View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cattle dog

Fits all your needs.

Do lots of research n whatever breed you choose. Any rescue centres bear you?

One about 30 miles away, have never gone there. Probably check it out based on what you guys recommend. Is getting a puppy better than a rescue dog? Do you have to break adult ones of bad habits or are they just cool with everyting?

If you have the ability, get an off the track greyhound or whippet.

They are quiet, barely shed, generally couch potatoes, usually gentle and sweet natured. They will likely already be house trained, don't tend to be extreme chewers, and get along well with most anyone.

http://www.pet360.com/Content/Images/Cms/Greyhound.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/awesomepaws/buckandlily.jpeg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/aa/11/a7/aa11a7286453f54acfb6abcf4bcda1f4.jpg

http://elelur.com/data_images/dog-breeds/whippet/whippet-02.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7JCW6CMGPW2skhHfzqxMoEkIR62Yzk_WDRRJ_V6Q7EiWol0r2

http://orig05.deviantart.net/3164/f/2013/146/d/8/ellie_s_couch_by_w_h_i_p_p_e_t-d66oyz0.png

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/maliraptor/whippetpile.jpg

There is one rule about getting a whippet: You must name it "Devo"

... okay, it's just my rule...

Interesting, after Yorkshire devo?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Dobie
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm leaning towards lab, although my neighbor's eats rocks and has to go to vet because of it. What about Jack Russel Terriers? My daughter thinks they are really cute. They look shifty to me.
View Quote

I know some people are way busy and live in the city, but dogs eat rocks and poo and stuff cause they never get exercise or even out of the yard.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]

INSERT QUOTE TEHere's what you do.

View Quote
Contact joker1, Arfcom's own in-house dog rescue who specializes in finding dogs that fit the needs of specific arfcommers.  He goes to local rescues, finds a match then brings it to his home to make sure it really is a great dog and gives it any remedial training it needs, and then arfcommers get together to run a 'doggie relay race'

And Joker1 will do this basically for free, although he will gladly accept any donations.XT

Akodo just gave the best advice of this thread.  You should listen to him!

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Has everyone told you to get whatever kind of dog they have?

Looks like it so far.

I guess I'll play too.

Boxers are cool.    I didn't want a dog... the wife did.  So we compromised and got a dog.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/IMG_3638_zps7rfwpbjf.jpg

Just go to the pound, and play with them.  Take whichever one seems happiest to see you.
View Quote

GF had a boxer named Jackie Chan.  Great dog although we called her The Muppet for the blank stare.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cattle dog
Fits all your needs.
Do lots of research n whatever breed you choose. Any rescue centres bear you?

One about 30 miles away, have never gone there. Probably check it out based on what you guys recommend. Is getting a puppy better than a rescue dog? Do you have to break adult ones of bad habits or are they just cool with everyting?

If you have the ability, get an off the track greyhound or whippet.
They are quiet, barely shed, generally couch potatoes, usually gentle and sweet natured. They will likely already be house trained, don't tend to be extreme chewers, and get along well with most anyone.
http://www.pet360.com/Content/Images/Cms/Greyhound.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/awesomepaws/buckandlily.jpeg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/aa/11/a7/aa11a7286453f54acfb6abcf4bcda1f4.jpg
http://elelur.com/data_images/dog-breeds/whippet/whippet-02.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7JCW6CMGPW2skhHfzqxMoEkIR62Yzk_WDRRJ_V6Q7EiWol0r2
http://orig05.deviantart.net/3164/f/2013/146/d/8/ellie_s_couch_by_w_h_i_p_p_e_t-d66oyz0.png
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/maliraptor/whippetpile.jpg

There is one rule about getting a whippet: You must name it "Devo"
... okay, it's just my rule...

No.....

</img />

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In that case, i hope whatever dog he gets meets the same fate he wishes on other peoples dogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:
The OP is one of the most staunch anti-pit people on this site. He has a kill 'em all attitude.

In that case, i hope whatever dog he gets meets the same fate he wishes on other peoples dogs.

And we're off! Only took 2 pages!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Labs being smart is subjective My personal opinion is that labs make great hunting dogs because they are only smart enough to retrieve things and not much more. Like the poster above said, Labs can't figure out not to eat rocks, etc. Get a cattle dog or shepherd if you want a smart dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards lab, although my neighbor's eats rocks and has to go to vet because of it. What about Jack Russel Terriers? My daughter thinks they are really cute. They look shifty to me.

JRT's are great if you like living with stubborn crackheads. Labs are considered a bit less intelligent, but that isn't a comment on trainability. There is a reason they are so popular. They do shed though, maybe not as much as others, but that is a trait.

Labs are smart, top 10 I bet. They may not always act like it, but they are smart.

Labs being smart is subjective My personal opinion is that labs make great hunting dogs because they are only smart enough to retrieve things and not much more. Like the poster above said, Labs can't figure out not to eat rocks, etc. Get a cattle dog or shepherd if you want a smart dog.

Labs are smarter than cattle dogs, but not Shepherds.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Reading through this, keep advice coming. Guilty as charged on the pit bull thing.
View Quote

That's why I really try to consider what a person says they want, as well as what I know of the person. You never mentioned size or energy level, but greyhounds and whippets fairly well cover the big/small requirements, and they fit your other criteria fairly well. The smallest version, the Italian Greyhound, can be a lot harder to house train. And all these breeds are fairly low energy, which makes meeting their exercise needs much easier.

As Akodo mentioned, dogs are individuals, so some will be good with cats, some not. Some will be fine with small dogs, some not. Some will love kids, and some will be wary of them. In general, though, laid back and relaxed is the name of the game when it comes to sight hounds. One thing to remember about them is that you cannot let them off leash in an unfenced area. They will chase things, and they are very fast when they have a mind to be. They will be in the next county over before you even realize what's happening.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Throw up a poll.  As others have suggested, a Lab is a great "starter dog" and standard Poodle for real.  I have a GSD and a Sheltie.  Both are shedding monsters, but great dogs. Might get a Poodle some day.  They are actually pretty cool,and most people get when they see a full-sized one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The OP is one of the most staunch anti-pit people on this site. He has a kill 'em all attitude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
American pit bull terrior (even though 99% of GD thinks those evil dogs should be banned, but get sand in their vaginas about people trying to take their guns.)

Seriously. You want a low maintenance, mid sized, very healthy, short haired dog that will love the crap out of you abd the family? American pitbull terrior.

Get a 8-10week old puppy. House training is easy and you will be done with it in a month at most.

If they get regular workouts (running/playing/working) they will sleep most of the time, unless there is food around, then they will be laying in the middle of the kitchen floor waiting for food.

That being said, they are a strong dog (just as strong as many dogs mentioned here) and like anything must be treated with love and respect. Mistreat anything and you will get bit.

Pick a few breeds recommended, and do research away from this forum.

Well, nevermind then!

Came to say the same thing. My pit rescue is awesome. Perfectly cool chilling on the couch all day, plays when you want to, extremely smart and eager to please, has NEVER chewed on anything that I haven't given him (I leave shoes out where he can get at them all day every day), rarely ever barks, sheds very little, and has been about the best companion dog I could ask for...

Anyway here's some pics for the hater

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
It has been over two hours now, where is the pic of your wife
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A female minature Schnauzer.  Should be under 20 pounds when grown.  Smart, loyal, trainable.
ETA:
http://<a href=http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t435/asleepatthewheel/NinaMina_zpsyvdoogkk.jpg</a>" />
Mina and Nina, our female mini's pups endorse this post.

View Quote

/thread. I love mini schnauzers. Small enough to cuddle, but big enough to play with. They'll raise a racket if the door rings. They don't shed. Our current mini was potty trained in two weeks. She's a lovely dog!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Weimaraner is the dog you seek...
View Quote

This might be the first time I ever recommended a weimaraner to someone on the internet. Most times I tell people NO, but you fit the description of someone who could own a weimaraner. I have multiple dogs and experience with many of the breeds mentioned. A rescued weimaraner may be the perfect dog for you. I have a large, fenced property so I got suckered into rescuing a 4 year old weim. She is 8 now and still a ton of work, but she is an awesome dog. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Standard Poodle

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lab of course.  Bestest dog as everyone knows.
View Quote

Never met a lab I didn't like
Never met a lab that didn't shed like crazy
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Looks like it so far.

I guess I'll play too.

Boxers are cool.    I didn't want a dog... the wife did.  So we compromised and got a dog.

Just go to the pound, and play with them.  Take whichever one seems happiest to see you.
View Quote

Boxers can be a mess- usually each one will somehow have a bit of crazy but once you have lived with one you will be a boxer lover for life.

Just because they can be a handful there is a few around for rescue because folks get in over their heads . Many tines it is a energy thing, with the op's good size yard a boxer would be a great family dog
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
German Shepherd Dogs only shed once a year.

All Year long

View Quote

That's what my Australian Sheppard-ish dog does. We could knit another dog from what he sheds every couple weeks. He's a great dog, though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#20]
IM Joker1.  

I'll help bring your new dog to you.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#21]
For a first time owner who doesn't want a dog I would suggest staying away from the Black and Tan breeds they tend to have a strong work ethic and need guidance when young. Lack of training can cause you to have a rude 100lb+dog
Rott
GSD
Malice gator
Dobbie
Boxer
Terriers
Wieners
Great dogs , just not for someone who isn't committed to socializing and training the dog.

You have a lot of good suggestions in this thread. Greyhound whippets and the like.
I like the ar15 rescue puppy idea or lab puppy.

A puppy will shit and piss in the house until it's trained. Since nobody in your family has any background with puppies I would look into puppy school. It lasts a few week ends and will be unmeasurable in its help if you pick the right school.

Feel free to IM me if you would like to get more info. I will shoot you my phone #
I've raised!trained dogs for 40+ years

Good luck

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get a Belgian Malinois, they are low maintenance dogs.
View Quote

LOL you're a dick.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Rott  
View Quote

THIS.

Low shedding and good for covering a lot of area with a protective attitude.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Love my dog even though he is a pain sometimes and can be expensive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL you're a dick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL you're a dick.

My Mal is attached to my hip right now. He's a freaking savage... But I love the bastard
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get an old dog.  A really old one.  They will just sit around and not bother you.  With any luck, about the time you get tired of the dog maintenance, the dog dies.  Win-win.
View Quote

Our last couplings have been adoptions of dogs who's owners died (of old age) these dogs are old,
They are also way past the puppy stage, and extremely happy to have a family

As a result I currently have a 25 year old doxie snoring and farting under my wife's side of the bed, and a 13 year old lab/wolfhound mix alternating between sleeping in the closet, and doing the security rounds of the house. If the kids have bad dreams she'll come get us.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude wants a pooch...not a Grand overlord of the family, and new Master of the plantation.

Mal's dominate former Lab owners within days when they are Puppy's, and have a higher practical I.Q. than 98% of people in this country.

No...

I work with a Malinois rescue org., and deal with the fallout, of first time Mal owners that figure a dog is a dog.
Good Mals get the short end of the deal, and get labeled as "Vicious", "Aggressive", "Crazy", and then get dumped and killed at the pound, or abused by ignorant assholes.
Give a soccer Mom a Ferrari Enzo for a grocery getter, and she is going to bitch about it, wreck it, then sell it cheap.

Mals aren't hardwired to be compatible with most, and are a Niche breed that has particular needs, that fits their niche.

Just no....

The guy has kids, and doesn't know any better.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Boxers can be a mess- usually each one will somehow have a bit of crazy but once you have lived with one you will be a boxer lover for life.

Just because they can be a handful there is a few around for rescue because folks get in over their heads . Many tines it is a energy thing, with the op's good size yard a boxer would be a great family dog

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like it so far.

I guess I'll play too.

I love boxers but they just don't live long. Oh and the snoring! Short faced breeds snore loud as fuck!

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Go to the pound and find a lab mutt with a white chest. Bring them home from the dog jail and you will have an awesome family friend.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Low shedding is the big problem with your demands.

Labs, GSD's, are great but shed a lot.

Try a short haired dog, or curly haired like a Standard Poodle.

A Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is a good choice, friendly, loyal.

Go to the pound and look, dogs know when you save them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lab of course.  Bestest dog as everyone knows.

Lab owners don't even know the meaning of the word "shed". I know this, I had two labs in the past, one after the other. Then after the last lab had been gone a few years we got Max. Now we know what the word "shed" REALLY means.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On day 4 in my new home...I found a steak knife on the table, and shanked my new owners wife, when she tried to take it!!!
(No...not kidding.)

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I agree with another poster.

Get a pit bull.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Get a rescue. Get a "smart" breed. Standard Poodle, Border Collie, etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here's what you do.

Contact joker1, Arfcom's own in-house dog rescue who specializes in finding dogs that fit the needs of specific arfcommers.  He goes to local rescues, finds a match then brings it to his home to make sure it really is a great dog and gives it any remedial training it needs, and then arfcommers get together to run a 'doggie relay race'

And Joker1 will do this basically for free, although he will gladly accept any donations.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Saint Bernard. I have 2, and they are awesome!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I suggest a Weimaraner.

Super smart, great family dogs.
very short hair that barely sheds. The hair is also oil-free and mostly hypo-allergenic. This type of hair

keeps then from having that typical "dog smell".

How do I know this ?

I've bred them for over 20 years.

The Vizsla is also a great choice. They are essentially a smaller version of a Weimaraner.

Good luck OP.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:16:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

/thread. I love mini schnauzers. Small enough to cuddle, but big enough to play with. They'll raise a racket if the door rings. They don't shed. Our current mini was potty trained in two weeks. She's a lovely dog!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A female minature Schnauzer.  Should be under 20 pounds when grown.  Smart, loyal, trainable.
ETA:
http://<a href=http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t435/asleepatthewheel/NinaMina_zpsyvdoogkk.jpg</a>" />
Mina and Nina, our female mini's pups endorse this post.

I agree.  They are the perfect size if you also want a companion dog.  We had Niko (a male) who was 7 when he passed due to an extremely aggressive tumor.  He was our first Mini Schnauzer and he sold me on the breed,  Extremely loyal, not aggressive but he was a bad ass if required.  Barked at everything that pulled up to the house.  He was happy around people and enjoyed just hanging out.  What ever I was doing, he was right with me to the point I would often tell him "Niko you don't have thumbs buddy, sorry you can't help",  
" />  

After he passed I wanted another Schnauzer and contacted a breeder.  The wife and I decided to go with a female this time.  Picked up Nina first, then Mina her sister two days later.  Females take to potty training very easy.  Within a couple days, they were on the pad or next to it.  They also do not bark nearly as much as males.  They do make the same low howling growl sound when they want attention.  They do require brushing and grooming, but our girls and Niko actually like it.  My wife has our grooming tools in an old make up caboodle and when we put it on the floor they run up to it smelling it and waiting to be brushed or combed.  

Nina on the way home from the breeder when we took a break at a rest are on the Interstate.
" />
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh sure, OP asks for advice, I answer, then everybody dogpiles me That's what I get for trying to be helpful
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:31:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Oh sure, OP asks for advice, I answer, then everybody dogpiles me That's what I get for trying to be helpful
View Quote

We hate you Milk baggers for a reason...
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Clearly a pitbull is the only logical conclusion.

That or a weiner dog

View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get a lab.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Mal....

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Jack Russel's are great if you want a dog that can do Algebra and also debate with you every decision you make.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack Russel's are great if you want a dog that can do Algebra and also debate with you every decision you make.

And as an added bonus it will also keep your cats in line.........
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Its not really a matter of breed.
Its barely a matter of training the dog.

You, the owner, need the most training if you wish to be successful with your dog.

Seriously, if you have never had dogs you would be wise to educate yourself prior to even attempting to choose a dog. Go buy a few books on training/raising puppies. Go find someone with young dogs and interact with them. After a while you will be much better equipped to choose and raise a dog responsibly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get a Golden.  Best dogs ever.  

They do shed.  A lot.  But once you come to appreciate dog hair as a condiment you'll never want any other breed.

ETA - Good suggestions on Greyhound, Standard Poodle, and Dobie too.  Not quite as good as a Golden, but good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#48]
American Bulldog

I don't think I would have any other dog.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Golden retriever is what you seek. Smart, loves families and fishing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh that is just so wrong, did make me spit my morning coffee all over my keyboard though laughing..

That said OP, seriously, look for a rescue group or animal shelter near you.  There are a ton of dogs out there just waiting for that right person to come in the door and to find their forever home.

We've adopted all of our dogs through rescue and are partial to Rhodesian Ridgebacks.  They are extremely loyal once bonded to a family and are relatively low maintenance.  Our three much prefer laying around and sleeping all day, most of the time..

Here is our latest adoption, Ranger.

And here he and Indy are when they aren't sleeping.

And 10-20 acres for them to play on, they and you will have a blast.

Semper Fi

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top