Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2016 6:42:39 PM EDT
...whether or not to discard my text books from college.
I have been saving my text books, notebooks, completed assignments and other important school papers for the last 20 years.
I would gain about four feet of bedroom closed shelf space if I just got rid of it all.

Every time I get the urge to just throw it all away, I find myself thumbing through the books and notes, get sick of the thought of it all being gone. And then back into the closet it all goes.

Why I want to retain all of this printed and written mass is troublesome. I feel I will need to review should I have a new and better job opportunity. The texts are probably dated and technology has improved but the basic fundamentals they provide are valuable to me.
Textbooks are technical. Digital electronics, industrial electronics, motors and controls....etc....

Do colleges even used text books anymore? I bet I can research and find all of this saved technical information online very easily.

What does the hive suggest??
Trash it all or continue holding on to it all for the sense of security it gives.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
What was your major? Computer Science, I'd say toss em. Engineering, some of the upper level may still apply. Business, sell them, they've probably brand new and never been opened.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have been saving my text books, notebooks, completed assignments and other important school papers for the last 20 years.
I would gain about four feet of bedroom closed shelf space if I just got rid of it all.

Every time I get the urge to just throw it all away, I find myself thumbing through the books and notes, get sick of the thought of it all being gone. And then back into the closet it all goes.

Why I want to retain all of this printed and written mass is troublesome. I feel I will need to review should I have a new and better job opportunity. The texts are probably dated and technology has improved but the basic fundamentals they provide are valuable to me.

Do colleges even used text books anymore? I bet I can research and find all of this saved technical information online very easily.

Trash it all or continue holding on to it all for the sense of security it gives.
View Quote

Considering you haven't had to use them in the last 20 years, what's the likelihood of you having to use them in the next 20?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
How can someone "help you decide" if they don't have a clue on earth what kinds of books you are talking about?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Texts are technical. Digital electronics, industrial electronics, motors and controls....etc....
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep them. I am hording some of my past. I have my great grandfathers medical degree from 1892 from the Atlanta Medical College, and would love to have some of his college books. I have his family Bible. One of my cousins has his shaving cup. I have my dads letters he wrote home to his parents during WWII.

They may not be any value to you, but some where down the line, someone interested in their family heritage will love to have your old books. Write a small note, tuck it in the book, and maybe in a 100 years some one will find it thumbing through the book.

They could be one of those little treasures like I have of my great grandfather.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Considering you haven't had to use them in the last 20 years, what's the likelihood of you having to use them in the next 20?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my Wife's thoughts.....and mine until I begin looking through them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I did the same thing for maybe 25-30 years.  Finally tossed them and haven't missed them one bit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Ha.  I've got my grad school texts, notes and problem sets stored in two bins in the attic.  No way am I giving up my Jackson Electrodynamics problem sets - too much sweat and tears were shed doing those!

I do occasionally use my undergrad physics books and CRC tables, though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
turn a couple into those sweet pistol stash "books"
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Save old lecture text and tests
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#12]
All that crap that can be obsolete can be discarded. I save things that won't change much over time -- like  Grant's Anatomy, various biochemistry texts (although there is some change), immunology (some change), various how to books on local anethesia, restorative dentistry, periodontal surgery (I'm a contributing author on the perio text), cariology (I'm a contributing artist in the cariology text).. things like that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, I'd probably keep them.  I kind of wish I had some of my textbooks from 20 years ago.  

Quoted:
All that crap that can be obsolete can be discarded. I save things that won't change much over time -- like  Grant's Anatomy, various biochemistry texts (although there is some change), immunology (some change), various how to books on local anethesia, restorative dentistry, periodontal surgery (I'm a contributing author on the perio text), cariology (I'm a contributing artist in the cariology text).. things like that.
View Quote

Thought for sure you misspelled cardiology, but then you typed it again so I looked it up.  I have never heard that work before.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
If you do go the route of trashing them, think about donating them to a library. Kids (mainly foreigners on education visas) at my girlfriend's old library job ate that shit up and kept looking for more.

You could also always try ebay too.

I save all of my school stuff though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
i saved most of mine, but i'm a book-oriented guy.  i'd rather have too many books than too few.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I kept a couple biology/zoology books that were basic enough that stuff isnt gonna change, just for reference and for my kids to look at.

J-
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I went through them again.
They are now in a VERY heavy box on my bed.
One step closer to being gone.

I cannot discard any of it.
I will most likely store the box in the attic.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I eventually kept some of the books relating to my major
Everything else was sent to the library book sale for the tax credit about 20 years after I graduated
I hung onto some of those books when I shouldn't; should have sold them back to the book buy back while still in college
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They're still valuable, even if you aren't using them now, what if you need one for some obsolete machinery you need to understand?

Most of the content is still current, too.  (See what I did?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Texts are technical. Digital electronics, industrial electronics, motors and controls....etc....

They're still valuable, even if you aren't using them now, what if you need one for some obsolete machinery you need to understand?

I have all my engineering books and class notes.

It was announced this week that Einstein was correct.  Lots of material from 20+ yrs is still relevant and even if it weren’t you only went to college once (hopefully).
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:23:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It was announced this week that Einstein was correct.  Lots of material from 20+ yrs is still relevant and even if it weren’t you only went to college once (hopefully).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I puchase textbooks for a college. If they are for computer tech or nursing and are older than 2011, toss em. If they are for engineering or something like that, I've seen stuff from 1997 that are still used by instructors
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#22]
More BTUs for the wood burner
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Tannerite+gasoline
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

JMHO, but the material in those books is probably so dated as to compare unfavorably to a spec sheet for an Audion tube in the engineer's office at YouTube.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I only use one book from college in my profession and keep it at work.

It is essentially a compact book that is a cheat sheet in metallurgy, structures and aircraft standards.

Everything else I passed on to people seriously wanting to get into the profession.

I paid $160.oo for a book about advanced circuitry and found it last year. Gave it to a guy that was testing at my old university, told him to leave it in the library. It didn't even make enjoyable bathroom material.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:39:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
More BTUs for the wood burner
View Quote

Did that last year when I moved
Bunch of books had been in cold storage in a shed and the mice had worked their way through the boxes
They burned nicely
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top