Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 10:37:33 PM EDT
How crazy would it be to open a gun store in today's day and age? I'm in west Tennessee. there are 2 other local stores both sell mostly bolt actions and shotguns with a few off brand ARs. One with fair prices the other is way over priced on everything including gun services. L&A firearms used to be up in Union city and they constantly had people in and out of the store. I would carry your basic long guns like the others but would also want to carry more AR-15s, few M1As, and pistols that's aren't common here now that L&A got shut down. I would also carry accessories, holster, ammo, optics, clothing. Any store owners out there that have some input. I here the money isn't made off of the new guns and I'm sure I would get some trade ins. Also figure I'd really work on my more advanced gunsmithing. Sorry not as organized as I should be just thinking out loud right now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
work for another gun store for 6  - 12 months first before considering opening your own
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
"I can buy that a lot cheaper on the Internet".
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
If I had skills, I would post some crime scene photos of that gun store shootout from last week....
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

work for another gun store for 6  - 12 months first before considering opening your own
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

I have sold all kinds of stuff

motorcycles , hobby stuff , cars etc

Gun people are a special breed

In the other businesses you'll get a noteworthy customer ( odd , crazy , unhinged, utterly full of shit  ,etc) maybe a couple times a year

In the gun biz it is a weekly and sometimes daily thing

Cheap too I have had guys drive 50 miles to save $1 on a pound of powder ( that we already had at cost as a loss leader )

It truly starts to weigh on you

and as always

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Now is NOT a good time to open a new store. ARs are harder to get, Glocks in short supply, LCP have been hard to get for a couple of months, AR uppers and lower and parts hard to get, PMags just now trickling back in, Ruger Precision Rifles are unobtanium. My store is 1.5 years old and I think I am going to be able to squeak in but I wouldn't dare try it now knowing the little bit I know.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

No in hell I'd open a B&M store...
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Like others have said, work for a GS first.

Clientele are akin to the clientele of a 24 hr. Peepshow at times.
Only difference is, everybody is armed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I have to respectfully disagree with AeroE, at least in my case. Reloading supplies, namely powder, is hard to get in any sustainable quantity. Guys will come in, see Varget and Unique on the shelf, and tell me how they can get it cheaper at places that haven't had it for years. As a whole, reloaders are a pretty thrifty bunch (cheap) and will nickel and dime you. If you don't have ever single thing they are looking for they think you don't have anything good. Again, this is just my experience.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The money is found in ammunition, accessories, and reloading supplies.  The new gun inventory can be held down to thirty or so.
A new shop just opened here.  It's hard to believe, they're just thick here.  The good news was the prices on reloading components, he's competitive with Graf's and only 8 or 10 miles away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The money is found in ammunition, accessories, and reloading supplies.  The new gun inventory can be held down to thirty or so.
A new shop just opened here.  It's hard to believe, they're just thick here.  The good news was the prices on reloading components, he's competitive with Graf's and only 8 or 10 miles away.
All of which are available cheaper online and shipped direct

hoping for the odd holster sale or 1 box of ammo sale doesn't justify the expense of a large assortment in stock  and no point in ordering as they can order it themselves cheaper and shipped faster with no sales tax
The current business models for many guys is now just be competitive with places like buds ( once ya figure in no transfer fee it isn't that hard to be there)

and go for volume on new guns
Hope for trade ins on your new inventory as well , but have to say our trade in business has really dwindled the last couple years

used to get 2-3 trades a day now maybe get that a week , I suspect  facebook and armslist have cut into that some
Quoted:

I have to respectfully disagree with AeroE, at least in my case.
Reloading supplies, namely powder, is hard to get in any sustainable
quantity. Guys will come in, see Varget and Unique on the shelf, and
tell me how they can get it cheaper at places that haven't had it for
years. As a whole, reloaders are a pretty thrifty bunch (cheap) and will
nickel and dime you. If you don't have ever single thing they are
looking for they think you don't have anything good. Again, this is just
my experience.

Yep I have had guys drive 50 miles to save $1 off powder we already had at cost for a loss leader

actually had a guy throw a brick of primers at me ( and told me to fucking choke on it ) because we were $2 higher than the chain store 25 miles away

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
<-- FFL
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Retail sucks, we don't do it, we're strictly services: gunsmithing, custom builds, refinishing/restoration, transfers, machine gun rentals, etc.  We'll do consignments or special orders occasionally but otherwise we don't carry inventory.

I hate to say it but the firearm industry has been decent the last few years because of fear-driven buying with 0bama in office.  If a Republican wins this November expect demand to fall off a cliff.  The current surge in suppressor and SBR demand will die off once 41P goes into effect this summer and trust transfers become more of a PITA.  Even if you applied for an FFL tomorrow you wouldn't get it for a few months, so you'd be starting your business right as the industry as a whole is about to take a massive dump.

That said, if you have lots of capital just laying around (think six figures worth) you could buy inventory from dealers having cash flow issues once the market craters.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Now is NOT a good time to open a new store. ARs are harder to get, Glocks in short supply, LCP have been hard to get for a couple of months, AR uppers and lower and parts hard to get, PMags just now trickling back in, Ruger Precision Rifles are unobtanium. My store is 1.5 years old and I think I am going to be able to squeak in but I wouldn't dare try it now knowing the little bit I know.
View Quote

Unrelated question please..... you list items like Glocks and ARs that are "hard to get"... is that because people are buying heavily or are the manufacturers producing fewer than they have in the past?  The volume of sales today versus say 2010 should give us insight into this question. Just curious
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]
LOFL!
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aside from a generally true statement, whats the point you're trying to make? No shortage of $20 Pmags around me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#16]
If I had money to burn, I think I would actually enjoy burning it more than using it to open a gun shop.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Depends on your competition and your focus
A local guy opened up a few years ago and has been successful, but his focus is 50/50 on gunsmithing, not just retail.
His main competition is box stores and table top guys like me, so as pretty much the only dedicated brick and mortar gunshop for miles around he is well situated.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:44:17 AM EDT
[#18]
With the responses in this thread a better question would be "Opening an online gun store?"
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:51:35 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want to piss away money give to me.  I promise to entertain you for 90 days.  That is more than you’ll get with a store of your own and I’ll save you money.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quality, trustworthy, dedicated, knowledgeable employees, Property and Liability insurance, rent, workmans comp, , local and internet competition, BATFE just to mention the tip of the melting iceberg. Fuck No.
Nope. It's a lonely road.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

With the responses in this thread a better question would be "Opening an online gun store?"
View Quote
Decent website is expensive

Being a home FFL and selling on gunbroker as a side in home job is a viable model if zoning and the ATF will let ya have a license
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top