Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/10/2016 12:27:49 PM EDT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWwhHt0yDIY skip to 2:08
if you never been to a NHRA national event you need to make time!
Drag racing 101 for all you gearheads!

EVERY TICKET IS A PIT PASS! you can stand about 10' away when they wrench on them. you can also get a face full of nitro when they warm them up and seat the clutches!

way more fan friendly then nascar!

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]

cool
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Moar power in ONE engine than the combined horsepower of the entire 2 starting rows of NASCAR.

Each spark plug delivers the power of a 40-watt arc welder, but the plugs are already burned away hallfway through the pass and the engine is "dieseling" on the heat coming from off the valves.

400 hp alone required just to spin the blower.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I live about 10 miles from Gainesville Raceway. Gatornationals.

I can actually hear and FEEL the top fuel passes at the house every year.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
That was so effing metal
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't watch the video yet.... But isn't it 1320 feet
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I spent the first three decades of my life going to Gainesville in March.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What's the top speed on a run like that?
View Quote
300mph+

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
When they hit the throttle, alarms go off in the parking lots.

ETA:Crankshaft only turns about 900 times under load.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not for a while in top fuel.  Someone had equipment failure and wasn't able to stop at the end of the track so they decided to slow thecars down by removing 320' of track.  Cars now go the same speed in 1000' instead of 1320'.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

When they hit the throttle, alarms go off in the parking lots.

ETA:Crankshaft only turns about 900 600 times under load.

View Quote

fify

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My brother, niece and I go every year to Infion raceway ( Sears Point). It's an experience...the sounds, smell of the nitromethane burning your eyes, feeling the vibrations and your heart skips a beat as the car passes.
All if your senses are involved. It's awesome!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not for a while in top fuel.  Someone had equipment failure and wasn't able to stop at the end of the track so they decided to slow thecars down by removing 320' of track.  Cars now go the same speed in 1000' instead of 1320'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott Calletta in the DHL Car at Englishtown New Jersey.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Scott Kalitta.  Had an engine failure close to the finish line and the fire burned up the parachutes.  Along with other mechanical failures he was unable to stop and went through the runoff area.  They changed it to 1000' after that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the cool things about fuel cars is they crank them on alcohol and then the nitro gets pulled in after it's been running a couple seconds. That first couple of seconds on alcohol the engine sounds fairly sedate, then when the nitro gets in the chambers it completely changes character and becomes a cackling beast. Really neat.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Scott Kalitta.  Had an engine failure close to the finish line and the fire burned up the parachutes.  Along with other mechanical failures he was unable to stop and went through the runoff area.  They changed it to 1000' after that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just make the dragway longer...duh.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My brother, niece and I go every year to Infion raceway ( Sears Point). It's an experience...the sounds, smell of the nitromethane burning your eyes, feeling the vibrations and your heart skips a beat as the car passes.
View Quote

That is what got me.  I'd been to many dragraces with conventional cars, both formal and...er...informal.  

But these cars- the first pass I experienced of one, and feeling it in my chest.  Whoa!  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Went to the warm ups or what ever they call them in Sacramento one year where you can go down by the track.  It almost hurt when those cars went by and holy shit was it loud even with ear plugs.  It's a pretty good time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that technically was the problem.

A lot of tracks have shit shutdown areas and even shittier traps.  E-town was one of them.

RIP Scott
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#23]
dragsters DO IT FAST..
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Although I'm a diehard doorslammer guy since the "Gasser Wars" of the 60's, the fuel cars always put on a great show.

If you ever spend some time on the starting between two of these monsters you'll never complain about the blast from a muzzle brake again.

For you new guys, this picture is why rear-engine cars are the standard these days thanks to "Big Daddy" Don Garlits.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKIx4_0KsvA skip to 2:45

this is alky not nitro. but you get the idea of acceleration!

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Luv me sum fuel cars. Merica!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#27]

That video pretty much sums up what going to the Winter Nationals would do to my sinuses after about the second Top Fuel or Funny Car run.  Simply shake the snot right out of me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if only it was that easy. National Trails used to have a stoplight at the end for cross traffic!

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Moar power in ONE engine than the combined horsepower of the entire 2 starting rows of NASCAR.

View Quote

And 100% less turns in the race.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#30]
lost interest  when they knee jerked to the shorter track. might as well race 1/8 mile.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That was so effing metal
View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ-FQvwqxD8

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#32]
So how much did the NHRA pay you???

I'm jumping ship to go with Mike Dunn . . . the No Hot Rods Allowed association is solely after sticking it to the sportsman guys
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Every gearhead should experience that in person at least once. Even if you are not a fan of drag racing (though you probably will be by the end of the day at the track).

I got a little taste of what it feels like to drive a rear engined dragster (Frank Hawley school), I can only imagine what one of the fuel cars feels like.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Each spark plug delivers the power of a 40-watt arc welder, but the plugs are already burned away hallfway through the pass and the engine is "dieseling" on the heat coming from off the valves.

View Quote

try 5 starting rows!

top fuel = 8000hp (calculated)

nascar = 800 (dyno)

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Sounds like being inside an MRI machine but moar so.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Nothing like a good whiff of nitro to get your heart going.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#39]
SHe FAST.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lived about the same distance from Irwindale Raceway in So. Cal growing up during the early days of Don Garlits  and company when top fuel were front engine cars.  200mph back then was the holy grail and cars were just a color blur at the line.
You are absolutely right about the feel and sound of the cars even from that far away.  

Still love the smells and sounds.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I was at the '71 Winternationals when Garlits brought the rear-engine and won. I feel old.
But, drag racing was our family vacations in a slide-in pick-up camper.
Gainesville, Columbus, Indy, Brainerd. Baton Rouge, Pomona. Ontario.
Had great times as a kid with a dad that was so into drag racing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
That is what got me.  I'd been to many dragraces with conventional cars, both formal and...er...informal.  

But these cars- the first pass I experienced of one, and feeling it in my chest.  Whoa!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's definitely something you have to experience in person to appreciate.  TV doesn't do it justice at all.

NASCAR is, in my opinion, better on TV because you can see more of the race.  Same with INDY and Formula 1.

Top Fuel dragsters and funny cars create a sensory experience that is second to none.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I played it with the sound off because of my tinnitus.

j/k  crank that shit  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#44]
We used to have the Night of Fire at the Atlanta Dragway, and they brought out the jet turbine vehicles many times................damn those were loud
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
try 5 starting rows!

nascar = 800 (dyno)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

try 5 starting rows!

nascar = 800 (dyno)

All last year they were touting 10 - 12k for modern top fuel, it's been a while since they calculated 8k and the cars have gotten much faster.

I love me some Top Fuel and Fuel funny cars.  Same for Pro Stock, Pro Mod, etc...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

So how much did the NHRA pay you???

I'm jumping ship to go with Mike Dunn . . . the No Hot Rods Allowed association is solely after sticking it to the sportsman guys
View Quote
Mike Dunn is a class act all the way. ihra will really benefit with a real racer in charge.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#47]
There is nothing like the feeling of having your chest rattled by those top fuel cars.  Even sitting at idle it's like having a continuous barrage of cannon fire.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

There is nothing like the feeling of having your chest rattled by those top fuel cars.  Even sitting at idle it's like having a continuous barrage of cannon fire.
View Quote

I concur!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbCVKk2Udrk

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Murica!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top