Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2016 12:14:12 AM EDT
Apparently...   You can get this thin g for $12,00 U.S. dollars in Russia.

The more I look at it, the more it reminds me of a Land Rover Defender.

http://www.uaz.ru/en/cars/hunter/models/trophy
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I always kinda dug the GAZ-69.

Ultra-modern '30s styling...produced in 1972.
Although I have to be honest here, if I could find a GAZ (1st series only for either) Chaika or Volga in good shape I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks cool but you'd probably spend a fortune bringing it up to modern western standards.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#3]
You can buy a 25 year old one and import it but uh,no,a 45 year old Commie Jeep is not going to meet DOT standards so a new one would take some doing.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's some great ad copy: " The strengthened protection of steering gear connection achieved by strong pipes."  

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly, they advertised them for import here in the mid 90s but they were obviously never imported. I am guessing crash and EPA standards killed it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's some great ad copy: " The strengthened protection of steering gear connection achieved by strong pipes."  

View Quote

I saw that..  

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#7]
That thing would wad up like tinfoil in a wreck.

Still sort of want.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Sure lets get in bed with more commies.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks cool but you'd probably spend a fortune bringing it up to modern western standards*.
View Quote

*Translation: Yanking out all the shitty, impossible-to-find mechanical and electrical parts before installing reliable, readily-available domestically-produced replacements.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, what you really need is a Trabbie....you can thank me later.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

*Translation: Yanking out all the shitty, impossible-to-find mechanical and electrical parts before installing reliable, readily-available domestically-produced replacements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks cool but you'd probably spend a fortune bringing it up to modern western standards*.

No, more like slapping on a bunch of bullshit environmentalist emissions control gear that costs twice as much as the car and take its already pretty crappy performance and makes it even worse, your $12,000 car that was at least workable before is now a $30,000 car that gets from 0 to 60 in about 45 minutes.  But at least you saved some lichen somewhere (or so you the Eco freaks think).
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#12]
No

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Not sure how well it would hold up given the quality of Russian manufacturing
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I work in vehicle research.
No way these would pass all the regulations to sell in the USA.  Heck, we can't even get a Hi-Lux.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Not sure how well it would hold up given the quality of Russian manufacturing
View Quote

This.

Ever ride in a Russian vehicle? I have.

Ive never ridden in a Yugo, but Id imagine its a million times better.

A shittier vehicle you could not imagine.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No way these would pass all the regulations to sell in the USA.  Heck, we can't even get a Hi-Lux.
View Quote

Didn't Toyota hi lux pickup sell in the US at one time ??   I thought they did before the Tacoma and 4 runner trucks came into being
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Didn't Toyota hi lux pickup sell in the US at one time ??   I thought they did before the Tacoma and 4 runner trucks came into being
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't pass our inane diesel standards.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd love to have a Lada Niva.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Would likely never be able to get it up to U.S. crash safety standards, but kinda want it anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top