Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2001 9:27:50 AM EDT
April 26, 2001 -- A courageous rape victim helped capture her attacker yesterday by calling the cell phone he stole from her and telling him she wanted to see him again - luring him into the hands of cops, authorities said.
"Why don't you come back and meet me here?" the woman told the unsuspecting suspect at the behest of police officers after she was robbed and sexually assaulted at her Queens apartment building.

The ruse led Samuel Cuspert, 29, to blithely stroll down the street to the victim's building while drinking a beer, under the mistaken belief that she had forgiven him.

The ex-con even delivered damning evidence: the victim's panties and cell phone were stuffed in his pants pockets.

"She did well, she was very good," Sgt. Jacob Brown said of the 29-year-old woman who made the convincing telephone call to the assailant.

Cuspert, who has a long criminal record, is a suspect in a series of unsolved sex attacks in The Bronx, a source said.

He was released from parole custody Feb. 22, five months after being freed on a 21/2 year prison sentence for an attempted robbery in Queens.

The drama unfolded about 12:30 a.m. as the victim, a well-dressed Chilean immigrant returning home from work by subway, walked to her apartment on 30th Road near 14th Street in Astoria.

Cuspert came "creeping up behind" the victim and "shoved her into the vestibule," Brown said.

He took $70 and her cell phone after jabbing at her neck with a pair of tweezers he plucked from her handbag. But he didn't stop there.

"I want what's behind the pocketbook," Brown quoted Cuspert as telling the victim, who had her pocketbook in front of her waist.

"She feared for her life . . . she didn't want to be hurt," Brown said. "He threw her onto the floor, ripped her pants off and had sex with her."

When Officer Thomas Galnick responded to the scene, the victim was "crying, upset and really shook up," Brown said.

After half an hour of fruitlessly searching for the predator, Brown and Galnick decided to gamble.

They got the victim to call the rapist on the stolen phone, with an eye toward making him believe she needed the phone back and really wanted to meet him again.

"We were explaining to her that he has [the] cell phone," said Brown. "She calls him and says words to the effect of, 'Look, it wasn't bad, why don't you come back and meet me?'"

The woman called from a police cell phone. Cuspert spoke to her briefly.

After 40 minutes went by, it didn't seem like the suspect would show up, and the victim was driven by ambulance to Elmhurst Hospital - just as a man fitting the rapist's description came strolling down the street.

Cops stopped Cuspert for drinking a 40-ounce bottle of Heineken and found the victim's panties and cell phone when they patted him down for a weapon.

Police said they also found $67 on him - the amount stolen from the victim minus the $3 he shelled out for his beer.

The ambulance returned to the scene to allow the victim to identify Cuspert as her attacker, cops said.

Cuspert confessed to having sex with the woman, but insisted it was consensual, investigators said. The victim said they were strangers and the encounter was forced.

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Criminal stupidity.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Would be a better ending if instead she called him on her own and when he returned she shot him dead!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
A good ending to a horrible thing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Kevin I believe that what you are suggesting is murder.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#5]
How about isolating rapists and other bad guys to an island, we could name it..."ABSOLON" just like the movie...they could kill and rape eachother...yeah, thats the ticket!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Jim Beam, I would call it justice, not murder.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, let me change it then - Would've been better if she had a CCP, got the gun out and shot him before he was able to ruin her life.  My complaint is these people get out and just do it again causing more pain & heartache for the victim and/or their families and loved ones.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
You need to think about the fear that rape victims endure the rest of their lives.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#9]
No. What would have been better was if he got capped by whoever he attempted to rob before he went to jail.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a  rope.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, now he probably be on the receiving end of a rape.  Let him rot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#12]
personally, i think each rapist should have each pubic hair pulled out one by one, but slowly enough so that by the time the pain is ending from the previous pull, the puller is just getting ready to pull again.

and it wouldn't be considered cruel and unusual punishment because it would fit the crime.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Thats not enough punishment ARLADY
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Rape used to be a capital offense in many parts of the country.  I say bring it back for cases like this.  OPERATOR ERROR has the right idea. Nothing cruel and unusual about it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jim Beam:
Kevin I believe that what you are suggesting is murder.
View Quote

Would you feel any different if YOU were the victim of the rape?  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#16]
There was a report in the top of the hour news earlier today (Washington State, KVI 570AM) that a rape victim successfully defended herself and sent the rapist on to his just rewards using a 9mm pistol.

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the victim has been through enough, without having to go through the rest of her life, knowing she crossed a line when she killed somebody.  It's one thing to talk about it, and another to actually do it.  Mind you, I believe in using lethal force to save yourself or others. But killing someone will probably change you just as much as being raped.
On a higher note, I'd say I'm quite proud of her outsmarting the worthless punk.  And I hope she finds a way to come to terms and go on with her life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Cereal Killer:
I think the victim has been through enough, without having to go through the rest of her life, knowing she crossed a line when she killed somebody.  It's one thing to talk about it, and another to actually do it.  Mind you, I believe in using lethal force to save yourself or others. But killing someone will probably change you just as much as being raped.
View Quote

Yea, except that lead residue washes off, HIV doesn't.  I never want to face the situation where I or a loved one have to kill somebody, but I won't hesitate if I have to and I hope I've imparted that attitude to the ones I care about.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes I would want to cap the as*hole too but what do think would happen if the police checked your phone and found that you called this d*ck before you shot him. I am sure that would be a good indication of premeditation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]
How about if she took that USP shown in Troy's post, crammed it up his ass and blew his prostate glad out the front of his johnson rod. Would that be cruel? I think not.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How about if she took that USP shown in Troy's post, crammed it up his ass and blew his prostate glad out the front of his johnson rod. Would that be cruel? I think not.
View Quote

Not in the least!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jim Beam:
Yes I would want to cap the as*hole too but what do think would happen if the police checked your phone and found that you called this d*ck before you shot him. I am sure that would be a good indication of premeditation.
View Quote

My comments were made in haste BUT were based on the fact that guy is alive and will almost certainly get out of jail later in life.  When he does the victim will be told of this and she will once again worry about this individual.  She will have to go through court precedings and face him.  She will be cross examined and some scumbag lawyer will swear the only reason the 'rapist' returned was because it was 'consentual'.  My comments above are based on the fact this woman's life would be a little easier if she never had to worry about this guy again.  That was my main point.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yea, except that lead residue washes off, HIV doesn't.  I never want to face the situation where I or a loved one have to kill somebody, but I won't hesitate if I have to and I hope I've imparted that attitude to the ones I care about.
View Quote

I guess we can agree that being a victim is often a no win situation.  I would probably cross that line as would you, I just don't advocate is as acceptable behavior, but look at it as a last resort.  When someone says I'd just as soon shoot the guy, they rarely say so considering the consequences.  I'm not harping on anyones convictions, just reminded them the consequences exist.  Watching somebody die will change you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#25]
It would have been better if she was allowed a ccw and was packing a handgun then he would'nt even had touched her and he would have run off and have to get a new pair of underwear.  Or if she was forced to defend herself she could have given him a free castration with a .45 hydra-shock.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#26]
A thumbs up for a heads up play!

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#27]
ARlady's idea would be a good start, then stake him naked to an anthill (preferably fire ants) before he has a chance to heal.  A layer of honey on the crotch oughta gethim started.
[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#28]
The narcisstic genius couldn't have played it better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top