Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2016 7:31:33 PM EDT
My sister sent me a "State Law Enforcement Supervisors Association" safety card.  She is a sworn officer and mid level supervisor in her department.

The state she works in is on the opposite coast.

Should I bother carrying this card? Will it get me any slack with local LE?  I don't drive like an ass and haven't gotten a ticket in years, but you never know.

Ben
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My sister sent me a "State Law Enforcement Supervisors Association" safety card.  She is a sworn officer and mid level supervisor in her department.

The state she works in is on the opposite coast.

Should I bother carrying this card? Will it get me any slack with local LE?  I don't drive like an ass and haven't gotten a ticket in years, but you never know.

Ben
View Quote

This thread should be twenty pages by now. GD loves cop threads.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a cheap nylon wallet with a picture window
Place card in window
Make extreme show of opening said wallet every time you pay for something so that the person has no choice but to see it
Enjoy police discount, officer!

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You should flash it for discounts everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a cheap nylon wallet with a picture window
Place card in window
Make extreme show of opening said wallet every time you pay for something so that the person has no choice but to see it
Enjoy police discount, officer!

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Business card with her cell on back. That is all.

Someone looking out for family is normal.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you going to present this card when you're stopped?  Hell, I have a badge and don't present it, but I sure hope they see it when I go for my license.

Anyway, it will not matter and presenting might be interpreted as a douche move depending on the cop.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
What does bowling have to do with it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tried to quote your original reply. You changed it too fast.

I was going to ask you to explain what you meant..
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Anyway, it will not matter and presenting might be interpreted as a douche move depending on the cop.
View Quote

That's what I thought.

So what's the point of her sending it to me?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are you going to present this card when you're stopped?  Hell, I have a badge and don't present it, but I sure hope they see it when I go for my license.

View Quote

This, trying to name drop or exert some kind of professional courtesy is an automatic ticket from me. And I don't really write tickets unless it's a real safety concern like running me off the road or something.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, it will not matter and presenting it will be a douche move.
http://www.dealdashreviewed.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/tommy-lee-jones.gif

I really don't.  They almost always notice it though when I get my license out.  I am not going to pull the hey I am a cop, let me go routine. I think that is rude and presumptuous and more likely to get me a ticket.  If they want to give me a break, it is up to them.  I am not going to ask for one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thing is this, looking out for family is one thing.  These little "trinkets" for family to show are silly.  Look at New Jersey cops, they literally put golden trophies with 3 suction cups in the front windshields of their family members vehicles.  And the family members make an effort to point it out when stopped.

If you get stopped, professional courtesy starts with the driver being stopped.  But if you slide the card out and say, "does this make a difference?"  It may not go over so well.  I can only speak for my area, mot cops won't write a cop's family member up unless it's something more serious than an infraction.  But the thin blue line stickers and other shit has become so abused, it's out of control.

I stopped a kid one night with all kinds of violations, dead tags, dead registration, moving violations, etc.  I ask why he has a blue line on the car.  His response, "My girlfriend's dad is a defense intelligence contractor."  The sheer amount of "I'm associated with..." shit needs to stop.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#16]
What is it, some sort of get out of jail free card?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Most cards are a waste.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is it, some sort of get out of jail free card?
Most cards are a waste.

Pretty much unless you're being stopped by someone from the same department. Even then I only saw them work in the Northeast. I only honored ones from my PBA, all others got tickets.
One S.O. in upstate NY honored mine when they stopped my ex though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#21]
A tin is a must to avoid the bust.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#23]
If I were a cop and you showed that to me, I'd be more likely to give you a ticket.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#25]
My father has used his several times, works in Ohio I guess.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got a brass card my BIL gave me. Never used it. Then again, I can't remember the last time I was actually pulled over.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

I just said I didn't or are you calling me a liar?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I guess it must be regional, a lot of police post stuff here that sounds like complete nonsense, but you hear it enough that there must be differences based on where you live. I cannot picture a police officer around here not telling someone that on a traffic stop, even corrections officers usually get away with stuff although they have to be careful how they handle i  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

I guess it must be regional, a lot of police post stuff here that sounds like complete nonsense, but you hear it enough that there must be differences based on where you live. I cannot picture a police officer around here not telling someone that on a traffic stop, even corrections officers usually get away with stuff although they have to be careful how they handle i  

It must be because when I hear the stories about the NYPD for example, I was shocked at first because it doesn't even begin to describe my experiences down here.  Most agencies here are not union either and I think that leads to different attitudes and approaches in LE.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

I guess you can take it however you'd like - I would point out you basically said you flash your badge when showing your dl so you're being coy, cute or whatever...

I have no doubt you share your profession - whether or not you flash your badge.  You know the drill.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I guess you can take it however you'd like - I would point out you basically said you flash your badge when showing your dl so you're being coy, cute or whatever...

I have no doubt you share your profession - whether or not you flash your badge.  You know the drill.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

Yea I stated that CLEARLY.  I have to open my wallet to get my license and I clearly said I hope they see it.  But I don't say hey I am a cop, give me a break.  I have been given a ticket as a cop, and I said nothing about it nor did I call him afterward to get a break.  So take your smarmy comment and stick it up your ass.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yea I stated that CLEARLY.  I have to open my wallet to get my license and I clearly said I hope they see it.  But I don't say hey I am a cop, give me a break.  I have been given a ticket as a cop, and I said nothing about it nor did I call him afterward to get a break.  So take your smarmy comment and stick it up your ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

Hit a nerve, I guess.

Oh and stick it up your ass, also, Ptl.

eta forgot smiley to make it all ok

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#34]
IBTL
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
IBTL
View Quote

I hope not.

Can we return to polite discussion?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#36]
YOU CAN"T LOCK THIS THREAD ARFCOM I PAY YOUR SALARY!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hit a nerve, I guess.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

Hit a nerve, I guess.

You can call me just about anything and I don't really care.  I have a pretty thick skin, but I don't like being called a liar because honesty in my job is very important to me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You can call me just about anything and I don't really care.  I have a pretty thick skin, but I don't like being called a liar because honesty in my job is very important to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hit a nerve, I guess.

My apologies, then.  But you should watch your phrasing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Lock avoided. Good motherfuckin' thing cause I know the Chief's brother.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not worth it - I generally like Citadel's posts and will take his word for it.  It doesn't happen that way in NEO, however.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No.

Your attitude is FAR more important.
View Quote

Not the case in NY/NJ.
Around there, it's all about the PBA card or the magic talisman you've got suction-cupped to your windshield. But then, it seems like every driver in the road in those two states is a complete douche, so maybe that's all they have to go off?

My work consolidated, bringing a bunch of NY/NJ jobs to my area. The random crap they have plastered to their windshields to ward off tickets would rival an African witchdoctor's trolling the village idiot.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It's not worth it - I generally like Citadel's posts and will take his word for it.  It doesn't happen that way in NEO, however.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be mad, bro.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My apologies, then.  But you should watch your phrasing.
View Quote

No problem man, sorry I got all pissy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Don't be mad, bro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be mad, bro.

I'll try to not have hurt feelz.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not the case in NY/NJ.
Around there, it's all about the PBA card.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Your attitude is FAR more important.

Not the case in NY/NJ.
Around there, it's all about the PBA card.

Kharn

Hell I don't even know what these cards are.  I know what the PBA is but no one talks about that stuff.  I am not even a member.  I have never heard of people pulling out PBA cards at stops, but I don't do traffic either.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#46]
So some have said that my PBA type card will only help if I'm dealing with an officer in the same department as my relative.  

I think if I got caught doing something by one of my sisters officers they might cut me less slack. After all I can't claim ignorance to the law. And, my sister would be pissed I was screwing up on her turf. And, I think she would not want to give the impression of using her influence unfairly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So some have said that my PBA type card will only help if I'm dealing with an officer in the same department as my relative.  

I think if I got caught doing something by one of my sisters officers they might cut me less slack. After all I can't claim ignorance to the law. And, my sister would be pissed I was screwing up on her turf. And, I think she would not want to give the impression of using her influence unfairly.
View Quote

Yes more than likely.  A lot of cops will give breaks to family members of cops they work with or who are somehow connected or close by agencies etc. You don't need a card for that. I don't think it is going to help you half way around the country though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, sure he doesn't.

You're getting called out.

popcorn.gif
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Fucking missed that boat...

...sail on!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#50]
If I get pulled over and I'm armed, I'm required by policy to tell the officer I'm a cop and armed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top