Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If I file down the spark plugs in a manual transmission car, it will go full automatic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From the wiki page for the engine in my FJ Cruiser.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Claiming higher octane fuels enhance stock performance.

From the wiki page for the engine in my FJ Cruiser.  

An updated version of this engine features Dual VVT-i, increasing output to 270 hp (201 kW) and 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) on 87 octane and 285 hp (213 kW) and 289 lb·ft (392 N·m) on 91 octane.

Please refer to the many, many times this horse has been beaten. Engine was designed with 91 in mind. The car doesn't magically know what fuel you put in. If it was designed to use 87 octane at best, putting a higher octane WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOUR MILEAGE OR PERFORMANCE.

The CTS guy should post his stock octane tables so you all understand this.

ETA: Try this analogy:

Putting 103 in your FJ is to putting 91 in your four cylinder Camry.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You couldn't reach up and take a $100 off the dash at WOT

Did wheelies over a 16oz beer can on the street

Factory freak, "special ordered" with a cop car motor, etc...

Yeah that new, Camaro, GTO, Mustang, Corvette etc... Is nice but it don't run like my 196x did
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not really in the vein of this thread but I do remember an old truck came into the shop with bad u joints.

Some brainiac had told the owner he needed more tyranny fluid so he topped off the master cylinder with ATF.

View Quote
Had a guy pour brake fluid into his transmission. Possible relative?

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are you implying that nitrogen violates laws of physics when its inside a tire?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is more about having stable and predictable tire pressure over a variety of temperatures.  Apparently pure nitrogen exhibits less pressure change with temperature swings compared to standard air (Ideal gas law be damned. We live in a real world).

I thought that nitrogen as bottled for tire inflation was bottled really low in moisture which helps with tire pressure variation due to temperature changes.  I also read somewhere if you would dry and bottle the free 78% nitrogen mix that the 78% nitrogen mix would also perform well.  Unless the source of the 78% was downwind from a chicken farm which would introduce organic gasses into the mix.  The organic gasses effect on Michelin race tires was the root cause of the 2005 Indy F1 race fiasco.  FIA and Michelin were too embarrassed to admit the problem and instead blamed turn 13.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I file down the spark plugs in a manual transmission car, it will go full automatic.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This worked on old cars back in the day,try again
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Remove the battery cable to test the Alternator"

This worked on old cars back in the day,try again

RIF  "Alternator"

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A guy I worked with told me that I really needed to turn down the new rotors I bought before I installed them.

I just smiled and nodded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The dumbest thing I have ever heard was from someone I was doing Brake work for. I replaced the calipers, rotors, and pads for him. Told him i needed to bleed the breaks. His response was "that's when you floor it in reverse and slam on the breaks right?". My response was "if you want to drive straight through your house yeah."

A guy I worked with told me that I really needed to turn down the new rotors I bought before I installed them.

I just smiled and nodded.

That used to be the case years ago.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Them - "Sweet 68 Mustang"

Me - " It's a 65"

Them - " Oh yea I used to have one, it was a Shelby fastest in town, lift the front wheels blah blah"

No you fucking didn't retard
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread is a great example of its premise.

How about "Autozone diagnosed it, how much to put in an XYZ?"

Or " $95!!!!!! Just for hooking up your computer and having it tell you whats wrong?!?!"

Or "When I was a mechanic, I used to R&R transmissions by myself, on my back, in the snow, up hill both ways, and in 1/4 book time"

Or "Its probably just the fuel filter" or maybe vapor lock.

Or the old $100 bill pinned to the dash story.

Or anyone who says anything regarding "HHO". One milliion miles per gallon!

Car guys and gun guys in general are retards, and I are one.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Actually that was kinda how drum brake self adjusters worked sorta
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The dumbest thing I have ever heard was from someone I was doing Brake work for. I replaced the calipers, rotors, and pads for him. Told him i needed to bleed the breaks. His response was "that's when you floor it in reverse and slam on the breaks right?". My response was "if you want to drive straight through your house yeah."

Actually that was kinda how drum brake self adjusters worked sorta
Reminds me of a funny story.  I worked in a service station in high school in the late 60s.  Stopped into the station to shoot the bull on a Saturday afternoon.  This idiot the worked there too had his old beater up on the hoist.  "Hey Bubbles - what is Ronnie doing?"  "Replacing his brake lines."  A bit later ol' Ronnie dropped the hoist, jumped in, did a burnout in reverse from the bay, hit the brakes and no retardation except behind the wheel.  The genius replaced his brake lines with rubber fuel line hose that he swiped from the bulk reel.  He went backwards trailing brake fluid right straight across the street into the service station lot wayyyy over there before he got the e-brake on.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So your plan is to increase front tire traction by unloading them?  Have fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone here once mentioned that you correct understeer in a rwd car by increasing the throttle.  Good luck with your agricultural experiences in 2016.

You do.  Transfers weight form the front wheels to rear.  You never steered with the throttle?

It works on RWD on a dirt track. You give it a quick burp to break the rear tires loose letting the rear end come around while you steer in the opposite direction while working the throttle until you make the turn.

Works on pavement if you have the power.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#13]
RPM's

It's Revolutions per minute= RPM

Anybody that makes a blanket statement that all American cars are shoddily designed or built.

Douchebags who write out the hash marks ///M when talking about vehicles made by BMW Motorsport GmbH.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
More spark advance is always more power.

No.

View Quote

Depends on RPM.
We would run about 24 degrees advanced on 2.3 Pinto engines. That was initial setting with the vacuum advanced wired in place.
That was good to about 7500 RPM and running Avgas.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You do.  Transfers weight form the front wheels to rear.  You never steered with the throttle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone here once mentioned that you correct understeer in a rwd car by increasing the throttle.  Good luck with your agricultural experiences in 2016.

No, you chop the throttle and tap the brakes, weight transfer to the front loosens the rear wheels, then you countersteer to aim your car when the back end comes around to pivot your car back on the line. Drive on. Of course, that approach is more successful in a '67 Valiant or '73 Hornet rocking bias ply tires. Damn showoff with your cars that have enough power to smoke the tires and rotate the ass end that way. Not everyone can afford a Maverick or Javelin. Goosing the throttle on an old Fox body Mustang was also a big mistake for most drivers.

In most cases, for most drivers, in most cars, backing off the gas is the better anti crash option.

Oh and my favorite? Ram tough.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Against my better judgement I went to autozone.
Me: I need a clutch for a 95 wrangler
Counter dude: 4 or 6 cylinder?
Me: 6
Counter dude: standard or auto?
Me:...................turned around and walked out.
True story. I drove 20 minutes away to another parts store. I haven't returned to autozone since then, that was several years ago.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
That PhD's design turn signals.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I buy 100LL at the airport.   .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about the guys who swear they by AV gas at the airport
I buy 100LL at the airport.   .

Yeah, a C-172's Lycoming don't want none (of that 87) unless you got STCs hon.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Stopping Power.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I think my converter is plugged.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

for instance
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't seen ethanol free gasoline in years.

As far as octane differences go, I assure you that my OBDI vehicle cannot tell the difference.  Custom tunes are, well custom.

for instance

I can tell you unequivocally that none of the listings for anything other than 91 octane in Helena Montana are true anymore.  Can you still get regular or mid grade without ethanol anywhere in the country?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It works on RWD on a dirt track. You give it a quick burp to break the rear tires loose letting the rear end come around while you steer in the opposite direction while working the throttle until you make the turn.

Works on pavement if you have the power
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works on pavement if you have the power

This. If you can't correct understeer on pavement with a burp of the throttle, you shouldn't be driving that gutless piece of shit on the road. Get something with some real power . I could steer with the throttle all day long it my old S-10. It had a 2.2L V-4 with the vortec package, made from real tornados. Plus it had a K and N filter for an extra 10%
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Also had a guy tell me he was getting 20 mpg with his GMC 2500 HD........with a 6.0L gas . I have one, I think he was off by about 19 mpg.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pull the code. Bet it's for knock (pre-detonation). The magnum was designed for mid-grade or better. It's unlikely that Chrysler engineers designed multiple tables for various octane grades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the octane debate, I don't really know much about power but when someone borrows my 00 Durango R/T and puts 87 in it throws a code.  Every time

Pull the code. Bet it's for knock (pre-detonation). The magnum was designed for mid-grade or better. It's unlikely that Chrysler engineers designed multiple tables for various octane grades.

O2 sensor half volt high or something along those lines. It's been a while since it happened
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's a torque converter. What those people usually mean is a torque converter with an increased stall speed, but calling it a stall converter is like calling magazines clips.

EDIT: I take back the magazine/clip analogy since there actually is something called a clip. It would be like calling a magazine a bullet holder box or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"stall converter"

What's wrong with that?

It's a torque converter. What those people usually mean is a torque converter with an increased stall speed, but calling it a stall converter is like calling magazines clips.

EDIT: I take back the magazine/clip analogy since there actually is something called a clip. It would be like calling a magazine a bullet holder box or something.

We had stall converters when you were still shitting your pants, kiddo.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What can I say, I like using the proper term for things. If other people want to use imprecise language to describe specific things then that's their choice to make, but I can't help but think those people generally don't know much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno. I guess I've heard it enough times to feel that when someone refers to a "stall converter" they are just implying that it is looser than a stock one.  I don't always specify stall rpm when discussing mods done to my truck. Slang.

You can make the same argument regarding the use of "clip," but I know most here would argue that makes you look like someone who doesn't really know much about guns.

I have a "3000 stall torque converter". If I simply refer to it as a "stall converter" I'm being lazy and leaving two descriptive items out of a statement. That's the same as someone calling something it's not ?  Lol

What can I say, I like using the proper term for things. If other people want to use imprecise language to describe specific things then that's their choice to make, but I can't help but think those people generally don't know much.

Right, terminology never changes. I'm sure I'm not the only fucker around here that has forgot more about building horsepower than you've learned.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#27]
When a car is described as a frame off restoration.....and it is a unibody Mopar.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The term "posi". It's a fucking lsd.
View Quote

GM used the term Posi, Mopar used the term Sure grip and Ford used the term Trac Loc

So calling a GM lsd a Posi is correct

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Claiming higher octane fuels enhance stock performance.
View Quote

It does in my mustang. The car will pull timing and dyno 10-15hp less on 87 octane vs 92...completely stock.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Cummings diesel

440 Hemi

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:39:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is more about having stable and predictable tire pressure over a variety of temperatures.  Apparently pure nitrogen exhibits less pressure change with temperature swings compared to standard air (Ideal gas law be damned. We live in a real world).

He's just studied chemistry beyond the first semester.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:39:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll keep my true story of the time I was drifting my Bentley so I could get a good shot at a feral boar with my Deagle while getting a blow job from my supermodel girlfriend to myself then.  My shot was right on target.  Unfortunately I missed the boar entirely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
D-bags everywhere ! As soon as hear any guy talking about his driving, shooting or fucking abilities I stop paying attention.

I'll keep my true story of the time I was drifting my Bentley so I could get a good shot at a feral boar with my Deagle while getting a blow job from my supermodel girlfriend to myself then.  My shot was right on target.  Unfortunately I missed the boar entirely.

Shit, that was YOU? I know I passed something fancy going the other way while I was powersliding with one hand and sipping a martini with the other in my Ford GT. Good thing you aimed high.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:41:17 AM EDT
[#33]
"Wow!... You read the brochure!"
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:49:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey I found something that GD is less knowledgeable about than firearms!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

GM used the term Posi, Mopar used the term Sure grip and Ford used the term Trac Loc

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The term "posi". It's a fucking lsd.

I'm not sure where the belief that a posi is by default a full locker. I blame the old school guys that still call tires 50s and 60s or whatever.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
3/4 cam.

WTF is that?
View Quote

Kids today.  Hot rodding didn't start with CRXs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Two birds with one stone right here.

The "Cummings" dorks are annoying.

The 'tards that swear their pickup trucks are returning mileage comparable to compact cars are far more infuriating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"My Cummings diesel gets 30 mpg all day"

Two birds with one stone right here.

The "Cummings" dorks are annoying.

The 'tards that swear their pickup trucks are returning mileage comparable to compact cars are far more infuriating.

There's something to it.  I paid a Chief I worked with several years ago drive to Sparks, NV from Ridgecrest, CA in his modified Dodge Cummins Dually.  On the way back, towing my '68 Camaro on a steel 18' car trailer, we averaged 28 mpg.  I know this for a fact, as I paid for gas.  It was a serious eye-opener.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Some good ones guys. Heard many of them before.

some Ive heard...

Its a 350 SHORT BLOCK...

"4 bolt mains make more power! feel it climbing that hill?" was riding in a guys Chevelle

"Bo, its over when the passing gear kicks in!"

My buddy with a Vega build a 350 that is so bad ass that "NO FORD CAN BEAT HIM"

"I'm going to Chrome dip my honeycomb rims"

guy driving an early 80s stock Monte Carlo "NOTHING can take me on top end"
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
"I called triple A to change my tire"

who the fuck doesn't know how to

change a tire/wiper blade/battery/oil/spark plugs/brakes...

View Quote

95% of teenaged boys I know.  Which is OK, because most don't have driver's licenses.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I see you have been to my shop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do I start. Most of these I learned in the muscle car world and idiots on Craigslist.

Every small block Chevy was born in a Corvette.

Every small block Chevy with the casting number 3970010 is a high nickel block because of the "010" in the casting number.

Nothing is better than double hump heads.

Quadrajets are junk. Says everyone who can't tune one or hasn't had one tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

"I got a 750 double pumper." Carb on a 305 with dual feed inlet, not dual accelerator pumps.

"This car is all original." I'm sure they offered Flowmasters, cd players, and Radial T/As on Cragers in 1969. Not to mention everything being chromed under the hood.

Every 69 Camaro is a Z/28.

"I saw one like this on Barret Jackson sell for $150,000."  Comparing their rusted out Coronet to a finely restored 6 pack Superbee.

I could go on and on and on....

I've never seen a 427 for sale that wasn't advertised as a Corvette motor.  Ever.  (not counting TD blocks)
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#42]
K&N is usually a red flag for me. Guy I work with bought a C7 Z06 and made a big deal about locating one for it. Wanted some other bolt on doo-dads for it as well. I'm sure those guys in Bowling Green will be lamenting "if only we'd have had a JC Whitney catalog!"

Also, "Six Pack Hemi" (Aussie references excluded)
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

??????

I have done it for years.  Pick a tail number, pay with credit card, never a question about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about the guys who swear they by AV gas at the airport

??????

I have done it for years.  Pick a tail number, pay with credit card, never a question about it.

Or put in 5 zero's
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Them - "Sweet 68 Mustang"

Me - " It's a 65"

Them - " Oh yea I used to have one, it was a Shelby fastest in town, lift the front wheels blah blah"

No you fucking didn't retard
View Quote

In the Navy it was always "Back home I've got a..." or "Me and my Dad built a..." and when challenged for pics, ALWAYS ends up with either "My brother/sister wrapped it around a telephone pole when I was in boot camp" or "A drunk guy hit the car and totaled it."  Never fails.

I used to love feeding their fantasies.  They have no idea about cars, just going off of what they heard some other gearhead say.  I once had a guy--with a little prompting due to pointed questions--tell me all about his 1962 4-door Mustang with the Special Edition Yenko Straight 8 motor--only available special order from Ford back then.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You couldn't reach up and take a $100 off the dash at WOT

Did wheelies over a 16oz beer can on the street

Factory freak, "special ordered" with a cop car motor, etc...

Yeah that new, Camaro, GTO, Mustang, Corvette etc... Is nice but it don't run like my 196x did

View Quote

OMG Ive heard those two many many times.

I think the claim of being able to pull the front tires could be the most common lie told in the Hot Rod community.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've never seen a 427 for sale that wasn't advertised as a Corvette motor.  Ever.  (not counting TD blocks)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do I start. Most of these I learned in the muscle car world and idiots on Craigslist.

Every small block Chevy was born in a Corvette.

Every small block Chevy with the casting number 3970010 is a high nickel block because of the "010" in the casting number.

Nothing is better than double hump heads.

Quadrajets are junk. Says everyone who can't tune one or hasn't had one tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

"I got a 750 double pumper." Carb on a 305 with dual feed inlet, not dual accelerator pumps.

"This car is all original." I'm sure they offered Flowmasters, cd players, and Radial T/As on Cragers in 1969. Not to mention everything being chromed under the hood.

Every 69 Camaro is a Z/28.

"I saw one like this on Barret Jackson sell for $150,000."  Comparing their rusted out Coronet to a finely restored 6 pack Superbee.

I could go on and on and on....

I almost added that every 67 Corvette is a factory 427 car. I figured I added enough items for people to work off of.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Anyone that calls brakes, "breaks."
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Chevy dealer:

Well, that is what the car salesman told me while I was waiting for service on my wife's car. I was "explained to" that it makes electricity while driving. This might work on a rich hipster, but unless magic pixies keep filling your 9.3 gallon gas tank you are not going to make it more than 379 miles. It was everything I could do not to start laughing at him.

With what I drive now; for his 41K of "you are paying for the technology" car, I can not only pay for my car but drive the next ($13,600 car at 41 mpg with gas at $3.35) I can drive for 335,343 miles. It must feel good to be one of the three people that bought one of these "cars of the future".
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hey I found something that GD is less knowledgeable about than firearms!
View Quote

Stick around, this is nothing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When people with an inline-4 say, "It's got a V4..."
View Quote

maybe they have a saab sonnet?

speed
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top