Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2016 12:06:44 AM EDT
A friend is in search of a new 2015-16 truck and is looking hard at the Frontier. I figured ARF would give me a good cross-section of opinions.....and a few laughs. What say you ARFCOM?????

For reference, he is looking at a basic 4x4, V6 king cab. He's just wanting a pretty plain-vanilla truck.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Tacoma
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
A Frontier? The current trucks were good when they hit the market, but that was 2004. Buying a new one now is a laughable suggestion.

Tell him to look at the new Tacoma and the Colorado.

The Tacoma is most likely the better built of the two trucks, and it's the more hard core of the two. Every review I've seen so far says the Colorado is more comfortable, has better handling, and has better road manners.

In true GM fashion expect the Colorado to get the discounts before the Tacoma, but both are probably too new to the market to get any stellar deals.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Piss-on Niss-on
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Be sure to shop insurance as well.  I was quoted $25 more a month for a 2016 Frontier Pro over a 2016 Tacoma TRD OR with the same coverage.  Perfect driving record.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Tacoma
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I always go with Nissan. Toyotas customer service here sucks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A friend is in search of a new 2015-16 truck and is looking hard at the Frontier. I figured ARF would give me a good cross-section of opinions.....and a few laughs. What say you ARFCOM?????

For reference, he is looking at a basic 4x4, V6 king cab. He's just wanting a pretty plain-vanilla truck.
View Quote

Chevrolet
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't the 2016 a complete facelift?

I'm in the market for a used Frontier but we're talking 05-2013 here. In my areas they are significantly underpriced compared to Tacomas.

Also in before "just get a fullsize"
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Plastic cheap underpowered horrible gas mileage even for a truck .  Engine sounds like a rattle can after 30k miles and the Tacoma will always be superior .
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm in the market for a used Frontier but we're talking 05-2013 here. In my areas they are significantly underpriced compared to Tacomas.

View Quote

Nope.

The Nissan Frontier currently sold as new is the same truck that was on Nissan lots when GWB was in his first term, Operation Iraqi Freedom was still new-ish, and flip phones were all the rage.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#11]
2011 4x4 V6 here.  It's my second.  I've had zero issues.  Never haul anything larger than a small trailer.  I didn't see any differences that justified the price difference between the Frontier & Taco.  I think they're solid.  My two cents.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 08 pathfinder, basically the same thing.

I really like it. Strongest v6 I've owned (explorer 4.0 and jeep inline 6).  No major problems at 128k miles.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Same styling and engine for the past 12+ years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Plastic cheap underpowered horrible gas mileage even for a truck .  Engine sounds like a rattle can after 30k miles and the Tacoma will always be superior .
View Quote

When you said "plastic" and "underpowered", I was sure you were referring to the Tacoma.

The Taco's new, "improved" V6 is a gutless wonder - No torque until it's almost redlined.

Meanwhile, the Fronty's V6 makes gobs of torque at just about any engine speed.

Then, there's Toyota's world-renowned dealership attitude ("Toyota - Take it, or leave it!™") - They literally believe that their shit doesn't stink.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I had an 02 Frontier SE, 4x4 that i got in 2009 and just sold it at the end of 2015, really really liked it
Ran it to about 130k and it was fine minus valve cover gaskets.

Would buy again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a pickup.  The engine is solid.  Who cares?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire industry with everyone upgrading to more fuel efficient engines.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tacoma
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Tacoma

Quoted:
Piss-on Niss-on

Toyota FTW
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:47:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a 2002 Nissan Xterra which has been my daily driver for 14 years and nothing but regular maintenance. I'd buy another Nissan before any US Big 3 made vehicle if there was a dealer anywhere close to me, which there isn't.  Weren't Frontiers and Xterras basically the same vehicle under the body?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You say that like it's a bad thing they've kept the same engine for 12 years. Was something wrong with the engine?

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#21]

2013 SV 4x4 V6
3" PRG Lift
31" Duratrac

Been though hell since we moved to Idaho, zero issues worth talking about. Most I caused, .
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:51:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had an 02 Frontier SE, 4x4 that i got in 2009 and just sold it at the end of 2015, really really liked it
Ran it to about 130k and it was fine minus valve cover gaskets.

Would buy again.
View Quote

I kind of miss my 2000.  (First year the crew cab came out)
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an 02 v6 xe frontier. Its pretty reliable so far except for an ac hose and valve cover gaskets. Its a good beater truck. I'd buy a newer one if needed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I would say that there has got to be improvements made in generations newer than the current Frontier and those improvements may or may not matter to the buyer for the money.

The 2nd gen Frontier seems to be from 2005-2016 and Autoweek indicates that 2017 will be the new body and motor package. It would seem that the current Frontier has a 261 HP V6 and a 6k tow rating which seems to be far from gutless and a pretty good tow rating (both close to the mid 2000s Gen 3 GM 5.3 LM7). Gas mileage looks to be about 18 MPG average.

All in all, you can get into a decent Frontier for less than 30k which is pretty good. I would definitely place the Frontier over the Colorado if I was in the market, but behind the Tacoma. You will also pay more for the Colorado or Tacoma, at least in a 4x4 package.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bids and 4.0 v6s are anything but underpowered. I have an Xterra with that engine and it's a beast compared to other v6s
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure, even when it snaps in half from rust and Toyota tells you to piss up a rope because some random guy in a suit decided your state doesn't have "winter weather", but the state 30 miles north of you does.   They have not exactly covered themselves in glory the last decade or so on some major customer service issues.  

The interiors on all of the Frontiers aren't cheap.  The interiors on the cheap ones are cheap.   But cheap or not, they have a better layout.   The bed on the nicer Frontiers are way more useful than the beds on the Tacomas.

Drivetrain and aftermarket, though, Toyota wins.   I like the 4.0 in the Nissan more, but the Toyota engine will probably last longer and the diffs/axles are better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've got a 2002 Nissan Xterra which has been my daily driver for 14 years and nothing but regular maintenance. I'd buy another Nissan before any US Big 3 made vehicle if there was a dealer anywhere close to me, which there isn't.  Weren't Frontiers and Xterras basically the same vehicle under the body?
View Quote

Yep, just about identical where it counts.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sure, even when it snaps in half from rust and Toyota tells you to piss up a rope because some random guy in a suit decided your state doesn't have "winter weather", but the state 30 miles north of you does.   They have not exactly covered themselves in glory the last decade or so on some major customer service issues.  

The interiors on all of the Frontiers aren't cheap.  The interiors on the cheap ones are cheap.   But cheap or not, they have a better layout.   The bed on the nicer Frontiers are way more useful than the beds on the Tacomas.

Drivetrain and aftermarket, though, Toyota wins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drivetrain and aftermarket, though, Toyota wins.

One of the main factors that moved me to the Frontier. Between the snowboard rack i made, exact dirtbike mounts, and camping gear segregation. I am not sure I could go back to a truck with a normal bed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The last re-style was in 2009 - 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Wife has a newer Xterra with the 4.0 V6. I love that engine. It sings a beautiful song when reved out. Great torque and horsepower.  Dana axles too.

While I do like the taco, their v6 just flat out sucks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nope.

The Nissan Frontier currently sold as new is the same truck that was on Nissan lots when GWB was in his first term, Operation Iraqi Freedom was still new-ish, and flip phones were all the rage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Well I happen to own a 2009 Frontier AND a flip phone.
My Frontier has never had a problem and feels a lot more sturdy than my brothers brand new 2015 Tacoma.
Frontiers are good trucks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even brand new Toyotas sound the same to me as when the 3.slow was introduced.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:39:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought a new Frontier in Dec of 2005. It's identical to the current truck except for the headlights and a couple of interior pieces.

I'm still driving it and I've personally put 270,000 miles on it.

4.0, 6MT, 2wd

Averaged 19.5 mpg on my last tank. Lately I've been between 19.25 and 20. A few years ago I was getting up to 21.5.

Things that have been replaced:

70,000 Axel bearing
110,000 Fuel sender
130,000 Tailgate hinge
150,000 U joint
210,000 Clutch
210,000 Fuel Sender
210,000 O2 sensor
220,000 Starter
240,000 Catalytic converter

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish they were all like that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#35]
My '01 4x4 crew cab Frontier is a piece of shit. 250k miles as a daily driver and it still keeps running. Gas and temp guages are a bit wonky. Have to change out the power steering hoses soon. Keep needing to buy new tires when the old ones wear out. Damned factory radio wouldn't die so I replaced it anyway. I'm sure mine is a total lemon because I've never been able to convince my wife to have sex in it.

I would never buy more than 2 or 3 more Nissans ever again.

Your milage may vary.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#36]
My 02 was rock solid and then upgraded in 08 to a titan after 150k miles.  Titan still going strong with 130k.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

You get more for your money with Frontier over pretty much anything else. Get the "Desert Runner" suspension, and the four-door version is only about a 1200 dollar upcharge from the two-door. Only two options you even have to think about -everything else (other than 4wd) is pretty much standard. Insanely reliable. had an '04, gave it to my nephew for him to drive in Colorado. Over 200K on it and still looks and drives like new. BTW, Nissan uses a black clearcoat finish that makes it pretty much invulnerable to fade, no matter how you mistreat it.

I'm actually in the market for another one (getting rid of the Charger, it sux).
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:50:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Great Truck, but at this point, wait for the coming refresh
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#39]
My 06 had been great aside from the gas gauge.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#41]
2012 Frontier with 47K on it. Will get another one when needed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Had a Frontier for a year now, went with it mainly because the base 4x4 F150 was impossible to find and the Toyota dealerships were pricks. (They actually expected me to buy the thing without a test drive)

Paid 24K new, used Tacomas with 60-90K miles were priced thousands higher..

It's been a good solid truck, good mileage and pulls the boat just fine. The 4x4 is excellent in deep sand.  When the wife's car hits 200K I'm replacing it with a Nissan Exterra if I can find a late model one.

As for styling, it's a truck.  Who give s shit?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/bO7EzFAl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rrY6oYol.jpg

2013 SV 4x4 V6
3" PRG Lift
31" Duratrac

Been though hell since we moved to Idaho, zero issues worth talking about. Most I caused, .
View Quote

Props for putting your truck through real paces.    2015trd Tacoma owner.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#44]
My 2011 Pro-4X has stock 265 hp and a Dana 44 E-locker rear diff.stock.
Look at your "Taco" and you will see rear DRUM brakes and a plastic bed.
SUNROOF installed by the factory (not a toyota option)
2017 the Frontier enters the game with many new features that will raise the bar for the mid-size truck market.
You will see among many other things:
5 link rear suspension (bye bye leaf springs)
Powerful Turbo diesel, more ft. lbs and torque than Colorado.
restyled interior and exterior.
Toyota makes a great product but it is not built as solid and durable as the Nissan.
Tacoma is lighter and cheaper, its really that simple.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have an 02 v6 xe frontier. Its pretty reliable so far except for an ac hose and valve cover gaskets. Its a good beater truck. I'd buy a newer one if needed.
View Quote

I drove one for over 200k miles and it drove great when I sold it. That hose was the only recurring trouble spot. My mechanic said the high pressure hoses had a life expectancy of around 30k miles or less due to vibration. I went through several but it was a cheap fix at the time and the truck never broke down in over ten years of hard driving.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#46]
2014 Frontier 4x4 crewcab owner.I love mine.4.0 v6 ls a beast.I'm getting 21 mpg highway,17 city.Tell your buddy to take one out for a drive.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A Frontier? The current trucks were good when they hit the market, but that was 2004. Buying a new one now is a laughable suggestion.

Tell him to look at the new Tacoma and the Colorado.

The Tacoma is most likely the better built of the two trucks, and it's the more hard core of the two. Every review I've seen so far says the Colorado is more comfortable, has better handling, and has better road manners.

In true GM fashion expect the Colorado to get the discounts before the Tacoma, but both are probably too new to the market to get any stellar deals.
View Quote

I went poking around the local Chevy dealer on Sunday. There was a nice red Colorado in the back, a 2015 CPO for $34k.

May as well get a Silverado at that price.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#48]
My one experience with a Frontier was bad.  I bought a new 2004 Frontier 4x4 with the supercharged motor.  Within the first 34,00 miles (thank God all under warranty) the following needed repair/replacement.  Air conditioning compressor crapped out, transmission had to be repaired twice, and the supercharger seized up on it.  I took it in for all the regular maintenance so it was not neglect on my part.  It also lacked performance, for a supercharged vehicle.  I sold it after the dealer replaced the supercharger, and I will most likely never buy another Nissan product again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Solid truck, but wait for a good deal on the outgoing model.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a 2012 Frontier CC 4x4. Best truck I have owned. Plenty of power, plenty of room/storage. Currently averages 18 mpg during a normal work week and a high of 22 mpg when we went on vacation and drove mostly on the interstate.

My only complaint is the stereo head unit... you can barely read it with polarized sunglasses on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top