on an additional 20-25 pounds of fat before going in.

I too was surprised to see people pick an axe...and a saw.  Show looks to be interesting so I'll be watching this season.

The size of a few of them is what is intriguing to me as well...some of them are pretty thin. The two finalists last time had a couple things in common. Disposition and size.

[bold]Dude that dropped the ferro rod and said "fuck it!" was hilarious to me...dude...you have fire already...suck it up. [/bold]

They have full hunting and fishing rights...not sure if bear is included in that. Would assume so.

The lost fire steel guy just quitting really opened my eyes.  He is a well known and respected instructor, gear designer and guru over on BushcraftUSA.  From all the knives and gear he's designed, classes taught and YouTube videos made I was sure he would be one of the last.  

I was shocked at how he went out with a whimper.  I view almost all "survival instructors" with a very cynical eye these days.  Three are certainly some out there who can walk the walk, but for a lot of them I think it's mostly talk (If you can only demonstrate skills under controlled conditions then you're a talker in my estimation).

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not as up on my alternative lifestyle titles as I should be, maybe.

A lesbian, I guess. We'll see how she does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That smoke jumper is going to go nuts just being in a place without screaming kids.  

And who are you'all talking about the transgender person?  The heavyset Air Force lady?  She seems clearly female to me.

Not as up on my alternative lifestyle titles as I should be, maybe.

A lesbian, I guess. We'll see how she does.

I honestly thought that was a man.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey Ridgerunner, did you apply to be on the show?  I thought you mentioned that you might apply last year.
View Quote

I gave it some thought but decided against. Not in a place to walk away from the shop for that kind of time. Also wouldn't want to be away from my family for that long.

20 years ago and I would have definitely applied.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seemed like an odd restriction to me, too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Larry from MN and Jose from Canada are my picks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Polarized sunglasses help you see fish in the water.....plus there is no sun up there anyway so you don't need them to protect your eyes.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm kind of surprised there's not more of a following, here. Maybe SF would be a better post but there's not much traffic there.
View Quote

Honestly I don't turn the TV on much, but I might check out an episode or two of this show.
Never even heard of it
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for starting this thread!  I've never heard of this show before but watched the first couple episodes of season 1 last night.  Great show!

I love camping and did quite a bit growing up, but I would bail like the first guy if I had bears sniffing me right outside my crappy tarp tent.  That area is brutal and only for the most experienced woodsman.  IMHO, the risk to your life is pretty huge trying to survive out there with all those big predators and not worth some cash prize that isn't even enough to live on for the rest of your life.

I'm almost surprised nobody got eaten.  They dropped that first guy off right next to a family of bears sitting up in trees!  Nowhere to hide from that!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was a fan of the last series "Alone" on the History channel. The man who won deserved it in spades. Alan was a Woodsman's woodsman. My hat's off to him.

The current crop for Alone, Season 2 looks...not so good. That's just going on a cursory examination of their dossier, but moreso their choice of 10 items.

I gather and assume that there are a few things that are not counted against them on their 10 items. A tarp being chief among them. A pack, is obvious. Camera gear goes without saying, according to the necessities of the style of production. (they self film).

There are 2.5 women. No, 3 but one sure appears to be a switch hitter. Has a nice fat reserve built up and is familiar with flannel.

Flying by the seat of my pants, only 3 have chosen a tarp as one of their choices. More than one have chosen 2 "emergency rations". IMHO, if you cant feed yourself, you've already lost. I guess the strategy could be that you'd outlast the others on that modest amount of extra food. One female AK native chose pemmican which looked to be substantial. It would be a tempting choice to have a week's worth of food.

One fellow had the ubiquitous knife, axe, saw, but added a "multi function wood working tool"....WTF is that?

I will never understand choosing a folding or bow saw when presented the choice of a saw. A real x cut is the only choice.

Even a knife is suspect, when given the environment. A properly chosen axe can take care of most tasks. A flint chip in a wooden handle more than takes care of the detail work.

I think I'll be disappointed with this season if for no other reason than the contestants had a previous season to learn from and it certainly appears from their choices that they didn't.  I hope I'm wrong.

Looks like they offer a contest where you pick the succession of drop outs. Maybe I'll print out a spread sheet and made some guesses.

List of contestants/gear
View Quote

The thing you have to remember is that at the end of the day this is reality TV. If everyone on the show was a highly competent survivalist the show would be pretty boring. Some degree of incompetence is required so that the show has some drama.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The thing you have to remember is that at the end of the day this is reality TV. If everyone on the show was a highly competent survivalist the show would be pretty boring. Some degree of incompetence is required so that the show has some drama.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

List of contestants/gear

I actually disagree.  

That would be true if they were in a softer place, like a warm beach with lots of food and little danger, but in the spot where they are even the most competent survivalist will struggle.  I'm watching the first season now and they all seem like legit contestants.  Nobody added for comedy/drama factor.  Just reading this thread does sound like they added some people for entertainment value for the second season.  I think that will just increase the chances somebody gets hurt . . . but maybe thats what they're aiming for.  :(
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL

Those that can, do

Those that can't, teach
View Quote

Reading those bios, this season seems to be chock full of people listing instructing as part of their skillsets
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Reading those bios, this season seems to be chock full of people listing instructing as part of their skillsets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Those that can, do

Those that can't, teach

Yeah.

Those woods are a place where you're not going to fake it. I've never been to the PNW, but I have done my share of foul/cold weather primitive camping. Everything is more difficult. Every. Thing.

And, even though I enjoy the cold, that dark, gloomy, dampness will get to you after a bit.

If those folks don't have real world, real conditions experience they'll fall like flies. Just like the first several on last season.

It might be a matter of the phenomenon of humans being able to convince themselves they are much better than they actually are. I've done this sort of thing for along time and I'm certain that living up there like that will/would be a stone cold bitch at the very least.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Any thoughts on the guy who chose the hammock so that he could use it multiple purposes (gill net, paracord, fishing line etc)?

Seems like one of those choices that could prove to be genius or disastrous.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on the guy who chose the hammock so that he could use it multiple purposes (gill net, paracord, fishing line etc)?

Seems like one of those choices that could prove to be genius or disastrous.

View Quote

I noticed that.

That kind of hammock sucks to sleep in. It does get you off the ground which is fine when it's warm. Sucks when it's cold unless you have an underquilt.  Does make a nice place to sit. Sitting on the ground sucks after a while. The Indians had several contraptions for sitting.

IME, they suck at catching fish but maybe those fish up there are dumber than the fish here.

It would make a good anti-bear cache while providing other possible uses.

It may work out for him. I don't think I would have chosen it for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Allen won, he was the smartest, but he had the most to eat.
View Quote

Like I said in the other thread, everyone is going to be searching for washed up plastic bottles on the shore so they can use his idea from season 1.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you paid attention during the first season, what you know is only a small part of it. They all knew what to do to survive.

The ones that lasted had something you can't measure and there is no way to know if you have it until you are there.

Allen won, he was the smartest, but he had the most to eat. Sam was probably the toughest mentally. He was in a daze from lack of food and still lasted 4 more days. The show went from day 50 with him just staring into nothing to horrible storms constantly blowing against his shelter. He gave up on day 54. If Sam had moved his shelter into the woods to get protection from the wind and had found a source of food like the kelp Allen ate everyday, there is no tell how long they would have lasted.
View Quote

Agree with all of that.

Sam was missing his wife and looming delivery of his baby, too. That had to be huge for a young fella like that.

I remember my dad leaving for a deer hunting trip. I was maybe six. He was supposed to be gone for a week and I was in the driveway crying and waving as he left. (my dad was God, Daniel Boone, and Hercules all in one, as far as I was concerned as a kid). He came back the next day.

Years later, we were talking about it and he said something like "I was on that stand thinking I'd much rather be with my little boy. So...I came home".

Now that I have had a son that age, I totally get where his head was.

Was watching a video produced by some of the world's elite ice climbers who'd done it all. They were sitting in a snow cave. Each admitted they'd rather be home with their family and head back the next day.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, that was brilliant and was giving a pot of food every morning.

I was shocked at how full those things were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Allen won, he was the smartest, but he had the most to eat.

Like I said in the other thread, everyone is going to be searching for washed up plastic bottles on the shore so they can use his idea from season 1.

Yeah, that was brilliant and was giving a pot of food every morning.

I was shocked at how full those things were.

Another thing about Alan. He wasn't picky about what went in his mouth. I'm here to tell you that "edible" doesn't mean "tasty" by any stretch of Euell Gibbon's imagination.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Those woods are a place where you're not going to fake it. I've never been to the PNW, but I have done my share of foul/cold weather primitive camping. Everything is more difficult. Every. Thing.

And, even though I enjoy the cold, that dark, gloomy, dampness will get to you after a bit.
View Quote

Cold? Damp? Wet? Gloomy?
Hey , sounds like HERE!
They practically kill a virgin to celebrate on the rare days that sunlight makes an appearance
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I watched the show every episode last season and will do the same this season. I love this genre and dearly wish I had the skill set.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
That and I'll bet getting permits and what all to do something like that is a hassle. So, if they were already in place in BC,  that would make sense.

But, yeah. I'd like to see one in a deciduous hardwood forest or down in the swamps. And, during hunting season. Not sure if there'd be a way to get permission for non standard trapping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's back on that nasty ass Vancouver Island with some of the worst weather on the planet....and during winter again.  Ugggh.  

But there has already been some experience doing this.  Hope someone was paying attention.

Well, if they did it on a tropical island with fresh water and fruit and fish you could swim out and catch, they'd be their indefinitely.

I'd bet the viewership would suffer if it were in some desert environment. I hate dry and sand. Even watching it, sucks. All the Surivorman, Bear Grills, Dual Survival shows set in the desert, I don't care for at all.

I'm surprised they picked the same spot to film this season.  I thought for sure they'd do another environment.  I guess they had to find a place that had just enough food to keep you alive to film an entire season, but not in a place that you could survive indefinitely.

That and I'll bet getting permits and what all to do something like that is a hassle. So, if they were already in place in BC,  that would make sense.

But, yeah. I'd like to see one in a deciduous hardwood forest or down in the swamps. And, during hunting season. Not sure if there'd be a way to get permission for non standard trapping.

I think the huge bear population of Vancouver Island had a ton to do with the shows success. Lots of Blair Witch type shots of dudes who truly believed they were about to die. Shit like that is gold heading into a commercial break or previews for the next episode. Take that away, and you lose a lot of casual viewers.

There aren't a lot places in the world they could get so many of those moments.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Pretty sure they sought out a transgender person.

Pretty sure that person got a spot ahead of someone more qualified because of their "status"

Kind of taints their selection process, for me.
View Quote

LMAO if you think they just auditioned hundreds or thousands of people and took the 10 most qualified people.

You can't be that naive....right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#44]
What the heck does it have to do with history?  I need to cancel my service...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LMAO if you think they just auditioned hundreds or thousands of people and took the 10 most qualified people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sure they sought out a transgender person.

Pretty sure that person got a spot ahead of someone more qualified because of their "status"

Kind of taints their selection process, for me.

Depends on your definition of most qualified. That could be most likely to last the longest. Most likely to poison themselves with brackish water or chop off a finger. Most comedic relief.  Most likely to have a log cabin, a bear skin rug, fireplace and a vegetable garden planted and a tamed cougar by the end of the show.

Far down on that list, for me, would be most qualified cause they enjoy sex with someone who possesses the same genitalia.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What the heck does it have to do with history?  I need to cancel my service...
View Quote

A hell of a lot more than half of the other trash they play.

Display of skills and mindset your ancestors had?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Question as I don't watch much TV anymore. Is this a historical show since its on the History Chanel?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Question as I don't watch much TV anymore. Is this a historical show since its on the History Chanel?
View Quote

No. It's a "reality" show/competition. But, imho, it ain't like any other reality show.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would NEVER fuck Martha Stewart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Justin is a US military sniper, I'm fucking Martha Stewart.

I would NEVER fuck Martha Stewart

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No. It's a "reality" show/competition. But, imho, it ain't like any other reality show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear about it a bit. Might check it out.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top