Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/10/2016 11:18:56 PM EDT
Various politicians want to give free college educations or partial educations to people.  Is the money aspect really that big of a deal?  With all of the grants, scholarships, loans, etc (and the GI Bill of course) I find it hard to believe that it's simply money that is stopping people from following their dream of going to college.  You might not be going to Harvard but most any state school is possible.  Anybody that wants to can get money to go to school as it is already.  I really can't imagine that there is somebody out there that really wants to go to college but just can't afford it.

Why the push to give "free" college to people?  I can see it already...People sign up for their "free" classes, waste everybody's time and money until they reach the point they fail or get kicked out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

ETA - if it is for some...

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Various politicians want to give free college educations or partial educations to people.  Is the money aspect really that big of a deal?  With all of the grants, scholarships, loans, etc (and the GI Bill of course) I find it hard to believe that it's simply money that is stopping people from following their dream of going to college.  You might not be going to Harvard but most any state school is possible.  Anybody that wants to can get money to go to school as it is already.  I really can't imagine that there is somebody out there that really wants to go to college but just can't afford it.

Why the push to give "free" college to people?  I can see it already...People sign up for their "free" classes, waste everybody's time and money until they reach the point they fail or get kicked out.
View Quote
wait til they can't be kicked out because feelz and "rights"

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Easy loans, grants for breathing and endless pressure from .gov have made it too easy to go to college.  Since there's an endless supply of cash the universities have nothing stopping them from raising rates.  After all since the banks will loan money no matter what who cares how much it costs?

Of course it sucks to pay off that loan for a 7 year bachelors in medieval women's studies as a Starbucks barista.  Since loans are harder to pay off than to get school should be free.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Cost was the biggest factor for me to go to pharmacy school. Some of the schools I looked at would have cost north of 150k for the 4 year program and that's not including housing and books. Right now, I will be in 80-90k in debt when I am out in 2017 and that's only because I paid for my undergrad at community college.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
They've been indoctrinated from the start that if you don't have a college degree you amount to nothing. So, now every little special snow flake goes off to college whether or not they want to. Student loans are given out at will to people who haven't even shown they can pay it back yet. Then they get degrees in shit that isn't worth the paper it's printed on and wonder why they can't find a job in the real world. Next thing they know they have $100K in debt and can't pay it back and it can't be written off even in bankruptcy. College tuition rises because of the unlimited student loans that are handed out. There's a reason there will be a student loan bubble just like the housing market bubble.

The ones listed above pay the same tuition as the engineering students. Which one has the better chance of paying their loan back? They are giving loans in amounts that you can buy a house, but when buying a house I have to have lawyers and stuff involved.

Best way through college is going to community college then a state college. If you don't get the 4 year degree you'll at least get the 2 year degree and have a leg up on the ones that failed their first 2 years at a 4 year school.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cost was the biggest factor for me to go to pharmacy school. Some of the schools I looked at would have cost north of 150k for the 4 year program and that's not including housing and books. Right now, I will be in 80-90k in debt when I am out in 2017 and that's only because I paid for my undergrad at community college.

View Quote

Except you are in college,  so cost did not prevent you from going.

Plus based on your post  you seem like a good person,  not a whiny liberal expecting free college.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes it is. Here, I attribute the rise in education costs to the number of college students. In 1975 the state covered 75% of UC tuition with public dollars, now it is to the tune of roughly 25%. Look at the percentage of the population that used to go to college and the percentage that goes now. School was expensive back then too, but I think it was much more manageable. Less idiots with arts degrees wasting funding. Private schools have always been expensive if you are paying.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I just signed up for independent study.  Learning to cerakote now.  College is for fun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It shouldn't be needed, universities are charging at minimum 1300 a class for 4 credit hours. Community colleges are half that and have programs that will actually help.

Book costs, btw, are monopolized because of "editions." Release a new one every fall semester so that money keeps pouring in.

FAFSA only does so much, you have to pay an amount that is calculated by .gov. FAFSA ain't free. 6 months after you graduate you better find a job to pay up the payments. Grants and schloarships are hard to obtain these days, the competition is fierce. You want free college? Graduate HS with 4.0 and 30+ ACT. You can apply and maybe get it. Then you have requirements that you must meet, gpa, classes, participate in stuff, etc. Theres no such thing as free college. Fail a class and youre out.

What doesn't screw you now, WILL screw you over later.

BTW credit score for a college grad in debt aint high.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
You can only get so much aid.  And when these colleges cost more than $30k/year, people will just keep going in debt.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Gov't is why college costs so much.  Wait until you see how expensive it is when tuition is free.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
When folks ask why I am opposed to "free" collage I always answer why would I want to fund something that has an under 40% success rate.
Also if you are using the word "free" you are probably too stupid to discuss the subject in the first place!

It is possible but a big part of it is making sure you are not attending collage to party as opposed to learning.

Both of my sons graduated with 4 year degrees and practically no debt within the past 10 years.
One has an BS in Automotive Technology and works as a Manager at Carmax.
The other has a BS in Education and work for the local School District.
Under 15K for one and under 8K for the other upon Graduation.
Both of which I ended up picking up because that was our agreement and it gave them a goal to meet.
You put the degree in my hand and I will pay for 1/2 of your cost.
That was predicated on two years at a Junior collage while working and living at home followed by 2 years at a State University.
We are blessed in that we live in a great area with a very good Junior collage that credits reciprocate fully with the two smaller State Universities they attended.
They lived at home and worked, in the case of one he was pulling down 10K a year busting tires and installing batteries at Sam's club and the other worked at Pets-Mart.
They also worked while living in the Dorm and attending State schools.
They have exceptional work ethics and have always worked at least one year at any job they have had.

The oldest bought a 2000 Corvette and paid it off within two years of graduation, went on to marry a smart beautiful minority girl, bought a house and gave me a 5 month old Grandson who is perfect!

The youngest has graduated this year, works full time for the school district and supports himself.

Yes, it can be done and even had we not had our arrangement I have no doubt their debt load would be minimal and gone within 2 years.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife and I both have graduate degrees and had no trouble saving for our kids college education.
We have two kids in state universities now living in the dorm and one more still to go. My kids will not have to
borrow any money for school. Their job is to study and make good grades.  It was not easy for me to put
myself through school, but it was worth it to be able to provide for my own kids education.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gov't is why college costs so much.  Wait until you see how expensive it is when tuition is free.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#15]
It is not a big problem IF you:
A. Go to Community College for the first few years to get some classes knocked out cheaper
B. Be realistic about where you will go to school after that. Big name schools have big price tags.
C. Do a ROI on your degree before you start spending money on your degree. $80k on a 15th century lit degree will lead to unemployment while maybe working a bit harder for a science/engineering /medical degree might be a better choice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When folks ask why I am opposed to "free" collage I always answer why would I want to fund something that has an under 40% success rate.
Also if you are using the word "free" you are probably too stupid to discuss the subject in the first place!

It is possible but a big part of it is making sure you are not attending collage to party as opposed to learning.

Both of my sons graduated with 4 year degrees and practically no debt within the past 10 years.
One has an BS in Automotive Technology and works as a Manager at Carmax.
The other has a BS in Education and work for the local School District.
Under 15K for one and under 8K for the other upon Graduation.
Both of which I ended up picking up because that was our agreement and it gave them a goal to meet.
You put the degree in my hand and I will pay for 1/2 of your cost.
That was predicated on two years at a Junior collage while working and living at home followed by 2 years at a State University.
We are blessed in that we live in a great area with a very good Junior collage that credits reciprocate fully with the two smaller State Universities they attended.
They lived at home and worked, in the case of one he was pulling down 10K a year busting tires and installing batteries at Sam's club and the other worked at Pets-Mart.
They also worked while living in the Dorm and attending State schools.
They have exceptional work ethics and have always worked at least one year at any job they have had.

The oldest bought a 2000 Corvette and paid it off within two years of graduation, went on to marry a smart beautiful minority girl, bought a house and gave me a 5 month old Grandson who is perfect!

The youngest has graduated this year, works full time for the school district and supports himself.

Yes, it can be done and even had we not had our arrangement I have no doubt their debt load would be minimal and gone within 2 years.

View Quote

That is awesome, glad it worked so well for your sons.  They earned it.

College has an "e" in it though.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Recently graduated with a STEM BS from a state school.

This cost is insane.

Schools have simply become drunk on money. The loan culture has led them to put whimsical prices that are not rooted in reality on basically everything.

Lab Manual? $130

Textbook? $140, Oh no, sorry. You bought Last Semesters edition. You need this semesters edition. $580.

Online Product key to take quizzes? $89.99

Times that by 5 or 6 for each class a semester. It adds up fast. Really fucking fast.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Due to unforeseen events I was unable to enroll in any of the online classes I planned on.  Wasn't going to take a loan out not knowing if I would have a job when it came time for my first payment.  So I'm doing a free algebra class I found to help catch me up to speed in that department.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Graduated less than a year ago with an Engineering degree, went 60k into debt to do it. I make 50k a year MORE than I ever made before. I would do it again in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#20]
The prices are insane and it is a problem.
As always, government helped create the problem and government wants to fix the problem.
When you have a problem like this though you can't pretend that it doesn't exist just because you don't like the way it was created or you lose voters and that is where the Republican party has effed up in the past.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Tuition prices are insane? Only if you go to some fucking retarded school that charges out the ass because you chose to do it. Tune in 12 weeks from now for when I receive my Master's degree that didn't cost a penny due to busting my ass and getting a full ride.

College costs whatever you make it cost.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Partly money but mostly time. I work 7pm to 7am 5 or 6 days a week and I was in school before and it was hell working then staying up till 11 or so for class.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can only get so much aid.  And when these colleges cost more than $30k/year, people will just keep going in debt.
View Quote

Who puts a gun to someone's head to go to a college that costs $30k/yr when it can be had for 1/3rd of that?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Tuition is rising through the roof because schools know just about any Joe out of high school can get 10s of thousands per year in federally subsidized loans.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tuition prices are insane? Only if you go to some fucking retarded school that charges out the ass because you chose to do it. Tune in 12 weeks from now for when I receive my Master's degree that didn't cost a penny due to busting my ass and getting a full ride.

View Quote

You getting a full ride doesn't make college less expensive.
Must have been an athletic scholarship.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It is not a big problem IF you:
A. Go to Community College for the first few years to get some classes knocked out cheaper
B. Be realistic about where you will go to school after that. Big name schools have big price tags.
C. Do a ROI on your degree before you start spending money on your degree. $80k on a 15th century lit degree will lead to unemployment while maybe working a bit harder for a science/engineering /medical degree might be a better choice.
View Quote

This. Unfortunately our society is not one of reason... so we throw that shit out the window.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol if I had an athletic bone in my body...it was a brains scholarship.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your major?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be knowledgeable but you are either lacking in logic or in empathy and I would call both a weakness so let us examine the issue at hand.

Pretty much any job outside of manual labor is going to be looking for a degree of some sort especially if you want to move up anywhere near a management level.
The number of those positions and the people trying to get them far outpace full ride scholarships ergo the price of college is going to be very important to a lot of people.
We can look at the price of college and even the less expensive institutions are very expensive for what you get especially when compared with fifty years ago.
Therefore we can see that college is too expensive and it is an issue that impacts a very large percentage of the population which is why pretending it isn't an issue only makes one look stupid.

If Trump is smart he will be taking a stance on making college less expensive; especially since it is looking like he will face off against Bernie.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

And you'll easily make 6 figures out of school if you have a pulse so I'm not seeing the issue
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What's your major?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your major?

Architecture. Not as great as Electrical Engineering, but a hell of a lot better than most of the degrees I could've gotten.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Go to the cheapest state university you can, and get a STEM degree.

For that type of degree, there is very little difference in hiring compared to expensive schools.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You may be knowledgeable but you are either lacking in logic or in empathy and I would call both a weakness so let us examine the issue at hand.

Pretty much any job outside of manual labor is going to be looking for a degree of some sort especially if you want to move up anywhere near a management level.
The number of those positions and the people trying to get them far outpace full ride scholarships ergo the price of college is going to be very important to a lot of people.
We can look at the price of college and even the less expensive institutions are very expensive for what you get especially when compared with fifty years ago.
Therefore we can see that college is too expensive and it is an issue that impacts a very large percentage of the population which is why pretending it isn't an issue only makes one look stupid.

If Trump is smart he will be taking a stance on making college less expensive; especially since it is looking like he will face off against Bernie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may come as a shock to some people. And I don't mean this to be inflammatory: College isn't for everyone. College isn't for most people. The world needs manual labor, and lots of it. There's two categories of people who should go to college:

1. Those who can afford it.
2. Those who are hard working (or intelligent enough) and can get scholarships.

I firmly believe that if you can't afford something, you shouldn't have it. I couldn't afford to go to college without taking massive loans or scholarships. So I got scholarships.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Architecture. Not as great as Electrical Engineering, but a hell of a lot better than most of the degrees I could've gotten.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your major?

I've come to hate architects in my line of work.

Was at a school built in the 80s and it had winding hallways through the building. Which made it have triangular shaped classrooms. No doubt there were lots of wasted material on that job with all the weird angles and whatnot.

They never properly consider the mechanical systems in their designs. The building mentioned above had a mechanical room that if you needed to replace anything major on the far unit you would need to remove the other 2 air handlers to get to it.

Just one of many observations I have.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This may come as a shock to some people. And I don't mean this to be inflammatory: College isn't for everyone. College isn't for most people. The world needs manual labor, and lots of it. There's two categories of people who should go to college:

I firmly believe that if you can't afford something, you shouldn't have it. I couldn't afford to go to college without taking massive loans or scholarships. So I got scholarships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The U.S. actually needs less and less manual labor. It has been that way since the industrial revolution and it isn't reversing course.
There are piles of jobs out there that require a degree, and aren't manual labor, which also aren't scientific jobs. I would think you would know this since it is obvious.
If you are someone capable of those jobs and want them the price of school is likely to be an issue since a lot of people aren't going to get scholarships.
That doesn't mean that they should be pigeon holed into not being able to go to school.

Maybe you are good at math or something but you are terrible at logic and frankly quite unaware of the employment situation that exists in America.
If you had any amount of logic or empathy you would realize the issue but at this point it is obvious that you are simply stroking your ego for having acquired a full ride.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The U.S. actually needs less and less manual labor. It has been that way since the industrial revolution and it isn't reversing course.
There are piles of jobs out there that require a degree, and aren't manual labor, which also aren't scientific jobs. I would think you would know this since it is obvious.
If you are someone capable of those jobs and want them the price of school is likely to be an issue since a lot of people aren't going to get scholarships.
That doesn't mean that they should be pigeon holed into not being able to go to school.

Maybe you are good at math or something but you are terrible at logic and frankly quite unaware of the employment situation that exists in America.
If you had any amount of logic or empathy you would realize the issue but at this point it is obvious that you are simply stroking your ego for having acquired a full ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. My ego doesn't need fed, I try to inspire people all the time to take scholarships by the fistful. I've seen a ton of scholarships go unclaimed. Here's the OP since you may have missed it:

Quoted:

So my responses about not going to a ridiculous school that charges out the ass, as well as my comments about getting a full ride due to busting my ass? Those are directed precisely at the OP, confirming what he's asking and already suspects.

Of course, you think that "That doesn't mean that they should be pigeon holed into not being able to go to school." That's something only a card-carrying member of the FSA could possibly think. God forbid HARD WORK gets you a free education. The government should do it for you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:11:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Meh. I worked and paid for my college in full. My soon-to-be wife did the same.

Most people are stupid and lazy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:12:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Meh. I worked and paid for my college in full. My soon-to-be wife did the same.

Most people are stupid and lazy.
View Quote

Post #87 gets it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#39]
My kid should have pretty close to enough for 4 years at state college.  It will help if she gets scholarships or starts at the community college.  She will not see any of the $$ if she screws up her last years of HS or decides that a ridiculous degree is going to be her life choice.  I get anxious thinking about the whole thing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes it is. Here, I attribute the rise in education costs to the number of college students. In 1975 the state covered 75% of UC tuition with public dollars, now it is to the tune of roughly 25%. Look at the percentage of the population that used to go to college and the percentage that goes now. School was expensive back then too, but I think it was much more manageable. Less idiots with arts degrees wasting funding. Private schools have always been expensive if you are paying.
View Quote

I used to know a guy who worked his way through Stanford working at a gas station in the '50s or '60s.  There are a lot of factors contributing to the inflation of education costs, including but not limited to the costs of providing health care and pensions for faculty and staff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:44:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lol. My ego doesn't need fed, I try to inspire people all the time to take scholarships by the fistful. I've seen a ton of scholarships go unclaimed. Here's the OP since you may have missed it:

So my responses about not going to a ridiculous school that charges out the ass, as well as my comments about getting a full ride due to busting my ass? Those are directed precisely at the OP, confirming what he's asking and already suspects.

Of course, you think that "That doesn't mean that they should be pigeon holed into not being able to go to school." That's something only a card-carrying member of the FSA could possibly think. God forbid HARD WORK gets you a free education. The government should do it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The amount, both in number and dollars, of scholarships is less than the number of people looking to make a better life by going to school which is what makes the price important and it pretty much eviscerates your argument  that something doesn't need to be done because there are scholarships.
You called me a member of the FSA and make statements indicating that you think I have argued that the government should pay for college. No where in my arguments did I make those claims; your reading comprehension is poor. You also apparently don't realize that currently the government does pay for college because they do it through loans that a very large percentage of the college going population take.

So not only are you unable to understand the argument that college is too expensive you are also unaware of the current system that pays for and in fact perpetuates the cost.
In your final line you make this statement "God forbid HARD WORK gets you a free education" indicating that hard work will guarantee someone a free education. That statement is logically false since it isn't about how hard someone works but about their ability to compete for scholarships relative to the rest of the people that they are competing against and the number of scholarships available.

And finally I will reiterate that the number of scholarships, especially full ride scholarships, is magnitudes less than the number of people looking to work hard and better their life through college.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I used to know a guy who worked his way through Stanford working at a gas station in the '50s or '60s.  There are a lot of factors contributing to the inflation of education costs, including but not limited to the costs of providing health care and pensions for faculty and staff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not going to disagree with you on the employee benefits, but you can't deny the insane number of frivolous degrees handed out presently. Donors and taxpayers are paying the same amount for more people.

My point is that not everyone should go to school particularly those that either don't know what they want to do, or don't have any plans to get a worthwhile degree. The UC system is inundated with comm majors, its fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:50:16 AM EDT
[#43]
In my experience, most of the people in college were only there because it's what their parents wanted or they were just here to party. I have 2 friends who took a full year and didn't pass a single class. $35k later they decided hard work wasn't for them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:The amount, both in number and dollars, of scholarships is less than the number of people looking to make a better life by going to school which is what makes the price important and it pretty much eviscerates your argument  that something doesn't need to be done because there are scholarships.
You called me a member of the FSA and make statements indicating that you think I have argued that the government should pay for college. No where in my arguments did I make those claims; your reading comprehension is poor. You also apparently don't realize that currently the government does pay for college because they do it through loans that a very large percentage of the college going population take.

So not only are you unable to understand the argument that college is too expensive you are also unaware of the current system that pays for and in fact perpetuates the cost.
In your final line you make this statement "God forbid HARD WORK gets you a free education" indicating that hard work will guarantee someone a free education. That statement is logically false since it isn't about how hard someone works but about their ability to compete for scholarships relative to the rest of the people that they are competing against and the number of scholarships available.

And finally I will reiterate that the number of scholarships, especially full ride scholarships, is magnitudes less than the number of people looking to work hard and better their life through college.

View Quote

Thanks, I know how all of it works.

So your entire argument is that college should be cheaper so more people can afford to go to college? Correct me if I'm wrong.

My argument is that college is cheap as it is, and it has the potential to be even cheaper if you work harder. A state university runs about $10k annually. Assuming you get loans for 80% of it, you'll graduate with $32,000 in debt. Assuming you got a degree that's worth a damn, you'll have that paid back in 1-3 years. Assuming you then continue to work for another 40 years until you retire, I'd say college is a bargain.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:51:18 AM EDT
[#45]
It's easy to get the money to pay for college.  The hard part seems to be graduating on time and then paying back the loans.

If you're going to borrow a lot of money make sure the profession you go into can pay it back.

Going $100k into debt to get a master's in social work is not a good idea.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So your entire argument is that college should be cheaper so more people can afford to go to college? Correct me if I'm wrong.

My argument is that college is cheap as it is, and it has the potential to be even cheaper if you work harder. A state university runs about $10k annually. Assuming you get loans for 80% of it, you'll graduate with $32,000 in debt. Assuming you got a degree that's worth a damn, you'll have that paid back in 1-3 years. Assuming you then continue to work for another 40 years until you retire, I'd say college is a bargain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:The amount, both in number and dollars, of scholarships is less than the number of people looking to make a better life by going to school which is what makes the price important and it pretty much eviscerates your argument  that something doesn't need to be done because there are scholarships.

You obviously don't know "how all of it works" since you accused me of wanting the government to pay for school when it already does.
College is verifiably too expensive since you shouldn't have to rack up tens of thousands in debt from a crappy  school just so you can get out of the manual labor category of workers.
Not everyone is able to pay off their loans in 1-3 years and I also noticed that your calculations are notably bereft of expenses.
Tens of thousands in debt plus other expenses is literally the exact opposite of being cheap. I don't know why you would try to argue otherwise.
Fifty years ago the majority of jobs requiring a degree either wouldn't require one or the degree would be affordable by simply working over the summer.
These days that is not the case and it impacts a huge percentage of people which makes it a large political issue.
Blindness to this issue is ignorance at best and intentional stupidity at worst.

You are an architect who can't build an argument and I will keep deconstructing your arguments as if you are a freshman majoring in women's studies.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You obviously don't know "how all of it works" since you accused me of wanting the government to pay for school when it already does.
College is verifiably too expensive since you shouldn't have to rack up tens of thousands in debt from a crappy  school just so you can get out of the manual labor category of workers.
Not everyone is able to pay off their loans in 1-3 years and I also noticed that your calculations are notably bereft of expenses.
Tens of thousands in debt plus other expenses is literally the exact opposite of being cheap. I don't know why you would try to argue otherwise.
Fifty years ago the majority of jobs requiring a degree either wouldn't require one or the degree would be affordable by simply working over the summer.
These days that is not the case and it impacts a huge percentage of people which makes it a large political issue.
Blindness to this issue is ignorance at best and intentional stupidity at worst.

You are an architect who can't build an argument and I will keep deconstructing your arguments as if you are a freshman majoring in women's studies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rambling isn't the same as deconstructing an argument. College is an investment. You should've tried it.

ETA: Just for you, just this once: Do you understand the difference between cost and value? $50 for a car is cheap. $50 for a sandwich is expensive. $40,000 for a degree that takes you from $20,000 annually to >$50,000 annually is cheap.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:18:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Anybody care to wager on the "free" college being nothing more than whats already essentially available with community college and current federal aid?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#49]
ummm, because some people starting out are responsible?  (eta: accountable)

gotta have money to put a roof over your head, food in your tummy, transportation to/from school, there are the student fees, text books, etc..

not saying it can't be done, but some people don't have mommy and daddy covering all the overhead for 'em.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Rambling isn't the same as deconstructing an argument. College is an investment. You should've tried it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am still awaiting your rebuttal to my argument that there are fewer full scholarships than people looking to better their lives through college since that was the cornerstone of your argument that college isn't too expensive.
I haven't seen such a rebuttal from you. I would assume that is because your argument was nonsensical.

I personally liked your argument that tens of thousands in debt (not including expenses since in your world I guess those don't exist) was cheap. That argument definitely seemed logical.

America is supposed to be a place of opportunity yet we have designed an economy that is continually putting opportunity farther and farther from reach for the younger generations.
If you look back only fifty years the differences are stark and it is extremely surprising that the older generations have been so blind to the changes in the world.
This is not the argument for socialism it is actually the argument against it as much of the damaging changes have been brought to us through government intervention that has driven the costs of living through the roof.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top