Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2016 1:53:21 PM EDT
From McAlester, OK, and chock-full of lab-grade WTF:

"The preliminary hearing started with an intense exchange between prosecutors Scharn and Christina Burns and Stites' defense attorney, Jeremy Beaver, over the issue of whether the victim should be allowed to have her grandfather sit next to her while she testified. Beaver told the court a main defense is whether the alleged victim is competent to testify or if she was coached to accuse Stites of the crimes.

Once Beaver said he had his concerns about the victim's competency, a noise was made in the area where the child's family was sitting in the courtroom. Immediately, Sheets demanded silence during the proceedings and warned any outbursts wouldn't be tolerated.

The attorney's agreed a district attorney's office representative would be allowed to sit with the now 4-year-old while she testified.

It was during the victim's testimony when things quickly turned ugly. Burns asked the victim if she could identify her assailant in the courtroom. The victim gave an answer, but the answer was not completely audible. Burns said she thought the victim said something along the lines of "I don't know," but the victim's father wanted to point out she had said "I don't want to look at him."

The father was quickly shushed by family around him, but Beaver pointed out the outburst as a conflict because he feared the child would now answer questions seeking approval from family members. Sheets ordered the father leave the courtroom.

"Can I come back?" the father asked Sheets.

Sheets told the father that he was not allowed back in the courtroom and the father took exception. While exiting the the courtroom the father used explicit language to convey his displeasure with the court and loudly pushed open the courtroom door. Sheets ordered Pittsburg County Sheriff Deputy Mike Cathey to arrest the father for being in contempt in court."

A whole bunch more at the link: Stites bound over on single felony; father of child jailed

Rating: an easy out of

ETA: Title edit, girl was 3 when it happened, now 4 years old.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I know every single person involved in this case.

Jeremy..( a friend in HS and played sports with)

Martin...

Sheets..( has no business being on a bench)

Cathey..

and the victims family.

the entire thing is bizarre.my family has been keeping up with it very closely since they live there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
What a cluster.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Dad got thrown out for disrupting court proceedings
Just like everybody else would.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case please correct me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Aren't there special child abuse procedures set up for just this sort of thing? To establish a safe and unbiased way for the child to make their statements without having to confront their molester in a full public court hearing?

Seems bizarre to me that the Court would proceed with a case like this and make the child testify in the same manner that an adult would have to.

And isn't the father legally required to be present while his minor child is being questioned by law enforcement or a court?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm real sorry if something terrible happened to the little girl but that doesn't excuse proper behavior in court.  Judge can and will dole out time like it was candy for contempt or any similar behavior he doesn't like.  It's real sad but you better know, you show up to court well dressed and keep your comments to yourself or else!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm real sorry if something terrible happened to the little girl but that doesn't excuse proper behavior in court.  Judge can and will dole out time like it was candy for contempt or any similar behavior he doesn't like.  It's real sad but you better know, you show up to court well dressed and keep your comments to yourself or else!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless it's a sham court and the judge is protecting a former police officer who maybe a friend....
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Unless it's a sham court and the judge is protecting a former police officer who maybe a friend....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or, the family really was trying to coach the kid or influence her testimony, and got called on it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Judges scream at three different types of people. Bailiffs, Prosecutors, and Cops.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]
A year for contempt of court
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I would say that, considering the age of his daughter, a year in jail is a trifle harsh.  

Seriously, the judge expected this to go smoothly, with that arrangement?

However, the part that really makes me shake my head is this question: does a 4-year old belong on the witness stand during a preliminary hearing?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
As a fellow Okie, who lives in the SW part of the state, I have family in Eastern Ok and wouldn't be a bit surprised if everyone in the court room was related by blood or marriage or both
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Authorities at the time said a forensic analysis of the child indicated she'd been sexually assaulted. Authorities also said there was evidence to indicate the victim's clothing was burned after the fact.
View Quote

After the father was taken away from the courtroom, the preliminary hearing started again. The child offered testimony, using a nickname for Stites, indicating the individual had touched her with his hand on her private areas. However, many of the questions asked by Burns to the 4-year-old were met with a "I don't know" response and her telling officials she did not want to answer some of the questions.
View Quote

Scharn volunteered to dismiss a count of lewd molestation against Stites, citing he did not believe prosecutors had reached the burden of proof to move forward. Sheets said he did not believe there was enough evidence to bound Stites over on either abuse charge as well. But, Sheets did bound Stites over on one count of lewd molestation because of the child's testimony.
View Quote

Seems pretty evident that Stites DID do something to the girl.

The COC prevents me from commenting further on what I would do if I was the girl's father.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not a sham court. for sure.
I know these people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or, the family really was trying to coach the kid or influence her testimony, and got called on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beav called them on it from the start.( and yes, we called him Beav)
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As a fellow Okie, who lives in the SW part of the state, I have family in Eastern Ok and wouldn't be a bit surprised if everyone in the court room was related by blood or marriage or both
View Quote

Ummm
no.
not in Mac
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Aren't there special child abuse procedures set up for just this sort of thing? To establish a safe and unbiased way for the child to make their statements without having to confront their molester in a full public court hearing?

Seems bizarre to me that the Court would proceed with a case like this and make the child testify in the same manner that an adult would have to.

And isn't the father legally required to be present while his minor child is being questioned by law enforcement or a court?
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The COC prevents me from commenting further on what I would do if I was the girl's father.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Authorities at the time said a forensic analysis of the child indicated she'd been sexually assaulted. Authorities also said there was evidence to indicate the victim's clothing was burned after the fact.

After the father was taken away from the courtroom, the preliminary hearing started again. The child offered testimony, using a nickname for Stites, indicating the individual had touched her with his hand on her private areas. However, many of the questions asked by Burns to the 4-year-old were met with a "I don't know" response and her telling officials she did not want to answer some of the questions.

Scharn volunteered to dismiss a count of lewd molestation against Stites, citing he did not believe prosecutors had reached the burden of proof to move forward. Sheets said he did not believe there was enough evidence to bound Stites over on either abuse charge as well. But, Sheets did bound Stites over on one count of lewd molestation because of the child's testimony.

this is something we have wondered. the forensic evidence is very weak from what I am told. half of the people back home think that something happened, but aren't positive. the other half are in total disbelief.

tossing out most of the charges, changed the game.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Does the courthouse lobby have pay phones?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know what you're sayin.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#21]
According to the local paper, the judge suspended the sentence and the dad was released yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

take my word for that the people in Pitt Co have no problems shooting someone. I watched a guy remove a leg of a dude at a car lot with a A5 one afternoon over a woman.

this case is bizarre.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

According to the local paper, the judge suspended the sentence and the dad was released yesterday.

View Quote

Good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top