Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2016 11:40:15 PM EDT
Another thread got me wondering.

I'm 32, have been driving since I was 20 (learned when I was about 7, but didn't have my own car until 20).

So far I've been involved in about six, only one as passenger. When I was a kid I'd been in a couple of impacts but that was usually road rage so I don't count them as accidents.

First involved: Passenger seat of my brother's truck, he turned in front of an oncoming truck and had a head-on collision. We were both fine.

First as driver: Had just dropped my date off at about 2 in the morning and was driving home on a narrow, unfamiliar country road with bad pavement. Hit a patch of gravel in a corner I wasn't prepared for and slid into a ditch, hit a fencepost and went under the fence. Managed to rock the car out of that position and drive it home. Crushed in the whole side of my 92 Miata

Others...

Rear ended at highway speed by a drugged-up looking idiot on I-35 in an old Oldsmobile or something. Next time I saw him he was surrounded by State Troopers.

Rear ended at a red light by a Mexican woman.

Backed into at another red light by a woman in an SUV, even though I'd intentionally moved my car halfway out from behind her car so she could clearly see me. Had time to get into reverse, but not enough time to get moving before she hit me

Made an unprotected left onto a 3 or 4 lane road in Plano. Woman in an SUV flew into the same intersection from the opposite direction, made a hard right, crossed all the lanes and crushed in the entire side of my Integra

I'm sure y'all have some good stories

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Driving for over ten years, been rear ended twice.

Got rear ended once as a kid riding in my moms car.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in 2 as a passenger and 0 as a driver.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Two.

1.  Fenderbender.

2.  You want to know horror. Imagine yourself in a upside down van on the I-15 and realizing that your children have been ejected from the vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Rear ended at a stop light.

Rear ended at a stop sign.

Rear ended when I stopped for a deer.

ETA: Rear ended by a motorcycle while stopped waiting on traffic in front of me to turn left.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
One as a passenger, two as a driver.  All were pretty cut and dry rear ending accidents.

Actually 3 as a driver.  Lost my beater on some ice and went into a ditch at like 5mph.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Somewhere around 10. Only three where I was driving and only 1 where I was at fault
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
one

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Thirty years old.

Two accidents, one at fault, one no fault.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a few fender-benders...

I rear ended a woman once, she failed to use her turn signal when making a left turn to pick her kids at school. Lucky for me, I was doing 25 when she hit the brakes all of the sudden.

Major wreck? Only one.

Spun out in a rain storm; my tires were not so good and I swear I saw my life passing me by when I saw the tractor trailer behind me swerving to avoid me. crushed the right rear quarter panel of my car, but luckily, the car was not a total loss and I was able to fix it, then drive it a year more before I traded it in for my current ride.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Luckily, with almost 45 years of driving, not a single one. Had some close calls., but I drive VERY defensively.

ETA: There was one time I remembered when a guy in a brand new Honda bumped into my trailer hitch that had a 2 inch ball on it. No cops called, but he left with a nice hole in that front bumper. He was driving the car from one dealer to another for a transfer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
1 in 40 years as a licensed driver,my fault,rear ended a guy in Tulsa when drivers side brake failed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]
None as a driver......
Went for a role off the highway once as a passenger. Not a scratch after five end for end flips. Not something I care to repeat. It was also the first time my dad ever let me ride with a fellow teenager......and the last!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Started driving in 1976..been in 4 that I remember, two my fault, two not my fault including the last one..last one was a doozy and it has and will affect my quality of life for the rest of my life..happened in march of 13.....guy lost control of his hummer on the hi way and after hitting me in the drivers door, pushed me into the rear of a road grader backing up an exit ramp(cops figured i was doing 60 mph at impact).....pics pretty much explains it best.........

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Little over two years ago was my first wreck. I was going down the freeway one morning to work, and it was still dark and pouring down rain. I was going through a curve and suddenly my headlights lit up a stalled car with a dead battery right in front of me. I swerve to avoid it, hydroplane and go into a very fast spin. Ended up slamming into the concrete barrier on the side nearly head on and smash the front end in, bounce off and hit it again with the rear. Car was totally fucked up and I somehow walked away.

Then 8 months later I was going through an intersection in the Cherokee I had gotten and a car failed to yield on a left turn and drove right into the driver side rear quarter. There was frame damage and it was totaled.

Fun fact that I learned, insurance companies don't give a shit if the accidents are your fault or not. Two totaled cars in under a year makes my premiums expensive as fuck

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]
T-boned a 68 Mercury with a CRX. It was a brutal impact. Lady pulled out of a church parking lot without seeing me. Glad we both walked away.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#17]
2, none as the driver.

Also my mom total lossed my car when I was 16, my dad total lossed my truck when I was 18.  I was not with them at the time of those wrecks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
38 years old.  5 or 6.  One was my fault.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#19]
A bunch.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Zero as a driver. Two as a passenger, both were just bumps.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#21]
You mean besides the dozen or so deer my bumper and hood have smoked over the years? That would be zero.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#22]
16 years of driving 0 accidents.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#23]
2 high speed car, 2 high speed motorcycle, 2 falls from over 15ft. You begin to feel it as you get older that's for sure.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Had a drunk chick back into me last year...glancing blow..just enough to rub a few inches of paint....that's it in 34 years
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Nothing with more than $1,000 worth of damage, and nothing in the last 30 years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#26]
One good one

With my wife travelling south bound on 169 and exiting 71st street in Tulsa.  My then girlfriend, now wife, was tailgating a van in the rain.  Van switched out of the right lane and she locked it up and slid into the back of a parked car on the highway at 60ish mph

I can remember clearly my brain saying "You're going to die".  I can remember every single thing through the skid.  She hit the car hard enough that it hit 5 stopped cars on the highway, on the exit ramp.  Her car was a total, the car in front of us was a total.

The next thing I remember was a guy opening her car door and he was telling her to get out so they could start cutting the car away on my side.  I could hear my wife saying "he's fine, he's fine, he's fine."  I started telling him and her to get off the highway because it wasn't safe to be on a highway.  The gentleman said, "You're not in a lane, you're safe" and he was an EMT.

It's become a fun family joke when my wife rags on me for my driving.  "Raise your hand if you haven't almost killed someone in a car."  

Many parking lot accidents, it's amazing how many soccer moms seem to want to put their front plate through my ball hitch.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#27]
4 total (driving for 27 years). Two in my personal and two while on duty. Zero injuries.

J-
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#28]
All of mine have been as a passenger and its been 3 my whole life (28 years)
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had a license for 37 years, had one accident.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#30]
None
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#31]
4.  One my my falut.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm 41, been in four.

First was a guy decided to make a left hand/U-turn from the right hand lane right into me, guy was a traffic safety inspector.

Second a drunk crossed the line and hit me head on on a state highway, that one herniated a couple discs and ended my military career and a lot of my dreams.

Third was the only one where I was at fault, took a corner too fast in my old powerwagon, brakes were iffy, was wet, slid into a ditch and mangled the front corner.

Fourth I was parked in my girlfriends (now wife) parking lot listening to the radio because I was early for our dinner date (she was cooking) and some idiot with his garbage piled on his hood to run it to the dumpster runs into my trailer hitch so hard it pushed the bed into the cab on. the drivers side.

It's been about fifteen years since the last one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:27:19 AM EDT
[#33]
31 yo, two, neither my fault.  One was when my car was parked and I wasn't even in it.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#34]
3 as a passenger.

7 as a driver (I might be forgetting a couple).

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#35]
0 car accidents

and I'm almost 30.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#36]
One.  Single car accident, being an idiot in snowy/icy weather.

ETA:  Not really an accident, more like karma.  (no one hurt except,t pride and my Jeep)
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Personal vehicles? None

Work vehicles? More than my share...at least six, maybe more..
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Some of you guys are lucky

Forgot I also had a hit and run on my Lexus a year after buying it. Somebody damaged both passenger doors and the front and rear bumper covers

I wasn't in the car at the time though, still don't know where it happened. Luckily insurance covered the almost $3k in damage
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:46:12 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm 40, been driving since I was 17. I've been 'involved' in 1, and by involved I mean i was a passenger in the rear seat of a car taking a nap on the way home from the movies when the NY driver tried a NY lane change....in So Cal.  

Never even really been close as a driver. I drive as little as possible and watch the fuck out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:46:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Lots
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Three in my life, one as a passenger and two where the other vehicle ran a red light. 2016 makes 40 years of driving for me.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#42]
3 while driving, and 1 as passenger.  None were bad.  1 was my fault, driving in New Orleans and didn't see red light(they were on side of street instead of hanging across street) and bumped into a car.  Minor scratches on them and bent bumper on mine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#43]
At 21 I clipped a telephone pole when leaving a parking lot to avoid a car who switched two lanes. Company truck, no contact with anyone else, no fault per PD.
This was US-17 in North Myrtle Beach where the telephone poles are within one foot of the curb (this one was about six inches as I remember).

Last fall (now 41) a guy hit the back of my pickup.  He fled, witness said his car was fucked up over $5000 worth.  I had a chip on the trailer hitch cover, although it might have been that way before.

As a passenger at 14, my mother hit a parked semi on I-95 in NJ going full speed. Her head was hair-bloody meat-body.  She had every tooth knocked out but one.  Got my only helicopter ride that day.

I had no injuries because I was sleeping with my sleep reclined.  If I had been sitting up, the hood wood have cut my head off.

At least I would have died debt free
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I have been in one as a passenger. My friend in his 80's s10 rear ended a brand spanking new Porsche 911 the guy had just got that day and it was some special edition with some special paint job...very limited apparently. Did around 30k in damage to the Porsche but the insurance still didn't total it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#45]
4. All minor, with the worst ones resulting in a dented rear hatch and busted taillight. None my fault and once my driver's. Pay attention at traffic lights and stop signs, dammit.

ETA: 5, I suppose - my fault. A friend's house has a dividing fence between his and the neighbor's driveway that lead to their backyards. I was coming in, his dad was coming out, so I backed out and barely clipped the end piece with maybe 1/8" of the passenger side mirror.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#46]
22 years old

1. Rear ended
2. rear ended and pushed into another car.
3. Rear ended. ( totaled)
4. Hit a deer (totaled)
5. Hit a deer
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:03:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Less than 5 total.  I was the driver for most of them.

Totalled my mom's Lexus at 16.  Scratches and bruises.

Totalled my blazer years later.  Lost my nose in this one...  True story.  Airbags failed to deploy.  You have to be looking for the scars since they follow my face lines so well, but you can tell if you look closely.  Thank God for modern plastic surgery techniques.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#48]
5-6
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#49]
I have been involved in three collisions with cars on my motorcycle with the first being in 1968 and the last one in 1991.
I have been involved in five collisions inside of a motor vehicle of which I was the driver in three of those.
The last one of those was in 2009.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:10:07 AM EDT
[#50]
In order of occurrence:

Sideswiped a pole at a gas station in a 1985 Toyota van (started the turn too early). Probably had my license about a week.

Head on collision with another identical Toyota van (other guy ran a red light as I was making a left). I was delivering a pizza at the time. The customer didn't get his pizza in 30 minutes or less. I also ate his pizza, while waiting for the cops to show up. It was good.

A very attractive young woman in a Mazda 626 buried the front of her car into the trailer hitch of my '68 F100, while I was at a light. She said "If I have one more accident, I will lose my license. I will do ANYTHING...anything to avoid having the cops come out". She's lucky I wasn't single at the time. Anyway, she had a hole in the front of her car, and I had some red paint on my trailer hitch. I figured she suffered enough.

Dumped a motorcycle at 70mph. Dude on my right didn't see me and merged into my lane (I was in the left lane). I was kinda hanging in his blind spot, so this one is partially on me. I ended up in the median. That was painful. Declined the ambulance ride to the hospital, and got one of the responding highway patrolmen to give me a lift instead (it was the end of his shift). Much cheaper. As he was pulling away, he slammed on the brakes, looked at me and said "I know you're sore, but would you mind putting your seatbelt on?" I said "Why, who's gonna pull us over?". He didn't think that was as funny as I did.

Dumped the same motorcycle while doing burnouts in the driveway of the shop that built it (and repaired it after the first wreck). That was...embarrassing. I had an audience.

Dumped the same motorcycle again while making a hard almost 90 degree left on a country road at night. Didn't see the pile of gravel in the road. I was about a half-mile from the house. That was...less embarrassing. A Sheriff's deputy that was driving by stopped and helped me push the bike the rest of the way home. Nice guy.

I no longer own the motorcycle.

A snow plow clipped the hell out of my MX-5 in an AutoZone parking lot. The company owner paid the body shop that fixed my car in cash, to avoid having any insurance companies involved. Worked for me. I also found a new favorite body shop, because the man who fixed my car was a God damned artist. It was better than before it got hit.

That's about the sum total of them, not counting off-road adventures in my Jeep.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top