BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In response to a guy telling the previous poster he fails at reading.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, I didn't read any articles or anything.   Ain't nobody got time for that.

In response to a guy telling the previous poster he fails at reading.

I never told anyone they couldn't read.  I'm above that kind of boorish behavior.

The cannon idea is still sound.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Autistic kids get the short end of the stick on virtually every life experience that most of us take for granted. Those kids will probably never laugh with their friends, kiss a girl, have sex with their wife, and die happy surrounded by their grandchildren. Let them have what happiness they are able to find.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leave your shitty kids with a sitter you inconsiderate fucking asshole.

But what if the kids are autistic?

Then the whole world belongs to them.

Autistic kids get the short end of the stick on virtually every life experience that most of us take for granted. Those kids will probably never laugh with their friends, kiss a girl, have sex with their wife, and die happy surrounded by their grandchildren. Let them have what happiness they are able to find.

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I agree that we all should be extra patient and compassionate, but is there a cut-off point?

How long should a kid scream and yelp in a theater before the rest of us have a right to think that enough is enough, and maybe the parents shouldn't have brought the child? Five minutes, ten minutes? Should they never be expected to leave?

I gave examples before of some extreme parents who really think that their special needs kid is above everyone else. I know that you must not want to take it that far. But how far?

I don't think that the public as a whole should expect that disabled kids be kept out of sight, lest they disturb our delicate sensibilities. But if we're all congregated to enjoy some event (like a musical) and some kids are acting out for more than a few minutes, does it really matter why they are doing it? They are ruining the experience for everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
What was this child getting out of this play.?

It is very dialog driven with intricate word play as the king et al attempt to learn English and western culture.

Music. Motion and dancing can be experienced in other venues. .

Etc,etc,etc....

Sig line is relevant
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I saw some comments on Facebook, where parents of autistic children were acting like no one dare question whatever their kid does, and by damn, they're going to take their kid everywhere, regardless!

There's all this hyperbole and emotional histrionics when anyone complains that the autistic child is making it impossible to concentrate on the performance. These parents act like because it's "not the kid's fault" (true, it's not) that no one should believe that the behavior is disruptive, unwelcome, and heaven forbid anyone notice that the loud yelping is preventing everyone from hearing any of the performance! Hell no, that's just part of the "experience" and you'd better accept it and shut up.

I have no quarrel with a parent who is earnestly trying to get their child out of the theater, as to minimize the disturbance to others. But this sense of entitlement, as if they should never have to worry what anyone else thinks or how it's affecting them...it astonishes me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For example, today we learned that person has the right to run a theater performance for 500 other people if her child is autistic.

I saw some comments on Facebook, where parents of autistic children were acting like no one dare question whatever their kid does, and by damn, they're going to take their kid everywhere, regardless!

There's all this hyperbole and emotional histrionics when anyone complains that the autistic child is making it impossible to concentrate on the performance. These parents act like because it's "not the kid's fault" (true, it's not) that no one should believe that the behavior is disruptive, unwelcome, and heaven forbid anyone notice that the loud yelping is preventing everyone from hearing any of the performance! Hell no, that's just part of the "experience" and you'd better accept it and shut up.

I have no quarrel with a parent who is earnestly trying to get their child out of the theater, as to minimize the disturbance to others. But this sense of entitlement, as if they should never have to worry what anyone else thinks or how it's affecting them...it astonishes me.

They use it as a construct to exempt themselves from the responsibility of their actions. Lower everyone else's expectations so they do not have to do the work or what is required to meet expectations.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:49:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Shit like that reminds me of why I'm pro choice.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:56:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

MAGNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

That is fucking awesome, and crank it up a notch or two, they used that crunts diatribe as an 'anti-texting PSA'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMEr_vBzBk

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember when they'd kick disruptive people out of theaters?

I miss those days.

They still do.  Going there tonight in fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVz-fO7kxcQ

Fixed that for you! GREAT video, by the way.

MAGNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

That is fucking awesome, and crank it up a notch or two, they used that crunts diatribe as an 'anti-texting PSA'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMEr_vBzBk

Their ads are addictive! This one just came out a little while ago:

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:19:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People act like a missing a couple minutes of a fucking stage full of guys in tights prancing around is going to ruin their night.  Fuck them.  I might have a problem if a parent just sits there and lets their kids scream and don't try to quiet them.  But if she was trying to get the kid out or quiet him, no big deal.
View Quote

Don't bring your fucked up kid to a play
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never understood people that bring really little kids or toddlers to movies they have no business being in so they whine and cry and are a general pain. Leave its ass at home if you wanna night out. I don't want to be a part of your mess.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:55:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  You are a self centered ass for bringing kids to a place like that.  The works doesn't revolve around you
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:56:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe the mother of the autistic child doesn't consider $300 tickets to be "expensive".  Fucking poor people.
View Quote

You're so cool
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:27:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm all for theater being accessible, but there is a huge difference between Shakespeare in the Park and a more formal show.  I all but refuse to go to theaters in the US due to general lack of courtesy/rude behaviour.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:16:00 AM EDT
[#13]
If the parents had a reasonable expectation that what happened would happen, then they should not have brought the kid.   If they had no idea, well, shit happens.  

This could very well be the first time, but they have no excuses for a second time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Had it happen in a movie.. Went on for half an hour.

Got my refund for another showing...until there was a revolt in the theater and the mother left.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a family member who is autistic. I hate being around him. I certainly wouldn't be in a theater with him. Parent fail. Brain fail.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You fail at reading. The kid is not the problem. The fucking inconsiderate parents are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arfcom GD I-hate-autisitc-kids threads are so entertaining. Let the dog pile continue!

You fail at reading. The kid is not the problem. The fucking inconsiderate parents are.

No. I'm pretty sure the "shitty kid" and "fucktard" comments are exactly what I expected to find in this thread which is what I was referring to when I made the comment.

Kid is definitely a problem, has problems. Mom, too. Sucks for them. I'd never want to go anywhere if my kid was like that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know.....sometimes shit just happens no matter how hard you try to prevent it and kids have off days.  It was a matinee so not unlikely that kids are going to be there.  Either deal with it or go later when the kids are in bed would be the best solution.

Honestly, we do our best to ensure ours are taught to be considerate, keep the entertained and occupied, and cause as little disruption as possible, and we are pretty good at it.  Discipline doesn't have to be abusive and brutal.

However, comments like yours make me want to feed my kids sugar and sunny D, sit right next to you and play the 'what's the most annoying noise you can make?' game.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#19]
"KIds should be seen and not heard."

"Keep it up and I'll give you something to REALLY cry about." [parents favorite ]

Both phrases were invented for a reason.

Control your offspring, especially in certain areas when out and about, and realize that other people really don't give one flying fvck about your screaming bratty kid because he isn't special in any way, shape, or form to them.

PS, The King And I is NOT a childrens play or show in any way, shape, or form, it is not The Lion King.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Parents and their kids are why I have a projector at home now and never go to the movies. Still remember going to see the last Rambo and some parents brought 2 really little kids and they epically freaked the hell out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This, I paid to enjoy something, not listen to some fuck-tarded kid making noise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, I paid to enjoy something, not listen to some fuck-tarded kid making noise.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Generally speaking autistic kids need less stimulation not more...
View Quote

That's what I don't understand.  A live theatric presentation of "The King and I" would be extremely visually and audibly stimulating.  I can only guess at what level of stimulation this particular kid had been accustom too, but I believe the play was a lot more than normal.  

Then again, this is Monday Morning quarterbacking on my part from somebody who didn't watch the game or know who was playing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's what I don't understand.  A live theatric presentation of "The King and I" would be extremely visually and audibly stimulating.  I can only guess at what level of stimulation this particular kid had been accustom too, but I believe the play was a lot more than normal.  

Then again, this is Monday Morning quarterbacking on my part from somebody who didn't watch the game or know who was playing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Generally speaking autistic kids need less stimulation not more...

In the very heated Facebook discussion I witnessed, the parents of autistic kids seemed to have several arguments:

"We're supposed to get them used to being out in public!"

"We pay for a ticket, we're entitled to be there too!"

"My child can do anything he wants to do!"

"You just don't want to see my child because his disability makes you uncomfortable!"

Now some of these I understand. If the kids need to learn how to be accustomed to being out and about, then how are they ever going to do it if everywhere they go, everyone gives them the stinkeye and tells them they don't "belong"? On the other hand, there are plenty of places to get the child used to crowds and social interaction, but aren't costing everyone $300 for the afternoon or evening. Damn.

And I strongly disagree that just because we don't want to hear a kid have a lengthy and loud meltdown, that it means we're all just haters who can't stand seeing someone a little "different" in our midst. It's normal to not enjoy hearing someone else's kid carry on, loudly, on and on and on. Come on. What do you expect?

Some people can't afford to go to a showing of "The King and I" because they're too poor. They manage to survive. Maybe some people can't afford to go to "The King and I" because they have a child who is at higher risk of acting up and ruining it for everyone else. So maybe they're survive the lack of "The King and I" as well.

There are many places to get a kid with disabilities out in public, having fun, being exposed to "normal" activities, that don't cost everyone $300 a night. Damn!

Some parents seem to be saying that we all must put up with it, that they aren't going anywhere.... I don't get that part. Everyone else's problems are not my problems. My problems are not everyone else's problems. I believe we should try to be compassionate and cut everyone some slack, but if they're going to act like their child is in no way different, and when the child has a long, drawn-out tantrum that disrupts everything, that we all just have to put up with it (when we wouldn't put up with it if it was a non-disabled child having the tantrum) then that's not right.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I have had little problems with kids in the theatre, the real issue is 50+ y/o men. They sit there grunting and making strange sounds. If they have a paper bag or something like that they sit the entire time trying to max their noice output. I really hate old men at the theatre.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember when they'd kick disruptive people out of theaters?

I miss those days.

They still do.  Going there tonight in fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVz-fO7kxcQ

An Alamo Drafthouse opened here not long ago and, as far as I know, is doing very well. I know I enjoy it, not only for being able to have a burger and beer with my movie, but also with the knowledge that Disruptives aren't tolerated.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Isn't that what the lobby is for?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have had little problems with kids in the theatre, the real issue is 50+ y/o men. They sit there grunting and making strange sounds. If they have a paper bag or something like that they sit the entire time trying to max their noice output. I really hate old men at the theatre.
View Quote

Stop going to peep shows.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#28]
As someone with autism, I'm really torn about this.

One one  hand, I was raised that a) the world didn't revolve around me b) you act a certain way in public.  If you go to the bank, you're expected to wait in line quietly. If you go to the theater you're expected to sit quietly and watch the show.

On the other hand, there's a million variables here that I'm not sure if it's the kids fault or the parents fault.  Since I wasn't there and don't know what went down, it's difficult to say honestly if the parents was acting appropriately in trying to calm her kid.

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm autistic, am 30 years old, going to get married this year, do it once a week with my fiancee(who also identifies with being on the autism spectrum), and have my own apartment and an OK job.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Keep the kid at home.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

One one  hand, I was raised that a) the world didn't revolve around me b) you act a certain way in public.  If you go to the bank, you're expected to wait in line quietly. If you go to the theater you're expected to sit quietly and watch the show.

On the other hand, there's a million variables here that I'm not sure if it's the kids fault or the parents fault.  Since I wasn't there and don't know what went down, it's difficult to say honestly if the parents was acting appropriately in trying to calm her kid.

I'm autistic, am 30 years old, going to get married this year, do it once a week with my fiancee(who also identifies with being on the autism spectrum), and have my own apartment and an OK job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You Sir, should be a role model for these kids (and for some here on GD).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#31]
In Texas we call it "The King and My Ownself"
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Really nice....glad to see we can all think reasonably here.  That child deserves to see that play as much as the next person.

ETA: I am on both sides of this. The mother was trying to quiet and/or remove her child.  I commend that.  Some people have no patience, however, take that same person who has a family member with the same issue and they become advocates for that issue.  I may have grown impatient, but once I saw the mother trying to remover her child, I would appreciate that and understand and not gripe about it.  If you don't want to hear kids, then don't go to a "kid" type movie, play, etc...  NEWSFLASH,  kids will be there.  I commend the actor for standing up about this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really nice....glad to see we can all think reasonably here.  That child deserves to see that play as much as the next person.

ETA: I am on both sides of this. The mother was trying to quiet and/or remove her child.  I commend that.  Some people have no patience, however, take that same person who has a family member with the same issue and they become advocates for that issue.  I may have grown impatient, but once I saw the mother trying to remover her child, I would appreciate that and understand and not gripe about it.  If you don't want to hear kids, then don't go to a "kid" type movie, play, etc...  NEWSFLASH,  kids will be there.  I commend the actor for standing up about this.

So, by upgrading that kids right to "enjoy" the play, you would inflict ruin on others right to enjoy it.
Mah feels. None for me in this case.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I still can't emphasize with the parents. If an Autistic child is known for having public meltdown,  then dont take him to places where this behavior would be a serious issue.  

I've got a serious neurlogical  disease that often results in minor seizures and violent jerks of various limbs.   I stopped going to alot of places like movie theaters,  because its distracting to other individuals,  and its embarrassing.

The problem with today's society is that people dont have a sense of shame.   If that was my kid,  I would remove him from the theater, kicking and screaming,  if it came to that.   People also seem to think that because their child has ADHD,  Aspergers,  etc.  that  it somehow excludes the child from discipline.   I had ADHD growing up and my parents smacked the piss out of me when I acted up.   Seemed effective.   I have friends with mildly Autistic children who also respond very well to a smack on the rear,  a flogging with a belt,  of a swat across the knuckles with a ruler.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Still not sure why you would take an autistic kid, known for acting out, gets upset over loud noises, and unable to deal with new people and new situations, into a place that is generally considered a nice place that is loud surrounded by new people and visual effects.

It's like taking a kid who can't swim to the pool and getting upset that people think it's a bad idea for them to be diving in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a family show.  Don't want to be around kids?  Don't go.

It's like going to fucking Applebees and bitching about the toddlers.

Look, nobody likes screaming kids.  The kids themselves, least of all.  You think they're doing that on purpose just to be dicks?  They're not.

Y'all chill out with the high and mighty.  You weren't even there.
View Quote

Good thing it was a unique situation that no one else has ever experienced.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Been there done that. Kids movie we take kids and they are unpredictable, sometimes we take them out immediately. but if some asshole comes up and tells us what to before we take any action I tell them to fuck off and get back to their seat.

Yeah had this bitch (45+)  try to tell me on how we should handle our kids (before the movie even started and the lights were still on.  I asked her if she had kids/grand kids or even married. Had to shut up and get back to her seat.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#37]
In a theater, or anywhere the audience must be listening, one has a duty to remain silent.

Results matter. "Trying" does not. I spent part of this morning with a friend's autistic five year old. I love the guy but there are definitely environments into which he should not be placed. He is not capable of being quiet or sitting still and asking him to do so will cause a meltdown. He will become inconsolable and scream his head off.

My favorite movie theater does "sensory friendly" showings just for kids like that. It's awesome.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not on my dime

Why would someone let an autistic child have sex with their wife?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The child does not deserve to see the play.

and the mother is the retarded one.

and oh by the way, children under the age of 21 should not be allowed on planes either.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A little off topic, but knowing that you both are autistic, are you planning on having kids?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A little off topic, but knowing that you both are autistic, are you planning on having kids?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah..hundreds!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah..hundreds!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah..hundreds!

What?

No, actually.  Her decision more than mine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not on my dime
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not on my dime

What?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
WTF

snip

I wish I could bring a whole platoon of autistic kids to the actor's gay wedding and give all of them trumpets and drums to bang on

When the guy finally lost his shit after an hour of listening to the autistic wedding band, I'd say "HEY MOTHERFUCKER, AUTISTIC KIDS OUTRANK GAYS IN THE VICTIM PECKING ORDER SO STFU."

View Quote

Flawless victory
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They use it as a construct to exempt themselves from the responsibility of their actions. Lower everyone else's expectations so they do not have to do the work or what is required to meet expectations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For example, today we learned that person has the right to run a theater performance for 500 other people if her child is autistic.

You're 100% correct.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#46]

So you advocate hitting autistic kids?

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Don't burden others with your defective spawn.
View Quote

Wow
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah..hundreds!

What?

Thousands
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not on my dime

What?

I don't inconvenience people when I am out nor should I be inconvenienced.  If they have issues, stay home.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I have no sympathy for someone who knows their child can't behave, and takes them places where other people will have enough to deal with the behavior.  They create the problem knowingly, and willingly.  It is their cross to bear, and no one else's.  Just because they are burdened with care of the child, it doesn't mean they have a free pass to ruin everyone else's evening.  People have a right to be angry.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top