Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That's some fuxked up shit right there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
For those that have had kids, it's a very minor surgery with little to no blood. The news is making it a big deal, but the family will get a nice six figure settlement out of it.

And the kid will have a Gene Simmons sized tongue
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Well that voluminous article answered all my questions.  

One would think this is the kind of thing that a surgeon would say "Man that looks like a normal healthy tongue, not at all like the one I examined yesterday."
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
No big deal, 'Tongue Tied' is what it's called.
Now the poor kid may never eat or talk right?
If I were the parent, I'd be mad, but it's not like a circumcision and they cut his whole thing off.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I assisted when the Dr did it to my son. no biggie, but a major medical faux pas that will cause money to exchange hands.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#8]
when my son was born, he was not out of my sight for the first few days...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Not the worst mistake that could happen. Seems like the parents are blowing it way out of proportion to secure a fat payday.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those that have had kids, it's a very minor surgery with little to no blood. The news is making it a big deal, but the family will get a nice six figure settlement out of it.  

And the kid will have a Gene Simmons sized tongue
View Quote

It is a big deal.  Would you be fine finding out your kid is being operated on without your consent or knowledge?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
No excuse but "Nate’s parents fear that he may have speech or eating problems in the future as a result of the mistake, according to CBS"

They do the procedure to relieve tethered tongue and prevent the problems "the parents fear".

Mom and Dad looking for a pay day off their kid
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If they breastfeed they might be better off.

Neither of our children left our eyes for the first week or so.

Unacceptable none the less.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Surgery is very loosely used here

look up frenulectomy if you are curious. basically a cut is what that "surgery" is. Still not a good move by the doc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]
i don't get it. when my mom went for carpal tunnel surgery they asked her like 5 times which hand was to be done and if she knew she was having surgery. they even told her to mark her to mark the hand that was to be operated on.    So did they mix up babies or did they mis diagnose the need for the surgery?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I want to get that done to me as an adult

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much how it was for me for all three of my kids.  If the nurses took the kid out of our room for some little check or whatever I went with them.  Keeping eyes on the baby was the only thing that got me to leave mama alone.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Drama bs to the max.

Chances are, if he was able to do the 'surgery', this kid needed it in addition to the other kid.

About as invasive as clipping a hangnail

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm surprised by all the people pretending that they'd be fine with unauthorized medical procedures being performed on their children, like they're trying to impress each other on who would be the most cool about it.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm surprised by all the people pretending that they'd be fine with unauthorized medical procedures being performed on their children, like they're trying to impress each other on who would be the most cool about it.  
View Quote

Wouldn't be fine with it but it's as minor of a procedure that you can still call a "surgery."

For example, my nephew has like 7 tongue ties. 7. Still alive. Has only had a few of them cut.

My friends family growing up had a bunch of kids with tongue ties, their dad would cut them with nail clippers while they were young.

It's not a big deal. Gimme a $XX,XXX.XX settlement and I'll forget it happened.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't say I would be cool about it but I also wouldn't go running to the media or a lawyer about it either.

There is some added outrage by the parents too I'm sure in interest of a monetary settlement.

Did you consent to the heel stick, antibiotic ointment in their eyes, genetic testing and I'm sure a litany of other shit that happened to your newborn that you probably weren't even aware happened? Did you take the placenta home as well?

As I said, no excuse, yes I would be pissed but come on. Do you really think THEY think it will cause any issues with feeding or speech?

Shit, my youngest had in done in the pediatrician's office to IMPROVE his feeding!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i don't get it. when my mom went for carpal tunnel surgery they asked her like 5 times which hand was to be done and if she knew she was having surgery. they even told her to mark her to mark the hand that was to be operated on.    So did they mix up babies or did they mis diagnose the need for the surgery?
View Quote

They tried asking the baby but he couldn't answer so they just thought he was tongue tied and bam, diagnosis made
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, both my girls, never left my sight until they were safe at home.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#23]
if it was noticeable by the surgeon, it would probably have been necessary down the road.

Obviously the mixup isn't acceptable, but it's not like they amputated a limb.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#24]
You guys are some uptight new dads!

My oldest was born at 27 weeks and the doctors and nurses were busy doing their things and I was busy worrying like all hell as they whisked him away to do what they had to do. I saw him ever so briefly until I got to see him again probably an hour and a half later.

They didn't molest him or switch him with a brown baby or something for God's sake!

They have a job to do, let them do it. Not in this case obviously but geesh.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Time out!!!!!
View Quote

No shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top