Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2016 10:29:40 PM EDT
I'm a college student, and I'm looking at getting out of the dorms for next year.  What should I be looking for when I go to a showing?  Also, what are important things to be aware of in general (for the lease, etc)?  I know basics like make sure you know what utilities you pay, occupancy cap, etc.  Any tips/information is much appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at what kind of people live there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you note any damage on during the inspection.  Also expect that you will little to none of your damage deposit back. At the very least most places take carpet cleaning out of that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Insurance!  Its cheap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Get pictures, note any and all damage, look for gaps between windows, doors, squeaky things, water leaks, fridge stinks, anything and everything.  Before you sign any lease, verify it's been fixed.  

Read your lease, read everything a couple times.  

Before you move out, clean, and take pictures of any and all damage, if you get the carpets cleaned, get the receipt.  If you do them yourself, get a receipt.  

Honestly if you keep the place clean, and don't trash it, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Do a walk-through video of the place before you move everything into it and note any pre-existing damage, condition of the carpet, etc.  Do the same when you move out.

Read the lease thoroughly.

"No Pets" means just that.

"No Subletting" means just that.

"No Overnight Guests" means just that.

Before doing the walk-through get the address and look at crime stats for the neighborhood.

Research the management company or apartment complex online to see if there are complaints.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to get roaches in my beer

drink fast
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have said, insurance is cheap. Get it ASAP.
Depending on where you live, parking might be a big deal. Don't assume anything.
Avoid any used furniture with fabric/upholstery. I'd avoid used furniture period if I were you, but I realize you're a college student.
The closer you are to campus, the more douchenozzles you'll have for neighbors. You're better off with a longer commute than living next to shitbag druggies having loud parties while you're trying to study.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at what kind of people live there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Ask of you can be close to the gays in the area. Lots of tail slips by.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Double check for parking fees. one place my girl fell in love with charged 200/month for open parking plus 50 for each additional car! We went at 2 pm on a weekday and couldn't find a spot near the model apt. let alone when everyone gets home. needless to say we saved the 250 a month and found a new place to live.

also renters insurance! very cheap. 150ish a year, after you bundle it in with your car insurance its practically free.

ask maintenance crew about car break ins and other crime. the lady showing you the place won't tell you the truth but maintenance don't have a reason to lie. Most of the time they live there as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to get roaches in my beer

drink fast
View Quote

Ouch!

Most stuff is already covered.  I would look at the layout of the property; windows?  southerly exposure?  Maybe some passive solar there.
Parking?
Bordering property, maybe some woods or stuff.  Trees are good for the soul.  Water is always good (said by a Pisces).

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Renters insurance is cheap. GET IT.

Like others have said. Point out ANY damage, dirty fridge/floor, burnt out light bulbs etc. Because when your lease is up they will do the same to you!

Edit: Post 69!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
College housing out here is fucking crazy... I lived in a shitty college apt out here (greenville NC) for one semester. It was super shitty. Loud as hell and way too much crime. (the complex was owned my american campus communities) they claimed the only rent to college students but half were section 8 apartments. I ended up moving in with a med student who's owns a townhouse 5 miles away from campus. Rent is cheaper at $425.00 and we keep the place clean and quiet. No crime to speak of. All of my neighbors are med students or retired.

I would seriously take a look at craigslist and see if you can find something that isn't student apartments.

ETA. Out here no one has ever gotten a deposit back. The complexes completely ignore the fact that you took photos or videos of damage when you moved in. They just take the attitude that no college student is going to take them to court over an $800 deposit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#14]
What does renter's insurance cover?  I'm in Minneapolis, and I am definitely going to be wary of living near my peers at UMN.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a ton of photos before you move in to document any damage.  Get renters insurance.   Always have T.P in the house and whiskey.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I also forgot to mention to look at the lease in regards to maintenance.  Often times it is spelled out that they can leave a 24h notice on your door than just let themselves in at the time specified and do maintenance on your furnace.  Don't leave your fleshlight and homer bucket out during this time period.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
College housing out here is fucking crazy... I lived in a shitty college apt out here (greenville NC) for one semester. It was super shitty. Loud as hell and way too much crime. (the complex was owned my american campus communities) they claimed the only rent to college students but half were section 8 apartments. I ended up moving in with a med student who's owns a townhouse 5 miles away from campus. Rent is cheaper at $425.00 and we keep the place clean and quiet. No crime to speak of. All of my neighbors are med students or retired.

I would seriously take a look at craigslist and see if you can find something that isn't student apartments.

ETA. Out here no one has ever gotten a deposit back. The complexes completely ignore the fact that you took photos or videos of damage when you moved in. They just take the attitude that no college student is going to take them to court over an $800 deposit.
View Quote

Yep, I've rented dozens of rooms/apts through Craigslist and never even had to sign a lease. Someone only kept my $200 deposit once.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Apartments suck.  If you want one that isn't a ghetto piece of shit, you're going to be paying as much as a mortgage on a small house.  At least that's how it is in my area.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Take a ton of photos before you move in to document any damage.  Get renters insurance.   Always have T.P in the house and whiskey.
View Quote

Renter insurance covers your stuff in case anything happens. I have a $5,000 policy covering everything I have here . I also have a 1 mil liability coverage. So if someone breaks into the apartment and steals my guns, TV and computers I am covered. And I am also covered if I get drunk and leave a candle burning, spill my whiskey on said candle and light the place on fire.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wilson acres?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep, I've rented dozens of rooms/apts through Craigslist and never even had to sign a lease. Someone only kept my $200 deposit once.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I signed a lease on this place My roommate/landlords dad is a lawyer so hes protected. But it is not nearly as hardcore as a regular lease. Just 60 days notice that I move out and keep the peace basically. Since he is in med school I really don't see him much during the week. weekends we usually hang out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wilson acres?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wilson acres?

Nope I lived at Pirates place.. Apparently they have cleaned up alot since I lived there. The first night I moved in there, there way a drug deal that went wrong that ended with someone getting shot and running the left side gate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#23]
The vehicles parked there will tell you a lot about the people living there.

Always live on the top floor.

Avoid the noisy pool areas.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Apartments suck try to find a house.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I lived in some apartments for about 4 years.  I noticed there was a lot of turnover in occupancy, just in the unit opposite my door.  When the ever-rising rent got so high I looked for shared housing in the same neighborhood, I got that nailed down before I told the landlord company I was moving out.

I was surprised that they said "What can we do to keep you here?"  I wasn't prepared for that.  And it was too late, I made arrangements to move.  But if you stay in apartments and prove yourself a stable, hassle-free tenant, it gives you some leverage in rent which is negotiable.   They did this is a really tight rental market.

I would have said if they could move my rent down to my first year's rent in exchange for another year's lease.

Anyway, my point is, if you're a reliable trouble free tenant who doesn't damage the property; you have negotiating power when it comes to rent.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:34:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd stay in the dorms. You're only young once.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#27]
1. Renter's Insurance.

2. Look at the general condition cars in the lot.

3. Take pictures of any damage you see on move.  You have a cell phone, right.

4.  The units that are available.  Check out where they are located - closest to a busy road, the dumpsters, does it get morning light or evening light?

5.  Check out the crime stats on Trulia.

6. Check out what internet/pay tv is available.

7. Air conditioning, washer/dryer hook ups, washer/dryer facility on site, garbage disposal, dishwasher.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:06:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm a current college student. I'm getting ready to move out of my first apartment in May and will be moving into a new one in June. Here are some things I have learned:

1. Make sure you like your roommate(s), you don't have to be best friends, I actually suggest you aren't (i've seen a lot of friendships fail) but make sure you get along
2. Set "rules/expectations" out with your roommate, like is food shared or every man for himself / who does dishes / guest expectations / who takes the trash out etc.
3. Check your lease, make sure you know what bills you are supposed to be paying, the city started charging my roommate and I for WSG a couple months in, when we weren't supposed to pay it, the reason I am moving out is cause if we resigned we would be responsible (and that is around $120/month)
4. Renting through a private party is way easier and more laid back that a rental company (which is why I am switching to private)
5. Say goodbye to your security deposit
6. Even if you a ways away from campus you still might have crazy college student neighbors
7. Make sure parking is available, my complex has a lot...but my truck is to big to fit in it so I am stuck parallel parking on the street (which isn't that bad, but it still sucks)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:10:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Look at neighbors, parking lot…stuff they don’t show you but will be very important.  Bad neighbors or neighborhoods will get old real quick.  Otherwise, don’t let them slick you in the terms of the lease.  Read it! All of it, because you will be held to the terms no matter what is said during the showing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:26:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Most importantly, get a majestic view of the ocean. Chicks go nuts over stuff like that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:00:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Make sure you note any damage on during the inspection.  Also expect that you will little to none of your damage deposit back. At the very least most places take carpet cleaning out of that.
View Quote

Less carpet cleaning  (for places that required it) I always got my entire deposit back.

Sorry you can't manage not to fuck a place up?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#32]
If it's an apartment complex, don't get a ground floor apartment if you can avoid it.

Less likely to be burglarized.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Find out how it is heated, and who pays for it. If its you, and it is electric heat, you would be amazed how much that can cost a month.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Go hang around the parking lot after midnight and see what's going on.  

If you see bunches of drunk chicks stumbling home after the bars close you will know you have found your new homeland.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#35]
top floor or you will hate life
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Google the name of the complex. Read news stories about crimes that have occurred there, read reviews from prior tenants.

Especially in a college town some apts are traps. Some are known to ALWAYS take 100% of your deposit regardless of condition, have bad car burglary problems , heaters that run on emergency elements that crank your electric bill ect.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Try to get on the top floor if you value quietness.  Otherwise you might get some loud people above you who bang on the floor and walls all night long.  

Apts facing the parking lot can also be noisy first thing in the morning with car doors, sqeaky belts, loud exhausts/deisel engines and honks.   On the flip side you get to bird dog all the hot chicks from your patio.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm a college student, and I'm looking at getting out of the dorms for next year.  What should I be looking for when I go to a showing?  Also, what are important things to be aware of in general (for the lease, etc)?  I know basics like make sure you know what utilities you pay, occupancy cap, etc.  Any tips/information is much appreciated!
View Quote

Make sure your school doesn't have any idiotic housing rules. Mine had a rule where freshmen and sophomores were allowed to live off campus, but if they did so, they still had to pay for dorm housing, essentially requiring them to pay for living quarters twice.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#41]
You must get top floor.  Apartment or hotel rooms.  Same thing
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Go during the day and night on various days of the week. Oh and make sure it is close enough to the bars to make sure you don't have to take a cab ride after getting friendzoned
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The vehicles parked there will tell you a lot about the people living there.

Always live on the top floor.

Avoid the noisy pool areas.
View Quote
This!

Also walk around the hallways around 4:20PM and see how much weed you smell.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Protip: he's right!

Apartments attract lower class breeders like crazy. Nothing like five kids running around on your ceiling to make your weekend mornings miserable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protip: he's right!

Apartments attract lower class breeders like crazy. Nothing like five kids running around on your ceiling to make your weekend mornings miserable.

Or the people that stomp around like elephants.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#45]
 See if the LandLady will knock some off the rent, in exchange for " services"

. ( Doesn't hurt to ask )
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

take your cameraphone and video everthing before you move anything. the management will try to cover shit up then bill you for it.
drive thru the parking lot during various time of the day, see who lives there.
The leasing agents will lie to you, its their job.
talk to locals you see in the parking lot, she what they have to say about the place.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Depending on the state, it might not be legal to take carpet cleaning out of deposit.

My tips:

- take lots of photos with cell phone for check in, burn to CD (2 copies) and send one to the landlord (if you want)

- look at other places nearby, abandoned or junky cars? Stuff on porch means people trust the area, garbage all over means bad people all over

- get on the budget "balance" plan for the utilities so peak usage months don't kill finances

- actually read the lease

- note water pressure, if hot water is shared or not, and all aspects of the kitchen

- where is laundry? how much if it's pay to play?

- parking? free for all or assigned?

- dumpster or garbage cans you haul out?  Look at the dumpster, is it crammed full? (That's a sign of a cheapass landlord)

- place to lock a bike safely?

- cable, wifi, DSL, satellite? what do you want and what is there.

If you have time, go to the same place a few times during a weekend or weekday. People hanging out at all hours is a bad sign. There shouldn't be ANYBODY that isnt doing something purposeful.

Can you walk to a gas station, bar, store to get stuff or anything like that?  How about traffic in/out... don't want to be stuck making a rush hour left turn every morning.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

Take photos of any damage/marks/etc.  I rented a cleaner for the carpets but was charged as the lease stipulated you had to use one the apartment complex contracted with.  

I look at the type of vehicles in the parking lot and how full it is during typical working hours.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm a sophomore at U of M Twin Cities, living in my first apartment. You basically want to look for location, it sucks walking to class too far in the MN winter after you're used to the dorm's close location. Try to get several roommates, it will be a lot cheaper, especially with splitting up the power bill. Try to get one with included amenities. For example, my apartment comes with cable, including HBO and AMC TV. It includes water, wifi, and everything but electricity. My apartment has underground heated parking, but that is just a personal preference. Get one fully furnished if you can, you probably won't be there forever. Mine came with beds, mattresses, a couch, and a full kitchen. All of these are good things. One thing you might not consider is a dishwasher. This is another good thing. Look for a laundry room, and make sure that it is either included or cheap. Those are the biggest issues. Anything else is really not a big deal. Happy hunting!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Make sure your neighbors are not townies aka regular people or they most likely will be calling the police every time
you host a kegger.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top