Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tell me about it. I just don't see how ppl believe some of the stories in the bible. Guy survives days in a whale. Guys survive being thrown in fire. Guy walks on water. Guys walk THROUGH a sea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
She can pray to God when she's being gangraped and/or killed and then see what happens

I stopped having imaginary friends in 3rd grade.

Same here.  Watching adults talk to themselves while hoping some fairy tale being is going to help them is

Tell me about it. I just don't see how ppl believe some of the stories in the bible. Guy survives days in a whale. Guys survive being thrown in fire. Guy walks on water. Guys walk THROUGH a sea.

Would you believe me if I told you that a man jumped on not one, but two grenades and survived, then jumped out of an airplane from 3,500 feet with no parachute, hit the ground, and walk away uninjured?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why are so many atheists obsessed with Christians and their beliefs?
View Quote

Because many of them in this thread have a need to somehow feel superior (Little man syndrome)

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, for starters (and this is already giving your nonsense more attention than it deserves) you can objectively determine whether your brakes or steering is working.  You can't do that with God's acts, because we may not be able to fathom whether He has intervened or not.  If you pray that God will solve your money problems by letting you win the lottery, the fact that you don't win doesn't mean that God didn't hear your prayer or that God won't act in His own way to help you.  

I'm sure your response is something like "Well, if you can't tell whether God has intervened, how do you know whether He exists" or some such palaver, but I guess that's where faith comes in.  Believe what you want, it's of no consequence to me.
View Quote

If the existance of a god looks exactly like nonexistance, then what do you need a god for?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That really isn't it. I think every religion is equally stupid. The real question is, does truth matter to you? If it does, then you seek it, and attempt to help the deluded when you can. If you came to me with a fervent belief in the Easter Bunny, I would do my best to help you.  It isn't because I hate you or the Easter Bunny or chocolate, it is because I think delusions should be made to dissipate when possible. Truth leads to understanding and peace and mental health. Delusion gets us jihad and the Children's Crusade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That really isn't it. I think every religion is equally stupid. The real question is, does truth matter to you? If it does, then you seek it, and attempt to help the deluded when you can. If you came to me with a fervent belief in the Easter Bunny, I would do my best to help you.  It isn't because I hate you or the Easter Bunny or chocolate, it is because I think delusions should be made to dissipate when possible. Truth leads to understanding and peace and mental health. Delusion gets us jihad and the Children's Crusade.

So many angry atheists are on their own crusades, vehemently refusing to relent or admit why they're so angry.

A friend of mine lost faith and converted to atheism.  It became all he could talk about; it dominated his social media pages and conversations he had FTF.

Like I said, practice a little live and let live.  Christians aren't hurting you with their beliefs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

telegraph
That may not be suffice for you, but that is what my quick google search brought up. There have been multiple attempts to find the evidence and break the evidence and not find evidence at all on some occasions, and plenty of theories as well.

There's also evidence that the crossing of the sea of reeds or Red Sea is possible in its own. Just because it can be understood through science now in a re manufactured attempt doesn't take anything away from God's ability to provide the needed circumstances for it to happen at the right time . Some people, myself included have witnessed things that cement their faith to where it is, others have not or have just turned a blind eye to "chance" that it happened. We all want evidence and there's not always a cookie cutter model that will give it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was actually an article from 2010 that stated evidence for the plagues to have occurred in Egypt. Scientists didn't claim them as "Gid's wrath", but they did find it nonetheless. There are findings recently that show King David was real, and show a lot of evidence towards the OT writings.

The truth will be known in time by all. Free will exists for us to make the choice to believe or not believe.

Let me guess, an article in some religious publication?

There very well may have been a historical King David.
For that matter, historians think there was some real person who served as the basis for King Arthur
That doesn't mean there were actually Knights of the Round Table, merlin and the rest of the legend as real people, or that the Biblical David and his exploits.were anything approaching reality

telegraph
That may not be suffice for you, but that is what my quick google search brought up. There have been multiple attempts to find the evidence and break the evidence and not find evidence at all on some occasions, and plenty of theories as well.

There's also evidence that the crossing of the sea of reeds or Red Sea is possible in its own. Just because it can be understood through science now in a re manufactured attempt doesn't take anything away from God's ability to provide the needed circumstances for it to happen at the right time . Some people, myself included have witnessed things that cement their faith to where it is, others have not or have just turned a blind eye to "chance" that it happened. We all want evidence and there's not always a cookie cutter model that will give it.

You're back to relying on faith
Which is fine for the True Believers
Just don't try to claim that the historical record backs up matters of faith.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So many angry atheists are on their own crusades, vehemently refusing to relent or admit why they're so angry.

A friend of mine lost faith and converted to atheism.  It became all he could talk about; it dominated his social media pages and conversations he had FTF.

Like I said, practice a little live and let live.  Christians aren't hurting you with their beliefs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then there's no point to you being here.

There also cannot be any kind of objective morality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah we came out of nothing and became self aware just to realize we are going back to nothing, what's the point of it all?? Think about that. That's as much of a fantasy as you claim religion is.

All available evidence points to that being true, that's not fantasy.

I never claimed there was any point to my being here.  But the fact is that there IS a point, that being to procreate, protect my offspring, and teach them to the best of my ability to be successful in the endeavor of procreating themselves.  

The "objective morality" you speak of never did exist. The morals of Christians are vastly different from those of the early church and their predecessors the Hebrews.  It has always been, and will always be, nothing more than the prevalent pressures of conformity to the society in which you live.  Were you raised in Iran by Muslims your "objective morality" would be quite different than it is now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just had a convo with a woman stating that she doesn't fear for her life because she believes in god and that he will protect her from evil. I just kind of had this like you fucking serious look on my face. Do people really believe and buy in to this kind of stuff?
View Quote

Maybe she's fine without you telling her she's in danger because you say so.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Turning the other cheek is fine and dandy, but if we have a means of protection than we are free to use it in a justifiable way. It speaks thou shalt not murder, not thou shalt not kill which is 2 entirely different things. Even in the time for everything chapter in Ecclesiastes it speaks of a time to kill and a time to heal. Exodus speaks of protecting your home as well.

Jesus spoke of turning the other cheek, but we are not called to be 100% pacifist in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a Christian and believe God will protect me by giving me tools and skills ( and some divine intervention) to do so. That woman is an idiot. Plenty of bad things happen to Godly people

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "I'm a Christian, and God will protect me because I have a gun and will shoot the person about to rob me".

I'm no biblical scholar, but I've yet to find the part in the Old or New Testament where God or Jesus extolls their followers to threaten or kill people for personal preservation.

Turning the other cheek is fine and dandy, but if we have a means of protection than we are free to use it in a justifiable way. It speaks thou shalt not murder, not thou shalt not kill which is 2 entirely different things. Even in the time for everything chapter in Ecclesiastes it speaks of a time to kill and a time to heal. Exodus speaks of protecting your home as well.

Jesus spoke of turning the other cheek, but we are not called to be 100% pacifist in my opinion.

Well, we differ.  I fully believe that God found killing necessary.  Say, when he delivers tribe X into the hands of the Hebrews to be destroyed.  God didn't kill every man, woman and child with lightning bolts, Hebrews did it with slings and spears and sickle swords.  But, the Hebrews didn't wipe out tribe X for shits and grins...God demanded it directly.  The killing was done for God, and in accordance with God's law.  Even executions are okay...in accordnace with God's law.

The difference here is that when you say "I have a gun and can kill someone in defense of self/home/lawnmower/etc", you are in effect pre-empting God's judgement and law.   God's law doesn't say "you can take the life of someone who threatens you with a stick".  Unless you are a prophet of God, you have no authority to act on God's behalf (i.e., the old joke about the Marine punching the professor..."God was busy, so he sent me").

In the New Testament, Jesus preaches pacifism when it comes to personal protection.  God will reward the meek, and punish those who "live by the sword".  NOWHERE does Jesus preach the application of violence for personal preservation.  The only acceptable use of violence I could find is that Jesus does say to render unto Ceasar.  So, our government requires men to register for the draft in order to defend the nation in time of crisis.  IMO, your use of force is sanctioned by God if the government drafts you (because you are rendering unto Ceasar your service as required).  Volunteers are not sanctioned (your service was not required).  Same would work at the state/community level.  If the government calls forth the militia (of which you are a designated member) to use force in defense of the community, you are sanctioned.  If you voluntarily shoot a robber, you are not (you preempted Ceasar).    

I suppose you could consider that the government has permanently called forth the militia in order to kill would-be criminals by passage of self-defense laws, but my opinion would be to disagree...as self defense laws seem to be written around a persona under their own direction acting in defense of the person rather than defense of the community, while the law regarding militia seems to be written toward defense of the community under direction of the government.  So, IMO self defense law seems to violate a tenant of Christianity.

Now, I don't have a problem with self defense at all...I subscribe to it myself.  I just can't find a way to reconcile it with either the Old or New Testament, so I don't pretend I'm somehow justified under Christian teaching.  Forgiveable, yes.  Justified, no.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was actually an article from 2010 that stated evidence for the plagues to have occurred in Egypt. Scientists didn't claim them as "Gid's wrath", but they did find it nonetheless. There are findings recently that show King David was real, and show a lot of evidence towards the OT writings.

The truth will be known in time by all. Free will exists for us to make the choice to believe or not believe.

Let me guess, an article in some religious publication?

There very well may have been a historical King David.
For that matter, historians think there was some real person who served as the basis for King Arthur
That doesn't mean there were actually Knights of the Round Table, merlin and the rest of the legend as real people, or that the Biblical David and his exploits.were anything approaching reality

telegraph

It certainly isn't apparent in all people all of the time.
Neither is some forms of illnesses.
Yet I have seen man healed and even believe in some cases to be genuinely divinely inspired.
Some immediate and then some not so much.
I have also seen a few members of the medical community at a loss.
It was ok with me.
I believe that there has been definite help through prayer and supplication for some even here in GD.
Maybe a few may post latter.

The God of Abraham never sleeps or rests as a man will do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Call on god, but row away from the rocks
View Quote
Pretty much. I try to gently explain this to the rest of my family.

My older brother took the concealed handgun license class with me and never sent in his paperwork. His wife WANTS him to get it, but he never has (this has been going on for years). I might take her to the range sometime so that she can give him a bigger push.

BIL and little sister are a little... dorky... but she has four kids and insists that she'd destroy whoever tried to harm them. But not protect herself (she's a "shoot them in the leg" type) and she still doesn't have a gun. I've taken her to the range though.

Big sister has gone to the range with me but won't carry a gun because she "doesn't want to be responsible for someone going to hell" Conversely, after seeing her get angry at people a few times, I'm not sure I'd want her carrying anyway...

Mom and stepdad are probably the most "enlightened" as far as shooting but they don't carry yet (both have their pistols and ARs though).

It's bad when I feel like the normal one of the family

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah we came out of nothing and became self aware just to realize we are going back to nothing, what's the point of it all?? Think about that. That's as much of a fantasy as you claim religion is.

It terrifies some people though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no point to any of us being here, we are here, but it isn't by design.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Lord helps those who help themselves.

View Quote

Yep. Does this woman or her family work?  Why not just lay around all day and rely on God to give you what you want?  It doesn't work that way. God helps those who help themselves. I am a firm believer in God but I am also going to use the tools I've been blessed with to send those who would hurt my family to meet God sooner than they hoped should the need arise.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
.  Christians aren't hurting you with their beliefs.
View Quote

Are you delusional or a complete outright lying ass? Because it ain't Zorastrians telling ignorant Africans that god doesn't want them to put a rubber on their cocks. It ain't Odin worshippers keeping me from getting a beer when I get off work at 0100. It wasn't Belgian neopagans who kicked off that bit of unpleasantness between the Tutsi and Hutu. It wasn't Isis devotees stirring shit in El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua in the 70s and 80s. Don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining, boy. Oh, and the WOD is a christian invention, just like the idiocy of alcohol prohibition, both policies that harmed millions, and continue to do so.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're not, but St. Thomas Aquinas is.

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3064.htm#article7
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a Christian and believe God will protect me by giving me tools and skills ( and some divine intervention) to do so. That woman is an idiot. Plenty of bad things happen to Godly people

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "I'm a Christian, and God will protect me because I have a gun and will shoot the person about to rob me".

I'm no biblical scholar, but I've yet to find the part in the Old or New Testament where God or Jesus extolls their followers to threaten or kill people for personal preservation.

You're not, but St. Thomas Aquinas is.

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3064.htm#article7

The only passage quoted absolves one of blood if one wounds a thief and the thief happens to die.
It is written (Exodus 22:2): "If a thief be found breaking into a house or undermining it, and be wounded so as to die; he that slew him shall not be guilty of blood."

So, you may wound a person without the intent of killing them, and if they happen to die, you are absolved.  It specifically says "wounded".  If the absolution was to cover killing outright, it would have said "and be slain" rather than "and be wounded".  

The rest of his summary is all just his personal opinion.  Just like when he says
Now it is much more lawful to defend one's life than one's house. Therefore neither is a man guilty of murder if he kill another in defense of his own life.
.  St Thomas just inferred that.  There was no verse to back up the premise that a man's life is more valuable than his home.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bingo

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

Some people are like that, probably about the same percentage as the crazy bible thumpers really.

Most though just like a good discussion, and it's been seen in the evolution threads. They get grumpy about it when you present facts, actual observable facts, and then the opposing side continues to argue a losing battle.

In reality, most people that don't believe don't really care about what another person believes, they don't stay up at night thinking about it, or go into public and start arguments about it.

I think you can agree that most people in these threads will argue relatively politely, and very few ever come of as bitter, or angry people.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ETA:  Unlike you, I'm fine with what others believe or don't believe.  Do what you want, it effects me about as much as what I believe effects you.
View Quote

Well then, party on. I will note that you are failing under Peter 3:15. And  it is affect, not effect.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Are you delusional or a complete outright lying ass? Because it ain't Zorastrians telling ignorant Africans that god doesn't want them to put a rubber on their cocks. It ain't Odin worshippers keeping me from getting a beer when I get off work at 0100. It wasn't Belgian neopagans who kicked off that bit of unpleasantness between the Tutsi and Hutu. It wasn't Isis devotees stirring shit in El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua in the 79s and 80s. Don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining, boy. Oh, and the WOD is a christian invention, just like the idiocy of alcohol prohibition, both policies that harmed millions, and continue to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you delusional or a complete outright lying ass? Because it ain't Zorastrians telling ignorant Africans that god doesn't want them to put a rubber on their cocks. It ain't Odin worshippers keeping me from getting a beer when I get off work at 0100. It wasn't Belgian neopagans who kicked off that bit of unpleasantness between the Tutsi and Hutu. It wasn't Isis devotees stirring shit in El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua in the 79s and 80s. Don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining, boy. Oh, and the WOD is a christian invention, just like the idiocy of alcohol prohibition, both policies that harmed millions, and continue to do so.

I stand corrected sir….you've truly live in trying times and daily tragedy purported by Christians.

Maybe buy a 6 pack and keep in your fridge to satiate your early morning alcohol needs.  That'll show those Christians who's boss.

eta: spelling
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I won't deny that I rely on faith in my life. I had faith before I was laying on a hospital bed with my heart stopped and had still had my faith when my heart started back beating without use of a defibrillator. at the same time I can find evidence to cement my faith by things I read outside of the Bible, and by things that I witness with my own eyes in my life. Not everyone will see it or walk blindly in faith, and I can no more cause you to find faith than you can cause me to lose mine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And thus what the Bible calls the typical man, or man who has been captured by the typical way of thinking.
Thus, the sting of death applies, and the possibility or potentiality of eternal life does not exist.
If this man claims, by faith, that God does not exist, then he will receive the portion of existence that he has asked for.
This is the Biblical judgment and is equitable and just for the receiver.
This is the judgment and the eternal one also.
Yet, the Bible clearly states that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
Jesus Christ is that Name, the potential Savior for the all of mankind.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I stand corrected sir….you've truly live in trying times and daily tragedy purported by Christians.

Maybe buy a 6 pack and keep in your fridge to satiate your early morning alcohol needs.  That'll show those Christians who's boss.
View Quote

I had no idea christians were capable of any type of honesty. Well done. I stand shocked.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And thus what the Bible calls the typical man, or man who has been captured by the typical way of thinking.
Thus, the sting of death applies,and the possibility or potentiality of eternal live does not exist.
If this man claims, by faith, that God does not exist, then he will receive the portion of existence that he has asked for.
Yet, the Bible clearly states that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thus, the sting of death applies,and the possibility or potentiality of eternal live does not exist.

Off your meds?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I had no idea christians were capable of any type of honesty. Well done. I stand shocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's ironically appropriate that your username is a class of parasite.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#27]
my house is protected by the good Lord and a gun, and you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I would tend to believe he is a leftist

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
my house is protected by the good Lord and a gun, and you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome
View Quote

That would make a great sign

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whatever, pusher.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Whatever, pusher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever, pusher.

Well he is correct

And the description certainly does fit

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It made a great song lyric.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Save me? I hope so.

Protect me? Just a bonus if it happens.

So far, He has been phenomenally good to me, for which I am grateful.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect it's more complicated than just being a leftist.

Somewhere in the DSM-5 there's a couple pages that could lend some insight to our parasitic friend.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's like that joke about the man in the flood. GOD would save him he said. After 4 different people come along with a car, raft, big boat and chopper that he turns away he drowns. Gets to Heaven and asks GOD why he didn't save him. GOD tells him I sent you a car, raft, big boat and chopper what more did you want.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Off your meds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thus, the sting of death applies, and the possibility or potentiality of eternal life does not exist.

Off your meds?

Like I said, some do not count certain forms of persecution and belittlement as some others might do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Reminds of that idiot woman in Red Dead Redemption.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Somewhere in the DSM-5 there's a couple pages that could lend some insight to our parasitic friend.
View Quote

Really? I anchor my life in reason and logic. You base your's on fantasy. There's plenty said about that sort of thing in DSM-V, and it says you are the crazy one there, Axis II boy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, his obsession with believers is quite abnormal

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You fucking people need to get over yourselves.  

Just because somebody likes or believes something you don't, doesn't make the a "leftist", "commie", etc.

I swear there are just as many low information / ignorant voters on the right as their is on the left.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Listen to this guy.        
Quoted:

Nehemiah 4:13-23. Even in an action clearly ordained and blessed by God, the people were protected because they armed themselves.

Luke 22:35-38. This is in direct contrast with the way Jesus sent out people throughout his earlier ministry. In my mind, He's acknowledging that the disciples won't be under His direct protection when he's gone, and they're going to have to defend themselves. Notably, all but John were eventually martyred (but not before starting a church movement that grew like wildfire). In the meantime, it appears to me that Jesus expected them to be tasked with their own self defense, and that several swords among them were enough. What use does a sword have but to kill? This is my first response to Christian antis who make the point that 'that gun was designed to kill!' All this seems to follow in John 18:10-11 (events just hours after the previous exchange described by Luke), when Peter attempts to protect Jesus by attacking those who were coming to arrest him. Jesus doesn't say 'Why do you have a sword? Get rid of that thing!' He also doesn't say 'Why do you have a sword? Don't  you have enough faith that your enemies will be automatically disarmed?' What He says is, essentially, 'Put the sword away - now's not the time to use it - you have to let them take me. I don't need your protection - it's there for you, not me.'

The idea that turning the other cheek means we should be a doormat is also incongruent with my understanding. In Matthew 5:38-42, Jesus talks about what Mosaic law entitles one to (an eye for an eye, for example) - He doesn't say that this is wrong, per se, but that a better understanding of love would lead us to treat offenses differently. Being slapped on the cheek is an offense, not an endangerment. Forcing them to slap you again in front of everyone is almost like an act of civil disobedience that reveals who is really in the right (and also allows you to show love to someone while they're trespassing against you). Being sued for your shirt is an offense. Giving your coat as well doesn't hurt you, but it does make the other person look like an asshole. I don't see anywhere in there that putting yourself (or, more importantly, others) in real danger is good, or that it is in any way wrong to protect yourself.

That's just my take, though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Like I said, some do not count certain forms of persecution and belittlement as some others might do.
View Quote

Posting off target, random crapola doesn't make you interesting, wise, or gnomic, it means you are pathetic and intellectually dishonest
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Really? I anchor my life in reason and logic. You base your's on fantasy. There's plenty said about that sort of thing in DSM-V, and it says you are the crazy one there, Axis II boy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"All that hate's gonna burn you up kid."  -Col Andy Tanner

Have a nice day parasite.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Allepo tom marrow you'd be a believer real fast.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just because somebody likes or believes something you don't, doesn't make the a "leftist", "commie", etc.

I swear there are just as many low information / ignorant voters on the right as their is on the left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you missed the gist of the entire conversation.  Neither of us is chastising him for anything other than his unrelenting hatred for Christians.

I asked, "why hate," and tried to suggest a little live and let live because Christians weren't hurting him.  The only way he could come up with how he's negatively effected is that he can't buy beer at 0100 hours.  All the other reasoning was

But thanks for your helpful suggestion.  I will try to get over myself by the end of the work day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hear 10% of your kind steal from patients for your own use. I guess that cuts down on the number you accidentally OD. Bye.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A whole lot of truth there.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Shame on both sides with all the name calling. What ever happen to live and let live?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I hear 10% of your kind steal from patients for your own use. I guess that cuts down on the number you accidentally OD. Bye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So are you admitting that you are on Meds?

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The only way he could come up with how he's negatively effected is that he can't buy beer at 0100 hours.  All the other reasoning was

But thanks for your helpful suggestion.  I will try to get over myself by the end of the work day.
View Quote

Awesome! The best you have is an outright lie. Thanks for winning for me!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top