Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh look........ Another religion bashing thread in GD.  It must be a day that ends in Y.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There isn't one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the verse God helps those who help themselves?

There isn't one.

There isn't, but you can take the story of the 4 lepers in 2 kings as proof of it. "Oh woe is me" didn't help the kingdom, but the four lepers leaving the outside of the wall they occupied to go to the enemy camp to find it empty of soldiers did. They brought back provisions that saved the kingdom that Elisha spoke of.

We have to work for the gifts that God has given, some believe and some don't.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#3]
worth quoting

Quoted:
So this fundamentalist is at home during a flood and the radio says evacuate immediately, but he says God will save him.

The flood waters start to cover the street, and a jeep come through them to his house and they call to him to come with them. He replies that God will save him and refuses to go.

The neighborhood floods and the water is up to the first floor when a boat comes to the house and they beg him to get in. No, God will save him he replies.

Finally, he is on the roof with everything else submerged. A helicopter tries to drop him a rope, but he refuses it. "GOD WILL SAVE ME!!!" He yells....

But the flood waters rise, and he drowns.

He gets to heaven and walks up to God. "What happened?!?! I Trusted you to save me!" He cries. God replies, "I sent you a jeep, a boat and a helicopter! Why didn't you take my help?!?!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

There isn't one.
View Quote

That's right. The idea was of ancient Greek origin, but it was first expressed in English by Algernon Sidney. Sidney ultimately lost his head for treason under King Charles II.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algernon_Sidney

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helps_those_who_help_themselves
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
TakeCover09 Thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
it's better than staying in a bath tub all your life with your dog out of fear.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#7]
That's what she gets for....her failure to apply Matt 7:6
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]
A question was asked to an atheist. " If you knew without a shadow of a doubt that there was a God above- would you worship him ? " and the atheist answered "  No !!!! why would I want to do that ? " There is a great truth found in this simple question & answer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The bible explicitly says DO NOT TEST GOD.

There comes a point when a person's FAITH in God is actually TESTING GOD.

Don't put a loaded gun to your head and say God will stop the bullet!  
View Quote

Every time I drive I test my brakes, steering, tires, etc. Why is god less durable or trustworthy or useful than a 17 year old Toyota?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Christian version of inshallah
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#11]
not exactly a new thing

Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.  - Stonewall Jackson
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A question was asked to an atheist. " If you knew without a shadow of a doubt that there was a God above- would you worship him ? " and the atheist answered "  No !!!! why would I want to do that ? " There is a great truth found in this simple question & answer.
View Quote

Why would I worship a freak who advocates kidnapping, murder, pedophilia, human sacrifice, and who revels in the scent of a freshly murdered innocent girl's blood?
How evil do you have to be to sign onto that team?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if we knew without a doubt that there were multiple gods, and people chose to worship a different one, would they be wrong?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There was actually an article from 2010 that stated evidence for the plagues to have occurred in Egypt. Scientists didn't claim them as "Gid's wrath", but they did find it nonetheless. There are findings recently that show King David was real, and show a lot of evidence towards the OT writings.

The truth will be known in time by all. Free will exists for us to make the choice to believe or not believe.
View Quote

Let me guess, an article in some religious publication?

There very well may have been a historical King David.
For that matter, historians think there was some real person who served as the basis for King Arthur
That doesn't mean there were actually Knights of the Round Table, merlin and the rest of the legend as real people, or that the Biblical David and his exploits.were anything approaching reality
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#15]
This whole thread.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, people do believe that.

Millions and millions of them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What if we knew without a doubt that there were multiple gods, and people chose to worship a different one, would they be wrong?
View Quote

According to god's direct words to Moses, there are other gods, and it is OK to worship them as long as Yaweh is worshipped centrally by the jews.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's right. The idea was of ancient Greek origin, but it was first expressed in English by Algernon Sidney. Sidney ultimately lost his head for treason under King Charles II.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't one.

The bible does say that if a man isn't willing to work,  he shouldn't expect to eat.   Similar concept IMO.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#19]
People (most) need something to hope for.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
not exactly a new thing

Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.  - Stonewall Jackson
View Quote

That pretty much distills a lot of theology and talk about Christian views of death and such down to the bare fundamentals. I shall save that one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
People are so scared of accepting that at the end of life, there is nothing.  The idea that there is some supreme being who watches over you is at the least retarded.  Pray or don't pray, it makes not difference and there is no god to care.
View Quote

I believe that in you're present condition, or under that which the Bible calls the, "carnal man," or the, "typical man," or typical carnal man, the one who is presently destined for hell, that you may not have all the knowledge that it would take in order to make such a statement that you have.
In fact, the Apostle Peter, an original disciple of Jesus Christ said this: and now we know that the love of God resides in us because if we are, "in Him," so that now we who are in Christ no longer fear death.
There are several references concerning the honor and completeness according to physical death in the Scriptures.
At this time I am able to list and expand on some of them if you like?
Some don't count certain forms of persecution as others might do.
Some feel as if there are virtual and even certain opportunities concerning many things.
I am not afraid.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

According to god's direct words to Moses, there are other gods, and it is OK to worship them as long as Yaweh is worshipped centrally by the jews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So he later took that back?

Exodus 23:13

“Pay attention to all that I have said to you, and make no mention of the names of other gods, nor let it be heard on your lips.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That pretty much distills a lot of theology and talk about Christian views of death and such down to the bare fundamentals. I shall save that one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
not exactly a new thing

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For that matter, historians think there was some real person who served as the basis for King Arthur
That doesn't mean there were actually Knights of the Round Table, merlin and the rest of the legend as real people, or that the Biblical David and his exploits.were anything approaching reality
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was actually an article from 2010 that stated evidence for the plagues to have occurred in Egypt. Scientists didn't claim them as "Gid's wrath", but they did find it nonetheless. There are findings recently that show King David was real, and show a lot of evidence towards the OT writings.

The truth will be known in time by all. Free will exists for us to make the choice to believe or not believe.

telegraph
That may not be suffice for you, but that is what my quick google search brought up. There have been multiple attempts to find the evidence and break the evidence and not find evidence at all on some occasions, and plenty of theories as well.

There's also evidence that the crossing of the sea of reeds or Red Sea is possible in its own. Just because it can be understood through science now in a re manufactured attempt doesn't take anything away from God's ability to provide the needed circumstances for it to happen at the right time . Some people, myself included have witnessed things that cement their faith to where it is, others have not or have just turned a blind eye to "chance" that it happened. We all want evidence and there's not always a cookie cutter model that will give it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#25]
While it's easy to bash believers

The real issue is in those who do not know their scripture

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And people say that GD is not a diverse forum.
View Quote

GD is becoming more and more Liberal every day.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm a Christian and believe God will protect me by giving me tools and skills ( and some divine intervention) to do so. That woman is an idiot. Plenty of bad things happen to Godly people
View Quote

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "I'm a Christian, and God will protect me because I have a gun and will shoot the person about to rob me".

I'm no biblical scholar, but I've yet to find the part in the Old or New Testament where God or Jesus extolls their followers to threaten or kill people for personal preservation.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#28]
well, she's kinda right, but not in the way she thinks.   God WILL protect you,  From eternal death.  

you'll live again,  you'll get your body back, in some form of heaven/afterlife.

he won't protect you from your temporary physical death. If you lay in the road, God will let you pay the consequences of your agency, and let you die.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#29]
So edgy. So cool. How can I be like you?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

“Pay attention to all that I have said to you, and make no mention of the names of other gods, nor let it be heard on your lips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read Exodus 20. He mentions them and says he is numero uno for the jews. It wouldn't be the first time he spoke out of both sides of his mouth. Furthermore, your quote validates that according to Ha Shem, there are other gods.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "I'm a Christian, and God will protect me because I have a gun and will shoot the person about to rob me".

I'm no biblical scholar, but I've yet to find the part in the Old or New Testament where God or Jesus extolls their followers to threaten or kill people for personal preservation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a Christian and believe God will protect me by giving me tools and skills ( and some divine intervention) to do so. That woman is an idiot. Plenty of bad things happen to Godly people

Turning the other cheek is fine and dandy, but if we have a means of protection than we are free to use it in a justifiable way. It speaks thou shalt not murder, not thou shalt not kill which is 2 entirely different things. Even in the time for everything chapter in Ecclesiastes it speaks of a time to kill and a time to heal. Exodus speaks of protecting your home as well.

Jesus spoke of turning the other cheek, but we are not called to be 100% pacifist in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#33]
It's the DU wing of GD..personally I wouldn't want to disagree with 99% of crazy DU lib views - then follow them to hell cause I agreed with them on the one thing they loath most about this country and conservatives.. Jesus.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's pretty cool with slitting a girl's throat so he can smell her blood, though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So, before you hit "submit" on a post like this, do you actually read it over and think "Yep, that's a really valid analogy and I'm proud of myself for thinking of it"?  Or is it just more of a "Hey, look what I typed!" thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every time I drive I test my brakes, steering, tires, etc. Why is god less durable or trustworthy or useful than a 17 year old Toyota?

So, before you hit "submit" on a post like this, do you actually read it over and think "Yep, that's a really valid analogy and I'm proud of myself for thinking of it"?  Or is it just more of a "Hey, look what I typed!" thing?

Demonstrate the inavlidity of what is posited.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

there is a difference between saying "there is no god", and "god gave me tools to protect my self with"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GD is almost as Godless as DU-- great company!

there is a difference between saying "there is no god", and "god gave me tools to protect my self with"

Because stating that God won't protect you and that you must do so yourself (because God exists but is either powerless or apathetic) is somehow so much better than denying the existence of God outright.

Good thing Daniel had that spear when Darius tossed him in with the lions.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not, but St. Thomas Aquinas is.

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3064.htm#article7
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So others have a belief that they hold firm in, and you have your beliefs (or lack thereof) that you hold firm in. You hate when people will try to verbalized their faith and try to "shove it down everyones throats", but you do the same thing in your rebuking of their faith and calling it made up .

---To the OP: there will always be the ones like this in the religious arena. What they feel to realize is that God ain't our personal secret service, but He will protect us by giving us the tools; like others have said. Everyone has a quirk, this just seems to be hers.
View Quote

If this lady isn't hurting you or cutting off peoples' heads in the name of her deity, why not live and let live?

OP is just another atheist attention whore shows up to bash what other people believe in.  

Why are so many atheists obsessed with Christians and their beliefs?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Turning the other cheek is fine and dandy, but if we have a means of protection than we are free to use it in a justifiable way. It speaks thou shalt not murder, not thou shalt not kill which is 2 entirely different things. Even in the time for everything chapter in Ecclesiastes it speaks of a time to kill and a time to heal. Exodus speaks of protecting your home as well.

Jesus spoke of turning the other cheek, but we are not called to be 100% pacifist in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So many think that he is teaching to be a pacifist but he's
basically saying to be the bigger man, or take the highroad.

It's easy to be the little man and be quarrelsome, it takes a spine to
look at one who just slapped you and to turn the other cheek to them.
(it clearly shows who the better man is)

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Faith is for the soul not the body.
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's all made up to make some feel better about dying, there is nothing after you die, you turn into a fuckin pile of bones and skin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's all made up to make some feel better about dying, there is nothing after you die, you turn into a fuckin pile of bones and skin.
Quoted:
Quoted:
People are so scared of accepting that at the end of life, there is nothing.  The idea that there is some supreme being who watches over you is at the least retarded.  Pray or don't pray, it makes not difference and there is no god to care.

Some people are so scared of accepting that at the end of life, there is judgement (for some).

Yeah we came out of nothing and became self aware just to realize we are going back to nothing, what's the point of it all?? Think about that. That's as much of a fantasy as you claim religion is.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes, people do believe that.

Millions and millions of them.
View Quote

Gods know the more who believe it the truer it is...right?

And somewhere between a single believer and "millions and millions of them", those professing belief of a supernatural being go from being wild-eyed kooks to being wise, learned men.

The readers' guide to the religion pecking order:

One who believes in the supernatural, but uniquely--belief not shared by others: the 'hide yo' kids', wild-eyed kook.  These are to be pitied. These people are the ones like those 'with voices in their heads'.

One who believes in the supernatural and whose beliefs are shared by few others are cultists.  these are to be made fun of and/or hated.  These are like the UFO and Bigfoot believers.

One who believes in the supernatural and whose beliefs are shared by many others but are not my own beliefs: these people are to be 'situationally' respected because they might either bomb that ass, or help that ass bomb other asses.  These are the Hindu, Muslim, Christians etc.  

One who believes in the supernatural and whose beliefs are shared by many others who share my own beliefs: These people are the ones who are right; who receive the benefit of respect first unless proven not to deserve it.  These are the people I worship with.

Do the atheists come before, or after the wild-eyed kooks on the religion pecking order?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just had a convo with a woman stating that she doesn't fear for her life because she believes in god and that he will protect her from evil. I just kind of had this like you fucking serious look on my face. Do people really believe and buy in to this kind of stuff?
View Quote

Lord steady my hand and help my aim be true is about all I ask for.  Lot's of practice too though to make His job easier!

Believers with common sense understand that God is not going to part the clouds, reach down and smite the bad man just as he approaches you.  At most God gives me the opportunity to learn how to defend myself and those around me but it's up to me to take advantage of the opportunity (educate, train, practice).  Kind of like the guy on the roof in the flood (which by now has to have been posted 87 times.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah we came out of nothing and became self aware just to realize we are going back to nothing, what's the point of it all?? Think about that. That's as much of a fantasy as you claim religion is.
View Quote

All available evidence points to that being true, that's not fantasy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then there's no point to you being here.

There also cannot be any kind of objective morality.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Christian version of inshallah
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why are so many atheists obsessed with Christians and their beliefs?
View Quote

That really isn't it. I think every religion is equally stupid. The real question is, does truth matter to you? If it does, then you seek it, and attempt to help the deluded when you can. If you came to me with a fervent belief in the Easter Bunny, I would do my best to help you.  It isn't because I hate you or the Easter Bunny or chocolate, it is because I think delusions should be made to dissipate when possible. Truth leads to understanding and peace and mental health. Delusion gets us jihad and the Children's Crusade.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the Scriptures, the word of God says that if a person tithes, a controversial Christian subject, that one may indeed try or test God so that blessings in a form beginning in the spiritual realm, or that of the supernatural into the physical realm would be liberally given from God's source in which that potential may come from anywhere.
The reasoning here being that He is the Creator, and all things have been designed and somehow been predestined for His glory.
And if not for God's express honor and glory here, which is not always apparent to us now, but in and through God's judgment which will be singularly decided concerning every man and woman, by God, and prophesied about in the Bible at a juncture of His choosing.
The Bible seems to indicate that many will not make the cut.
The Father of all creation must see Jesus His Son.
Therefore, we must be, "In Him."
The physical outside portion means little to God.
The Bible says that God is no respecter of persons in the flesh.
The flesh has already been cursed.
Thus certain forms of present day scientific study to relieve these issues.
One being averting physical death in some form.
There, however, is the complication of a cursed earth and atmosphere too.
Rock on..
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah we came out of nothing and became self aware just to realize we are going back to nothing, what's the point of it all?? Think about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah we came out of nothing and became self aware just to realize we are going back to nothing, what's the point of it all?? Think about that.

Yeah, pretty cool, huh? Turns out you exist as a vehicle to spread your DNA. You are just a data carrier. Deal with it.

That's as much of a fantasy as you claim religion is.

Nope. Not hardly.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top