Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2016 10:16:51 PM EDT
http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2016/2/9/shoplifter_dies_afte.html

When confronted by employees, Wisham ran. Employees caught up to Wisham and detained him after he fell while running.

While awaiting the arrival of Lakeland Police to take Wisham into custody, the employees realized that Wisham was not breathing. They began CPR and called paramedics.
View Quote

In Florida it is legal for store employees to detain shoplifters and our area Walmarts allow their loss prevention personnel to do so.  I am wondering if he was in poor health and had a heart attack due to running/fighting or if a couple of them sat on him and the weight made it so he couldn't breathe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Good

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Liability... They has it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good

View Quote
yeah fuk dat guy!

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Neckbearding SOB !!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Perp was 64 - definitely plausible that he just up and died due to the excitement of the situation.

I'm guessing that Walmart will still quietly settle out of court with the family though.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
dang the luck
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Lemme guess ....Wisham is 5' 7"  pushing 325 lbs and had a heart attack while being stressed out over being detained.

that's just a guess......
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yeah fuk dat guy!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

yeah fuk dat guy!

He's a thief, not feeling the sympathy for what was likely a life long crime spree.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends 100% on the cause of death.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Perp was 64 - definitely plausible that he just up and died due to the excitement of the situation.

I'm guessing that Walmart will still quietly settle out of court with the family though.

View Quote

Really? ......well, so long pops
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I know they do apprehensions now, but I thought they got away from doing them for at least a little while.

I would bet the employees involved will be tossed under the bus but the company will settle it quietly and expensively.

Most FSA types actually have a dollar amount where Junior suddenly becomes worth the loss.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]
That's fucked.

My first job was at Wal-Mart back in 1991 (-94), when there was a shoplifter they would announce over the loud speaker code whatever and what section they were in but when they ran out the door they would call Code 500 and all male employees were supposed to run after and catch the shoplifter. God that was fun, I was in high school, played baseball all 4 years and would run after these fucks and knock the shit out of everyone that I caught
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking for a downside. I might be a bit upset and second guessing myself if I were one of those loss prevention guys, but other than that zero fs given.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's fucked.

My first job was at Wal-Mart back in 1991 (-94), when there was a shoplifter they would announce over the loud speaker code whatever and what section they were in but when they ran out the door they would call Code 500 and all male employees were supposed to run after and catch the shoplifter. God that was fun, I was in high school, played baseball all 4 years and would run after these fucks and knock the shit out of everyone that I caught
View Quote

Your style...I like it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I work at a orange big box store.  LP can detain shoplifting suspect until the authorities arrive.  I have been there when paramedics were called for a suspect that said he was having a heart attack.  He lived, was charged with shoplifting, had a nice ambulance ride and ER visit to pay for too.  Of course you and I will end up footing the bill for it since that scumbag sure isn't going to pay it!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#16]
if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#17]
OP he was not detained, he detained himself.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I know I live in a quality area (Lakeland, Polk County) when GD has a thread about it once a week.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
One of the local stores had a lady in custody and she pissed herself in the office and took off running.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I know I live in a quality area (Lakeland, Polk County) when GD has a thread about it once a week.
View Quote

But it is diverse. How about posting that map you have?

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#21]
"Always Low Prices Lifes."
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mind you, I hate the North Side.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#23]
(EVERY DAY).. Bad day to be retail loss prevention.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Death is a high price to pay for shoplifting,but he bought the ticket.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

http://s29.postimg.org/8je04e6jb/Lakeland.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://s29.postimg.org/8je04e6jb/Lakeland.jpg

LOL!  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't shoplift
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's fucked.

View Quote

Why just males?

Sexism...That's why...

Women can serve in combat roles now...even our military says they are just as capable as men when it comes to combat...surely they can stop a shop lifter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not if he was in fact shoplifting and found out the hard way that the rumor that Wal-Mart will not go after shoplifters is  a fairy tale.

If Security videos show the employees used reasonable force, WM might give them a courtesy payout and a good deal on an open box (sorry) casket.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One of the local stores had a lady in custody and she pissed herself in the office and took off running.
View Quote

Had a lady do that and claim her water broke.  Office smelled for a week.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I reasonable world would see that Wal Mart was not responsible for years of that guy making his heart shitty.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I reasonable world would see that Wal Mart was not responsible for years of that guy making his heart shitty.
View Quote

Yea guess his estate will have to sue McDonald's for that one lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Society,I dont get it.  They think losing 4 billion dollars a year is no big deal.  Personally I wouldnt care if a million criminals a day died. I guess that makes me a bad guy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Waiting for someone to claim that the police somehow killed him...it's coming, I'm sure...  

Wal-Mart can and does detain shoplifters.  Their loss prevention officers are kickass, and they know what they're doing.  Corporate is willing to prosecute if they catch someone stealing anything.  Pair of socks?  Charges filed.  Pack of trading cards?  Yup, prosecute.  Loaf of bread?  You guessed it...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I know it's early, but I expected more from this thread.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Waiting for someone to claim that the police somehow killed him...it's coming, I'm sure...  

Wal-Mart can and does detain shoplifters.  Their loss prevention officers are kickass, and they know what they're doing.  Corporate is willing to prosecute if they catch someone stealing anything.  Pair of socks?  Charges filed.  Pack of trading cards?  Yup, prosecute.  Loaf of bread?  You guessed it...
View Quote

Not around here. The Walmart has a pretty high threshold where they won't prosecute even if caught. Just a trespassing charge if stcky fingers returns in a specific time frame. A local Walmart has the highest theft rate of ALL Walmarts...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would love to watch a shoot out between a perp and a loss prevention officer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ayup..their Argument is going to be that it's against Policy to pursue or use any physical force against shoplifters and try to put it all on the employees...but Walton has the deeper pockets so.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good

View Quote

This.

And zero fucks given.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ayup..their Argument is going to be that it's against Policy to pursue or use any physical force against shoplifters and try to put it all on the employees...but Walton has the deeper pockets so.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of that depends on whether the upstanding Mr. Wisham had living relatives or not.

If there is no "they," then there is no "their argument."
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's fucked.

View Quote

Thats a really good way to get shot.   Between that and liability,  I would let the cops handle it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be pretty one sided. I doubt LP is armed with anything.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Shoplifting shouldn't carry a death sentence. LP state, the militarization of Loss Prevention, LP Dredd.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

No they don't, assuming they actually had good evidence that he shoplifted (which they did, if they followed Walmart policies).

That doesn't mean they won't get sued, but "getting sued" and "being liable" are not the same.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walmart, unless things have changed, defends the SHIT out of liability cases like this one (along with slip and falls, truck accidents, etc.).

This guy's family won't get paid more than a pittance without a fight.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#45]
FPNI

Sorry, Boys and Girls, but my care-o-meter is broken today.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#46]
oh well. wish more shoplifting stories had a happy ending like this one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not likely that Walmart will settle out of court. They have a reputation for not doing so for almost any reason.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I know they do apprehensions now, but I thought they got away from doing them for at least a little while.

I would bet the employees involved will be tossed under the bus but the company will settle it quietly and expensively.

Most FSA types actually have a dollar amount where Junior suddenly becomes worth the loss.
View Quote

No, Walmart doesn't roll that way.

It's something to keep in mind if you're considering shopping at a Walmart.

You're not going to get a quick settlement out of Walmart if you're injured or abused at one of thier stores.

Count on having to bring suit against them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

All of that depends on whether the upstanding Mr. Wisham had living relatives or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Their Argument" was meant to be "Wal-Mart" not the dead Shoplifter.... It all comes down to Policy and whether or not the LP dudes violated it.  AFAIK Wally World (Officially at least) Forbids its LP personnel to use any kind of physical force.  It was DEFINITELY the case at the one where I worked as a PO, they had a hands off policy....any fighting, or force and the backed off and let the shittum go.  As opposed to our local K-Mart who used to tackle people in the parking lot and get sued all the time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
It's not likely that Walmart will settle out of court. They have a reputation for not doing so for almost any reason.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For good reason. I'm sure it cuts down on the BS lawsuits by those just trolling for some quick money. I worked for a hospital that did the same thing. Unless the internal investigation uncovered some gross negligence the plaintiff was going to have to earn their money.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top