[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have any kind of sense or decency, you'll politely cancel your visit to avoid exposing them.  MRSA is not a fucking joke.

this.

MRSA causes medical people to go home in cold sweats... wondering.

I've been working as an RN around people infested with MRSA for 10 years.  I have yet to have one issue and cannot name one person I have worked with that has ended up with MRSA.

Honestly the vast majority of people that have MRSA have abscesses.....And the vast majority of them also have horrible hygiene and I'm not sure if they have ever taken a shower.

This.

If you clean on a regular basis and are not walking around with open wounds you're fine.

Have you ever stepped foot inside a hospital and touched anything? Yes? Congratulations! You're positive for MRSA. Unless you have shit for immunity and or are a slob the chances of you contracting it are slim to none.

I've spent 7 years in an ER and 11 on an ambulance. I don't fear MRSA. If your buddy was coming over with C. diff on the other hand I'd tell him to FOAD and kill anything he touched with fire. YMMV.  

c. diff?!?

https://45.media.tumblr.com/2f88e2c4d5b5561b5f1c1b918bbf9c93/tumblr_mz5htqWTc21qls1aoo1_250.gif

C. Diff is nowhere near as dangerous as MRSA.  C. Diff is an opportunist and generally only overruns patients who are have no normal flora in their gut (people who are immunocompromised or on moderate strength antibiotics).  Clostridium difficile lives in the soil.  It's literally everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#2]
People in the community have MRSA and most don't know about it.  It's not the end of the world.

If you're concerned about your guests, shower with some hibiclens a few days before and get some bactroban for your nose.  That will cut down the colonization of your skin considerably.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
About a third of a nurses that work med/surg have it colonized on them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't sweat it. There are tons of people with MRSA you interact with daily and never know it. Where do you think these people with MRSA shop, eat, go to movies? Practice good hand hygeine, make sure your guest has their own towels, and wash the bedding when they leave. Most normal people do this for their guests MRSA or not. Just curiois, where is the MRSA?
View Quote

Exactly.  It is on the your skin and you don't know it.  It is on the doorknob, the table, etc.  You don't get it from simply making contact with it; its got to get into your body through an open wound/sweat gland/etc. and your immune system has to be weakened.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If there are no open weeping wounds or lesions, it's hard to share.

MRSA is bad voodoo.
View Quote
It sort of depends on where it is, why it's been noticed by doctors, and what the patient is doing about.

As far as I recall, there are MRSA carriers that have things like sinuses colonized... who don't necessarily shed bacteria and don't get infected themselves.

Someone with an open wound that's not healing because it's dribbling MRSA pus that's a different story.

But, yeah, sharing a bathroom (and not having it sanitized afterwards) was a dick move.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have any kind of sense or decency, you'll politely cancel your visit to avoid exposing them.  MRSA is not a fucking joke.
View Quote

this
MRSA isn't a head cold.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Exactly.  It is on the your skin and you don't know it.  It is on the doorknob, the table, etc.  You don't get it from simply making contact with it; its got to get into your body through an open wound/sweat gland/etc. and your immune system has to be weakened.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't sweat it. There are tons of people with MRSA you interact with daily and never know it. Where do you think these people with MRSA shop, eat, go to movies? Practice good hand hygeine, make sure your guest has their own towels, and wash the bedding when they leave. Most normal people do this for their guests MRSA or not. Just curiois, where is the MRSA?

You mean staph or MRSA?  Staphylococcus aureus is common.  MRSA is not.  MRSA is a nasty version of staph that is resistant to antibiotics.  

I see people get these two confused frequently.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You mean staph or MRSA?  Staphylococcus aureus is common.  MRSA is not.  MRSA is a nasty version of staph that is resistant to antibiotics.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I mean both and I've had both.

ETA: I see what you're saying in that MRSA isn't as commonly lying around and is concentrated in specific areas.  My mother is a frequent flyer at one hospital and they know her from her records and get all their gear on to come into the room due to her having had MRSA.  Yet, there I sit in the same room with her, visiting her when she's home.  She's a known carrier.  She goes out everyday and goes shopping, visits people, goes out to eat.  I'd say it has gotten places.

In my case I was coming off a project and was extremely worn down having worked 7 days a week 12+ hour days for over two months and then jumped right into a project at home while working in the office and running my kids all over the place.  I posted a thread about my experience with regular staph here because some ER doctor thought I had a STD and obviously misdiagnosed me (about the third time I've been misdiagnosed).  Thankfully the antibiotic in both situations was the same but I still needed and abscess drained.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Clindamycin is the reason I got c diff 3 years ago and still struggle with a fucked up bowel. I'll never take clindamycin again.

Quoted:

No, went looking for the numbers and 4.6% of patients in U.S. health-care facilities are colonized. I work in healthcare as does my wife so I'm pretty sure we have it and my first son has it from being in a NICU for 3 months.

It really is no big deal. clindamycin still works on it. The scary shit is VRE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say that you have a bit of MRSA and are scheduled to visit and stay with someone for a few days.

Would you feel obligated to tell the people that you are visiting that you have MRSA or would you keep it to yourself?

No, went looking for the numbers and 4.6% of patients in U.S. health-care facilities are colonized. I work in healthcare as does my wife so I'm pretty sure we have it and my first son has it from being in a NICU for 3 months.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#10]
As a business traveler, I've had it 3 times, all of which that were very odd.

All 3 times involved the infection around cuticles (2 times fingers, 1 time toe) that went 0-60mph in hours.

The first time, It started with an agitation and within a few hours I could literally see my heart beating in my finger.
I lanced the puss and instantly felt relief from the pressure and pain. I later went to urgent care and they tested it, came back the next day as MRSA.
They gave me a prescription and I was good.

The other two times were the same, a quick urgent care visit and I was good to go. The issue would heal within a a few days.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Clindamycin is the reason I got c diff 3 years ago and still struggle with a fucked up bowel. I'll never take clindamycin again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say that you have a bit of MRSA and are scheduled to visit and stay with someone for a few days.

Would you feel obligated to tell the people that you are visiting that you have MRSA or would you keep it to yourself?

Have you looked into fecal replacement?  Sounds gross but it seems to work for people in restoring their normal gut flora
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#12]
You probably have MRSA on your skin as we type... Many of you do.... All of us have some form of Staphylococcus aureus all over us, it's normal Skin flora. Lots of mail order medical degree Dr. Google herp derp in this thread. Gluten will make your dick fly off. That's what some of y'all sound like right now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about that?
CA-MRSA is on the rise. It may be because more people are using antibacterial products in the community and it is allowing stronger bacteria to survive and mutate. In 1974 about 2% of all staph infections were MRSA; currently (2011) the estimation is that 70% of all staph infections are MRSA.

Since its first appearance in 1960 , methicillin resistance in S. aureus strains has become widespread in hospitals and intensive care units (ICUs) . National Nosocomial Infection Surveillance (NNIS) System data demonstrate a steady increase in the incidence of nosocomial infections caused by methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) among ICU patients over time. MRSA now accounts for >60% of S. aureus isolates in US hospital ICUs
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh, just think about all the people colonized with MRSA you come in contact with that don't know it and don't have any symptoms.
View Quote

My wife and I both fall under that category. We assume we both carry MRSA, because we took care of her parents, who both had an active case of MRSA at one time or another. Active as i, they spent time in a hospital, isolated, being treated for active MRSA. My FIL almost died.

The fact that they recovered does not mean the MRSA was destroyed. It was just beaten down, and still hanging around in their sinuses and possibly other portals.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#15]
A lot of hysteria in this thread. MRSA isn't AIDS, and you all probably have it in your skin, in your nose and mouth, and in your house anyway.  It's just staphylococcus aureus bacteria that is resistant to methicillin (and some other antibiotics).  For most healthy people, I t's only a problem if it decides to colonize enough to cause an acute infection. People with weakened immune systems are more at risk for a severe infection.

We have plenty of ovals that cover it, and having an abscess or something that is mrsa does not mean you should be in the hospital. As long as you keep any open wounds or infection sites covered, and practice good hygiene practices (wash your damn hands), everyone will survive.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#17]
C. Diff is nowhere near as dangerous as MRSA.  C. Diff is an opportunist and generally only overruns patients who are have no normal flora in their gut (people who are immunocompromised or on moderate strength antibiotics).  Clostridium difficile lives in the soil.  It's literally everywhere.

The smell, sir, the smell
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He was here for the funeral of his mother.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had an in-law that stayed at my house a couple of years ago due to a death in the family and follow-on funeral.

He didn't mention that he had MRSA because he didn't want to create any more drama given what was already happening.

I just found out recently.  There were three other people sharing the guest bathroom with him during this time.

This person is very intelligent, but has a Mr Magoo streak at times.

Obviously, there weren't any problems, but my nose is a bit out of joint over it now that I know.

He's a dick that put you at risk. He could have stayed at a hotel. Every time you see him remember how little he thinks of your safety.

Putting strangers at risk is somehow more acceptable?  

Look up the protocols for washing sheets and towels when one has the infection.  He should not have left his own abode.  PERIOD.

He was here for the funeral of his mother.

A dilemma even for a genius.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
MRSA doesn't even rate for contact precautions any more
View Quote

Yes it does.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1 . That could kill people. MRSA is not a joke
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 . That could kill people. MRSA is not a joke

It killed my mother-in-law last year.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spot on...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wow. Just read the rest of the replies.  

You people just repeat bullshit that is wrong.   You are ignorant.

View Quote

At least we seem to be making some progress on "it's a spider bite".  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't see why he could not have still attended, but I know I would have had some precautions in place for while he was there and especially once he left and I did a final cleaning.

As mentioned lots of folks deal with it on a daily basis and if he is in the healing stage that is not that hard to deal with.

But probably let him shower last in morning and spray down the shower and clean the bathroom when he is done.  Sheets and bedding would be done however it is standard to do it these days, don't know if it is everyday or not.

I would be bent out of shape a bit as well.  Would not have banned him and could see making him stay in a hotel depending on how many people were going to be in various places.

When my family has a gathering it is common to stay in houses with relatives, but when it gets crowded there are a few who are happy to go to a local hotel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Somebody please explain to me (you're all obviously experts) what this person with MRSA is supposed to do for groceries?

Several of you have pointed out that he is carrying a deadly pathogen and shouldn't be allowed in his friend's house. Clearly he shouldn't go to a movie theater, grocery store, post office, bank, or WalMart. If he did, we would all be afflicted with his plague by now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't see why he could not have still attended, but I know I would have had some precautions in place for while he was there and especially once he left and I did a final cleaning.

As mentioned lots of folks deal with it on a daily basis and if he is in the healing stage that is not that hard to deal with.

But probably let him shower last in morning and spray down the shower and clean the bathroom when he is done.  Sheets and bedding would be done however it is standard to do it these days, don't know if it is everyday or not.

I would be bent out of shape a bit as well.  Would not have banned him and could see making him stay in a hotel depending on how many people were going to be in various places.

When my family has a gathering it is common to stay in houses with relatives, but when it gets crowded there are a few who are happy to go to a local hotel.
View Quote

I think this is where I basically sit.

I would still allow him in my house, but I would have taken precautions to try to keep the exposure to a minimum.

A couple people could have used a different bathroom and that would allow me to nuke-clean it when he left.

But, as it stands, nothing happened...so that's good.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
You would be amazed at how many people have MRSA and never know.
You do know that most MRSA's are treatable like any other infection? Just not with Methicillin.
Not worth mentioning unless you have a wound infection or maybe some sort od dermatitis.
How about hep c? You know more than a few people with that and they don't know it....
The world can be scary.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Somebody please explain to me (you're all obviously experts) what this person with MRSA is supposed to do for groceries?

Several of you have pointed out that he is carrying a deadly pathogen and shouldn't be allowed in his friend's house. Clearly he shouldn't go to a movie theater, grocery store, post office, bank, or WalMart. If he did, we would all be afflicted with his plague by now.
View Quote

All wounds should bandaged and covered with fresh bandages before going out in public.  Hands should be washed after touching any wound infected with MRSA.  Hands should be washed after wiping a runny nose before touching anything or anyone.  

The problem is most people DO NOT do the above.  Many don't even wash their hands after going to the bathroom.  

In OP's case.  The infected person was sharing a bathroom with other people.  That means infected hand towels and shower.  Hospitals require special contact precautions to be taken with MRSA patients.  I'm not referring to a MRSA carrier, someone with an active infection.

If you and others are suggesting it's no big deal, are you saying hospitals are just being too paranoid?  Are they just wasting extra PPE for no reason then?

I am a Medical Laboratory Scientist certified by the ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology) with a 4 year bachelors degree.  I work a hospital laboratory.  You know, the guys that test for this stuff?  I don't specialize in microbiology, but I'm no layperson either.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#28]
[url=https://45.media.tumblr.com/2f88e2c4d5b5561b5f1c1b918bbf9c93/tumblr_mz5htqWTc21qls1aoo1_250.gif]https://45.media.tumblr.com/2f88e2c4d5b5561b5f1c1b918bbf9c93/tumblr_mz5htqWTc21qls1aoo1_250
. Diff is nowhere near as dangerous as MRSA.  [/red] C. Diff is an opportunist and generally only overruns patients who are have no normal flora in their gut (people who are immunocompromised or on moderate strength antibiotics).  Clostridium difficile lives in the soil.  It's literally everywhere.
View Quote

This thread has more stupidity than the ancient civilization nuclear war thread. Holy shit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

Complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This thread has more stupidity than the ancient civilization nuclear war thread. Holy shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[url=https://45.media.tumblr.com/2f88e2c4d5b5561b5f1c1b918bbf9c93/tumblr_mz5htqWTc21qls1aoo1_250.gif]https://45.media.tumblr.com/2f88e2c4d5b5561b5f1c1b918bbf9c93/tumblr_mz5htqWTc21qls1aoo1_250
. Diff is nowhere near as dangerous as MRSA.  [/red] C. Diff is an opportunist and generally only overruns patients who are have no normal flora in their gut (people who are immunocompromised or on moderate strength antibiotics).  Clostridium difficile lives in the soil.  It's literally everywhere.

What part of that statement is incorrect?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This thread is funny.

Doing BJJ there's always somebody with a staph infection at any given time.  It happens all the fucking time between our schools.  I've gotten it maybe 5 times.  Impetigo twice.  Buddy had MRSA twice.  It doesn't spread like a cold.  It's easy to avoid in most scenarios, too. Hell, kids know guys who've trained with a staph infection.

Every time somebody got a MRSA infection they invariably got admitted for observation with an IV.

Guess the hospital has just been selling muffler bearings.
View Quote

I'm not sure what your point is.

Everyone has it and is always spreading it yet is somehow easy to avoid.  You'll always end up in the hospital but they're just pushing BS treatments on you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Also, one of the reasons you don't pluck nose hairs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a long conversation with my doctor about MRSA. I work around IV drug users, tweakers, the lot. Many of whom have MRSA, or have all sorts of different infections. Wash hands, wipe down surfaces regularly, and you're fine. My doctor told me that most people have MRSA actually on their skin, the reason they don't get infected, is that they don't give it a path to infection, and that they wash it away regularly. It's just a staph infection, just one that is resistant to antibiotics. If you're not regularly getting staph infections, you're not going to get a MRSA infection.
I had a positive MRSA test before my surgery. Apparently, it's fairly common. I had to use some weird nasal gel before surgery. I wasn't too worried about it and can't remember all of the details.

It lives in your nose.  That's why.  A lot of Americans have Staphylococcus aureus living in there nose.  Not many have Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).  The problem arises when someone who has MRSA living in there nose has an open wound.  They can get nasty fast.  

Also, one of the reasons you don't pluck nose hairs.

I don't pluck them because it hurts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Everyone has it and is always spreading it yet is somehow easy to avoid.  You'll always end up in the hospital but they're just pushing BS treatments on you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is funny.

Doing BJJ there's always somebody with a staph infection at any given time.  It happens all the fucking time between our schools.  I've gotten it maybe 5 times.  Impetigo twice.  Buddy had MRSA twice.  It doesn't spread like a cold.  It's easy to avoid in most scenarios, too. Hell, kids know guys who've trained with a staph infection.

Every time somebody got a MRSA infection they invariably got admitted for observation with an IV.

Guess the hospital has just been selling muffler bearings.

That staph isn't spread like a cold.  I see I somehow forgot to leave that in there.

ETA-  It is in there, you just didn't highlight it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#35]
You people are pussies, MRSA is a  strain of Staph.... How many staph infections have you had in your life? None? Exactly. Its not the bubonic plague. It infects mostly filthy people or an occasional person with badluck. Youre at walmart? there are 25 other people in there finger fucking stuff before you do that have MRSA. Im a RN, deal with it daily, handwashing is plenty to combat it. No need to douse the sink with bleach afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Sure they can visit...Wearing a EVA suit.

I almost lost my leg to that shit so they can stay the hell away.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C. Diff is WAYYYYY more contagious than MRSA, I dont care what the infographic or link says. That shit will spread down a nursing floor fast. It will go through a household as well. I would let MRSA Molly sleep in my bed, C. Diff Carla wouldn't be allowed in my house.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Define "a bit of MRSA".  Colonization vs. an active infection will have different responses.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whoever has the MRSA needs to stay home till they are cleared. And Dr worth their degree should have explained the precautions to take to keep it from spreading.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If by 'no big deal, you mean spending 8 days in the hospital, 3 in ICU, osteomyelitis, ostectomy of 5th metatarsal, almost losing the remainder of the foot, taking Ertapenem, Vancomycin  and other stuff, PICC line, twice daily blood tests. Then after discharge, three months IV treatment on Cubicin at home via PICC line, twice weekly blood tests, 3x week visits to would care center, wound vac, skin grafts, 3 more months of oral antibiotics...then sure...no big deal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If by 'no big deal, you mean spending 8 days in the hospital, 3 in ICU, osteomyelitis, ostectomy of 5th metatarsal, almost losing the remainder of the foot, taking Ertapenem, Vancomycin  and other stuff, PICC line, twice daily blood tests. Then after discharge, three months IV treatment on Cubicin at home via PICC line, twice weekly blood tests, 3x week visits to would care center, wound vac, skin grafts, 3 more months of oral antibiotics...then sure...no big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you diabetic?  Vanc + Ertapenam means a poly microbial infection.  MRSA is definitely a big deal for people with poor health and immunity, as well as compromised wound healing
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top