[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Good man, didn't even have to ask

Diapers, and be prepared to never sleep again
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just know that from the first second you see her, you will be wrapped around her finger.

Start stocking on diapers and wipes now, you will be suprised how fast you go through them.
View Quote

Yep, to all of it. She will own your heart.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You will love it.
Mine graduates nursing school in a year, and loves to shoot, fish, shop, camp.
Just spend lots of time with your kids.

Eta. Mom takes her shopping.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Daughters are great.  Just got to get to them early so they don't get too 'girly' as to be a pain in the ass.

Mine's birthday is today, and we've been having a blast!
View Quote

Nice! My youngest turns 19 tomorrow !
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you were to have a boy child you would only have one little prick to worry about ....with a girl child you have to worry about ALL of them.
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just know that from the first second you see her, you will be wrapped around her finger.
View Quote
I love my wife and son more than I could ever put to words, but my little girl has snuggled into a place in my heart I didn't even know I had.

Congratulations and good luck!

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
We just had our third daughter last night at 11:15 pm at home.  Her 15 year old sister (our first child) was there to assist the midwifes.  Her abstaining from premarital sex is now assured.

Not joking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#9]
My little girl is a miracle. Literally. We had two boys then suffered three miscarriages before God sent her to us, and I thank Him every day that she came into our lives.

We had to let her go to college last August, and we miss her very much. It'll happen to you, someday.

No worries, though - she can handle herself

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
First: Sincere congrats.

Second:  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 girl = 4.boys.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats OP.  There is nothing I wouldn't do for for my daughter if she needed me.  You're in for one hell of a ride.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Congrats
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Front to back.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wife is due in early July with our first, we went to the ultrasound on Tuesday and saw that she's a girl.

About to be a first time father to a little girl, Arfcom what am I in for?
View Quote

My wife bought me a little book of advice quotes when we had our daughter.   The only one that stood out to me went something like this.   Remember that no matter how silly her fears are to you,  they very real fears to her.   My daughter is 10 now and has outgrown most of her irrational fears,  but she's had many many of them along the way.    That quote kept me from dismissing her fears on many occasions.  

Daughters are awesome OP.  Be firm,  but loving, and be consistent as possible.   She'll turn out just fine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Detangler and a detangle brush works.
Always wipe and wash your "who-ha" as we call it.
Always wear tights with dresses.

Mine also requires the dog to be with her at all times as she is scared.  They are not boys, don't treat them as such.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're in for poop, poop in places that poop should never go. Congrats BTW!
View Quote

Lol, this. We had two boys before our daughter. They weren't nearly as messy when it comes to diaper changes.
Oh, and they (daughters) become little mini me's of their mom and have daddy wrapped around their little finger.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#19]
The wife and I went through the same thing back in June, so congrats! I have no life-altering advice since I am new to the game myself, but I do have some item suggestions to make life at home easier!

First I suggest a swing. Seriously. We bought one several weeks after we had the baby home and really wished we had bought one sooner! It makes it possible to get things done and even grab a few hours sleep. I think we might have died without this thing.

Next, bottles. We bought the Dr. Browns bottles and never had to deal with colic. They take a bit more work to wash, but they are awesome. We did try one of the Avena bottles that came free from the hospital and it was absolutely crap in comparison. I got this set off Amazon before I discovered that they carry them at Babies-r-us.

Then there is the tub, 4Moms Infant Tub. I read a lot of reviews and found this one in the Warehouse deals section of Amazon. It has a drain in the side like all the other tubs on the market, but, it also has a drain in the bottom. Why is a drain in the bottom important? Its great to drain out the pee and poo tainted water while you are trying to wash the baby! And there will be both. This tub makes it possible to drain the tub without having to take the baby out making it an ordeal. It also has a digital readout with an alarm. It shows the temp of the water and will alert once the temp gets up too high. I have a hard time telling if its too hot or cold myself, so the gauge made it nice and idiot proof.

Last, I am too lazy to dig up a picture, but we got the Graco car seat and stroller combo. I can take her from the house, to the truck, to the stroller and not disturb her. Its great when its raining to not be fighting with straps. There is probably more, but right now I am drawing a blank since I am tired! As already mentioned numerous times, get plenty of sleep now because it will be a precious commodity in the near future!

OH! One last thing. I was told so many times that there is no owners manual for the baby, that you have to figure things out on your own and pay your dues I suppose. Well, they were wrong! I did find an owners manual.

Owner's Manual

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats

You are going too share some of the most beautiful heartfelt moments of your life with that little girl. Starting the moment they put her in your arms
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll sum it up without being specific as I have two daughters myself..

You poor bastard. Much weeping and bloodshed is in your future. Usually at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I am the oldest of 3 boys, and I have a 5 year old. We had a girl last may and although i was very scared at first it's awesome. She is amazing and I think she will be a daddy's girl.

Pro tip- we had a "diaper kegger" where i invited a bunch of people over, i bought about 6 cases of beer and grilled burgers and brats before the baby was born. It was a great time. I invited people and asked that they please bring a pack of diapers or wipes and they could drink on me. I even made a late night beer run as people were having fun and the drinks were flowing. It cost probably 200 bucks all in to throw my party, we had a great time, and we literally have not had to buy one pack of diapers yet (going on nine months now).
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Makeup, hair products, tampons, periods, douches, yeast infections, crying and emotional outbursts for no reason, bras, panties, high heels, short skirts, their cost, and of course as a Dad you know about boys and what they will want from her and want to do to her.

Congrats and good luck, you're gonna need it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]
EVERYTHING CHANGES  

Its pretty fun so far mine is five... you know your doing it right when you wake up on the couch and your toes are painted
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got a 5 year old girl and another girl on the way.

Mine came up to me an hour ago and said "Daddy, I want to build something with you right now!"
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I turned around and she grew up.  She will be the only girl on the planet who will truly love you without reserve.  You must act like a man and she will try and marry one.  At no time, even if as a teen she might think she hates you, will you ever be loved more.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 3 daughters.
My oldest just turned 9, she is a daddys girl. She is my girl. We have our own youtube channel that we do together, we are very close.
Its going to phyiscally hurt when she doesnt want to hang out with dad anymore.
My 2nd daughter is going to be 2 in april. She is a handful. Too young to tell how close we will be but I hope its as close as daughter number one.
Daughter number 3 will be 1 year old in april as well. She is the opposite of #2, very calm and laid back. And like the rest I hope she is a daddy's girl as well.

Having daughters is alot different I would imagine than having sons. The thought of them getting married makes me sick. Ill probably die from all the estrogen before that happens though. I just try and be a good dad and do what is best. They all go through stages though, Ive seen every Disney princess movie a hundred times, thats all overwith now. They are all still a princess though even if they dont watch the movies anymore. Everything you own will now have glitter on it. I love my girls but I just worry about their future. Just thinking of what I need to do to prepare 3 girls to face the world is the scary part.
oh and...
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#28]
6 months in with my daughter.  She will be the light of your life.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Ah yes! Sleep now, because you'll never sleep the same again once you see that baby girls face. You will understand the full meaning of the word love instantly;  your feelings meter is about to get recalibrated. Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I have 2.  14 and 10.

- she OWNS your ass. Lock. Stock. and Barrel.  Get over it, it's fact
- you'll do ANYTHING she wants.  You are powerless.  You think Wife has your trained? You haven't see anything yet.
- You WILL find yourself crawling around on the floor in a walmart/toysrus/etc debating the relative merits of party barbie vs beach barbie, or some other girl toy
- get ready for wads of hair in sinks and carpet and couches. I have three girls at home, all long hair.
- You are going to snuggle a lot more than you used to. You'll do anything to hold her and spend time with her
- she will pit you against your wife.  It will work. You will side with your daughter against your wife.  You cannot control this.
 - this will piss your wife off mightily
- You will start eyeing young males differently about 10 minutes after she's born.
- you will start planning "dating rules" for your daughter sometime in her first year
- you will worry who she's going to marry sometime in the first couple years of her life, if you don't already.
- when she cries, your heart will fall apart in tiny pieces.  You'll do anything to fix it and make her happy again. Even if it means ice cream at midnight on a school night
  - this will piss your wife off mightily
- you heart will break when she comes home with her first boy crush.  You'll be confused and you'll feel her start to slip away. You will stay up late thinking about it.
- She'll be the most beautiful girl in the world to you, no matter what she looks like. She'll be perfect.

you're in for a ride. I'd lay my life down for my girls without even a second thought. You'll be over protective.  You'll have something in your life you can never put a price on,  who can make you the happiest person on the planet, and who could, potentially, destroy you, and you have no defense.

congrats OP

ETA:

My Teen

my "baby"
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wife is due in early July with our first, we went to the ultrasound on Tuesday and saw that she's a girl.

View Quote

my daughter ( now 16) has provided me with years of joy and fun.
the first 5 years of her life were the best years of my life.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#32]
One piece of advice I think is often skipped is 'live every single moment'.   This sounds stupid but you will never get to repeat the early years.  It's so easy to wish for tomorrow,  "when she's older she'll sleep better" "when she's older I won't have to change as many diapers" "when she's older daycare will be  cheaper"  it's so easy to wish for tomorrow that I think some people forget about today.  Soak it up.  Put down the phone.  Put down the Facebook.  Even if it's just to watch or hold her for a few minutes I promise you you will never wish for more time on ARFCOM and you will never wish you fucked off on your phone more.  You will always wonder if you missed a moment with your little girl.  It goes by so damn fast and each stage of her life is just fucking awesome. Soak every second up and NEVER wish for tomorrow.  

Good luck with your very different (but awesome) new life!

-LTC-
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#33]
+1 to all the good stuff said so far.  Nevermind the bad, it passes so
quickly it just doesn't matter much.

And keep in mind when you question whether you're up for the task:
Men in your family have helped raise daughters for thousands of years,
Truly, you were made for exactly this.

Congratulations
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Get them on the pill early or be happy as a young grandpa raising the whole young family .Can't stop horny teenagers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats OP!  I've got 2, and a 3rd due in June, probably just a few weeks before you guys since we just found it was also a girl.

Love our two to death.  Yeah, I missed out on doing boy things, but I have nephews so guess I can be that cool uncle that takes them hunting and fishing, and be that dad that bawls his eyes out walking his princesses down the aisle when they get married (if I ever let them date).

Our oldest loves to hunt and fish with me, so don't worry too much about not being able to do stuff you like to do.

Start saving for the future wedding now...maybe $1000 a year if you can, and get ready for all sorts of female excitement in the house.  Even the little ones seem to have the periodic hormone imbalance, so you just have to push through it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#36]
She'll poop all the time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the greatest gift God will ever give you.  My little girl was born last July, she is our first child.  Looking back, I can hardly remember life before she was born.  She has given my life so much more meaning and purpose.  

I know children aren't for everyone, but IMHO choosing to never have at least one child would leave me feeling empty and incomplete.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Girls are verbal, and smart. I never realized that at the same age when boys were running around in circles like puppies, girls were planning the rest of their lives. Girls are just as hot for boys as boys are for girls. Except girls start 2 years earlier. With girls, I got the holy crap, she is too smart, I am over my head now thing at 9 years old. More like 15 years old with boys. It is a great journey.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#39]
As a father, daughters are something special. Maybe it's just because my first was a girl, but something special.

Makes you a different person in many ways, but the most obvious to me is the protection instinct; I would kill to protect her, without even thinking twice. Like burn down this whole motherf*cker Rambo style rage. Sounds weird, and maybe it's just a more prevalent feeling because of this crazy world or stuff you read or hear about happening to others, but was the most obvious change to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lol, I've told both of mine multiple times....you're both going to be batshit crazy till you hit 23 or so.

My oldest is 25 , and just recently told me , Jesus Christ dad , my sister is insane,(19) , holy shit you were right!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When she reaches 16 her hormones will drive her into a crazy unreasonable state much like that time when Mr. Spock was in heat and lost his frigging mind.

Lol, I've told both of mine multiple times....you're both going to be batshit crazy till you hit 23 or so.

My oldest is 25 , and just recently told me , Jesus Christ dad , my sister is insane,(19) , holy shit you were right!

OR Maybe, just maybe, you telling them that they will become crazy became a self fulfilling prophecy. I never told my daughter that she would be crazy and she's been the most even-keeled, level headed kid you'd ever have the good fortune to meet. In fact, today, I just gifted her her first concealed carry gun! Time flies.

OP - girls are awesome and they're super fun to hike, bike and camp with. Just make sure that you make things a bit "comfy" for them and they are naturals at adventuring. I have a 21 yo girl and a 15 year old boy and they are the reason I get up every morning. Congrats!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Detangler and a detangle brush works.
Always wipe and wash your "who-ha" as we call it.
Always wear tights with dresses.

Mine also requires the dog to be with her at all times as she is scared.  They are not boys, don't treat them as such.
View Quote

Lol. I came in here to say "treat her like you would a boy". Demand all the same hard work, honesty and decency you would from a boy. Teach her all the things you'd teach a boy and tell her to be tough like a boy. Just add girl standards to it too, like also doing all the girl stuff and not doing stuff boys are allowed to do but girls get judged for. By that, I mean, she should have a boy's skills and standards plus a girl's skills, but not be allowed the freedom you'd give a boy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Get them on the pill early or be happy as a young grandpa raising the whole young family .Can't stop horny teenagers.
View Quote

Yuck. Worst advice ever.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't buy dresses that have a dozen tiny buttons down the back.  Nightmare.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I spent tonight bathing (she gets sweet after bath), dancing with and cuddling with my 4 y/o.

Gift from God.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Proud father of three mean ass girls. Ages 15, 18, and 21
I wouldn't trade them for anything.
Don't let that whole girly girl thing fool you.

sucker
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Don't buy dresses that have a dozen tiny buttons down the back.  Nightmare.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Agree, if its every day wear - zippers rule. Snaps aren't bad but we're not Goddamn Amish or Mennonites so get out of here with the copious amount of buttons!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#47]
LOL.... they are all fun and games until they hit puberty... I still love my little girl though, nothing better than kids
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Congratulations!

Show her how a man should treat a lady by being the example, she will learn from how you treat your wife, how men should treat her. As Snow said, teach her the skills you would teach a boy and the restraint you'd expect from a lady. Teach her to respect men by being a man worthy of respect. Teach her how to read people and think for herself. Teach her that she is a person worthy of respect, and that anyone who doesn't respect her isn't worth her time. Also teach her that she is not for sale, and men aren't self propelled wallets. Too many men think money is the way to a girl's heart, and too many women are convinced of it too. But money can't buy you love.

If you do those things, you won't have to worry about the boys.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Congratulations! You may have picked the wrong day to post this though
View Quote

yeah no shit

I just saw the that thread, WTF Over
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#50]
4 and 3 year old girls.  They are a ton of fun, and alot of work.

Hit up yard sales for play jewelry, dress up clothes, etc.  They love that stuff.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top