BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/25/2016 9:46:25 AM EDT
We all know this, right?!?

Here is the data using 2015 numbers.

FULL STORY

The top 1 percent of Americans, who have an average income of more than $2.1 million, pay 43.6 percent of all the federal individual income tax in the US; the top 0.1 percent — just 115,000 households, whose average income is more than $9.4 million — pay more than 20 percent of it.
View Quote

the top 1% of wage earners have an AGI of at least $440,000  (follow link to see where you stack up)

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#1]
What percentage of the GDP is produced by the 1%?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Errrr, this is a pretty well known fact.  It's also the result of the early 20th century populism that gave us unapportioned income tax and direct election of senators.  

But, it's just a fact of life, because you aren't going to get 45% of the population to agree to start paying taxes to give the top 1% and top 0.1% a break.

Quite frankly, the only way to make the tax code less progressive would be to somehow strip the franchise from the bottom half of wage earners.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Errrr, this is a pretty well known fact.  It's also the result of the early 20th century populism that gave us unapportioned income tax and direct election of senators.  

But, it's just a fact of life, because you aren't going to get 45% of the population to agree to start paying taxes to give the top 1% and top 0.1% a break.

Quite frankly, the only way to make the tax code less progressive would be to somehow strip the franchise from the bottom half of wage earners.

View Quote

Here's a novel idea, forget tax break for the top 1% of earners, how about get rid of that ridiculous earned income credit and make those who don't pay pay a little somthing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
And every fucking one of them, believe they do pay taxes.  Fuck, most of them get back more than they paid in,
see the Child income tax credit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Top 25% here, ballin' baby.

Also, those numbers are a bit sensationalist. I see A LOT of small business owners that regularly pay $0 federal in federal taxes because they structure it that way. Minimal wages from their corp, minimal pass through, always depreciation/section 179/NOL carryover to offset, etc.

Often times they're paying property taxes, payroll taxes, etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#6]
All I know is I pay more in taxes then I need to live on, and there's something fucking wrong with that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I pay almost no income tax.  A couple kids and heavy 401k contributions and I'm at about 1% income tax after it's all said and done.  That's straight income tax, I pay more in social security and Medicaid/Medicare taxes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#8]
And many don't work at all. During tax season they claim self employment as a barbar or hair stylist and file. Have three kids and get $7k. Cha-Ching.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Just change it to a 10% federal sales tax on EVERYTHING. No exceptions.
The more you spend the more you pay. Rich people spend more than poor people so it takes care of itself.
Also captures the illegal immigrant dollars spent and the foreign tourist dollar.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#10]
This is strictly federal income tax...not state.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
My brother in law works as a paver and his dumbass wife doesn't work. They make about 35k a year. He routinely gets back 8-10k because they have 4 kids. I tell him every year it's bull shit he gets back all that money due to him and his having kids. They are on food stamps and subsidized housing.

He just laughs and turns. Well this year he had like 3500 in Obama care fees for not having insurance...lol.

He told me that and I laughed and turned away....lol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And every fucking one of them, believe they do pay taxes.
View Quote

I don't believe I pay federal income tax. I only pay state.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I must be doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
It's a bit disingenuous. If they're employed at all, they're paying SS and Medicare taxes.

And SS taxes have been "borrowed" for decades, to shore up budget shortfalls. It's a straight up tax, and the SCOTUS has ruled as much.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Wife and I are in the top 10%
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And every fucking one of them, believe they do pay taxes.  Fuck, most of them get back more than they paid in,
View Quote

Yup, when you pay in 2 grand and get 8 grand back at tax time, something is fucked up.

Happens to everyone around here, when you tell everyone you hate tax season because you have a cut a check, they tend to look at you weird.

I do have one more kid this time around though, so maybe it will be a smaller check.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I get the child tax credit on two kids and still have to pay thousands.  Is EIC is what you're thinking about?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The more you spend the more you pay. Rich people spend more than poor people so it takes care of itself.
Also captures the illegal immigrant dollars spent and the foreign tourist dollar.

View Quote

Ding ding, it  also taxes the trillion dollar black market of drugs, prostitution and under the table wages.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Frei Scheisse Armee pays no taxes.  Any talk about "taxing the rich" really means placing a greater burden the (surviving) middle class.  

I remember the tax reform under Raygun that wiped out many of the writeoffs once enjoyed by the middle class.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I think I fell in that 45% this year, IIRC.  If not, I only paid a little.

I would gladly pay more, as that would mean that I would be doing better financially.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would be cool with a 15% Tax, might start convincing people to wait and only buy quality shit.

I landed in the top 25%, household we are in the top 10%
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I get the child tax credit on two kids and still have to pay thousands.  Is EIC is what you're thinking about?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta be. I'm in the same boat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a person makes 25K a year, has 2 kids and has a thousand dollars withheld from his/her check, they will get the
thousand back plus the child credit, which is about $2200.00 per kid.  This all happened under the welfare reform act
under Clinton and the Republican congress.  Fuck, they just moved the welfare money from one place to another.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#24]
which is why I'm a fan of the flat consumption tax.  

it hits everyone with an equal % compared to what they buy, is unavoidable, does not need loopholes, and is less expensive to collect, and spurs government to promote domestic individual wealth in order to raise more tax revenue.

It also provides instant feedback when the people are hurting, because tax receipts also hurt.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#26]
liberal voters
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#28]
That's okay, I've got their back.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's a bit disingenuous. If they're employed at all, they're paying SS and Medicare taxes.

And SS taxes have been "borrowed" for decades, to shore up budget shortfalls. It's a straight up tax, and the SCOTUS has ruled as much.
View Quote

Many of them aren't employed either -- at least not on the books.  And whatever they pay in throughout the year for SS and medicare (those who do) is wiped out by that ten thousand dollar EIC check at the end of the year.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I still gotta do my taxes... Man I hope u guys put enough in so I can get some out!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's okay, I've got their back.  
View Quote

Therein lies the problem with the current system.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
liberal voters
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#34]
The only people that really understand the tax system are those that make quarterly payments.

There is no such thing as a refund.  Just an application to the next tax year.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe if the govt wasn't spending so much money taxes would be lower.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#36]
You should clarify that you are talking about "income" tax here. ALL pay some federal tax. Every time you make a purchase you pay Federal tax. Remember manufacturing companies don't pay fed income tax, they collect it from the consumer and pass it on.

EBR
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Proof that an Arfcomer wrote the article:

<snip>
"On average, those in the bottom 40 percent of the income spectrum end up getting money from the government. Meanwhile, the richest 20 percent of Americans, by far, pay the most in income taxes, forking over nearly 87 percent of all the income tax collected by Uncle Sam."</snip>
View Quote

Well, we all make six figures and have super model wives so...it's appropriate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#38]
This is the percentage that Romney was talking about when he was secretly recorded during a meeting of some sort and got into all of that trouble.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Where do you sign-up for that program ? ? ?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The only people that really understand the tax system are those that make quarterly payments.
There is no such thing as a refund.  Just an application to the next tax year.

View Quote
Yeah, I think my sister dropped over 75,000 last year in tax payments.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

plenty of poorass Republicans get earned income  credit and bizarrely I know plenty of rich Democrats, doctors especially, who always vote against their interest, not only for income tax but supporting Obama whose obamacare is screeeewing them  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

liberal voters
plenty of poorass Republicans get earned income  credit and bizarrely I know plenty of rich Democrats, doctors especially, who always vote against their interest, not only for income tax but supporting Obama whose obamacare is screeeewing them  
This amazed me when I witnessed it first hand with my own Doctor of 20+ years. She voted for it and this year it finally came home to roost. She lost her private practice and "retired" because it had become impossible to turn a profit.

She had a small practice and employed 5 people but was always busy with waiting times for appointments being on average 3 months. Virtually never accepting new patients unless it was a favor to someone else retiring. She was well known and when I started my search for a replacement she was the first name mentioned every time. It was very disheartening to see happen. She is a great Doctor but unfortunately she was also a bleeding heart liberal.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is the percentage that Romney was talking about when he was secretly recorded during a meeting of some sort and got into all of that trouble.
View Quote

Because people as a whole..are fucking stupid...individuals are smart.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#43]
But the top 20% of wage earners need to pay their fair share! And they aren't!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#44]
We just need to get the other 55% in that same group............

Seriously,we have a huge bloated federal government-that's the crux of the problem.There should be NO income tax.

Just a fantasy-not going to change in my lifetime.

Self employed with no kids-I pay.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
They do. They pay sales taxes, gasoline taxes, the taxes on their electric bill, property taxes, social security taxes, medicare taxes, state income taxes, etc. I don't like our tax system, but at the same time I understand that half of our nation is poor (relative to western standards) and higher taxes disproportionately impact them compared to those in the top 10%. If a top 10% income earner pays more taxes he/she may have to cut back from a trip to Hawaii to a trip to Vegas. But if taxes rise on someone in the bottom 50% percentile of income that might mean the difference between eating the last day or two of the month versus not. This is really a pointless debate because the real problem in America isn't who and how much taxes are paid, it's the size and spending of government at all levels.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#46]
So, ever wonder why Dems get elected?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone that gets back more than they paid is FSA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They do. They pay sales taxes, gasoline taxes, the taxes on their electric bill, property taxes, social security taxes, medicare taxes, state income taxes, etc. I don't like our tax system, but at the same time I understand that half of our nation is poor (relative to western standards) and higher taxes disproportionately impact them compared to those in the top 10%. If a top 10% income earner pays more taxes he/she may have to cut back from a trip to Hawaii to a trip to Vegas. But if taxes rise on someone in the bottom 50% percentile of income that might mean the difference between eating the last day or two of the month versus not. This is really a pointless debate because the real problem in America isn't who and how much taxes are paid, it's the size and spending of government at all levels.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your liberal talking points and look up actual facts...

The poor in the country will continue to remain poor because there is no incentive to better yourself when you get a free ride.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that.....you get that......but most folks do not get that. Sales tax sucks.......but it is not comparable to seeing $XXX taken from you paycheck from money you have earned.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody is looking for an angle.  Everybody is on the take. That is the new America.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top