Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People are so scared of accepting that at the end of life, there is nothing.  The idea that there is some supreme being who watches over you is at the least retarded.  Pray or don't pray, it makes not difference and there is no god to care.
View Quote
I believe in God. I also happen to believe that God isn't a mirco manager. I mean, the guy has an entire panet and probably an entire universe to run. He ain't going to keep an eye on me 24/7.

But then again... we have people say that they get their rights from God too. That's a crock of shit.

God doesn't grant rights. Man gets them by fighting for them and defending them. If God gave rights then why slavery?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#2]
And people say that GD is not a diverse forum.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

GD is almost as Godless as DU-- great company!
View Quote
Let me know when God gets off his throne and says "Sorry folks... Iwas asleep during that whole slavery thing".

Does God grant rights? No.

Man grants himself rights by fighting for them and defending them.

And I say this as a God Fearing Catholic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Reminds me of an old joke where a man needs $1 million for a life saving operation. God tells him not to worry about the money, the man will win the lottery. Well, he doesn't win, doesn't get the operation, and dies. When he gets to heaven he is mad at God as he told him he would win the lottery but didn't. God looked at the man and said "you've gotta buy a ticket dumbass."
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And people say that GD is not a diverse forum.
View Quote

Yep we have:

1  Jesus Freaks
2  Outgoing Religious people
3  Discreet Religious people
4  Don't give a shit about religion people
5  Aggressive Atheists

I'm usually number 4, but derp brings out the 5 in me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Free will is an obligation as much as a right.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#7]
God gave us .45 acp. He has protected us of we would just use the the tools he has given us to protect his gift of life and family.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#8]
The GD seminary is always entertaining.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#9]
God WILL save and protect that woman, as He will all believers.

However, what many don't realize is the fact that the saving and protecting generally happens AFTER you're dead.

Keeping our bodies alive is entirely up to us.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let me know when God gets off his throne and says "Sorry folks... Iwas asleep during that whole slavery thing".  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your catholicism is fuzzy.

God does grant rights.  

Man must recognize god in order to recognize those rights however.

Your theory would have rights simply be a challenge of strength.  The strongest has all rights and weakest none.  Which is how it works in godless societies.

LImited government only works when men freely recognize a higher sovereign than the state.

the more godless the society, the more powerful the state.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Human rights are an imaginary construct.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think non- believers lack  the tangible signs and miracles that occur or have occurred to christians-  I have had many occasions where God showed up and revealed himself in a way that it could not be explained , super natural occurrences are real and when it happens you can't deny it and it's more validation that it's very real
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think non- believers lack  the tangible signs and miracles that occur or have occurred to christians-  I have had many occasions where God showed up and revealed himself in a way that it could not be explained , super natural occurrences are real and when it happens you can't deny it and it's more validation that it's very real

Something you cannot explain doesn't equal "miracle"
Quoted:

Because of the evidence. A few points:

1.) Very few people deny the historical authenticity of the Bible, especially the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John). They're more well documented than almost any other ancient work.
2.) The guys who wrote those books down (the primary sources) went to their deaths saying they saw what they saw. Every single one of them (ETA: John was exiled, but went on spreading the word about what he'd seen until he died - our understanding is that the rest of the 12 were martyred, specifically, and many more who heard from primary sources such as Stephen were also martyred for believing what they did). There was no glory in it, and they knew that. Why would they go to their deaths for something they knew was a lie?

Outside of the actual texts that comprise those books, there is no documentation.
Historical authenticity? As in the various places mentioned actually existed? Sure. Just because Gone with the Wind mentions Atlanta doesn't mean that events in Gone With the Wind actually took place
Was there a historical Jesus? Probably.
There is no independent verification of any of the claims of miracles etc

David Koresh went to his grave believing his claims.
Ardent belief alone does not bestow validity
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh look..it's Kim Jong-un  -  glad you can contribute.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same here.  Watching adults talk to themselves while hoping some fairy tale being is going to help them is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
She can pray to God when she's being gangraped and/or killed and then see what happens

I stopped having imaginary friends in 3rd grade.

Same here.  Watching adults talk to themselves while hoping some fairy tale being is going to help them is

So sayeth Pharoh.

The Lord God is my Rock, my Fortress and my Salvation.

Blessed be the name of the Lord.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a Christian and believe God will protect me by giving me tools and skills ( and some divine intervention) to do so. That woman is an idiot. Plenty of bad things happen to Godly people
View Quote

This, my pastor was speaking on Gods protection and will, he stated that Our father will protect us. He said "I know this because he has sent our church Mike and a few others".
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think they do
It absolves them from doing anything on their own to protect themselves
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Some people are so scared of accepting that at the end of life, there is judgement (for some).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People are so scared of accepting that at the end of life, there is nothing.  The idea that there is some supreme being who watches over you is at the least retarded.  Pray or don't pray, it makes not difference and there is no god to care.

Some people are so scared of accepting that at the end of life, there is judgement (for some).

But the religious people say god cares. Then there is the whole, "If he cares, how does he let a child die, etc." which are good questions. They twist love and words to find an answer.

But how do they answer the question of, "If god cares, why is he going to let our Sun turn into a red giant and kill every human on our planet?"

He is all powerful, so that's out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Amen.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why not?

We believe your stories about married ex-GFs hitting on you on Facebook.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
She can pray to God when she's being gangraped and/or killed and then see what happens

I stopped having imaginary friends in 3rd grade.

Tell me about it. I just don't see how ppl believe some of the stories in the bible. Guy survives days in a whale. Guys survive being thrown in fire. Guy walks on water. Guys walk THROUGH a sea.

Why not?

We believe your stories about married ex-GFs hitting on you on Facebook.

ROFL LMAO
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely false, God gave you the ability to secure rights.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Outside of the actual texts that comprise those books, there is no documentation.
Historical authenticity? As in the various places mentioned actually existed? Sure. Just because Gone with the Wind mentions Atlanta doesn't mean that events in Gone With the Wind actually took place

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1.) Very few people deny the historical authenticity of the Bible, especially the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John). They're more well documented than almost any other ancient work.
2.) The guys who wrote those books down (the primary sources) went to their deaths saying they saw what they saw. Every single one of them (ETA: John was exiled, but went on spreading the word about what he'd seen until he died - our understanding is that the rest of the 12 were martyred, specifically, and many more who heard from primary sources such as Stephen were also martyred for believing what they did). There was no glory in it, and they knew that. Why would they go to their deaths for something they knew was a lie?

Yeah, that's completely incorrect. Whether we're talking old testament or new, there is plenty of extrabiblical evidence that supports many of the historical claims of the Bible. Not just places, but people, events, etc. If you don't think that's a basis for verifying parts of a story, I wonder what histories you could possibly trust prior to the 16th century.

Whether one believes the supernatural aspects of it is a different story, indeed. I leave that as an exercise for the reader. Believe what you like.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#22]
God created Gaston.  Gaston created the Glock.  I own a Glock.  Therefore God protects me.

Taken from another website...

A man is caught in a terrible rainstorm. For days and days it rains without stopping, causing a flood. He is trapped in his house, but since he is a man who has great faith in God, he is not worried. He believes that God will save him.

By the fifth day of rain, his basement is flooded and his neighbors are starting to evacuate their homes. His neighbor, driving an all-terrain vehicle, offers him a ride to higher and drier ground.

"No, thank you," the man replies. "God will save me."

The rain continues. In fact, it grows worse. By the eighth day, the first floor of his house is under two feet of water, the street in front of his house looks like a river, all his neighbors have left, and he is alone in his house sitting on the dining room table calmly eating cereal.

Suddenly there is a knock on the door. A member of the Rescue Squad has arrived in a powerboat, and offers to take the man to safety.

"No, thank you," the man replies. "God will save me."

The rescuer leaves and the man finishes his cereal. Three more days go by. It rains all three days without stop. By now, the entire first floor is flooded and the man has to retreat to his roof. The National Guard has been called in and on the afternoon of the eighth day, a helicopter flies low over his house, dropping a ladder for him. The pilot calls down, "Grab hold and we'll lift you out of here!"

"No, thank you!" the man yells back. "God will save me."

Within two more days, the water has risen so high that the man is about to drown. The town is utterly deserted, most houses have collapsed, and the street have became raging, turbulent rivers. The man is sitting on his roof, waiting for God to save him. As the waters rush around his neck, he begins to fear that perhaps God will not save him and he has been mistaken all this time to have had faith in God. Plaintively, he cries out, "God, why haven't you saved me?"

A voice booms from heaven, "First I sent your neighbor in an ATV, then I sent the Rescue Squad in a boat, then I sent the National Guard in a helicopter. What more do you want from Me?"
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Faith is for the soul not the body.
View Quote

Amen.

Loss of the physical body is nothing relative to the soul. I don't think most people understand.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#24]
DarkMatter2525 on Youtube explains how the bible is one BIG contradiction.  Basically, some people believe although the universe is proven to be vast beyond our comprehension, that God chose an area about the size of a pinhead out of this ENORMOUS universe to "reveal" himself and lead his "chosen" people...The absurdity of the whole premise is summed up perfectly in one of his vids.  There is no refuting it.  Just like the how God is supposedly omnipresent and omnipotent yet in several stories he sends his "angels" to go check things out for him...uh ok, aren't you there already and all-knowing?  Guess not.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#25]
A Christian understands that there is more than life here on earth, and this is just the small part. Laugh if you wish; we expect it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Of course and we will pray for those like you that don't.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's completely incorrect. Whether we're talking old testament or new, there is plenty of extrabiblical evidence that supports many of the historical claims of the Bible. Not just places, but people, events, etc. If you don't think that's a basis for verifying parts of a story, I wonder what histories you could possibly trust prior to the 16th century.

Whether one believes the supernatural aspects of it is a different story, indeed. I leave that as an exercise for the reader. Believe what you like.
View Quote

I am sure that historical things like Kings are easily verified.
There is no independent verification of any of Jesus' miracles.
As far as the Old Testament, there is no mention in Egyptian history of Jewish slaves fleeing captivity, plagues, Egyptian armies wiped out by the parted seas, etc
I am curious as to what events in the old and New  testament you think have independent verification by neutral observers and not True Believers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Call on god, but row away from the rocks
View Quote

Winner.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just had a convo with a woman stating that she doesn't fear for her life because she believes in god and that he will protect her from evil. I just kind of had this like you fucking serious look on my face. Do people really believe and buy in to this kind of stuff?
View Quote

I actually envy the ones that feel that way, it's one less thing they worry about.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I'm a retard then.  And this retard just prayed for you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've argued that in GD before, they didn't like it.

I don't know why it's such a hard concept to grasp. As a society we've agreed on what we call natural rights, they didn't exist until we acknowledged them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#32]
God had me born in the USA, where I have the right to protect myself.
God gave me the innate desire to protect myself.
God blessed me with the mental aptitude to earn disposable income.
Clearly having several Glocks loaded with premium ammo is Gods way of protecting me.
I am blessed with HST in 45, 40, 357 Sig, 9mm.

Some people don't understand how to accept help.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

God created Gaston Glock.

Gaston created G19.

G19 protects me.

No problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God helps those that help themselves.

Ya gotta do your part.

God created Gaston Glock.

Gaston created G19.

G19 protects me.

No problem.

A good leader nows how to delegate.

The chain of command. God to Browning, Browning to me, me to 1911, 1911 to HST, HST the vitals of the wicked.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am sure that historical things like Kings are easily verified.
There is no independent verification of any of Jesus' miracles.
As far as the Old Testament, there is no mention in Egyptian history of Jewish slaves fleeing captivity, plagues, Egyptian armies wiped out by the parted seas, etc
I am curious as to what events in the old and New  testament you think have independent verification by neutral observers and not True Believers.
View Quote

There was actually an article from 2010 that stated evidence for the plagues to have occurred in Egypt. Scientists didn't claim them as "Gid's wrath", but they did find it nonetheless. There are findings recently that show King David was real, and show a lot of evidence towards the OT writings.

The truth will be known in time by all. Free will exists for us to make the choice to believe or not believe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's all made up to make some feel better about dying, there is nothing after you die, you turn into a fuckin pile of bones and skin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's all made up to make some feel better about dying, there is nothing after you die, you turn into a fuckin pile of bones and skin.
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's funny to me, you asert this as fact, just as the religious asert their beliefs as fact.

and yet neither of you can admit the possibility of being wrong.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think they do
View Quote

Yup.  "my life is in someone else's hands".

Maybe it works for them, maybe they are just lucky, maybe they are on borrowed time.   Who knows.

It sure hasn't worked for me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a single author in the new testament, and yes that means Matt, Mark, Luke, and John, knew Jesus. If they claimed they saw Jesus, then I seen Elvis! The FIRST written anything in the new testament was done 50 years after Jesus died. Lots of people deny the accuracy of the bible from stem to stern, and for a metric fuckton of excellent reasons.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#38]
What was that line from saving private ryan? Lord grant me strength etc etc
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

it's funny to me, you asert this as fact, just as the religious asert ther beliefs as fact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's funny to me, you asert this as fact, just as the religious asert ther beliefs as fact.

There is more evidence to back becoming nothing but bones and skin than there is that we are gonna fly to purgatory to wait for the second coming.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#40]
What's the verse God helps those who help themselves?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#41]
I can see where folks not wanting to harm another to protect their own life come from, in a religious sense.
I don't share their level of faith.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I believe in God, and when it is my time, it is my time.  I Also believe in protecting innocent life while here as I will one day stand before God and be judged as we all will.  Faith in Jesus saves us from our sins and eternal damnation.

How do I know?  Many things in my life  prove this to me

Now for the naysayers, what am I missing out on by following a Christian lifestyle (or trying)? Maybe some parties, drugs, sex, etc. What  is the trade off if I am wrong? I've missed some of that stuff. what is the trade-off for everyone who does not believe when they do stand before God?

Seems like a pretty simple formula
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
Don't think that's in there however something about the rain falls on the just and the unjust is.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
God had me born in the USA, where I have the right to protect myself.
God gave me the innate desire to protect myself.
God blessed me with the mental aptitude to earn disposable income.
Clearly having several Glocks loaded with premium ammo is Gods way of protecting me.
I am blessed with HST in 45, 40, 357 Sig, 9mm.

Some people don't understand how to accept help.
View Quote

How does a 3 year old girl being gang raped to cure HIV in Gabon accept help?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

There isn't one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think they do
View Quote

I knew a single woman living in Detroit who didn't believe in crime.  Its admirable if you're out there trying to fix things regardless of danger but volunteering for victimization will likely end one way.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#47]
I'll get squished when God has decided it's my time to go. That's not up to me. However, I'll never know when that time is, so I'll just keep on trying to live as long as I can.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I believe that God works for the greater good of His Creation. But the ways in which He does this are inscrutable to us, and His priorities are not necessarily our (individual) priorities. For example, the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki suffered terribly, and could rightfully ask, "Where is God?" But Hiroshima and Nagasaki served as a warning to mankind, and there hasn't been a nuclear bomb dropped in anger ever since.

This is why Christ, in the Lord's Prayer, was so terse and economical. The central idea of the Lord's Prayer is "thy will be done." There is no laundry list of requests, other than the simple "give us this day our daily bread." Too much prayer -- especially laundry lists of personal requests -- is actually antithetical to Christianity. Christianity is all about faith and acceptance. (Actually, this is a common theme in all major religions.) We're not in a position to second-guess God.

Remember that death is not the worst thing that may befall us. Separation from God (which is another way of describing Hell) is the worst thing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Lord helps those who help themselves.

View Quote

this. I once met a couple at a marina who had an absolute piece of shit sailboat who were planning on heading south the day before a massive gale rolled through the area. when I mentioned the weather forecast they started spouting off the "god will deliver his children" type crap. the boat and the couple and the boat ended up being pounded to splinters on the rocks about 15 miles south. yep god sure came through for ya on that one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top