Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have played Camargo a few hundred times.

http://top100golf.blogspot.com/2010/03/camargo-club.html?m=1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The Old Course St Andrews.

Stayed at the Rusacks hotel in the Lee Trevino room.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Augusta is not the world's most exclusive and prestigious club. Pine Valley in NJ holds that honor.

Many people have managed to get a ticket to play Augusta. Pine Valley is in a whole 'nother world of difficulty to get on the course.
View Quote

Uh, no.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Uh, no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Augusta is not the world's most exclusive and prestigious club. Pine Valley in NJ holds that honor.

Many people have managed to get a ticket to play Augusta. Pine Valley is in a whole 'nother world of difficulty to get on the course.

Uh, no.

It was ranked number one by golf magazine in 2012 and 2015 so I'd say it's solidly top 10 on a reg basis
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to live at Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra... Played it a bunch in college.

The LPGA course in St. Augustine.

Shoulder inflammation keeps me from playing anymore.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#6]
As a GA native, I hope that one day I'll get to play Augusta National.

The nicest/most famous course I've played is East Lake where they play the Tour Champ.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know how "famous" I would rank it, but I've played Oak Tree in Edmond. tough course.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I have played Augusta.  I had a client that furnished services to the Augusta National. They have a Vendors Day at the end of the season and my client had a pass for a foursome.  This was 6-7 years ago.  My client called me and told me that he had
Two passes for me.  My father is a avid fan of golf, so I invited him to join us. We had complete access to the Club.  Nothing was off limits.  We got to Augusta and parked about 8:00am. We did go by the golf shop and picked up a few things.  We then headed to the driving range to warm up. After that we played the par three course. When finished we went through the Clubhouse and locker room. Actually saw Tiger's, Ben's and other golfers lockers.  The club had set up a luncheon for all the participant outside the clubhouse, under that big live oak tree you always see when they broadcast the tournament. We teed off at about 1:00, which was fine. The course itself is amazing. Standing on the first tee with your driver in hand and thinking of all the legendary golfers that had stood right there, was almost religious. The only shots you hit on level ground are the tee shots.  Every other shot or putt you make is from a sloping lie.  You cannot really perceive the depth on tv but there is a slight to severe slope everywhere.  The round played pretty slow.  That is to be expected, the other golfers were actual every day people and not professional golfers but wtf difference it make, we were at Augusta.  Every time we stopped the cart ( and we did use carts) the view was as if it was from a picture postcard.  At Amen Corner, they actually had caddies to coach us as to distance and to where the flags was located.  We did have a thunderstorm move in at some point and were called off the course.  They put us in the press room of the Club for a brief rain delay.  I had a photo of my dad at the same podium that all winners address the press from, looking like he just won the Masters.  The weekend before a couple billionaires played the course, one made his money with operating systems and the other in the stock market.  All in all, it was one of the best days of my life.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Wolf Creek in Mesquite NV.

Carts only.  Slope is nearly highest in US.

Right be a sky diving facility so pretty cool to hear a chute while hitting.

Cheap to play actually but somewhat famous.   No PGA event because you would be wasted walking the course.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Never have played a famous course in my life, but I enjoyed hearing about your Augusta experiences.

I first became a hacker back in the 70's when it only cost 150 bucks to play Pebble but never went up there to play.

It does take a special kind of golfer to play courses that should have a white chalk mark around the entire property.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#11]
pebble beach 1994.
i suck at golf,and i dont golf anymore
it was a fun time
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#12]
St. Andrews in Scotland. Went there for his graduation. He took advantage of living there and played the course all the time. (I don't remember if it was the new or old)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have played Augusta.  I had a client that furnished services to the Augusta National. They have a Vendors Day at the end of the season and my client had a pass for a foursome.  This was 6-7 years ago.  My client called me and told me that he hadTwo passes for me.  My father is a avid fan of golf, so I invited him to join us. We had complete access to the Club.  Nothing was off limits.  We got to Augusta and parked about 8:00am. We did go by the golf shop and picked up a few things.  We then headed to the driving range to warm up. After that we played the par three course. When finished we went through the Clubhouse and locker room. Actually saw Tiger's, Ben's and other golfers lockers.  The club had set up a luncheon for all the participant outside the clubhouse, under that big live oak tree you always see when they broadcast the tournament. We teed off at about 1:00, which was fine. The course itself is amazing. Standing on the first tee with your driver in hand and thinking of all the legendary golfers that had stood right there, was almost religious. The only shots you hit on level ground are the tee shots.  Every other shot or putt you make is from a sloping lie.  You cannot really perceive the depth on tv but there is a slight to severe slope everywhere.  The round played pretty slow.  That is to be expected, the other golfers were actual every day people and not professional golfers but wtf difference it make, we were at Augusta.  Every time we stopped the cart ( and we did use carts) the view was as if it was from a picture postcard.  At Amen Corner, they actually had caddies to coach us as to distance and to where the flags was located.  We did have a thunderstorm move in at some point and were called off the course.  They put us in the press room of the Club for a brief rain delay.  I had a photo of my dad at the same podium that all winners address the press from, looking like he just won the Masters.  The weekend before a couple billionaires played the course, one made his money with operating systems and the other in the stock market.  All in all, it was one of the best days of my life.

View Quote

Paragraphs, dude.  How do they work?

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Cheap to play actually but somewhat famous.   No PGA event because you would be wasted walking the course.
View Quote

Wolf Creek was really cool!  I definitely want to play that again.

The cart path experience was almost as much fun as the golf.

Paiute is another really fun Pete Dye course in that area.  Some diabolical holes.  

• Holes: 18

• Par: 72

• Length: 7604 yards

• Slope: 145

• Rating: 75.5

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#16]

No,but I've seen a little on tee vee....
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Bethpage Black in NY, all 3 of the courses at Sea Island in GA. My dad has played at a bunch more notable courses.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Pebble and Spyglass for me.

Dear Lord Spyglass is difficult.  Ice plant sucks.

We got a late start on Pebble and played 17 and 18 in the dark.  Somehow I went par, bogey.  Only lost one ball all day (7).
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Augusta
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#20]
No one has played Sandhills?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Harbor Town, Oakmont, Oakland Hills, Royal County Down,  Harbor Town was a cake walk in comparision
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Oak Hill a bunch of times (the east course is a bitch)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
TPC Sawgrass is essentially my home course.  I still live about 2 miles from it max.  I remains immensely challenging, and unfortunately, quite expensive.

I used to play it in high school after 3:00.  $20 to walk the Valley course, $30 to walk the Stadium course.

In hindsight, despite all the rounds I played there back then, I didn't play it enough.  Now it's $400 or something to play it.  I try to go once or twice a year.

The 17th is the most frustrating hole I've ever played, and I'm glad I'm in good company with many pros.  You can hit spectacular shots that end up wet and shitty shots that end up 5 feet from the cup.  It plays different every round for me.  Some days, when the wind whips up, it can be a two club difference in selection one way or another.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I've played Golf Digest magazines #1 resort course in the USA a few times. Absolutely outstanding.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll tell you two I hate.. Forest Creek in Round Rock and Crystal Falls in Cedar Park.

Too many blind shots at both. Crystal Falls has the most ridiculous par 3 I've ever seen. Tee off 100 feet above the green 150 yards away.  Fuck that shit.
View Quote

I love #2 at Crystal Falls; how dare you sir. A full value pitching wedge off that thing and you'll be sitting nicely on the green.

Forrest Creek is meh. I hate their par 5 (I think it's hole 6). It's not a bad course though.

*I've played no famous golf courses, but have driven next to Pebble Beach.

Edit: I did do the 17th at TPC Sawgrass challenge at the World Golf Hall of Fame. They had some loaner Ping G30 irons; I couldn't get it to stick on the green in 3 tries.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I have golfed most of the private country club courses in Scottsdale AZ ( Mirabel DC Ranch Troon Boulders Daquera (sp?)  etc ... )

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#28]

My caddy at the Straights Course said the Irish was his favorite one of the four courses there.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've played both of those.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wolf Creek was really cool!  I definitely want to play that again.

The cart path experience was almost as much fun as the golf.

Paiute is another really fun Pete Dye course in that area.  Some diabolical holes.  

• Holes: 18

• Par: 72

• Length: 7604 yards

• Slope: 145

• Rating: 75.5

I've played both of those.

I don't remember which hole it was at Paiute, but it's an elevated tee down to a wide fairway with a 220 yard carry over water - from the white tees.  Probably plays 200 or 190 to the fairway.

I'm not a really long hitter (at the time I was averaging about 240 off the tee,) but I did barely make it against a fairly stiff breeze.  Both my friends had no chance.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Never played it but I drove my truck all over the course at Torrey Pines and nobody got mad at me.

Can't be too many people who have done that.

(Did the satellite feeds for the grandstand monitors for a couple of years)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I have been fortunate enough to to play a few.......I'm probably forgetting a few but these stand out
Pebble beach
Spyglass
eta: The links at Spanish bay
Pinehurst #2
Pinehurst # 8
Whistling straits
Black Wolf Run
Chambers bay
Troon n. Scottsdale
Rio Secco
TPC Scottsdale
TPC Sawgrass

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I have played Farm Neck on Martha's Vineyard probably 20 times. I guess it's famous as Clinton and Obama play it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Uh, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, no.

Uh yes. I know several golfers who have played Augusta. All have failed to get a ticket to Pine Valley despite trying for years.

The golf course itself typically is rated #1 or 2 in any given year.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
TPC Sawgrass is essentially my home course.  I still live about 2 miles from it max.  I remains immensely challenging, and unfortunately, quite expensive.

I used to play it in high school after 3:00.  $20 to walk the Valley course, $30 to walk the Stadium course.

In hindsight, despite all the rounds I played there back then, I didn't play it enough.  Now it's $400 or something to play it.  I try to go once or twice a year.

The 17th is the most frustrating hole I've ever played, and I'm glad I'm in good company with many pros.  You can hit spectacular shots that end up wet and shitty shots that end up 5 feet from the cup.  It plays different every round for me.  Some days, when the wind whips up, it can be a two club difference in selection one way or another.
View Quote

Hi neighbor.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Shit...ya'll don't know what a hard course is

Sycamore Ridge was my old stomping grounds (they closed down several years ago).  It was a cheap course...$10 for 9 holes with a cart...and it had the maintenance/upkeep to show for it.  But it was fun.  It was a narrow, rocky, hilly, wet course that was basically 'forced' into the mountainous landscape here.  All the greens were blind....couldn't see them without scouting ahead.  Groundhawg holes, bare spots in the fairway/green, mud, tree branches...

They just built this in my backyard:

Ballyhack Golf Club

Very expensive....many famous people have memberships.  
I'll never be able to afford to play it
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I played them all on the Sega Genesis.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Baultisrol, Springfield NJ - (Multiple U.S. Opens)

I grew up a block away from there. There was a convenient hole in the fence so we played the back 9 of of the back course. We also had a decent business fishing balls out of one of the ponds and selling them to golfers but eventually we got thrown out. There was also some amazing sleigh riding in the winter. They used to open the gates for sledding but thanks to lawyers that's just a memory.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Of the current top 100:

Calusa Pines, FL
Kinloch GC, VA
Congressional, MD
Somerset Hills, NJ
Plainfield CC, NJ
Ridgewood CC, NJ
Trump National Bedminster, NJ (not sure if they're top 100)
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Oakmont, Old Head and The Floridian.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#41]
The Stadium Course at Sawgrass.

The guy that took us had to play the pro tees - I still pared three holes in a row.

Dunked the ball at 17 - LOL

Red

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Played Pinehurst #2 in the early 2000's.  Difficult course to say the least. It was like putting on a marble slab.   My partner and I beat the shit out of our opponents...... not so much as we were good as they sucked!  They also pressed every time that they got down and we would win the next hole..  Drank free top shelf for the night!!!! Those were the days.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I used to play The Golf Club, in New Albany weekly.  Rule was we always had to let the member(s) play through.

Considering it only has billionaires and actors as members, you never knew who you might see.  It was cool though because they usually just assumed you were on their level...  Like the two dudes in Airwalks asking us about Gulfstream jets on the T box one day.

Said I was still using net jets

Best actor member: Sean Connery.  

My roommate was one of the supervisors.
View Quote

I caddied there once when I was in high school.
It was almost 100 degrees that day, brutal.
I wish I would have done it more but I got a steadier job shortly thereafter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:52:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I truly envy you guys playing those courses.

The closest I'll ever get to most any of them is via video game.

If I could pick three in the U.S.

Augusta National

Doral

Congressional

I might have a chance at not complete humiliation at the latter two. Might.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#45]
My modest list:

RTJ Trail at Capitol Hill. Played all three courses there. Senator Course hosts an LPGA tournament.

Victoria National. One of the most beautiful layouts I have ever seen. Hosts a Web.com tournament.

The Hermitage Course in Nashville. Hosted an LPGA tournament in the past.

I have never played Valhalla, but have been there for a Ryder Cup and a PGA Championship.

Was at Whistling Straits for Sunday's round of the PGA last year.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top