Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2016 2:44:21 PM EDT
Hi folks,

Our small company (less than 50 people) is struggling to help our employees manage their disease states such as diabetes and high blood pressure.  We think that by doing so we'll have healthier, more productive employees.

Any interest we have is supporting these employees in managing their disease states is impacted in small ways by the employees themselves and their coworkers.  One example is the food that is brought in to be shared.

1.  Doughnuts

2.  Bagels and cream cheese

3.  Brownies

4.  Cinnamon sticks

5.  Muffin sized cheesecake bites

I'm just throwing these out as recent examples.

I'm considering "suggesting" a ban on such food unless it is considered nutritious and not full of sugar and carbohydrates.  

My role is simply as a manager trying to improve the health and productivity of my employees.

What has your company done in such areas as "wellness" that has improved your health?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Bans don't work. Offer incentives for positive measurable gains instead.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
we get $15/mo per employee towards any gym membership or boot camp style program.
pretty sure this includes karate/bjj/krav maga type stuff too, but i've been out of that for a while and haven't asked...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
We have a gym on site, as well as a chef that comes in everyday and makes healthy food for lunch.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Since we are in a small town (~1,300), the company partnered with the local clinic/hospital and built a nice fitness/health center that all employees can use 24/7 for free, and the clinic gets to use it for physical therapy patients. We also get 15% of the money we pay in on our health insurance if we complete goals like going to the gym X number of times a month, getting a yearly physical, etc.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
They pay for my gym and comp my annual check-ups (up to 45 bucks)
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Fatties gonna be fatties

Unless the company is buying the junk food (in which case suggest they stop), focus on the proverbial carrot.  My last employer offered $50 off a gym membership as long as we went a certain number of times per month.  My current employer includes a membership at the athletic club across the street.  If you don't go, it lapses, but you can re-start it at any time.  My current employer also provides snacks and drinks--I can't eat most of it, but there are some healthy options (fruit, nuts, cheese, seltzer water, etc.) that I'm willing to eat.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like commie crap to me.

Just don't hire fat people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed on bans not working too well.

May I suggest creating/forming a lunch-time walking group?  No cost and it's motivating. Suggest folks drink a glass of water before and after the walk.

-offset the cost for gym memberships

-maybe support a weight-loss program in conjunction with the walking group?

Lead by example.  Bring it fruit platters.

It's really, really difficult for small businesses to have a health program.  Big businesses can absorb the costs.

You'll need to get creative

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi folks,

Our small company (less than 50 people) is struggling to help our employees manage their disease states such as diabetes and high blood pressure.  We think that by doing so we'll have healthier, more productive employees.

Any interest we have is supporting these employees in managing their disease states is impacted in small ways by the employees themselves and their coworkers.  One example is the food that is brought in to be shared.

1.  Doughnuts

3.  Brownies

4.  Cinnamon sticks

I'm considering "suggesting" a ban on such food unless it is considered nutritious and not full of sugar and carbohydrates.  

My role is simply as a manager trying to improve the health and productivity of my employees.

What has your company done in such areas as "wellness" that has improved your health?
View Quote

$120.00 rebate on gym memberships twice a year.
Sure beats your communist ban on food.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like commie crap to me, just don't hire skinny people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Some companies monetize healthy living by reducing your payments for healthcare if you participate in their wellness programs.  Better rates are achieved using a point system.  Non-smoker: 30 points, run a 5k: 10 points, participate in various wellness initiatives: 10 points, etc.  Earning a certain number of points per year keeps you on the lower rate.  Of course, this system only works on companies large enough to have a wellness program.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This, incentives work.

One of my previous employers had a points system in which you could earn a rebate of up to 50% of your health insurance premiums.

You got points for things like:
  • Getting a physical

• Improving your cholesterol or blood sugar

• Losing weight (if BMI was too high)

• Logging workouts

• Attending nutrition or fitness workshops

• Participating in company fitness events like 5ks

• Getting your metabolism tested

• Etc....

They had a portal on the company intranet that you logged into to track all this, you submitted physician paperwork to support what you logged.

It was completely optional, but worked wonders.

Another company gave huge breaks on health insurance if you wore a fitbit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Adopt an office mascot.

Like a kitten, or guinea pig, or a gold fish...

Or a bear and post these subtle posters around the office.

ETA:

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#14]
If I worked for your company, I would fully support this.

Also, some employers have had luck with lunch hour workouts or before-work workouts.

Equipment is not even needed. A good trainer can use bodyweight exercises.

Quoted:
Hi folks,

1.  Doughnuts

3.  Brownies

4.  Cinnamon sticks

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mt buddies state agency he works for does visa gift cards.    He undergoes a yearly physical with blood draws, BMI etc.  Every standard he stays within prescribed limits on he gets a $50 Visa gift card.  He gets about $300 a year.  I think they have an incentive for tobacco free also.  

Agency believes this is probably less than the money they would have to spend on medical costs if the worker was not healthy.  

He usually buys something gun related with it every year.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wasn't aware that Michelle Obama had an account here
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I get $15 a month towards my gym membership
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a great plan!

Quoted:

This, incentives work.

One of my previous employers had a points system in which you could earn a rebate of up to 50% of your health insurance premiums.

• Getting a physical

• Logging workouts

• Etc....

They had a portal on the company intranet that you logged into to track all this, you submitted physician paperwork to support what you logged.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, incentives work.

• Getting a physical

• Logging workouts

• Etc....

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Negative reinforcement doesn't work to motivate.

You have to get ve them a reason to WANT to be more healthy

And even then it isn't guaranteed.

Hell my company has a wellness program. You earn points from walking or going to the gym or giving blood, those point translate into serious discounts on our health insurance and even fun toys and gift cards (I got a sweet fitbit scale to tell me I'm fat every day.)

Yea alot of people don't participate because they don't care or they think it's a scam or whatever.

If you want to change the diet then you can provide healthy food options, like a bagel bowl or fruit or some shit, but not everyone is gonna get on board.

If you ban shit then everyone is gonna hate you, because doughnuts are awesome, I'm not fat and I fucking love them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like commie crap to me. Just don't hire people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#21]
One of my company's subs gave all their folks Fitbits.

We usually have a yearly weight loss competition.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds like commie crap to me. Just don't hire fat people.
View Quote

Good idea
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy a bunch of pedometers.  Have a month-long contest to see who takes the most steps and give out prizes
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hi folks,

1.  Doughnuts

3.  Brownies

4.  Cinnamon sticks

View Quote

For the most part, anything you do is going to be worthless if people have no desire to be not fat. Most people that don't get exercise and don't eat healthy do so because of a variety of excuses.

I would:

Offer to let them come in early/stay late if they would like to take an extended lunch break and go to the gym mid day instead of down to Denny's.
Work with a nearby gym to work out a deal on memberships for employees so they can get a membership for cheap or free there.
Look into what options you have available for providing healthy lunches.
Check into doing biometric screening or sponsor a companywide wellness clinic.

Don't "ban" them from bringing in unhealthy food. That is not going to go over well.

I eat almost all of those foods you mentioned, but I am in good health because I exercise and only get foods like this in moderation.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Good idea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like commie crap to me. Just don't hire fat people.

Good idea

No. You missed it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I get free Cabelas and Amazon cards for shit I would do anyway
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I worked for a large public transit company (2k employees) that had an exceptionally well organized and funded employee wellness program that I used constantly.  Weight and exercise facilities in every department,  newsletters, every program and incentive known to man (weight loss, smoking, body fat, shots, blood testing for early detection-even for spouses).  They were a very proactive presence in our weekly lives and the fact that they hired only fit hotties didn't hurt.

I enjoyed and took advantage of almost every single program. That said......the trend became: If you don't participate we are going to "fine" you for not doing so.  It looked something like this: If you smoke and are not actively participating in our wellness programs your health insurance rates are going to double.
Their company-Their rules but.....

Carrots are better than sticks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This, incentives work.

• Getting a physical

• Logging workouts

• Etc....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, incentives work.

• Getting a physical

• Logging workouts

• Etc....

Ours did this three years ago, and I got all over it.  Was paying $45 a pay period for healthcare including vision and dental, after my deduction of $25 a pay period.
They now have instituted a "penalty" instead if you don't do the basics--prove nonsmoker status, get a yearly physical, and complete an online health assessment.

So now my rates are almost TRIPLE what they were.  They still like to call this "healthy living deduction" but there's no deduction. Instead they penalize you $20 a pay period if you don't do all three things.    

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't ban anything, it will uneccessarily impact morale.

Ensure healthy alternatives are available, consider wellness programs that are afordable for you which raise health consciousness and reward participation.  See if it can be leveraged to reduce group healthcare rates.

Sample initiatives might involve voluntary fitness programs that are tracked, or voluntary bloodwork programs that provide a nominal reward for participation.  The size and budget of your operation has a lot to do with what is reasonable.  cost it carefully
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#30]
The way I look at it

when you ban something, you are penalizing everyone for the actions of a few.... sound familiar?

Offer rewards instead, make people want to live a healthy lifestyle through example and leadership, don't force them.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#31]
If the wife and I get 100 wellness points , we get 100% of our premium back in Decemeber.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Also explain that as they get healthier as a group and have fewer insurance claims, the company can negotiate a better deal with health inurance companies.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, bring in some kale for everyone. You will be a popular guy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

This x10000

Don't fucking ruin the working environment with Bloomberg politics.

Just offer an incentive for fitness, gym memberships, etc. and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I get a FSA worth $800, was worth $1000 before FBHObamacare.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Incentives, not bans
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#38]
My work put in a gym onsite with expensive machines and people use the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#39]
The university has run hot and cold on these.  They'll get a program  started, encourage people to join, get less than stellar response after the initial blip and then shit can it when money gets tight.  They've done at least three cycles of this in the last twenty years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We have a gym on site, as well as a chef that comes in everyday and makes healthy food for lunch.
View Quote

Yep.   Same here.   Full time physical trainer as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#41]
For every 10 pounds I lose, I get a gift card to my local donut shop.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you guys do?

I work for an engineering firm and I can't imagine using a gym here. After working from 6am to 6pm and being on call 24/7, the last place I want to be is at work. I burn rubber getting out of the parking lot!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What do you guys do?

I work for an engineering firm and I can't imagine using a gym here. After working from 6am to 6pm and being on call 24/7, the last place I want to be is at work. I burn rubber getting out of the parking lot!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you guys do?

I work for an internet based company that is very laid back.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Where I work they give us a free physical and health survey. With the right answers and physical fitness you can earn up top $300 in gift cards. That's how I got a lc9 last year.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Bans are just like taxes and government regulation; the only thing they motivate is for people to do anything to avoid/bypass/cheat around them. It will also cause a rift between management, the 'healthy' employees and everyone else.

So when Bob, who does a great job and shows up to work keeps getting caught with a box of HoHos in his desk...you going to fire him? It's a bad situation all the way around.

Make incentives. Give people reasons to want to do it instead of 'because I said so'. That will be cool for a week.

Gym memberships, fitbits, work with the insurance on a reduction of premiums for health improvements, contests....something. And stay with it, just like you want them to.

Also be prepared for people to literally tell you that they don't care about their health/appearance/fat/diet and just keep moving on with those that do.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Glad I work for a company that doesn't feel compelled to dictate what I eat and drink.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I get $6 per week back for passing a wellness test and not smoking. $312 is worth it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I generally put in 12 hour days (+ more often than not).  It's tough to get to the gym or motivate myself to exercise after that.  My current employer gives us 3 hours/wk paid gym time for use at the on site gym.  (1 hour/day max paid gym time).
I love it and think its better than any incentive program I've seen.
That said, it's subject to work load and use of the program is  surprisingly low.
I enjoy my occasional donut.  Don't take that from me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top