Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/12/2016 8:58:18 PM EDT
No, I'm not talking about chasing some silly mechanical rabbit.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesus christ those dog can fly. Do many people use greyhounds for hunting?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not super common, but it still happens across the country.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I went on a greyhound Coyote hunt in college.
it was quite possibly one of the most brutal things I have ever witnessed.

those dogs get it on.

watching that video brings back memories.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't that what they were originally bred for?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure about this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea. I've never really heard of people hunting with them, so I was curious. I only started hunting a few years ago, so I'm a hunting noob.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not sure about this.
View Quote

??
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Somebody needs to attach a gopro to one o' them sumbitches.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
HO-LEE $@%(*&%(%()))!  That looks almost as much fun as helicopter hog hunting!  Apex predator shit right there!

LOL the dag noise got my dag all worked up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have no idea. I've never really heard of people hunting with them, so I was curious. I only started hunting a few years ago, so I'm a hunting noob.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they were bred to run things down and tear them to shreds and break their spines. All the sighthounds were bred to do that, pardoning the really tiny ones which were bred down to be ladies' companions.

Scottish Deerhounds were bred to run down deer. Borzoi and Irish Wolfhounds were set on wolves. Whippets coursed rabbits, as did Ibizan hounds. Salukis coursed jackals and gazelle. Greyhounds chased deer, foxes, and rabbits.

It was a different form of bloodsport than the pit fighting most people think of when they think of vicious canine bloodsports, but it was no less a bloodsport.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of guys run dogs for Coyotes.  Not sure what breed, but a pack of dogs vs. a lone yote is a losing game for the yote.   Most guys have 3-4 squads of dogs and will keep rotating them out and eventually they wear out the yote until it gives up running.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome!  Those hounds are Badass!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not sure about this.
View Quote

It's definitely a little more brutal than most modern Americans are accustomed to, but it's an ancient hunting method that is as effective today as ever.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, they were bred to run things down and tear them to shreds and break their spines. All the sighthounds were bred to do that, pardoning the really tiny ones which were bred down to be ladies' companions.

Scottish Deerhounds were bred to run down deer. Borzoi and Irish Wolfhounds were set on wolves. Whippets coursed rabbits, as did Ibizan hounds. Salukis coursed jackals and gazelle. Greyhounds chased deer, foxes, and rabbits.

It was a different form of bloodsport than the pit fighting most people think of when they think of vicious canine bloodsports, but it was no less a bloodsport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learn so much from GD
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can barely get mine off the sofa.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure about this.
View Quote

its what they were bred to do..

have you ever hunted rabbits with a pack of beagles?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Those yotes didn't stand a chance on open ground. Amazing, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's definitely a little more brutal than most modern Americans are accustomed to, but it's an ancient hunting method that is as effective today as ever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure about this.

but clearly not as sanitary as making a coyote a bloody mist with a 300 win mag ( excellent coyote rifle, BTW)
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The traditional English fox hunt was no different than this video.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not sure about this.
View Quote

You live in a liberal state where coyotes are non existent .

After your pets get killed by coyotes and you find their mangled remains behind your house, then lets see how you feel about yotes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. You have a hound.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure about this.

Absolutely!  10,000 years ago it would have been some big wolves and cavemen running down and cornering mammoths.  We've just refined things a bit here.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.hamsheregallery.co.uk/upload/upload_images/4103.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hamsheregallery.co.uk/upload/upload_images/4103.jpg

And they even carried terriers with them to flush the foxes back out into the open when they made it to the safety of their den. There was never any illusion of the fox surviving; it was going to get ripped to shreds. Just a matter of when and where and how good a chase it led them on first.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow! I had never seen a greyhound used for hunting before. I've seen them race and knew they were fast, but that's amazing speed on rough terrain. The truck couldn't even keep up!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Lots of guys run dogs for Coyotes.  Not sure what breed, but a pack of dogs vs. a lone yote is a losing game for the yote.   Most guys have 3-4 squads of dogs and will keep rotating them out and eventually they wear out the yote until it gives up running.
View Quote

Typically here, they're "Lurchers", which is a greyhound crossbred with one of the working or hunting dog breeds: http://www.minnesotagreyhoundrescue.org/about-greyhounds/what-is-a-lurcher.html

My ex-racer male GH wouldn't have the stamina to keep up with those guys for very long. When I have taken him along for one of my runs, he'll start turning in front of me after the 1/4 mile mark, because he knows his run is only supposed to be 660 yards long, and there are couches in risk of floating away, if he doesn't hold them down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not uncommon here, here being South-Central Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Grew up doing this with my  Grandpa and his brothers.  Lots of folks back home still run coyotes with dogs.  Brings back a lot of fond memories with Grandpa.  I miss it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a retired race Greyhound for 11 years. Awesome dog. Fast as hell. Had a lady at a dog park try to tell me her Golden retriever was faster than a greyhound. Had to explain to her why she had never heard of a "Golden retriever" track.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I had no idea greyhounds were so redneck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow. That is pretty cool. Normally I'm all about "ethical" hunting, but it appears that the dogs took down those coyotes quickly and relatively cleanly. This method seems really effective as coyotes can be very elusive and hard to hunt otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#32]
They are amazingly fast. Cool video, never heard of this style varmint extermination.

Did I make it before the GD PETA club?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Dogs are freakin' amazing animals
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#34]
It's awesome to see the dogs put to the use they were bred for. Dogs use to be tools bred for specific purposes. That's a very effective hunting technique for that terrain.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not sure about this.
View Quote

As long as there is a dead coyote when it's all done, I'm Super Good with this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Most greyhound "rescue" dolts don't want any part of this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I think those are Lurchers and not Greyhounds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurcher

could be wrong though
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was in the agreement when we got ours.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Almost as eye-opening as seeing someone with a standard Poodle, in full froo-froo Poodle hairstyle, turn the dog loose to run down a deer.  I had never thought of a Poodle being that active of a hunting dog, but you'd have thought the dog was a regular deerhound.  And when he was playing you'd think he was a black Lab.

Learned a lot about Poodles that day, just like this video teaches a lot about Greyhounds.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I've seen plenty of folks hunt pigs with dogs but this is a new one on me.  They are impressive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Almost as eye-opening as seeing someone with a standard Poodle, in full froo-froo Poodle hairstyle, turn the dog loose to run down a deer.  I had never thought of a Poodle being that active of a hunting dog, but you'd have thought the dog was a regular deerhound.  And when he was playing you'd think he was a black Lab.

Learned a lot about Poodles that day, just like this video teaches a lot about Greyhounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Years ago someone entered the Iditarod with a team of standard Poodles, he didn't win, did pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I have two ex racers. Love them guys.
I'll post back later.
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That hairstyles was designed to keep standard poodles warm. They were used as bird dogs.

Standard poodles are also pretty amazing apprehension/guard dogs.

I worked with one like 20 years ago an older couple had and that mother fucker even with painted fingernails and the the full blowout was sharp as a tack and mean as hell on a sleeve.

Here is a youtube video of one doing aggression work

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#45]
The kills are probably fairly quick,

I've had both whippets and greyhounds, when they close with whatever they are chasing they reach out and grab the lower third of the target neck, dip their head under and roll the preys neck up and over their head

Basically they use momentum and mechanical advantage to break the ever loving hell out of whatever animals neck they can get a hold of

If you watch them play with decent sized dog toys they do the same thing. Grab neck, flip head and roll.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was down by Duncan when I went hunting with them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That you wouldn't race / hunt the dog, correct?

There is a prominent anti-racing faction within the groups I'm affiliated with, but without the demand the racing community creates, the supply of retired dogs also wouldn't be there.

One of the local groups here has been getting greyhounds from South Korea and Ireland, in addition to dogs from racing kennels in the states.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not sure about this.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow. The hounds fucked the coyotes up.

Ive seen the videos of the big Black Mouth Curs taking on coyotes but they're built like tanks compared to the greyhounds.

Would drive me nuts. I got worried when a coyote got too close to my and my father's Boxers and that's 170ish lbs of Boxermeat (One of the few times they weren'ttrying  to kill each other) on a much smaller coyote
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#50]

dogpedo's away!!! fire all tubes!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top