Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Christians vs Atheists

Histories longest running Mac vs Personal Computer thread.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If people actually adhered to religious beliefs of Christianity and Judiasm we would have a more stable society. Personally I'd just as soon sleep in on Sunday, but the rest of you should go.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

America's biggest social problem is the disintegration of the family through children with one parent and divorce. Who does this? Overwhelming Christians. Atheists marry later, divorce less and have less children in single parent households, same with Jews. But facing up to one's own moral failings is uncomfortable, so an outside enemy has to be found, so it's the Jews, Gays and Atheists, and ranting about Jews and Gays is tough to get away with these days so who's left as a scapegoat?

Not sure if serious or that's real retarded sir
Google the divorce rates. Atheists and Jews are lower than Protestants, Catholics usually come out in between. That's because religion has nothing to do with how people behave, education and social class does. Atheists and Jews are, on average better educated so,they marry later and divorce less often.  
Where do you stand on religion Aimless?

If people actually adhered to religious beliefs of Christianity and Judiasm we would have a more stable society. Personally I'd just as soon sleep in on Sunday, but the rest of you should go.  

That first sentence I couldn't agree with more, and I'm a Christian, the other thing to take into consideration is that there are vast numbers of people who say "I'm a christian" when asked but probably don't have a clue what it really means to follow Christ. Sure Christians get divorced and commit all kinds of sins, EVERYONE does. But TRUE Christians will be working hard to stay married, fight temptation and "human nature", etc. We all struggle with things we want to change.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Rabid atheists are everywhere today and they all seem intent on demonizing Christianity at every opportunity while at the same time giving Islam a free pass on just about everything and continually making excuses with respect to the barbaric practices conducted by the not so minority of those that follow that religion.

View Quote

Nonsense, we slam all of them equally. The difference is that you were nodding along when we pointed out the insanity in Islam, and shouting in impotent rage when your fantasy was on the block.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I know more than a few that rationalize the issues we have with Islam as a result of the west being involved in the M.E. and supporting Israel.  Their argument is that if stayed away, we wouldn't have these issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rabid atheists are everywhere today and they all seem intent on demonizing Christianity at every opportunity while at the same time giving Islam a free pass on just about everything and continually making excuses with respect to the barbaric practices conducted by the not so minority of those that follow that religion.

None of the atheists I know give Islam a pass at all.  In fact Islam is normally their go to example of the problems which come with imposing religious beliefs.  Far more so than Christianity.

I know more than a few that rationalize the issues we have with Islam as a result of the west being involved in the M.E. and supporting Israel.  Their argument is that if stayed away, we wouldn't have these issues.

That's not atheism talking, but liberalism or ignorance.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Atheists have always been the most mouthy of all the people I know.

In this thread we find out who the rabid atheists are. They are the ones that are going to get all pissy about the term "rabid" as it applies to this thread lol.
View Quote

It's a troll thread started by a Christian to shit on atheists. Look at the beam in your own people's eye.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have no issues with most Atheist here, but some really

do go out of their way to make an ass of themselves.

At first I thought maybe school was out or something

View Quote

Some of them are a total embarrassment to the rest of us.   Most of us quiet non-believers regard those guys like open carry chipotle guys.   There are "those guys" in every group.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Godless heathens
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]
As a Christian, I think OP just really likes to have atheist/Christian argument threads.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
It the "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT MEEEEEEE" thing.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Godless heathens
View Quote

Who?  Atheists?

By definition, literally yes.  

A heathen is somone who doesn't identify with a mainstream religion.

An atheist is someone who does not believe in a theological deity and is therefore godless

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's a troll thread started by a Christian to shit on atheists. Look at the beam in your own people's eye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Atheists have always been the most mouthy of all the people I know.

In this thread we find out who the rabid atheists are. They are the ones that are going to get all pissy about the term "rabid" as it applies to this thread lol.

It's certainly not the first troll thread this particular Christian has started either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Again, who started this thread?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

god?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Easy way to look 'smart'. Lot's of people here need the boost.

It's fashionable to be atheist these days. Just watch TV once in a while. You will see.
View Quote

Well there is my problem

I think in the last 5 years I may have watched 1 hr of regular TV
and that would be the news while sitting in a hotel lobby area.

I typically watch one hr show on a Friday and one movie Saturday night.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Atheism is the fastest growing "religious" demographic in America. When the baby boom generation dies off it might well become the largest. Even today, most self declared Christians give that answer out of reflex or convenience rather than out of any real faith. Most cannot even begin to tell you what it is they actually claim to believe-- beyond vague generalities at any rate. And even the fanatics take their religion cafeteria style, picking out their favorite bits while leaving the majority behind. When confronted with the 90% of the bible they conveniently ignore they are quick to proclaim that Jesus totally changed all that (despite his direct statement to the contrary) or that those sections are merely parables or instructional fables -- apparently forgetting that they would murder you for expressing that exact opinion not so very long ago.

And that's why they are dying out. There are NO questions for which religion provides a better answer than science. Barring some new "revelation" the god of Abraham spoke his final words two thousand years ago. At that time his universe was a very small place indeed, and his ignorant pronouncements reflected this (the imaginary Jesus character, being unaware of germs, even advised against hand washing before meals). Even so, that god might have had something interesting to say, but his human inventors didn't know any better or care if they did. He was always just a tool for confidence men, first an angry menace demanding blood sacrifice and lavish gifts for his earthly servants, to the new-age love guru of today who still apparently needs your love-offering of cash to keep his ministry going.

But it's all going away now. Soon, very soon, the Jesus billboards will be coming down (or perhaps left to rot like a cancerous reminder),  the churches will be shuttered, and declarations of religious faith will be met with eye rolls and amusement. And the world will be a better place for it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#16]

lol @ persecution complex fakirs
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are NO questions for which religion provides a better answer than science.
View Quote

How should I behave towards my fellow man?

Science doesn't deal with philosophy or ethics. It's a complete amoral framework.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think this thread is a result of OP's argument that god steals dogs from people earlier than they are supposed to die since he wants to hang out with them.

That was pretty silly.

View Quote

That thread was a great example of Atheist shitting in a thread.

If you read that thread you would realize that it saddens
me when I see a member here lose there beloved dog.

Was it really that  hard to see the real meaning in that thread?

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#20]
because we have forgotten about godless commies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think this thread is a result of OP's argument that god steals dogs from people earlier than they are supposed to die since he wants to hang out with them.

That was pretty silly.

Wait a minute...........you posted what he said in so many words but meant it differently...............?

In all fairness, it would be nice to have that explained.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

lol @ persecution complex fakirs
View Quote

It's an interesting case.  The religion was founded on martyrdom, martyrdom has been extolled for the entire history of Christianity, and the text itself claims that it is good to be persecuted.

So in a country where the majority of the population is Christian and has historically been in the position which does the prosecuting, you get this strange conundrum.  Being persecuted is good, but there aren't any opportunities in my home to be persecuted, so something feels likes its missing.

You can leave your home and go where you will be prosecuted, but that's hard and very inconvenient.  Much better to search real hard for any persecution you can find here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Why are there so many Rabid Atheist in GD Lately?

View Quote
Because there is no dedicated atheism forum?

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was pretty silly.

Dogs are awesome.
Being sad when a dog dies is normal.

Saying god steals them "early" because they are so cool  is something a mother tells her 5 year old kid to make him feel better about death.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Some of them are a total embarrassment to the rest of us.   Most of us quiet non-believers regard those guys like open carry chipotle guys.   There are "those guys" in every group.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes there are, I take no issue with someone who does not believe or can honestly say I don't know.
The ones who are on a mission every chance they get do indeed make all atheist look bad.

I tend to be a smart ass in general and rip on everyone, apparently some cant handle that.
In truth if I don't like someone I just ignore them. My life it too short to waste it on them.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some article I read yesterday said 50% of 18-33 year olds describe themselves as not being religious  

I think you kind of pass over some important parts of religion even though it's not my thing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Atheism is the fastest growing "religious" demographic in America. When the baby boom generation dies off it might well become the largest. Even today, most self declared Christians give that answer out of reflex of convenience rather than out of any real faith. Most cannot even begin to tell you what it is they actually claim to believe-- beyond vague generalities at any rate. And even the fanatics take their religion cafeteria style, picking out their favorite bits while leaving the majority behind. When confronted with the 90% of the bible they conveniently ignore they are quick to proclaim that Jesus totally changed all that (despite his direct statement to the contrary) or that those sections are merely parables or instructional fables -- apparently forgetting that they would murder you for expressing that exact opinion not so very long ago.

And that's why they are dying out. There are NO questions for which religion provides a better answer than science. Barring some new "revelation" the god of Abraham spoke his final words two thousand years ago. At that time his universe was a very small place indeed, and his ignorant pronouncements reflected this (the imaginary Jesus character, being unaware of germs, even advised against hand washing before meals). Even so, that god might have had something interesting to say, but his human inventors didn't know any better or care if they did. He was always just a tool for confidence men, first an angry menace demanding blood sacrifice and lavish gifts for his earthly servants, to the new-age love guru of today who still apparently needs your love-offering of cash to keep his ministry going.

But it's all going away now. Soon, very soon, the Jesus billboards will be coming down (or perhaps left to rot like a cancerous reminder),  the churches will be shuttered, and declarations of religious faith will be met with eye rolls and amusement. And the world will be a better place for it.
Some article I read yesterday said 50% of 18-33 year olds describe themselves as not being religious  

I think you kind of pass over some important parts of religion even though it's not my thing

bernie sanders and atheism, a new sciencey future for america.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Dogs are awesome.

Saying god steals them "early" because they are so cool  is something a mother tells her 5 year old kid to make him feel better about death.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was pretty silly.

Dogs are awesome.

And its blasphemy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Science doesn't deal with philosophy or ethics. It's a complete amoral framework.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are NO questions for which religion provides a better answer than science.

Your question deserves a better answer than I have time to type here. Instead I will link to perhaps one of the truly great debates on the topic: Professor William Lane Craig (in my opinion the most eloquent Christian Apologetics and ethics speaker in the last century) versus Prof. Shelly Kagan ( Professor of Philosophy at Yale University and the former Henry R. Luce Professor of Social Thought and Ethics.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiJnCQuPiuo
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I believe in God.

But

God doesn't give a shit if you asking him to heal your sick and dying dog or to lay healing powers over a sick relative.

Religion also has no place in government dealings as well.

Keep that shit to yourself.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#30]
They believe that atheism is hip and edgy, don't you know.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I believe in God.

But

God doesn't give a shit if you asking him to heal your sick and dying dog or to lay healing powers over a sick relative.

View Quote

ah, morality-frei governance.

sounds awesome to me!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes there are, I take no issue with someone who does not believe or can honestly say I don't know.
The ones who are on a mission every chance they get do indeed make all atheist look bad.

I tend to be a smart ass in general and rip on everyone, apparently some cant handle that.
In truth if I don't like someone I just ignore them. My life it too short to waste it on them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit. You starts a second thread to increase the drama. Don't start shit, start more shit and then say you don't have time for shit. You love the drama and you have plenty of time for it or you wouldn't have started this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Internet culture/thug culture, and an entertainment ethos that derives maximum pleasure from the misery of others.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I believe in God.

But

View Quote

Probably the best post in this thread.  Seriously.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's not exactly new.

We've had an army of guys who will proudly declare their faith (that God doesn't exist) since the old board.
View Quote

So true, I feel sorry for them...
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Don't know about "rabid" but you can thank the bible-thumpers for wanting to bring in Syrian "refugees" along with trying to empty-out every other third world shit-hole in SA and bring them here.

Call them on it and they pull the "persecuting Christians" card on you.

Piss on them, they are near as bad as liberals.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Your question deserves a better answer than I have time to type here. Instead I will link to perhaps one of the truly great debates on the topic: Professor William Lane Craig (in my opinion the most eloquent Christian Apologetics and ethics speaker in the last century) versus Prof. Shelly Kagan ( Professor of Philosophy at Yale University and the former Henry R. Luce Professor of Social Thought and Ethics.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a different topic. Science is a specific framework for discovering new knowledge through a specific serious of steps.  It is not a framework for answering questions of morality.  That doesn't mean that morality requires religion.  Religion is nto the antonym of science, nor science for religion.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Which religion does GD recommend?
View Quote

odin

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
America's biggest social problem is the disintegration of the family through children with one parent and divorce. Who does this? Overwhelming Christians.
View Quote

Seen this much in real life? (not on the computer while amassing 180 thousand posts)

I sure haven't seen this trend.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean like those ones that go door to door or tell me for no apparent reason I need to be saved?

If you think ardent Christians don't make asses of themselves every day I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

sounds awesome to me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe in God.

But

sounds awesome to me!

Morality isn't dependent on religion.  Morality can exist on is own and without religion.

Religion is, however, dependent on morality in order to have any credible purpose.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Too old fashioned.  I don't want someone wielding a stupid piece of wood with a pointy bit representing me. If it's going to be a warrior god, it needs to be updated for modern weaponry.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Seen this much in real life? (not on the computer while amassing 180 thousand posts)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
America's biggest social problem is the disintegration of the family through children with one parent and divorce. Who does this? Overwhelming Christians.

I have.  Every divorced person I know is Christian.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Secularism worked out swimmingly in the Middle East....
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I have not read this whole thread, but you are all wrong.  

The problem is more rabid trolls than rabid atheists.  Certain christians are super easy to troll because of their loudmouthed defensive nature.  Some Christians remind me of crossfit people, as they need to tell you about it constantly.  They are the first ones to be targeted by the hunting trolls.  
I am Christian, for the record, and I think it is hilarious to watch.

Too many people on here cannot tell when they are being fucked with.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Don't know about "rabid" but you can thank the bible-thumpers for wanting to bring in Syrian "refugees" along with trying to empty-out every other third world shit-hole in SA and bring them here.

Call them on it and they pull the "persecuting Christians" card on you.

Piss on them, they are near as bad as liberals.
View Quote

I don't know about that............from my vantage point it is the godless 'tards like Obama and Sanders who want them all to come over here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Secularism worked out swimmingly in the Middle East....
View Quote

Please name a secular society in the Middle East.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Too old fashioned.  I don't want someone wielding a stupid piece of wood with a pointy bit representing me. If it's going to be a warrior god, it needs to be updated for modern weaponry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ravens never go out of style

CAW CAW MOTHERFUCKAZ
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#49]
There aren't. Start with brushing up on "bias confirmation" and go from there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top