[#1]

Me too

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
¿Qué?  No entiendo lo que ha dicho.
View Quote

Dijo que a él no le gusta oir otras idiomas y siente malo de personas mas inteligente que él.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Tried it. Started going to class in the evening. After a long work day, no shower, no dinner. After a few weeks of that, I'd had a gutful.

Found another solution:
-I don't hire them.
-I don't hire subs who hire them.
-I don't rent to them.

Somebody wants to pay me to learn third world languages, I'll get right to it.

FYI, I made an effort to learn enough Nepali to communicate with them when I'm there. It's THEIR country, and all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You/we have become used to English being somewhat universal.

Knowing other languages opens opportunities.

Learn spanish.

Tried it. Started going to class in the evening. After a long work day, no shower, no dinner. After a few weeks of that, I'd had a gutful.

Found another solution:
-I don't hire them.
-I don't rent to them.

FYI, I made an effort to learn enough Nepali to communicate with them when I'm there. It's THEIR country, and all.

So you're a business owner and landlord admitting to discrimination based on ethnicity?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now you understand why Europeans get annoyed when American tourists speak loudly in English.

I say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you can't speak the local language, just try to be quiet.
View Quote

When I go to Europe it's to buy European things to bring back to America.  I'm their customer.  They can accommodate my inability to speak their language.

If I were going there to live and work, I wouldn't expect for 1 second to be accommodated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why should I?

I do not live in El Salvador or Mexico.

The arrogant fucks who come here illegally expect me to bow to their culture and language?

I do not fucking see that happening.

Speak English or get the fuck out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn spanish.

Why should I?

The arrogant fucks who come here illegally expect me to bow to their culture and language?

You know, not only illegals speak Spanish, but keep waving that flag Hoss.

I doubt very much that people want to speak to you that much anyway.

In Spanish there's a saying, "Métete en tus cosas," which loosely translates to MYOFB.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why should I?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Learn spanish.

Why should I?

Puerto Rico is part of the US Mr. Bigot.

Spanish is spoken there.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now you understand why Europeans get annoyed when American tourists speak loudly in English.

I say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you can't speak the local language, just try to be quiet.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You have no right to be free from being annoyed or offended.  People can fucking speak Klingon if they want to.  MYOB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rant over.  I know, 1/10.

You have no right to be free from being annoyed or offended.  People can fucking speak Klingon if they want to.  MYOB.

See this is the problem.  You only got this half fucking right.  He doesnt have to mind his own business. Pehaps he shouldnt waste his time, but just like folks have the 100% right to annoy him, he has the equal right to express his annoyance.  

Im fucking sick of the one way street that we call freedom these days.  

BTW OP most English speakers are not made in the UK anymore.  DO you mean English branded speakers, or are you talking honest to goodness made in the UK speakers.   I do agree though I love to see a nice Pair of B&W or Celestion Speakers in public.  However I believe you have to go vintage for speakers made in the UK.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Me too

View Quote

Me three
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

lol, fuck europe.  If I'm talking to other English-speakers and I happen to be in France why should I give a fuck what other people can't understand?

Likewise if I'm talking to someone to whom Spanish is easier to understand, why should I give a fuck if some blowhard thinks I should accommodate his delicate sensibilities?

It's not even xenophobic, it's a fear of knowledge. All I can do is laugh at rubes who agree with these two.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you're a business owner and landlord admitting to discrimination based on ethnicity?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn spanish.

Found another solution:
-I don't hire them.
-I don't rent to them.

Nope, I would NEVER break the law (unlike the 20 million Mexican illegals who strut around this country ignoring any law that gets in their way).

I'm just trying to run a safe job site. And I want to be able to communicate with my renters.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Spanish is spoken there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Learn spanish.

Why should I?

Spanish is spoken there.
Like I said, ever been to AZ?  Ever walk in a store and listen to others speak in another language you don't recognize?

Might want to reconsider that statement.  

Code talkers and shit.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
lol, fuck europe.  If I'm talking to other English-speakers and I happen to be in France why should I give a fuck what other people can't understand?

Likewise if I'm talking to someone to whom Spanish is easier to understand, why should I give a fuck if some blowhard thinks I should accommodate his delicate sensibilities?

It's not even xenophobic, it's a fear of knowledge. All I can do is laugh at rubes who agree with these two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Bingo.

Speak any language you feel the most comfortable in.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

See this is the problem.  You only got this half fucking right.  He doesnt have to mind his own business. Pehaps he shouldnt waste his time, but just like folks have the 100% right to annoy him, he has the equal right to express his annoyance.  

BTW OP most English speakers are not made in the UK anymore.  DO you mean English branded speakers, or are you talking honest to goodness made in the UK speakers.   I do agree though I love to see a nice Pair of B&W or Celestion Speakers in public.  However I believe you have to go vintage for speakers made in the UK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay amigo, you have the right to come up to me and say "Hurr ah cain't understand yew, yall should speak ainglish."

And I have every right to tell you, "You're a fucking retard, getting mad because you're ignorant. GTFO my face, Jack."

And then rake in the YouTube views from the hilarity to ensue.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#15]
An operator at work the other day asked if I spoke Spanish, then said "ah come on man" when I told him I did not. Because I'm the one who should be learning his language.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
An operator at work the other day asked if I spoke Spanish, then said "ah come on man" when I told him I did not. Because I'm the one who should be learning his language.

View Quote

And this is the flip side.

If you primarily speak a foreign language, and take a job where it is critical to be able to communicate with the predominant language,  aprenden ese mugrero cabrones. Learn that shit, fuckers.

Next time tell him,"Que 'come on' ni que mis huevos. Aprende el Ingles, wey, y hablame como un hombre."
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#17]
america is the land of the free.  if you don't speak english it's fine.  only the ignorant and entitled get mad about it
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
america is the land of the free.  if you don't speak english it's fine.  only the ignorant and entitled get mad about it
View Quote

This. Speak whatever lingo you please. But, if you want me to hire you, or rent to you, gotta speaka de englis.

But, don't get depressed, amigo. You can collect welfare, EBT, get free health care, etc,, without word one of English.

And don't bother yourself about our racist laws. They're "broken".

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Dijo que a él no le gusta oir otras idiomas y siente malo de personas mas inteligente que él.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

¿Qué?  No entiendo lo que ha dicho.

Ahh.  Gracias.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your problem is Cali.....I mean Mexifornia. Foreign country.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm not surprised by all of the insecure mouth breathers in this thread at all.
View Quote

Who are he mouth breathers and what, precisely, does this insecurity stem from?

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stay away from college campuses OP.

On a given day I might hear Spanish, Arabic, Cantonese, Japanese, and Hindi. I swore I heard Farsi last week, which is kinda odd because IIRC we don't have any Iranian students. Maybe some from Bahrain?
View Quote

Colleges make more money from foreign student admission.

Again, America for everyone and Americans last.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
New America?  

So all the German spoken in American Towns prior to WWII didn't happen? All of the newspapers, businesses, etc didn't happen?

LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. New America rejects assimilation. Do not question the status quo.

New America has welfare helplines in 50 languages. That is true assimilation, now.
New America?  

So all the German spoken in American Towns prior to WWII didn't happen? All of the newspapers, businesses, etc didn't happen?

LOL

I always love arguing with you! You always have good points.

I know more than a few people - in their 80's now - who attended actual German public schools here in Chicago. I forget which ones, exactly.

Still, my overall point stands as we both know times were very different then, as were expectations in public life, scholastics, etc.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I occasionally use other languages interchangeably with English. Nothing like a conversation or anything, just phrases and numbers here and there.

Was jetzt
Uno mas
Etc, etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Says the guy from Illinois that had and to a degree still has huge concentrations of Polish speakers refusing to learn English.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/Polish_Americans_in_the_US.pdf/page1-1650px-Polish_Americans_in_the_US.pdf.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, stay out of Miami.....English is barely spoken and often, if you don't speak spanish, you're out of luck ordering food, etc...

And in areas where English is barely spoken the food is generally better.

And crime rates are significantly higher.

And graduation rates are significantly lower.

And welfare is the norm.
Says the guy from Illinois that had and to a degree still has huge concentrations of Polish speakers refusing to learn English.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/Polish_Americans_in_the_US.pdf/page1-1650px-Polish_Americans_in_the_US.pdf.jpg

We probably have the highest concentration, really? Romanians, too?

Still, I have yet to meet any Pole who is not straight off the plane who cannot speak English. While I am biased towards Eastern Europeans and Cubans they should still all be deported immediately if they are illegal. And, they should be rebuked for refusal to partake in the melting pot.

As a side note, there is little crime in polish neighborhoods. Education is embraced. I can't speak to welfare but I figure they are on it. And most are illegal, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree.  Wasn't born here but my English is better than most people because I STUDIED, LEARNED, and ADAPTED to my American home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know right! Let's force everyone to only speak English amongst themselves. We can't let people choose what language to speak.

To the gulag work camps, all of them!

I agree.  Wasn't born here but my English is better than most people because I STUDIED, LEARNED, and ADAPTED to my American home.

God bless you for that.

All in my family did the same.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm TOTALLY secure. I'm living on a million dollar property in Jackson Hole.

I have jobs to fill. I have rentals.

TALK to me, amigo!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sanctimonious much?  It ain't your country more than it is mine, yankee doodle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's as simple as being gracious to your hosts that have taken you in.

Sanctimonious much?  It ain't your country more than it is mine, yankee doodle.

As you at an ARFcommer, and it follows that you are a right winger, classic liberal or republican - then yes. You are correct.

Of course, you can now feel free to set aside your acrimony(!) and extend that position to millions of illiterate illegals, Muslim separatists and Africans who have never seen a working toilet prior to being imported, on our dime.

It's just as much theirs, too!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn spanish.

Found another solution:
-I don't hire them.
-I don't rent to them.

What a terrible crime in modern America!

Only .gov has the right to decide who will be allowed to partake of his property!

I would contact the Diversity Police, personally.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Like I said, ever been to AZ?  Ever walk in a store and listen to others speak in another language you don't recognize?

https://donmooreswartales.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/navajo-code-talker-pic-1.jpg

Code talkers and shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn spanish.

Why should I?

Spanish is spoken there.

https://donmooreswartales.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/navajo-code-talker-pic-1.jpg

Code talkers and shit.

Code talkers have a long and storied history of resisting assimilation.

Or, maybe not?

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Okay amigo, you have the right to come up to me and say "Hurr ah cain't understand yew, yall should speak ainglish."

And I have every right to tell you, "You're a fucking retard, getting mad because you're ignorant. GTFO my face, Jack."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes. Because the traditional, Eurocentric waspy culture in this nation has always been so quick to embrace the "Deliverance" types.

No offense to our "deliverance" type members here.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Entitled to what?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everywhere, now.

When a failed culture is allowed full, no strings attached, unfettered access to one that is much preferable - they show up. En masse.

Learn Spanish today! Wipe your ass with your hand tomorrow, bigots!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
This. Speak whatever lingo you please. But, if you want me to hire you, or rent to you, gotta speaka de englis.

But, don't get depressed, amigo. You can collect welfare, EBT, get free health care, etc,, without word one of English.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I speak green.... money talks in all languages. In this day and age especially; if I don't speak the lingo.... the intrawebz can help.

English is my second language as it is for my wife. We primarily speak Spanish at home. For her, Spanish is much easier. She still makes more than me and the university system loves her and keeps paying her more and more.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

TALK to me, amigo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TALK to me, amigo!

Great!

I Am so excited to tell you that my wife and kids they are moving in with you! They are a good looking bunch. Strong backs, too!

Mouthy, though.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Everywhere, now.

When a failed culture is allowed full, no strings attached, unfettered access to one that is much preferable - they show up. En masse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everywhere, now.

Difference is, I can still find people here who can speak English for jobs and rentals.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#38]
It's a bit irrelevent. Look at the demographic shift of California in the past 35 years. "Comprehensive immigration reform" is going to happen,sorry, and the face of the US in another 35  years will be considerably different than it is now.  Immigration,birth rates and reluctance to assimilate into what has passed for American culture are going to see to it that the America of 2050 is a very different place. Your grandchildren will very likely be truly bilingual.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's a bit irrelevent. Look at the demographic shift of California in the past 35 years. "Comprehensive immigration reform" is going to happen,sorry, and the face of the US in another 35  years will be considerably different than it is now.  Immigration,birth rates and reluctance to assimilate into what has passed for American culture are going to see to it that the America of 2050 is a very different place. Your grandchildren will very likely be truly bilingual.
View Quote

And poorer. And less free.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well,yes,I think that is almost certainly going to be the case.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I really don't give a damn what they choose to speak. I would prefer that they were able to speak English as well though, but even that only extends to people who live here. Just visiting? I don't see the need to bother learning much English.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Spanish is spoken there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Learn spanish.

Why should I?

Spanish is spoken there.

When I've been in PR (six times) I do my best to speak Spanish.  And I was just visiting.

If people, yes Puerto Ricans too, come to the US (you know what I mean) to live.  They should speak English as a matter of course.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#43]
for what it's worth, it's threads like these that make me feel unwelcome here.

not because i disagree with the "english is the language here" narrative but because some seem to be using "spanish speaker" and "illegal alien" interchangeably.

my grandfather was a proud man. he came here legally and worked just so he could support his family back who werent fortunate enough to come here but also were tactful enough not to try coming here illegally.

he worked for every cent he had until old age rendered him unable, and even then he tried to keep going. he integrated to the best of his ability, respected the culture, and proudly flew the american flag.

maybe he didnt speak english very well. maybe he could be short tempered or stubborn sometimes. but he was one of the most honorable men ive ever known and by my own definition a great American.

i'm not offended like some yuppy white inner city liberal bitch would be  i just think some of you have a deeper issue with hispanics than you realize and for your sake you should work on that. always being one remark away from stroking out cant be good for your health.

of course i also need to remind myself that there are also a lot of people here who don't hold narrow minded beliefs about race and that I've met a lot of good folks here. great folks, actually.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I know more than a few people - in their 80's now - who attended actual German public schools here in Chicago. I forget which ones, exactly.

Still, my overall point stands as we both know times were very different then, as were expectations in public life, scholastics, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. New America rejects assimilation. Do not question the status quo.

New America has welfare helplines in 50 languages. That is true assimilation, now.
New America?  

LOL

How is it any different? Their children learned English and assimilated. Same is happening with Spanish Speakers from other countries.

My grandparents didn't speak English. My parents do and I do. It is the way immigration works.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone not speaking the Common Tongue in public is up to something and the FBI should be called because "See Something, Say Something".  
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

my grandfather was a proud man. he came here legally and worked just so he could support his family back who werent fortunate enough to come here but also were tactful enough not to try coming here illegally.

he worked for every cent he had until old age rendered him unable, and even then he tried to keep going. he integrated to the best of his ability, respected the culture, and proudly flew the american flag.

maybe he didnt speak english very well. maybe he could be short tempered or stubborn sometimes. but he was one of the most honorable men ive ever known and by my own definition a great American.

View Quote

Anyone who would ever look down on a man who came here legally, worked and made an effort to integrate is beneath contempt.

Many of us have family members who don't speak English well. What is important is the respect that their effort showed.

Your grandfather sounds like a good man.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#47]
No te preocupes.   No estamos hablando de ti.

Bueno, si, estamos hablando de ti.

Old joke... speak three languages, you're trilingual, speak two languages, you're bilingual, speak one language, you're American.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I've heard plenty of people talking other languages in public and have never given it a second thought.  I guess I've never been nosy enough to want to hear others' conversations or paranoid enough to think they were talking about me for some reason.  

Some of you guy just need to get laid or something methinks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How is it any different? Their children learned English and assimilated. Same is happening with Spanish Speakers from other countries.    

My grandparents didn't speak English. My parents do and I do. It is the way immigration works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not wrong, Miami. Integration is happening. Everywhere. My friend who speaks a little English after 30+ years has a son with purple hair who talks all sorts of emo goth psychobabble bullshit and watches anime, etc. he is totally indistinguishable from all the white WASPy kids in suburbia. Her sister, who was probably the hottest thing ever to touch soil in Mexico speaks no English. Zero. I usually speak to her, for obvious reasons () in my pathetic get along Mexican Spanish. But, obviously, they don't even need to learn English. To me, that is at a very different level today than it once was.

Expectations were significantly higher for immigrants of the past. Expectations were much higher in general. Most importantly, we had an actual immigration system back then that fostered integration and worked towards that end. Integration and the advancement of Americanism are now deemed quaint, offensive, unjust, etc. that's the issue here. Languages that folks speak just a by product of it. And the fact that the border has been open for years has brought focus to it.

Most importantly, if you could see how children in our public "minority-majority" schools are treated today you would shit yourself to death.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Some of you guy just need to get laid or something methinks.
View Quote

And your suggestion for those of us who are married is....?  

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top