Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 8:10:00 PM EDT
I want to get a DSA Carbine. What is the recoil like without the comp? How much velocity/reduction in muzzle flash, will the 18" barrel get me? Thanx
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the 18" you get about 75 to 100 fps more than the 16.I wouldnt get the comp.too loud,raises dust.Iwas standing to the side of my friens(16-comp) at about 12 feet.It almost blew my hat off.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no ballistics expert, but I've heard that the .308 needs at least 17" of barrel to achieve optimal performance. Or is this another "urban legend"?

Of course, I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of a 16" .308 either.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with an 18" no comp as well.  The old Para FALs and later SAR-48 Bush rifles (both 18.5") handled just about perfect to me.  I think 16" would be handy as well, but you're looking at alot of noise and flash.  That .308 is a big case full of powder.  I'd rather burn the powder up in the barrel, than outside it.

Ross
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I think 16 or 18 depends on what you want it for.  I have an StG-58 with the 16, and am quite happy with it.
Oh yeah, and I have one of those "zero climb" brakes on it. Noisy.[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I want to get a DSA Carbine. What is the recoil like without the comp? How much velocity/reduction in muzzle flash, will the 18" barrel get me? Thanx
View Quote

I have a limited edition light weight carbine that's 16". It has a muzzle brake as well. I absolutely LOVE this gun. It's no longer than a post-ban AR carbine and shoots extremely well. Recoil is a non-issue and the rifle punches big holes through anything it's aimed at.

That's all I wanted it to do and it does it extremely well. One of the nicest rifles I have ever seen.......thank god I own it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you get an SA58 without a comp?

On their US-made barrels, the comp is part of the barrel, not an addition.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the 18" bbl and the muz brake, looks and handles well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
DSA does not offer an 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

DSA offers an STG58 congo/carbine barrel $125.00, I guess if you want the 18" barrel without the comp you could ask them to cut down a full size barrel, since the 18" barrel is threaded it would be "illegal"(?) without a permanatly attached muzzle device. My guess is SA58 carbine, one piece bbl/muzzle device or STG58A kit carbine with a full size barrel cut down to 18"/no muzzle device. I've dealt with these guys (John) at length.
there seems to be nothing John wont do to keep a customer happy
I love these guys and their guns/ beautiful workmanship
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
18"/no comp.
Ask the guy to do it for you.  Maybe they'll offer it as a factory option, no charge (there's always a glimmer of hope.)
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
18"/no comp.
Ask the guy to do it for you.  Maybe they'll offer it as a factory option, no charge (there's always a glimmer of hope.)
View Quote

I was at their place last week for two hours talking to the production mgr. I am almost positive he will do just about anything for "the customer". these guys are great. he showed me their whole line of stuff, Man, I had to drag my tongue across the parking lot to the car. they barreled and headspaced my Imbel group buy kit with a STG carbine barrel with the light weight muzzle brake. very nice work and looks GOOD.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What I meant is that it is not normally offered on their STG-58A.Maybe they've changed? Originally I wanted an 18" and they told me they were not making them in 18" and if I wanted one I would have to buy the congo/carbine barrel for the additional $125. I went with the shortened 16" barrel for $50 instead.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I read an article once about sporterizing an old Mauser.  The guy HACKsawed the bbl. to the desired length, and then filed it smooth.  Next, he used a .45 bullet in a drill to get the crown smoothed out.
It worked...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top