Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That wasnt cool, it was just fuckin stupid.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
because even stock they can do cool shit like this

http://youtu.be/9JVLQuiBbjs

Agreed.  Mudding has to be the lowest form of vehicular entertainment.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy used you say...let the 1st owner take the depreciation hit you say...
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the post where the guy said he wanted a convertible 4x4.  That is what initially got me to buy a wrangler.  I like cruising some of the easier stuff off road here in east tn as well, and a tj is perfect for me.

A rubicon makes sense if it is about what a person wants.  If someone wants bigger tires and plans to regear things or even replace the axles because the stock ones won't hold up, then a rubicon may not be a good choice.

And as mentioned the warranty thing can make a ton of sense.

I consider wranglers overpriced but after owning one I am ok with what I paid for it.  After watching it hold its value, I am ok with what I paid for it.  I don't plan to sell it, I will repair as needed and replace the little things I want to replace so things improve for what I want it to do.

I don't know if I would buy a new rubicon, but I do know I would leave it stock cause it does more than I want to do in stock form.  And with the lockers and extra low transfer case it will do it easily.  

I could see taking the rubicon stickers off it, but then I left the golden eagle stickers on my 06 tj so I don't know if I would do that or not.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think people assume that by off-road vehicle, they mean rock crawler and not necessarily an expedition vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because they sell every one they make, that's why.

As alluded to above, there's also a limited number of options, and all of those options have at least an independant front suspension (and some rear as well), which limits you far more than some people would like to believe.

Do what?

I think people assume that by off-road vehicle, they mean rock crawler and not necessarily an expedition vehicle.

Expedition vehicle is, IMO, a task better done by a truck with more cargo room. With a Jeep you really need a trailer (which I have no problem with, and have one).

But yes, if you stay off anything off-camber, IFS will do you fine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Cause.........all ya gotta do is buy a few accessories out of a catalogue.......and you got this:

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had three Jeeps....YJ 4banger/manual, TJ Sport inline-6/manual, and a JK Unlimited Rubicon V6/auto.

There are a lot of great perspectives in this thread.  At the end of the day, as long as you are happy with your vehicle, that's the important thing.

That said, would I buy a Rubicon again (bought mine used btw)?  Depends.....if I wasn't going to go really crazy and wasn't planning on 37's and a ridiculous lift (as an example) and didn't wheel it real hard, I think it is definitely worth getting the Rubicon....regardless if I "needed" it.

If I was a hard core off-roader (I am not), I would get the cheapest model I could with the minimum amount of comfort options I could live with.  I would then carefully pick the upgraded axles, lift, etc that I wanted.  What you want to avoid is spending money on upgraded DANA 44 axles only to replace them because you bent them wheeling (happened to a friend of mine....JK Rubicon w/ 35's).

What I really want is a Hemi conversion......now those are just amazing machines......if you have $80k laying around. Next on my list would be a diesel.

Unless you just get a ridiculous deal (Tread Lightly, etc) buy used.  

Oh, and spend lots of time on JK Forum. There is a lot of noise, but there is some really good gouge (kind of like this site). :)
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cause.........all ya gotta do is buy a few accessories out of a catalogue.......and you got this:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/drsalee/DSC_1175.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
"Why are Wrangler Rubicon cars so expensive?

FIFY, and the short answer is union labor.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even the ones made in non Union plants?  Do yourself a favor and look up how much of the price of a car labor is.  Then come back and edit your post to something less uninformed.

ETA. Just to save you time, it's about 10-15%

ETA2. Roughly 250.00 a car more expensive due to the big bad unions. Funny how the execs that get bonuses in the millions aren't to blame, but it's all the the people that are building them that get blamed. I guess 35000 for a new car was cheap, but that damn Union made the cost jump up to 35250, and now I'm going to have to sell a kidney..,

reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0MJ24U20150323

Despite major restructuring since the 2009 recession, GM and Ford still have higher labor costs than their major competitors. The $10 per hour labor cost gap between GM and Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) translates to roughly $250 a car in additional labor costs for GM, according to data in the study.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buy a TJ or YJ, Ive never seen so many poser strokes wannabe off road douchebags driving these POS. Oversized shitboxes with a real douche community of drivers in those JKs. The typical driver has some poser black off road looking rims and a cheap ass suspension, maybe even a winch thats brand new and never used to complete the look of total pussified dick smoker. These people make me sick, dice their balls off.

This is real shit real, Upper Hellldorado.
http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/47261470+w660+h440+q80+re0+cr1+ar0/wheeling-moab-jeep-in-upper-helldorado

View Quote

Right, because there are no JK's that can do this lol. They not only do it, they do it better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Right, because there are no JK's that can do this lol. They not only do it, they do it better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a TJ or YJ, Ive never seen so many poser strokes wannabe off road douchebags driving these POS. Oversized shitboxes with a real douche community of drivers in those JKs. The typical driver has some poser black off road looking rims and a cheap ass suspension, maybe even a winch thats brand new and never used to complete the look of total pussified dick smoker. These people make me sick, dice their balls off.

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/47261470+w660+h440+q80+re0+cr1+ar0/wheeling-moab-jeep-in-upper-helldorado

Didn't some guy do Helldarado in a crown Vic a while back and post YouTube vids?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#12]
LMAO!
I think this is the 39K Rob Halford model:

http://www.hoffmantoyota.com/used/Jeep/2011-Jeep-Wrangler-596ade5c0a0d04fe15bbbd90aa5b4436.htm

I take my kids to Best Buy on Tuesdays, and we always get a kick out of this one.  Someone ...please buy it so I will never see it again.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Because Americans can't get real Land Rovers
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#14]
The EPA, IIHS and supply and demand.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Interestingly enough, a reason not to buy a used one. He's lucky as hell that he didn't waterlog it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Very nice!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/drsalee/DSC_1175.jpg

Very nice!

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Being a member of Tread Lightly will get your Chrysler preferred pricing on new Jeep purchases. Just saying.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip!    https://www.treadlightly.org/join/individual/
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We have a grandmother in our club that refuses to take her lifted 4 door Rubicon off the road. It was offroad I think one time... We lifted it... and hasn't been offroad since. She has had it about 2-3 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paid just shy of 30k a few years ago for a new rubicon. Factory order. Shouldn't be 40k unless it's decked out with all the soccer mom features.
Where are all the soccer moms driving Rubicons....
I'm wondering the same thing. I never see women driving Jeeps around here.

We have a grandmother in our club that refuses to take her lifted 4 door Rubicon off the road. It was offroad I think one time... We lifted it... and hasn't been offroad since. She has had it about 2-3 years.

Majority of Jeep drivers here are females.  They are especially popular with the 18-mid 20s group.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In 1997 I bought a base 4x4 Wrangler for $14,000.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 2010 I bought a new Wrangler Unlimited Sport (4WD, stick shift, air, manual windows & locks) for $25,000

And overpaid  

See a couple posts down for the 2010
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Buy mine, 22k miles and modded properly for real wheeling.
<~~~~~~~~~~~~
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Even the ones made in non Union plants?  Do yourself a favor and look up how much of the price of a car labor is.  Then come back and edit your post to something less uninformed.

ETA2. Roughly 250.00 a car more expensive due to the big bad unions. Funny how the execs that get bonuses in the millions aren't to blame, but it's all the the people that are building them that get blamed. I guess 35000 for a new car was cheap, but that damn Union made the cost jump up to 35250, and now I'm going to have to sell a kidney..,

Despite major restructuring since the 2009 recession, GM and Ford still have higher labor costs than their major competitors. The $10 per hour labor cost gap between GM and Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) translates to roughly $250 a car in additional labor costs for GM, according to data in the study.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Math is hard and feels mean more than facts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You might still be better off getting a Rubi since you can sell the axles for a decent price and apply that towards your build. Good luck selling the regular axles. Also, a sleeved, trussed, and gusseted front and a trussed rear, both with stronger axle shafts is far cheaper than complete axle swaps with lockers and you can do fine for a long time with 37's setup that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it's cheaper than building up a Sport model.

A car mag broke this down once a while back (can't remember who), and this was the conclusion.

It's true. Lockers and gears (axles and Tcase) are the best and most expensive upgrade on a 4wd. My friend just bought a Power Wagon and his math had him saving around $5k over buying a stock 3/4ton and adding all of the goodies. If you don't use it off-road, it's not worth the money.

That is true, but if you are planning to go bigger than 35" tires, you would be money ahead to get a sport and upgrade everything yourself.

You might still be better off getting a Rubi since you can sell the axles for a decent price and apply that towards your build. Good luck selling the regular axles. Also, a sleeved, trussed, and gusseted front and a trussed rear, both with stronger axle shafts is far cheaper than complete axle swaps with lockers and you can do fine for a long time with 37's setup that way.

No one goes that route.  I've had two 30 spline Dana 30 kits listed on several jeep groups for a month.  Brand new.  $300.  They are $700 everywhere new. No one wants them.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey OP skip the Wrangler's premium price tag and just get the truck the Wrangler wants be when it grows up:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc40/ryaneruck/board/488545_6002_160_0001_zpsiczs1aa9.jpg

That one's mine. Bought her Wednesday!

Now I just have to wait 8-12 weeks for my EUC clears to pick it up.

View Quote

I'm way behind if surplus humvees are being auctioned off by gov.. When did this start happening.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Heh.

Subaru FZJ80 . factory bus transmission, factory locked, floating axles, and lifted and armored, and it was 12% the cost of a Rubicon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeep = the automotive version of coming out of the closet.

Awe bless your heart.  Jeeps are definitely not for you, you should stick with your Subarus.

Heh.

Subaru FZJ80 . factory bus transmission, factory locked, floating axles, and lifted and armored, and it was 12% the cost of a Rubicon.

A 20yr old vehicle was 12% the cost of a new one? You don't say
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm way behind if surplus humvees are being auctioned off by gov.. When did this start happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey OP skip the Wrangler's premium price tag and just get the truck the Wrangler wants be when it grows up:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc40/ryaneruck/board/488545_6002_160_0001_zpsiczs1aa9.jpg

I believe they cannot be made street legal.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We found the diehard union guy
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I couldn't justify the Rubicon package.  I drive off road quite a bit, but I don't rock crawl and don't go looking for ways to get mud everywhere.  So I got a 2015 Sport with a hardtop, a winch, and threw on some Rubicon tires.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm160/30CalTy/DSC_8317_zps38le40id.jpg

View Quote

Seems reasonable. I just spec'd out a similar Sport S on the Jeep website a few minutes ago. Came out around $31,000. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Interestingly enough, a reason not to buy a used one. He's lucky as hell that he didn't waterlog it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, he is lucky he didn't hydro lock it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I believe they cannot be made street legal.  
View Quote

TSU45,
They've been selling them off for about a year. IIRC, there were around 4,000 in this first batch to see how sales would go. They're over half way through that.

Word I heard is that supposedly the military has over 800k in inventory that are going to be cycled out as they are replaced. No idea how accurate that number is but that's straight from someone who deals in surplus for a living.

Banditman,
They are being sold with "For Off Road Use Only" Florida titles/SF97s. It is stamped across the top. And you sign a hold harmless agreement which says you acknowledge it is not roadworthy.

That said, people are getting these titled with on road titles and plates. I've seen Tennessee and Texas license plates online. No idea about others. Last spring after these started going on the market, I also saw what was most definitely an M998 driving around with plates north of Cincinnati but, was not able to speak with the owner as we were both in traffic.

I posted earlier according to my Deputy brother, here in Ohio vehicles must have a specific list of road/safety equipment and be inspected by Ohio Highway Patrol after which they can receive a regular title and plates. Here in Ohio we can get plates for dune buggies and golf carts in this manner. I have pictures of the applicable section of the law as well as the affidavit supposedly required to apply for the title.

I haven't seen anything solid about any other Ohioans getting this done so I'm wading into it blind. I suppose if it isn't successful I'm stuck with an expensive toy. Then again, even after I've modded it, it will still only be on par pricewise with many side by sides.

I'm going to try and detail what I know, what I've gone through in the purchase, and what I will be going through in a thread at the request of Shott8283.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Didn't some guy do Helldarado in a crown Vic a while back and post YouTube vids?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, that was just a small bit of the beginning of Hell's Revenge, which is an easy trail. Helldorado is no fucking joke. You're not taking a stock, let alone street legal anything through Helldorado.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Um, NO. Cost of production, marketing, profit, etc..
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

can you start a thread detailing the process of getting one of these?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

can you start a thread detailing the process of getting one of these?

Hey Schott,
Here's the thread I promised on the purchasing process.

I was as detailed as possible from start to where I'm at currently so it is a long read but, it should answer most all of the questions you have about it. If not just ask there and I'll do my best to answer or hopefully someone else can.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 2010 I bought a new Wrangler Unlimited Sport (4WD, stick shift, air, manual windows & locks) for $25,000

I bought a new 04 Wrangler X 5 speed 4.0 for $14k.  I still kick myself for selling it.  It would be worth nearly that much today with 100k miles on it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you want to sell just the Hardtop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll sell you an'07 2 door hard top.
We bought a 4 door Rubicon last year and love it.

Do you want to sell just the Hardtop?

No.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't know about the 16's but I bought a $2500 lifetime warranty on my 15 Wllys. It's literally everything but the paint. Hard to beat that with aftermarket stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Seems reasonable. I just spec'd out a similar Sport S on the Jeep website a few minutes ago. Came out around $31,000. Not too bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I couldn't justify the Rubicon package.  I drive off road quite a bit, but I don't rock crawl and don't go looking for ways to get mud everywhere.  So I got a 2015 Sport with a hardtop, a winch, and threw on some Rubicon tires.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm160/30CalTy/DSC_8317_zps38le40id.jpg

search around and see whats sitting on lots, you might find a oddball
got the wife a 2014 sport s jku that just so happened to have all the right boxes checked
better gears and diff etc...  
even had the dual top group which is pretty weird.
paid right at or just under 31 for it
it fits our needs just fine
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I just bought a 2016 sahara for my wife.  Would have bought a rubicon, but they didn't have any.  Anyways, I just rode it all through the damn mountains in our 2 feet of snow.  Really impressed with it in the snow.  And it handles much better than I thought on the road.  We had a TJ years ago and the wife had a CJ before that.  Both rode like shit compared to this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't know about the 16's but I bought a $2500 lifetime warranty on my 15 Wllys. It's literally everything but the paint. Hard to beat that with aftermarket stuff.
View Quote

I didn't even realize that was an option. Pretty cool, if you plan on keeping it mostly stock. Which is perfect for someone like me. We really don't have serious rocks around here, so it would do most trails at the parks I go to.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly what I did with mine.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cause every rich soccer mom out there buys it to haul around their crotch fruit. Thus making the price go up.
View Quote

Soccer moms don't drive demand for capable 4x4's, people who actually need or want 4x4's to use as 4x4's do.   Otherwise Jeep would be selling mountains of 2wd Wranglers with Rubicon labeling on them.  (for a different comparison, look at all the poor bastards buying 2wd TRD Tacomas.....)

Look at what people will pay for used 4x4's.   That demand comes from the bottom all the way up.  Why the hell would Jeep sell a new vehicle for less than someone is willing to pay for a used one?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just bought a 2016 sahara for my wife.  Would have bought a rubicon, but they didn't have any.  Anyways, I just rode it all through the damn mountains in our 2 feet of snow.  Really impressed with it in the snow.  And it handles much better than I thought on the road.  We had a TJ years ago and the wife had a CJ before that.  Both rode like shit compared to this.
View Quote

This is my wife's Sport w/posi.

I added Rubi wheels, sliders, Class III hitch.

Other than that, I'm not planning to do much else for a while.

I have two trail rigs for rougher stuff and I'm also planning a Power Wagon buy this year.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Guy I work with bought a brand new Rubicon with all the bells and whistles.  Says he spent $54K on it.  Then he added several thousand in lights and other stuff.

He has NEVER taken it off the pavement and is fine saying he will NEVER get it dirty.

Good looking jeep though, even if he has no clue what it's capable of.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Holding my breath now to see what the new 2017 models are going to look like. If they screw that up... i predict panic buying of all remaining 2016's on the lots........................  This could be the end. Gulp.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You know that FCA US, LLC makes over $10,000 profit on each Jeep, right?
View Quote

It's been that way for 30 years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's above MSRP by $8500.

But still it doesn't compete with some of the $55,000 and up smaller pickups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's above MSRP by $8500.

But still it doesn't compete with some of the $55,000 and up smaller pickups.

Go big or go home.

Hemi Rubicon
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#50]
It's been said before in this thread, but you should never pay MSRP prices for Chrysler products...nor should you pay a premium for a bunch of dealer-installed Shittybuilt accessories.

Get in the Chrysler Affiliates program and pay 1% below invoice max.  Many pay less.  I did.  My 2013 JKR had just about every option and listed for 38K before fees and I drove it off the lot for 34K without a trade or financing.

If you plan to build it up yourself, get a Sport.  If you are just going to add larger tires and a small lift without upgrading gearing, then you might want to be careful which model you buy to ensure the axle ratio you get will work.  It used to be either 3.21, 3.73, and 4.1, with the latter only available on the Rubicon.  Even that's not enough for many serious off road folks, but it works for most.  I have seen quite a few folks online regret getting a Sport with 3.21 when they realize it's going to be a dog with 35s.

If you want a JKR and have the cash, get it.  You don't need to explain shit to anyone.  This isn't France.   Hell, if you have a pile of cash, get an AEV.  Sure, building yourself lets you get exactly what you want and then you can take pride in it, but some folks don't want the hassle.  That's cool.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top