Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2016 1:33:26 AM EDT

Let's say that you have a bit of MRSA and are scheduled to visit and stay with someone for a few days.

Would you feel obligated to tell the people that you are visiting that you have MRSA or would you keep it to yourself?

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:34:51 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have any kind of sense or decency, you'll politely cancel your visit to avoid exposing them.  MRSA is not a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have any kind of sense or decency, you'll politely cancel your visit to avoid exposing them.  MRSA is not a fucking joke.
View Quote

Just to be clear, I do not have MRSA.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was using the royal you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that.

I was just trying to head off any confusion after I re-read my first post.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:39:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Especially if they have kids. Just showing up with something like that is a total dick move.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wasnt going to be this harsh, but i completely agree.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:40:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Pitch a Quarantine tent, backyard.

Signage as appropriate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd sure as hell want to know. A good friend of mine had it two years ago. Spent two full months in the hospital, and came about as close to death as possible. Not something to fuck around with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 . That could kill people. MRSA is not a joke
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:44:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah don't come near them or anyone.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretend they have Ebola and treat accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#12]

I had an in-law that stayed at my house a couple of years ago due to a death in the family and follow-on funeral.

He didn't mention that he had MRSA because he didn't want to create any more drama given what was already happening.

I just found out recently.  There were three other people sharing the guest bathroom with him during this time.

This person is very intelligent, but has a Mr Magoo streak at times.

Obviously, there weren't any problems, but my nose is a bit out of joint over it now that I know.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:10:33 AM EDT
[#13]
If there are no open weeping wounds or lesions, it's hard to share.

MRSA is bad voodoo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:12:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I had an in-law that stayed at my house a couple of years ago due to a death in the family and follow-on funeral.

He didn't mention that he had MRSA because he didn't want to create any more drama given what was already happening.

I just found out recently.  There were three other people sharing the guest bathroom with him during this time.

Obviously, there weren't any problems, but my nose is a bit out of joint over it now that I know.

View Quote

He's a dick that put you at risk. He could have stayed at a hotel. Every time you see him remember how little he thinks of your safety.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If there are no open weeping wounds or lesions, it's hard to share.

MRSA is bad voodoo.
View Quote

I don't know the details other than I recall a bandage.  I don't know if it standard to wrap it whether there is an open wound or not.

My major disconnect is that he was using the same shower facilities as everyone else and that damp environment would have been a wonderful place for it to be transferred to someone else.

....or at least that's the best my very amateurish medical opinion can come up with.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:17:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He's a dick that put you at risk. He could have stayed at a hotel. Every time you see him remember how little he thinks of your safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think he did it our of a lack of concern for the rest of us, but rather a lack of common sense in that area.

He's an extremely intelligent individual who is capable of doing some really stupid things sometime....just because he's just one of those brainiac kind of people who are capable of unknowingly doing stupid things.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:18:18 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have a staph infection and are handling it right, not that big a deal.

If you MRSA you should be on an IV in the hospital.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:21:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that standard treatment for all MRSA cases?

He told me that he had it when he visited.  He's not one for telling tall tales.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a long conversation with my doctor about MRSA. I work around IV drug users, tweakers, the lot. Many of whom have MRSA, or have all sorts of different infections. Wash hands, wipe down surfaces regularly, and you're fine. My doctor told me that most people have MRSA actually on their skin, the reason they don't get infected, is that they don't give it a path to infection, and that they wash it away regularly. It's just a staph infection, just one that is resistant to antibiotics. If you're not regularly getting staph infections, you're not going to get a MRSA infection.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I think it is 3-4% of the population has it on their skin at all times. It is very common and not "dangerous" UNLESS it enters the blood stream or a wound. Do you know any RNs, MDs, RTs, PTs or OTs? Chances are, they have MRSA but are perfectly healthy. It can get very dangerous if you have a compromised immune system like the transplant patients on my unit. But for most healthy individuals, it will not be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:31:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think it is 3-4% of the population has it on their skin at all times. It is very common and not "dangerous" UNLESS it enters the blood stream or a wound. Do you know any RNs, MDs, RTs, PTs or OTs? Chances are, they have MRSA but are perfectly healthy. It can get very dangerous if you have a compromised immune system like the transplant patients on my unit. But for most healthy individuals, it will not be an issue.
View Quote

My wife was perfectly healthy until an infected hair follicle on the back of her calf turned into something that resembled a brown recluse bite in the space of a few hours.

It took IV antibiotics - cubicin, big-guns stuff - to finally knock it out after it failed to respond to both vancomycin and sulfas.  She ended up with what looked, for all the world, like a gunshot wound to the back of the leg after they were done draining and debriding it.

We got a nice letter from the school district a week or so later letting us know that some cases had been reported in the district, but "not to worry", for basically the same bullet points you stated.

So, yes, it can go from not a problem to very fucking serious in nothing flat, even for totally healthy people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He told me that he had it when he visited.  He's not one for telling tall tales.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had plenty of staph infections.  They can be dangerous, but manageable.  I'd you have MRSA it means the antibiotics aren't working and you have to get admitted.  It's severely life threatening.  People sometimes don't know there is a difference.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.

MRSA causes medical people to go home in cold sweats... wondering.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:35:44 AM EDT
[#24]
a lot of MRSA infections can be tallied back to the family dog.

a lot of problem infections normally end up with the dog.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Let's say that you have a bit of MRSA and are scheduled to visit and stay with someone for a few days.

Would you feel obligated to tell the people that you are visiting that you have MRSA or would you keep it to yourself?

View Quote

Did their declawed cat swipe at my kid? This determines the outcome of my actions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:55:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Putting strangers at risk is somehow more acceptable?  

Look up the protocols for washing sheets and towels when one has the infection.  He should not have left his own abode.  PERIOD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look up the protocols for washing sheets and towels when one has the infection.  He should not have left his own abode.  PERIOD.

He was here for the funeral of his mother.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:58:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

I've been working as an RN around people infested with MRSA for 10 years.  I have yet to have one issue and cannot name one person I have worked with that has ended up with MRSA.

Honestly the vast majority of people that have MRSA have abscesses.....And the vast majority of them also have horrible hygiene and I'm not sure if they have ever taken a shower.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:01:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Meh, just think about all the people colonized with MRSA you come in contact with that don't know it and don't have any symptoms.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:03:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, went looking for the numbers and 4.6% of patients in U.S. health-care facilities are colonized. I work in healthcare as does my wife so I'm pretty sure we have it and my first son has it from being in a NICU for 3 months.

It really is no big deal. clindamycin still works on it. The scary shit is VRE.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:08:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO IT IS NOT!

I took care of lots of guys coming back from Iraq with recurrent MRSA abcesses and put them on oral clindamycin for an extended time and usually required nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:11:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm a nurse, MRSA ain't the Black Death. Quit being retarded and wash the sheets/clean the guest bathroom.  

I'm around dirty ass MRSA FOLKS EVERY DAY I WORK AND I DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

this,MRSA is beyond nasty
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I had a long conversation with my doctor about MRSA. I work around IV drug users, tweakers, the lot. Many of whom have MRSA, or have all sorts of different infections. Wash hands, wipe down surfaces regularly, and you're fine. My doctor told me that most people have MRSA actually on their skin, the reason they don't get infected, is that they don't give it a path to infection, and that they wash it away regularly. It's just a staph infection, just one that is resistant to antibiotics. If you're not regularly getting staph infections, you're not going to get a MRSA infection.
View Quote
I had a positive MRSA test before my surgery. Apparently, it's fairly common. I had to use some weird nasal gel before surgery. I wasn't too worried about it and can't remember all of the details.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:25:40 AM EDT
[#36]
For fuck's sake, do some research on it before you go spouting nonsense.

It is not Zika, Ebola, Monkey Pox AIDS or anything.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:41:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

Lol.  I work in Healthcare.   I see MRSA patients all the time.   Doesn't bother me a bit.  

Most of you come into surface contact with MRSA way more often than you think.

Lot of derp in here.  Don't take a bath in it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:44:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow. Just read the rest of the replies.  

You people just repeat bullshit that is wrong.   You are ignorant.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No, went looking for the numbers and 4.6% of patients in U.S. health-care facilities are colonized. I work in healthcare as does my wife so I'm pretty sure we have it and my first son has it from being in a NICU for 3 months.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took care of a patient who was flown out from Abu Dhabi who had a Multi-drug resistant Gram-negative bacteria that was resistant to all antibiotics approved by the FDA. So there was literally nothing that we could do to directly combat it . So everyone was losing their shit over it so i volunteered to take him because I am on point with preventing cross contamination. I have seen a lot of my coworkers just go into an isolation room without the extra PPE and without standard PPE (gloves) and mess with a patient's foley, NGT/OGT and suction, mess with drains and chest tubes, and im just like NOPE! I will take it and make sure whatever the hell he has does NOT spread to our extremely susceptible transplant population on the floor or our fresh open hearts either.

This is going to sound weird, but I actually really enjoyed it because it kept me on my toes and kept me thinking at all times. Luckily, our hospital was next in the city's rotation for EBOLA or whatever the next big infectious and highly communicable disease is, so I was recruited to join the Special Contagious Disease Team . Still haven't been called in though , but i am eagerly waiting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:26:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've been working as an RN around people infested with MRSA for 10 years.  I have yet to have one issue and cannot name one person I have worked with that has ended up with MRSA.

Honestly the vast majority of people that have MRSA have abscesses.....And the vast majority of them also have horrible hygiene and I'm not sure if they have ever taken a shower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

This.

If you clean on a regular basis and are not walking around with open wounds you're fine.

Have you ever stepped foot inside a hospital and touched anything? Yes? Congratulations! You're positive for MRSA. Unless you have shit for immunity and or are a slob the chances of you contracting it are slim to none.

I've spent 7 years in an ER and 11 on an ambulance. I don't fear MRSA. If your buddy was coming over with C. diff on the other hand I'd tell him to FOAD and kill anything he touched with fire. YMMV.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This.

If you clean on a regular basis and are not walking around with open wounds you're fine.

Have you ever stepped foot inside a hospital and touched anything? Yes? Congratulations! You're positive for MRSA. Unless you have shit for immunity and or are a slob the chances of you contracting it are slim to none.

I've spent 7 years in an ER and 11 on an ambulance. I don't fear MRSA. If your buddy was coming over with C. diff on the other hand I'd tell him to FOAD and kill anything he touched with fire. YMMV.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

This.

c. diff?!?

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#43]
We had a guy who had MRSA in the filthiest, most crowded conditions possible.  Boot camp.  Half the platoon died.  

Actually, he was on light duty and couldn't go in the pool, but did everything else with us.  Not sure why you guys are acting like it's the plague.

However, to answer the OP's question, he definitely should have told you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:32:54 AM EDT
[#44]
a guy i work with contracted MRSA somehow...i know he has a pic line, and he might still be out on disability. (been 2-3 months)
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn't sweat it. There are tons of people with MRSA you interact with daily and never know it. Where do you think these people with MRSA shop, eat, go to movies? Practice good hand hygeine, make sure your guest has their own towels, and wash the bedding when they leave. Most normal people do this for their guests MRSA or not. Just curiois, where is the MRSA?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#46]
MRSA doesn't even rate for contact precautions any more.

Just bleach the fuck out of everything and you'll be fine. Wear gloves and thoroughly wash hands after patient contact.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tough shit.  Doesn't matter.  He could have killed people.  Does a funeral make it "ok"?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I had a positive MRSA test before my surgery. Apparently, it's fairly common. I had to use some weird nasal gel before surgery. I wasn't too worried about it and can't remember all of the details.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It lives in your nose.  That's why.  A lot of Americans have Staphylococcus aureus living in there nose.  Not many have Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).  The problem arises when someone who has MRSA living in there nose has an open wound.  They can get nasty fast.  

You know when you got prescribed antibiotics and felt better so you didn't take the whole bottle as directed?  That's how MRSA came about.  Also has a bit to do with over use of antibiotics in our livestock population, which in turn makes its way into our food.  Also the prevalence of antibacterial soaps and wipes.  The staph simply evolved.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#49]
This thread is funny.

Doing BJJ there's always somebody with a staph infection at any given time.  It happens all the fucking time between our schools.  I've gotten it maybe 5 times.  Impetigo twice.  Buddy had MRSA twice.  It doesn't spread like a cold.  It's easy to avoid in most scenarios, too.  Hell, kids know guys who've trained with a staph infection.

Every time somebody got a MRSA infection they invariably got admitted for observation with an IV.

Guess the hospital has just been selling muffler bearings.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It lives in your nose.  That's why.  A lot of Americans have Staphylococcus aureus living in there nose.  Not many have Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).  The problem arises when someone who has MRSA living in there nose has an open wound.  They can get nasty fast.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, one of the reasons you don't pluck nose hairs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top