Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it SAC who was so adamant about not travelling anywhere he couldn't carry? Lulz.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're in the Ozarks, why would you ever want to travel?  

You've already seen the best the world has to offer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some people save up money for guns, some people save up money for cars, some people save up money to travel the world……

How important is world travel to you?  I know people who are pretty extreme on each side of the fence.  Being in Midwest…particularly the “Ozarks”, you seem to find a lot of people who have no desire to explore the world, or even the US, or even get outside of the state for that matter.  It’s not uncommon to talk to people here in their 30’s and 40’s that haven’t even seen the ocean, or been in an airplane.  Their definition of world travel is taking a trip to the Walmart in the next county.  

On the other end……I know people who pretty much work for the sole purpose of financing their trips around the world.  Africa, South America, Burma, Australia, New Zealand….they have been everywhere!  Sounds fun, but not my thing…..too much money spent vs. what you get.

I fall somewhat in the middle.  I like going on “vacation” every year or two to places out of the states. I’ve been to Germany, France, Thailand, Italy, Mexico……and although I have a good time checking out new places around the world, I also love checking out all of the amazing places in the good ole USA.  I will say one thing though………traveling the world definitely makes you appreciate how good we have it here in the US.  We take a lot of things for granted here…..we actually have it pretty darn good.

How much world travel do you do?  Do you think it’s important to travel the world and see different places/cultures….or is it a waste of time?

If you're in the Ozarks, why would you ever want to travel?  

You've already seen the best the world has to offer.

Ozarks and the mountains(CO) are the only places I really enjoy seeing more than once.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Have virtually ZERO interest.
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I think everyone should see how the rest of the world is, and I'm not referring to the well-developed parts. People would be a little more thankful for what they have if they spend some time in 2nd or 3rd world environments for a little bit
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Waste of time.  You could spend a lifetime exploring this country and still not see it all.
View Quote

This.  My tourist dollars are spent domestically.

Except for my yearly fishing trip to Canada.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I love to travel, especially being that I love history and like to see the places I've read about.

I've been to a number of Civil war battlefields and a few Revolutionary War battlefields also.

I took to trip to the Bahamas a few years ago for the same reason, went to a few museums while there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife is completely supportive; we've been married for 25 years, only taking dogs too for about 20.
Not sure what about my username or post would lead anyone to think I'm female.
View Quote

It was probably the part where you mentioned being scared to go places where you couldn't carry a gun.

I have a theory that the posters who claim they have no interest in world travel wouldn't fit in aircraft seats anyway.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread makes me sad. I am in the West Indies right now. I came inside to look at arfcom because it's raining and the tree frogs are chirping like a motherfucker. I'm going to make a thread about it when I get back.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I travelled the world as a child. Despite being born in the states to US parents, I hadn't even lived in the states while not an infant until I was 13. I've lived everywhere from Australia to Eastern Europe to North West Africa (Jesus the person assigned to my security clearance when I graduate is going to hate me ). I live in the states now because I truly believe it's the greatest country on earth, despite all our problems. I wouldn't mind travelling occasionally again, and I'm determined to spend some serious vacation time in the south pacific at some point, but I'm pretty happy where I am. I encourage world travel though; it usually causes no harm and generally makes you a more experienced human being.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I like traveling, in the US. Work has sent me to AK 4 times already and preparing to go again in two weeks. Seen the Canadian Rockies. That was something to see but I don't really care for Canada that much. Nothing against the people. They are awesome. It is the driving laws for commercial vehicle that I do not like. I always feel like I am going to get a ticket for something that I have no clue about. Traveled to all parts in the lower 48 except the far northeast. I will eventually hit them up too. Don't want too but I will. Found out in my travels that I really like the I-90 region of WY/MT boarder area. I wish I could retire there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I fly for a living, the last thing I want to do on my vacation is fly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The flights (and the cost involved) are the hurdle I can't seem to get over.

Were money not an issue, I'd love nothing more than pack up a 4x4 and do a Long Way Round-style trip.  

View Quote

If you're patient and buy early enough, you can tickets to Mexico, Belize or Costa Rica for $500~. Honduras, Bonaire, and several other destinations for a hundred or so more.  European tickets often  go on sale for well under a grand.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some people save up money for guns, some people save up money for cars, some people save up money to travel the world……

How important is world travel to you?  I know people who are pretty extreme on each side of the fence.  Being in Midwest…particularly the “Ozarks”, you seem to find a lot of people who have no desire to explore the world, or even the US, or even get outside of the state for that matter.  It’s not uncommon to talk to people here in their 30’s and 40’s that haven’t even seen the ocean, or been in an airplane.  Their definition of world travel is taking a trip to the Walmart in the next county.  

On the other end……I know people who pretty much work for the sole purpose of financing their trips around the world.  Africa, South America, Burma, Australia, New Zealand….they have been everywhere!  Sounds fun, but not my thing…..too much money spent vs. what you get.

I fall somewhat in the middle.  I like going on “vacation” every year or two to places out of the states. I’ve been to Germany, France, Thailand, Italy, Mexico……and although I have a good time checking out new places around the world, I also love checking out all of the amazing places in the good ole USA.  I will say one thing though………traveling the world definitely makes you appreciate how good we have it here in the US.  We take a lot of things for granted here…..we actually have it pretty darn good.

How much world travel do you do?  Do you think it’s important to travel the world and see different places/cultures….or is it a waste of time?
View Quote

I voted no but I have seen most of the world on Uncle Sam's dime and frankly I wasn't impressed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Europe is fun, if you only go once I recommend Italy/Rome
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been to Ecuador, Peru, Vietnam, Cambodia and South Korea, all within the last 5 years. It was a blast travelling with my two buddies and south east asia was cheap and extremely fun! They go on more trips than I do, but I am hoping to tag along with them their next time out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I voted no but I have seen most of the world on Uncle Sam's dime and frankly I wasn't impressed.
View Quote

Military travel doesn't count. There's more to it than getting drunk on cheap beer in cheap bars.  Lol just lol.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm 35 and have been to 30 countries.

Trying to see them all. Wife and I go to a different country every year.  Last year was Australia, before that Thailand, this year Caribbean, next year south america.
View Quote

That is awesome!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe I'm a snob and I'll be honest,being better off than average does give a different view of both priotities and possibilities,but I could not possibly be happy without travel. I enjoy a change of scenery,change in culture and exploring history too much. I took 2 weeks to visit American Civil War battlefields on motorbike from Georgia to Pennsylvania even though I have zero connection to it,it's just interesting. Likewise,it's great to read about a WWII battle,spend €200 on a flight and go visit.
 We have no kids and are self-employed so we can F off when we want so that is another consideration,along with having an SO who also enjoys most of the same things.

Something I have noticed a bunch here in Arf though is fear of going some place as safe as DC. I can't believe that people are so frightened that they would never go see the Constitution and Bill of Rights or the museums on the Mall when it is just as safe as going to the local mall. I won't go some place utterly stupid but seriously,going to the beach in Egypt isn't more dangerous than freakin' Miami,just use some common sense.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Waste of time.  You could spend a lifetime exploring this country and still not see it all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I voted yes because my work took me to enough parts of the world to make me aware of how very fortunate I was to be born in Waco, TX, USA.  Working in countries called Zaire and Cabinda at that time were most responsible for that conviction but spending time in parts of Mexico and Venezuela certainly enforced it.  I enjoyed the times spent working in the North Sea and the Bering Sea and the areas around them.

Right now my passport has been expired for a couple of years and I see no reason to renew it.  I used to enjoy walking onto a jetliner and walking off hundreds or thousands of miles away.  Today I hope I never have to do it again.  It was really cool back then.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's it like to be so small minded?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
It is sad to see so many in this thread so completely missing the point, but maybe in a way, it's just as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#23]

poll sucks

world travel is a nice to have. But not important. I would love to see Japan, Egypt and Israel. I would love to visit Germany again.

I'm in no rush. It is on the list, but not a priority
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Why do I need to travel when I can learn everything there is to know about the world from Conservative blogs, TV talking heads, and GD?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#25]
If I can only see one place overseas it is and always has been the Egyptian Pyramids.
My fear is that the crazies will have destroyed them by the time I can make the trip.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why do I need to travel when I can learn everything there is to know about the world from Conservative blogs, TV talking heads, and GD?
View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Meh, what do people learn by travelling they can't learn in a book/documentary (besides being a snob)? Honestly, I like the books/docs better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#28]
You cant return an experience.  Waste of money, imo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm in this camp.

Peru is pretty awesome by the way.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have spent a lot of dough on travel. I wouldn't take all of that money put together for one single memory I have.

Next up...Ireland(again), Peru, Madagascar, Scotland, Philippines, and anywhere else I can possible get to.

I'm in this camp.

Peru is pretty awesome by the way.  

I'm with you two.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#30]

I feel the traces, they left on my soul....
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#31]
FPNI
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I would rather visit all 50 states. But there are some parts of the world I want to visit. I have been to Canada, Mexico, Cayman Islands, Jamiaca, and Spain.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't feel like I am missing out by staying in the states.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It is sad to see so many in this thread so completely missing the point, but maybe in a way, it's just as well.
View Quote

Curious on your definition of "the point" and why is it so depressing to you?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I care more about the journey than the destination.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
-Mark Twain
View Quote

And this is why I refuse to travel. I have enough of an issue with commie liberal faggots as it is, why would I want to risk becoming one?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I love traveling, both internationally and around the US.  It's really enlightening to talk to people from different countries or regions and see things from their perspective.  I also enjoy all of the good food and drink from different cultures/places.

I think it would be a shame to only stay in your little bubble and not see what else is out there.  I don't spend all of my money on traveling, but I do think that spending money on experiences is well worth it.

ETA: Live is to be lived.  Sitting home on your ass doing the same old routine until you die is the definition of boring.  I think back on the things I've done and seen, and they are some of my most cherished memories.  Especially when I've been traveling (and on fishing trips, etc) with close friends and family.
View Quote

This man knows the secret of life.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I travelled to a few places in my youth,  but haven't been on a vacation in a long time. I think I'd like to go on 1 more trip, maybe to jamaica.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are. The US is great, but there are some things you cant even begin to experience until you leave and travel overseas.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You are. The US is great, but there are some things you cant even begin to experience until you leave and travel overseas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And those things are not important to some people.

Travel abroad is very expensive. And, until you've been to a place you don't know what you're going to get.

It's a little like trying a new restaurant. Sometimes, it's great. Sometimes it's shitty and you've wasted your money.

I've been a few places and I'm batting about .500. Jamaica was an absolute shit hole with shitty people. Ireland was a wonderful experience but, it would cost me 8k dollars to take my family there. We could do 3 or 4 very nice trips in the US for that kind of money and would have every bit as good of a time.

If money was no object, I would surely take them to see the world. Since money isn't growing on my trees in the back yard, we prioritize and leaving the US is not high on the list when there is so much we like to see and do, here.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Travel abroad is very expensive. And, until you've been to a place you don't know what you're going to get.

It's a little like trying a new restaurant. Sometimes, it's great. Sometimes it's shitty and you've wasted your money.

I've been a few places and I'm batting about .500. Jamaica was an absolute shit hole with shitty people. Ireland was a wonderful experience but, it would cost me 8k dollars to take my family there. We could do 3 or 4 very nice trips in the US for that kind of money and would have every bit as good of a time.

If money was no object, I would surely take them to see the world. Since money isn't growing on my trees in the back yard, we prioritize and leaving the US is not high on the list when there is so much we like to see and do, here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone knows Jamaica is a shithole. I knew before I got married there that anything off the resort was a shithole.  With TripAdvisor and Web forums, not knowing what you're going to get is a choice. As far as being expensive goes, again,  totally by choice.   I just rented a private villa on Bonaire,  for a week, for $669 total.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I agree.........unless you are dead set on all-inclusive resorts, and top-tier hotels......international travel can be made pretty cheap. The most expensive part are the airline tickets.  After that, it's all up to you as far as how much you want to spend.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#42]
There are a few things I would like to see in person, like the Pantheon and the Parthenon... but otherwise I have no need to leave the USA. It has more to offer than I will ever be able to see anyway... And I don't have to learn a language... Or deal with as much government.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I like traveling, it makes me value what I have as a citizen of the United States of America
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Everyone knows Jamaica is a shithole. I knew before I got married there that anything off the resort was a shithole.  With TripAdvisor and Web forums, not knowing what you're going to get is a choice. As far as being expensive goes, again,  totally by choice.   I just rented a private villa on Bonaire,  for a week, for $669 total.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, there are cheap destinations. Air fare alone would be 4.5k for us to get to Europe. Most of the vacations we take in the US are under 1k. We camp a lot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I like traveling, it makes me value what I have as a citizen of the United States of America
View Quote
Perspective is a helluva thing

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Not important at all. I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. International travel with young children doesn't sound fun to me at all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Absolutely not.  I have exactly ZERO desire to leave the borders of the USA.  

I would absolutely love to travel a huge circle around the USA and stop at all the sights, national monuments, national parks, and as many 1-road towns as I could.  
But because that would cost tens of thousands of dollars, and take months to experience....It will most likely never happen for me.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Very important.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, you can really appreciate how great the USA is when you get out of the country and see how rough other people have it.    There are some pretty neat things to see and experience once you get out of the US.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top