Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 28
Posted: 4/19/2016 8:06:01 PM EDT
Title edit to prevent butthurt. Some are still discussing the show. There is no new info except that next season is in Patagonia.

Carry on.

I was a fan of the last series "Alone" on the History channel. The man who won deserved it in spades. Alan was a Woodsman's woodsman. My hat's off to him.

The current crop for Alone, Season 2 looks...not so good. That's just going on a cursory examination of their dossier, but moreso their choice of 10 items.

I gather and assume that there are a few things that are not counted against them on their 10 items. A tarp being chief among them. A pack, is obvious. Camera gear goes without saying, according to the necessities of the style of production. (they self film).

There are 2.5 women. No, 3 but one sure appears to be a switch hitter. Has a nice fat reserve built up and is familiar with flannel.

Flying by the seat of my pants, only 3 have chosen a tarp as one of their choices. More than one have chosen 2 "emergency rations". IMHO, if you cant feed yourself, you've already lost. I guess the strategy could be that you'd outlast the others on that modest amount of extra food. One female AK native chose pemmican which looked to be substantial. It would be a tempting choice to have a week's worth of food.

One fellow had the ubiquitous knife, axe, saw, but added a "multi function wood working tool"....WTF is that?

I will never understand choosing a folding or bow saw when presented the choice of a saw. A real x cut is the only choice.

Even a knife is suspect, when given the environment. A properly chosen axe can take care of most tasks. A flint chip in a wooden handle more than takes care of the detail work.

I was really hoping the last season would attract people who knew their shit.

I think I'll be disappointed with this season if for no other reason than the contestants had a previous season to learn from and it certainly appears from their choices that they didn't.  I hope I'm wrong.

Looks like they offer a contest where you pick the succession of drop outs. Maybe I'll print out a spread sheet and made some guesses.

List of contestants/gear
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I posted a thread about the season opener last week, where they showed the selection process and the training they went through. Alan was the narrator.

Nobody cared.

Me? I love the show.

ETA: you're right about this years crop though. Looks like a bunch of idiots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I posted a thread about the season opener last week, where they showed the selection process and the training they went through. Alan was the narrator.

Nobody cared.

Me? I love the show.

ETA: you're right about this years crop though. Looks like a bunch of idiots.
View Quote

I'm sorry I missed your thread. I do love the premise of the show

Alan was THE MAN.  Had very admirable qualities as a human. Having spent some time alone in the woods, I can appreciate everything the man had to say.

I'm kind of surprised there's not more of a following, here. Maybe SF would be a better post but there's not much traffic there.

ETA Would you mind posting the link. I don't see it, readily. Would enjoy what you described.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm excited about it, not many compelling shows on nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be watching...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag and OP, weren't you going to try out?  Or am I thinking about someone else?  Someone from the last thread said or hinted that they would audition.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I think anyone thinking they are going to build a water/weather tight shelter with natural materials better be Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton and Jim Bridger all rolled into one if they're going to  do it before everything gets wet and they freeze.

It's possible. But not probable...among this lot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Mitch didn't last long...and he teaches Bushcraft.......

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I liked Alan too. I'm glad he won, He was very intertaining. I already have the series set to record on the dvr. Its going to be interesting
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tag and OP, weren't you going to try out?  Or am I thinking about someone else?  Someone from the last thread said or hinted that they would audition.
View Quote

I don't like me, that much. 'Bout a week of me is all I can take.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I am unaware of the show but it soulds good. What night is it on?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
In season 1, it wasn't until the episode where Alan built the fish traps that I was sure he was going to win.

Alan has his own YouTube channel, he is Guardian556 if you want to see his own videos.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Should be fun to watch again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I just started watching the show (turned my cable back on after having it off 1 year)...actually tuned in to see the last 1/2 of the last episode of season 1. Are they allowed to kill a bear? That seems like the way to go; setting a trap, etc. Then when they show up you're wearing a bearskin and eating bear jerky.  

I was surprised that the guy who won, won in so few days (56 if I remember). He does seem like a stand-up guy. Good for him. I saw the next show where the contestants for season 2 were shown. I was surprised that some of them went into this "lean and mean." I'd make it a point to be in shape BUT put on an additional 20-25 pounds of fat before going in.

I too was surprised to see people pick an axe...and a saw.  Show looks to be interesting so I'll be watching this season.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I really enjoyed last season and am looking forward to this new one.

Alan did a great job narrating the preview episode. The guy has a great voice for that kind of work. No homo.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Bet this guy would do well.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Agree that the 1st season contestants looked better, but they were also in probably one of the worst climates as well.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, he actually did.

The Robinette guy who lost his ferro rod is the one who surprised me. I figured he could go a while, but he folded.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mitch didn't last long...and he teaches Bushcraft.......

Yeah, he actually did.

The Robinette guy who lost his ferro rod is the one who surprised me. I figured he could go a while, but he folded.

It's in the mind

Lucas had the skills, by far. But some demons in his head sunk him. I will admit, that could have been me. It's not an easy thing...to be alone with yourself. There comes a point, if you have the skill, where getting along with Nature is the easier part.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#22]
This show is one of my favorites.  Only saw part of last weeks episode, hopefully they'll replay it Thursday.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just started watching the show (turned my cable back on after having it off 1 year)...actually tuned in to see the last 1/2 of the last episode of season 1. Are they allowed to kill a bear? That seems like the way to go; setting a trap, etc. Then when they show up you're wearing a bearskin and eating bear jerky.  

I was surprised that the guy who won, won in so few days (56 if I remember). He does seem like a stand-up guy. Good for him. I saw the next show where the contestants for season 2 were shown. I was surprised that some of them went into this "lean and mean." I'd make it a point to be in shape BUT put on an additional 20-25 pounds of fat before going in.

I too was surprised to see people pick an axe...and a saw.  Show looks to be interesting so I'll be watching this season.
View Quote

You're in FL.

An axe and a saw (of proper style) are entirely appropriate for this environment. Especially for the long haul.

I DO enjoy the folks who show up for these threads. Truly enjoy kindred spirits.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bet this guy would do well. http://youtu.be/KzMfeQyY5xM

View Quote

Maybe, if he studied N VC.

I would fare very poorly in the jungle. Fairly well in deciduous forest. Mediocre, at best in N VC island.

It all depends on your expertise. Very, very few excel at more than one or two locals.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"That is another thing I have thought about while being out here. We use too many health and beauty products. Know what I have used the whole time I have been out here? Sand and water... and it has been sufficient"

Allen just said that.
View Quote

He's right, ya know.

Sand and salt water. Some sea weed. A modicum of knowledge about the local flora and fauna. The ability and knowledge of how to stay dry and warm.

Then...the ability to be alone with your self. The discipline to do what needs done, no matter how you feel or what the weather. The acceptance of discomfort when you're already uncomfortable. The empty trap that you put effort into, over and over.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#28]
not seen the show but will check it out, I sometimes watch survivorman, bear grylls, and naked and afraid. watched a little survivor when it first started. Not sure I could last long at all, but do like learning some of the stuff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Is the first season available on Netflix/amazon/history.com?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

history
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

i checked the guide, season 1 is rerunning on thursday morning, if you get history. I dvr the first 2, as I am outta space on it at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm thinking Jose has a good chance of staying.  Got about 3 I'm picking for the long haul.  

Alan was the only guy I picked last year.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is Survivorman on steroids because this isn't just surviving. The goal is to live there. Alone.

There is a guy crying right now.

"This is so hard doing this alone. It would be so much easier with a friend. No one knows when we will be done. I don't want to spend Christmas here" sob sob sob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
not seen the show but will check it out, I sometimes watch survivorman, bear grylls, and naked and afraid. watched a little survivor when it first started. Not sure I could last long at all, but do like learning some of the stuff.

This is Survivorman on steroids because this isn't just surviving. The goal is to live there. Alone.

There is a guy crying right now.

"This is so hard doing this alone. It would be so much easier with a friend. No one knows when we will be done. I don't want to spend Christmas here" sob sob sob

You seeing a preview?

Premier is supposed to be Thurs. ??

But, yeah. Do these people not understand what they signed up for. Title is "Alone".

I think very few people have actually been truly alone for very long. It's in interesting experience, after a while and I've not come close to the amount of time it would take to win this contest.

After just a few days, you start making up conversations. Then, it gets interesting when you start answering yourself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I went to high school with the guy Randy, it was pretty crazy seeing someone I used to go to school with on tv
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#39]
This makes me so happy.  This is literally the only reality show I've ever liked.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Really cool show. Wife and I watched last season. I'm ready for Thursday.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Big fan of pemmican.

But, given the choice would you rather have 5 pounds of jerk, or of rice/beans?  Because, evidently rice/beans is a choice.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#43]
5lbs of jerky is 6,400 calories.

Beans and rice exceed that by a factor of 3 depending on the mix and 5lbs dry.

Unless by "jerk" you meant some sort of fatty pemmican.  But lean dried meat would be a poor choice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I would want carbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Big fan of pemmican.

But, given the choice would you rather have 5 pounds of jerk, or of rice/beans?  Because, evidently rice/beans is a choice.

I would want carbs.

Me too. Even though the numbers say go with the fat/protein.

Long hunters and Indians carried pemmican but, they didn't want fire if unnecessary. I'm going with the rice/bean stretcher/belly filler.

I dunno. I could be wrong on this one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#45]
The other side would be, if you went with a fatty pemmican, your body would quickly begin mobilizing your own fat stores as needed.  Where if you, likely rationed, your beans and rice, it would take longer for that to occur and the feeling of hunger would intensify the entire time.

On one hand you could look at that as the smart thing to do, keeping your body fat until you need it.  On the other hand, it would become miserable. (imho)
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#46]
If Justin is a US military sniper, I'm fucking Martha Stewart.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The other side would be, if you went with a fatty pemmican, your body would quickly begin mobilizing your own fat stores as needed.  Where if you, likely rationed, your beans and rice, it would take longer for that to occur and the feeling of hunger would intensify the entire time.

On one hand you could look at that as the smart thing to do, keeping your body fat until you need it.  On the other hand, it would become miserable. (imho)
View Quote

Very valid points and observations.

I don't know what I'd choose. Experience and historical knowledge tell me to take the fat and protein. Numbers and my fat ass tell me to take the carbs and justify it as being protein when you mix rice and beans.

I don't think I'd spend one of my ten items on food, in the end. If one week of food will make the difference, you're not going to win, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Pretty sure they sought out a transgender person.

Pretty sure that person got a spot ahead of someone more qualified because of their "status"

Kind of taints their selection process, for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#50]
That one week of food is for the first week. Get your shelter set up well and scout the local sources of game and food.

Building a good shelter takes time and calories, as does long recon missions. A good shelter will go long way to keep your morale up over the long haul. I think last year runner up could have won but he had really shitty shelter and had to spend a lot of time in it near the end.

I forget his name but he was my pick from the first episode.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top