Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I just want to know what Desmond thinks today. He tapped without actually seeing a bear. He talked a big game and was a baby. Here you have Nicole just chillin fishin with the Bears. They are coexisting great. My money is on her.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Desmond had to turn in his man card, moved to New York to try modeling, and hasn't been heard from since.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Proud of Justin.  That dude can tap now, I don't even care.  What he did was damn meaningful.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Larry will beat the show into submission.

I figure Dave or Justin (both) will leave next.  

I honestly thought Justin was going to do his last ditch climb and be done, which is what he planned apparently, but he decided to stay.  

Jose might be too gentile of a soul to stay very long, but he's also VERY patient.
View Quote

I was trying to remember the 5th person, have we even seen Dave in 2 episodes now?  Or was it Larry?  Dave and Larry are running together for me.

I wonder how Jose will do when his wilderness living turns back into survival.  I like his mindset but you have to be sure you're in the right mode.

I finally caught up on the show so I can finally comment...  Early in the thread someone ask about safety glasses.  They are allowed a pair of glasses in the basic equipment, so acquire a prescription for zero correction glasses and there you go.  Or a really strong magnification set to be a backup fire starter if they were in a sunnier place.

I was also pondering the bending of the rules, imagining if Jose was really a ninja.  They're supposed to be mic'ed up all the time, right?  But how much video do they need to produce?  How much could you get away with if your mic "malfunctions" and you leave the GPS in camp.  "I was hungry and slept the day away".  Could you get away with half a day like that?  What are they going to do, strand you on a desertmaritime island (yes, yes, lose the money, okay).  But you're off in the boonies for a reason.  How about bagging a bear or other cute animal off-camera?  Last season Sam was pretty close to a small town, he must have figured it out from the boat traffic eventually, so flag down a boat and make a deal for supplies.  They won't turn you in if they think they're getting $100k after you win.  The cast apparently has access to the video after they take it, possibly you could even delete things if you make a mistake.  Have a nice second camp a few hundred yards away with your bear meat smoker, and you just don't get skinny as fast as the other contestants.

Or just equipment shenanigans, they have a check but really how thorough are they...  Once you're out there, "find it" on the beach.  Extra paracord sewn into clothes seams.  Molten suet poured into your pack frame or other open areas and left to harden.  I wanted to check Tracy's cap for razor blades behind the flag patch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was trying to remember the 5th person, have we even seen Dave in 2 episodes now?  Or was it Larry?  Dave and Larry are running together for me.

I wonder how Jose will do when his wilderness living turns back into survival.  I like his mindset but you have to be sure you're in the right mode.

I finally caught up on the show so I can finally comment...  Early in the thread someone ask about safety glasses.  They are allowed a pair of glasses in the basic equipment, so acquire a prescription for zero correction glasses and there you go.  Or a really strong magnification set to be a backup fire starter if they were in a sunnier place.

I was also pondering the bending of the rules, imagining if Jose was really a ninja.  They're supposed to be mic'ed up all the time, right?  But how much video do they need to produce?  How much could you get away with if your mic "malfunctions" and you leave the GPS in camp.  "I was hungry and slept the day away".  Could you get away with half a day like that?  What are they going to do, strand you on a desertmaritime island (yes, yes, lose the money, okay).  But you're off in the boonies for a reason.  How about bagging a bear or other cute animal off-camera?  Last season Sam was pretty close to a small town, he must have figured it out from the boat traffic eventually, so flag down a boat and make a deal for supplies.  They won't turn you in if they think they're getting $100k after you win.  The cast apparently has access to the video after they take it, possibly you could even delete things if you make a mistake.  Have a nice second camp a few hundred yards away with your bear meat smoker, and you just don't get skinny as fast as the other contestants.

Or just equipment shenanigans, they have a check but really how thorough are they...  Once you're out there, "find it" on the beach.  Extra paracord sewn into clothes seams.  Molten suet poured into your pack frame or other open areas and left to harden.  I wanted to check Tracy's cap for razor blades behind the flag patch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larry will beat the show into submission.

I figure Dave or Justin (both) will leave next.  

I honestly thought Justin was going to do his last ditch climb and be done, which is what he planned apparently, but he decided to stay.  

Jose might be too gentile of a soul to stay very long, but he's also VERY patient.

Don't forget the spare ferro rod fire starter in the "prison wallet" trick.  

I like Nichole her attitude is great and she's well fed.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just want to know what Desmond thinks today. He tapped without actually seeing a bear. He talked a big game and was a baby. Here you have Nicole just chillin fishin with the Bears. They are coexisting great. My money is on her.
View Quote

Just remember your entire opinion is ebing shaped by the editors and what they want you to see.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Proud of Justin.  That dude can tap now, I don't even care.  What he did was damn meaningful.
View Quote

Sure was. Respect.

Jose is certainly a gentle soul. I think he's gonna need outriggers on his canoe.

Nicole is about as setup as one could be. She's there for the long haul.

Poor David. Dude's gotta figure out how to fish that area OR should he move like Larry did?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]

TV listing descriptions for this week and next give a clear indication of how many more drop out this week and who two of the remaining ones will be.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

TV listing descriptions for this week and next give a clear indication of how many more drop out this week and who two of the remaining ones will be.

View Quote

Care to share?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Care to share?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to share?

don't spoil it
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

don't spoil it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to share?

don't spoil it

IF the shows matrix is any clue we already know.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]
As time grind on:

"Boredom is certainly not an evil to be taken lightly: it will ultimately etch lines of true despair onto a face. It makes beings with as little love for each other as humans nonetheless seek each other with such intensity, and in this way becomes the source of sociability."
Arthur Schopenhauer
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Once again nothing on Nicole.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Dang he was killing it but just got bored. Eyes on the prize buddy!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Once again nothing on Nicole.
View Quote

Yeah, but next week seals raid her fishing net, David falls in the water and Jose's kayak leaks.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

He just decided there was a better prize to be had than the cash. I have a lot of respect for him.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He just decided there was a better prize to be had than the cash. I have a lot of respect for him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either that or he found out he really doesn't like himself and he is as close to killing himself as any of the veterans he is attempting to save from such a fate.  Better to go back to the highly organised system of denial we call civilization before he found out darker truths about himself and why he truly does what he does.  I applaud his decision as much as Mike's and the others, but not because he hiked up a hill for some cause, because they all reached their personal limits and got out before they reached a point of no turning back.
link

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice success for Larry with the traps, but a lot of work.  He has a plastic bucket that could be set up with the balance-beam trap into water, and potentially get multiples without being reset.

I was just waiting for David's group of crab to be washed away by a big wave, that would be his luck.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That adventure in his pick up truck could be a little easier with five hundred g's, oh well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That adventure in his pick up truck could be a little easier with five hundred g's, oh well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought he talked himself out of it at one point when he said something to the effect of "giving up for one lousy meal".  At that point I really thought he knew it was foolish to give up for some food.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#21]
So how does everybody think this season compares to last year? I feel like the contestants are much better but the show is dragging along. Last year to me seemed more entertaining. But, maybe that was because of the failure shown by those last year.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I gotta catch up. I'm like 3 shows behind cause my DSL internet combined with history channel's crappy format really suck for me to watch the episodes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So how does everybody think this season compares to last year? I feel like the contestants are much better but the show is dragging along. Last year to me seemed more entertaining. But, maybe that was because of the failure shown by those last year.
View Quote

I am pretty impressed that they got 5 people to 35 days, even with a slightly easier start date.  Could have been 7 really.

As for entertaining, I don't know.  Maybe just not as naturally entertaining as Alan?  Or just not as good on the video collection?  I enjoy it, it's just a different pace than something like Ultimate Survival Alaska.  I do really like the self-filming and the open-ended nature of it.  One of my other favorite shows, I forget the name, was that one where they stranded 2-person teams in an unknown location and they had to race back to a certain big city.  One time they started in the jungle in South America, and one time in Mongolia.  The scope of options was very appealing to me, although I'm sure it must have driven the producers nuts.  They should do that sort of thing with self-filming too, a la The Running Man book.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#24]

These folks are at 35, at which point in Season 1 there were also four contestants left. Alan stayed 56 days.

I'll be curious to see what the final result is.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am pretty impressed that they got 5 people to 35 days, even with a slightly easier start date.  Could have been 7 really.

As for entertaining, I don't know.  Maybe just not as naturally entertaining as Alan?  Or just not as good on the video collection?  I enjoy it, it's just a different pace than something like Ultimate Survival Alaska.  I do really like the self-filming and the open-ended nature of it.  One of my other favorite shows, I forget the name, was that one where they stranded 2-person teams in an unknown location and they had to race back to a certain big city.  One time they started in the jungle in South America, and one time in Mongolia.  The scope of options was very appealing to me, although I'm sure it must have driven the producers nuts.  They should do that sort of thing with self-filming too, a la The Running Man book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely more impressed with their ability this year but the show seems like something I have on in the background and I don't seem to miss anything.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I like it better this year.

Jose is on a different level than anyone else.

Justin should have thought up some projects to keep his mind busy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm still finding it interesting how no one is pontificating about how many others are left in the challenge. I felt like they talked about that more last season but maybe I'm mistaken?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I like it better this year.

Jose is on a different level than anyone else.

Justin should have thought up some projects to keep his mind busy.
View Quote
Yep my wife and I kept saying dude just build something.  Build a table.  Build a cabin.  Build something.  He was making it pretty good.  

But he found what he was looking for, which wasn't $500K, apparently.  That's ok.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I gotta catch up. I'm like 3 shows behind cause my DSL internet combined with history channel's crappy format really suck for me to watch the episodes.
View Quote

The last episode turned into a poop thread.......
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I wonder if the show was filmed the same time of year as last year.  Season One had relentless rain and storms, even 30 days can make a difference in the PNW as far as when the show starts filming.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wonder if the show was filmed the same time of year as last year.  Season One had relentless rain and storms, even 30 days can make a difference in the PNW as far as when the show starts filming.
View Quote

This show seems to have been run and taped maybe two months ahead of where they were last year.  There were salmon runs and migrating waterfowl in season 2.  Plus the weather hasn't turned into the consistantly nasty foul stuff that the PNW is known for.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:27:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This show seems to have been run and taped maybe two months ahead of where they were last year.  There were salmon runs and migrating waterfowl in season 2.  Plus the weather hasn't turned into the consistantly nasty foul stuff that the PNW is known for.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea, had they had a little more time before the winter/rain hit last season they would have lasted much longer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I watched Battlebots instead.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As time grind on:

"Boredom is certainly not an evil to be taken lightly: it will ultimately etch lines of true despair onto a face. It makes beings with as little love for each other as humans nonetheless seek each other with such intensity, and in this way becomes the source of sociability."
Arthur Schopenhauer
View Quote

Another perspective;

I stabbed the beep beep freaking mouse with my beep beep spear, beep, beep, beep, and then I slit his freaking throat.

Larry Roberts
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#35]
All caught up, but I nodded off for the last half of the last episode. I'll have to watch it again.

It'd be funny to watch the episode where Nicole set the fish free with Dave and Larry just to watch them  have an aneurism. She has definitely got the premium spot. Combined with her knowledge, she may walk with the money.

I'm wondering if she's taking tomorrow's fish for granted or just doesn't know how to preserve one. Her botanicals knowledge appears to be solid and I'm know it makes a big difference in one's perspective and confidence when you're standing there seeing a supermarket and pharmacy instead of just a bunch of woods.

Can't believe Jose had so much skill but built such a narrow beam boat when he had plenty of tarp. I guess stuff happens when you're in a hurry and calorie deficient. I'm guessing a couple simple outriggers and he'll be in business.

Choked up a little with Justin at the top of the mountain. I think he might have been talking to himself as much as the audience he was reaching out to.  I hope this turns out to be a real positive for him.

Chuckled when Larry mentioned this was the first time trying the Paiute deadfall. One trick is to anchor the part of the deadfall that touches the ground. That back end sliding around makes it near impossible to set that touchy trigger. I prefer the figure four but it does take quite a bit more practice in getting the geometry right on the trigger pieces. Plus you want to crank out a bunch, not one or two.

David seems to have some genuinely bad luck. That'd be very frustrating. Was pretty cool to see him have that "perfect day". I know what those moments feel like and he got to share his with a bunch of people he'll never meet.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Nicole is kicking ass, she knows how to survive in all aspects.  Jose does as well.

Quoted:
View Quote

I like turtles.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nicole is kicking ass, she knows how to survive in all aspects.  Jose does as well.

I like turtles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like turtles.

Well, I could too if I lived by a river where the 25 pound salmon are practically jumping into my frying pan.

I'm kidding, of course. But she does have a prime spot. She just, also has the skills to capitalize on it.

IMHO, letting fish go is short sighted. Smoke that bad boy. Or, lacking those skills, tie it up or corral it and have meat on the hoof for later.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well, I could too if I lived by a river where the 25 pound salmon are practically jumping into my frying pan.

I'm kidding, of course. But she does have a prime spot. She just, also has the skills to capitalize on it.

IMHO, letting fish go is short sighted. Smoke that bad boy. Or, lacking those skills, tie it up or corral it and have meat on the hoof for later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like turtles.

She picked the 5x5" net instead of the 2.5" like other contestants.  She put the net in the correct spot thanks to her biology background.  She has shown that she can thrive even without salmon.

Sorry you don't have the education for survival that she has.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

She picked the 5x5" net instead of the 2.5" like other contestants.  She put the net in the correct spot thanks to her biology background.  She has shown that she can thrive even without salmon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like turtles.

I would take that bet/contest.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I would too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

David seems to have some genuinely bad luck. That'd be very frustrating. Was pretty cool to see him have that "perfect day". I know what those moments feel like and he got to share his with a bunch of people he'll never meet.
View Quote

He needs to go into the cedar tree business, the damn things are going in by the hundreds!

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think Jose is very good at what he does, but sometimes he makes some of what I'd consider to be the stupidest common sense mistakes!

"I'm so worried about this ultra-thin tarp being punctured and torn on the rocks, that I'm going to PUNCTURE THIS THIN TARP with my 'needle' to stitch and tie on these wooden slats to protect the bottom of my tarp from punctures!"

Then "OH SHIT!  My CANOE IS LEAKING!"  

REALLY?!?!?!?  YOU DIDN'T FUCKING SEE THAT COMING?  YOU PUT HOLES IN IT - to PROTECT IT FROM GETTING HOLES IN IT - and didn't use any TAR or SEALANT on your holes you put in it to keep it from getting holes in it!!!!  

Fuck that was a waste of a good tarp!  
View Quote

He's got to be playing it up for the camera. Has to be. Too much skill to be that dumb.

Not sure if there are trees up there with enough pitch content to get a good sealant but I'd think there is.

It looked like the canoe boy's tarp last season was much more substantial than Jose's.

IMHO, that last canoe was more appropriate for the task at hand. It has to be good enough, not an art project. Another reason I think Jose's playing for the camera.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He needs to go into the cedar tree business, the damn things are going in by the hundreds!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thnking that's just a bad spot. He has to find a run, like Nicole has, and not just rely on the tide. An outlet may not be anywhere close to him, though. No idea.

What he's doing ain't workin well. That's for sure.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont see it as bad luck.  I see it as repeatedly puting your net in the same spot is counter productive if you k ow there could be drift damage.  Why not move it?  Or move your location?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He's got to be playing it up for the camera. Has to be. Too much skill to be that dumb.

Not sure if there are trees up there with enough pitch content to get a good sealant but I'd think there is.

It looked like the canoe boy's tarp last season was much more substantial than Jose's.

IMHO, that last canoe was more appropriate for the task at hand. It has to be good enough, not an art project. Another reason I think Jose's playing for the camera.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think Jose is very good at what he does, but sometimes he makes some of what I'd consider to be the stupidest common sense mistakes!

"I'm so worried about this ultra-thin tarp being punctured and torn on the rocks, that I'm going to PUNCTURE THIS THIN TARP with my 'needle' to stitch and tie on these wooden slats to protect the bottom of my tarp from punctures!"

REALLY?!?!?!?  YOU DIDN'T FUCKING SEE THAT COMING?  YOU PUT HOLES IN IT - to PROTECT IT FROM GETTING HOLES IN IT - and didn't use any TAR or SEALANT on your holes you put in it to keep it from getting holes in it!!!!  

well to be fair in the episode prior to showed what appeared to be him falling in the water. . . then you watch the episode and it was just him ALMOST falling in the water.

Frankly, my money is still on him.

At some point things will get really rough and I think Nicole has had it so easy that the first sign of a rough patch ahead she'll be out (although I am crazy impressed with her for now, and maybe she's just so awesome she's making it look easy!)
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Larry?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I have 4 episodes I need to catch up on.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
well to be fair in the episode prior to showed what appeared to be him falling in the water. . . then you watch the episode and it was just him ALMOST falling in the water.

At some point things will get really rough and I think Nicole has had it so easy that the first sign of a rough patch ahead she'll be out (although I am crazy impressed with her for now, and maybe she's just so awesome she's making it look easy!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Nicole is mentally strong.  Her thing will be her kids.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#50]
1 episode behind now.

Hippy girl May last longer then I expected.

Hippy Colorado guy was a surprise to me to tap out.

Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top