BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm right there with you.  My knowledge is very limited.  I pulled all my stuff out of stocks back in August and put it into a low interest bearing account.  I retire in a couple of years.  Fuck the roller coaster, I'm holding what I got.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a financial and stock market idiot.

When people start spouting off all this jargon, my eyes just glaze over.

Plain english motherfucker, do you speak it?

It's like being at work and hearing the corporate weenies say shit like "loss profit opportunity"....The shit makes me want to kick kittens.  

I'm right there with you.  My knowledge is very limited.  I pulled all my stuff out of stocks back in August and put it into a low interest bearing account.  I retire in a couple of years.  Fuck the roller coaster, I'm holding what I got.  

I just don't have any money.

I have a sneaking suspicion that regardless of what happens to the stock market, I'm just gonna keep going to work and doing what I have always done.

Despite people trying to explain it to me in the past, I still honestly have no idea what the stock market does, or what the point of it really is.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Wouldn't the same effect (oil declining) be achieved by abundance of Oil?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/193452_700b.jpg

Can some one explain why low oil prices would cause this? In my mind, low oil prices lowers the costs for businesses to do business and therefore more profit which should equal a higher stock prices?

Oh yeah, forgot that the markets operate more on people's "feels"

Tanking oil prices are an indicator of softenting demand.  Softening demand indicates that economies are slowing.  Of course there is the supply side to consider as well.

Emerging markets, from reports I've read, are slowing and 2016 is "expected" to be a really bad year in the BRICS.  

That's why a lot of us are concerned about oil's big crash, it CAN BE a harginger of bad things to come.

Although there is no denying that there is a very real psychological componet to the markets.

EDIT- To quote Qweevox - low oil prices are a symptom, not the disease.

From my first post...Of course there is the supply side to consider as well.

Rig counts are falling through the floor and the glut / route continues.  Eagle Ford is on life support and I heard only "traditional" wells are being drilled at the moment in West Texas.

I read a lot at oilprice DOT com but most goes over my head.

Time will tell, but I think it's a some from column A and a some from column B.    

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm long on UVXY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you short?

R U Short?

I'm long on UVXY

How long will you stay in it? Serious question.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They are going to have to close trading soon if this continues.
View Quote

First circuit breaker at -1100~ I believe. We've got lots of room.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Tanking oil prices are an indicator of softenting demand.  Softening demand indicates that economies are slowing.  Of course there is the supply side to consider as well.

Emerging markets, from reports I've read, are slowing and 2016 is "expected" to be a really bad year in the BRICS.  

That's why a lot of us are concerned about oil's big crash, it CAN BE a harginger of bad things to come.

Although there is no denying that there is a very real psychological componet to the markets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can some one explain why low oil prices would cause this? In my mind, low oil prices lowers the costs for businesses to do business and therefore more profit which should equal a higher stock prices?

But...but...but...cheap oil can only spur the economy. Right? Right?

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Somebody needs to pull the plug on those computers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#7]
So the Dow is down 3000 points in a Week? What's happening?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]

As EXPCustom used to say..............."let's shut it down gentlemen".
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, it's down maybe 1000 over the past 5 days.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Geez I'm going to miss out investing in the biggest opportunity in my lifetime!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll buy some UVXY....that will be the end of the slide.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

down 2000 in the last month
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it yesterday's tomorrow or today's tomorrow?

I already moved much of my 401k to a safer investment.  Seems like a good time to do so.  Low gas prices preceded the last epic drop, among other indicators.  Don't expect any different this time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I still have my gun collection and my house.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would and it is:  we are in an over supply condition.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a financial and stock market idiot.

When people start spouting off all this jargon, my eyes just glaze over.

Plain english motherfucker, do you speak it?

It's like being at work and hearing the corporate weenies say shit like "loss profit opportunity"....The shit makes me want to kick kittens.  

You're in a VERY good position if this turns into a bottom out. The possibility to double your retirement savings will be there, even if you go with a conservative portfolio. A lot of folks have been trying to time this market correctly and you just so happened to Forest Gump it. The only way not to benefit from your position would be a total market loss and if that happens, we've all got bigger issues than our retirement planning. Problems like dudes in leather smocks, riding around in dune buggies, blind guys carrying around brail bibles and midgets in helmits roaming around on the shoulders of giant , shirtless sloth/men trying to figure out who runs barter town.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
ETF's as  safe havens?

Thin ice
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's coming one day or another. Obama's recovery was shams and lies.
View Quote

There wasn't ever a recovery.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#19]
So how bad is this "Correction" going to be?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I sold everything.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would. Everything would cost less due to lower transportation costs and people being able to afford more due to lower fuel costs, food prices would come down. Speculators are the o ly people that want it higher.

Are you a retard or something?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I was a little early selling my 401k into cash, but it's looking safe now.

Those long dated puts on SPY are looking really nice now. hoping it flushes hard under 182 now....$$$ from the crash.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, i have the same kind of luck!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It would. Everything would cost less due to lower transportation costs and people being able to afford more due to lower fuel costs, food prices would come down. Speculators are the o ly people that want it higher.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's been cheap since December 2014. So when do the benefits of lower transportation costs kick in? We're still waiting. Meanwhile...

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That fucking piece of shit killed me one too many times.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Just sold half of a health care fund that I was at one point up 246% on.  Sold it for about 186% gain.    I'm about 33% cash now in my trading accounts and about  33% international funds.  I'm thinking AAPL and some oil stocks when it's time to buy back in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I sold everything.
View Quote

Yup me too. Will not lose ONE MORE DIME. Wake me up when/if the DJIA is back over 17k
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's been cheap since December 2014. So when do the benefits of lower transportation costs kick in? We're still waiting. Meanwhile...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I agree here. More to it that just low oil prices but greedy companies would just increase margins and call it a day LOL
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#29]

It would and it is:  we are in an over supply condition.

I truly hope you are correct.  Iran's entry certainly won't help.

But I think we are heading into or are already in a global bear market at the moment.  I keep reading about demand easing in BRICs.  That is worrisome IMO.

FYI I moved my money into land last summer but I'm looking to find a bottom like most here to slowly re-enter.  Markets have been over valued for a couple of years IMO.

Yes, I'm an idiot with quote trees.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yup me too. Will not lose ONE MORE DIME. Wake me up when/if the DJIA is back over 17k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sold everything.

Buy back in after the recovery. Good plan.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just sold half of a health care fund that I was at one point up 246% on.  Sold it for about 186% gain.    I'm about 33% cash now in my trading accounts and about  33% international funds.  I'm thinking AAPL and some oil stocks when it's time to buy back in.
View Quote

Holy Shit!  Good job.

I'm with you in the bold.

What do think about Europe and BRICs this year?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Lol, reading this thread makes me wonder how many of the posters are American versions of this.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#34]
DOW is down 3%.

I need a Tums.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#35]
It's happening

Never mind, between LABD, and DRIP it has more than offset any potential losses (which are fairly low thanks to wonderful things called options and they aren't wizardry, yes they put a little drag on the upside, but I am a huge believer in big losses hurt more than big gains help.

Disclaimer: this is taxable trade only, IRA is invested following Vanguard Adviser Growth Portfolio since 2010 and the other taxable account is for pure dividend whoring
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#36]
So it really is happening? When do the EBT cards shut off
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never.  The spice must flow
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok let me rephrase that. When do we see hyper inflation and milk costs a million dollars so EBT cards are worthless and the inner cities tear them selves apart
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#39]
And there goes 500....
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Is it too early to predict what it closes at today?

At the rate things are going, 15200 - 15300 doesn't seem far off.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lol, reading this thread makes me wonder how many of the posters are American versions of this.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/14880/production/_87669048_84e245af-79cf-4830-8e30-9541f2368bea.jpg
View Quote

Laugh all you want, a lot of those ladies have come to the US in the last few years to buy up real estate.

One of which is currently developing a subdivision in my area.  As long as we don't have a repeat of '08 she's going to make a killing here too.

I don't pretend to be rich but I do find enjoyment in discussing the economy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The good news is that this will not bode very well for Democrats in November
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's coming one day or another. Obama's recovery was shams and lies.

The good news is that this will not bode very well for Democrats in November

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
And there goes 500....
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm playing with VXX options. A little cheaper than UVXY.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#46]
DOW -560
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I've got another 25-30 yrs before I retire, so I like these drops. I started buying 1-2.5k per 500 pt drop starting at 16500. At this rate, I'll be cashed out by the time we hit 14 next week! Oh well. Hopefully my commissions will come in so I can max out my Ira before a big rebound. Even with all the uncertainty, I feel better having a plan that I'm sticking to... Takes the knee jerk reactions off the table.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#48]
522....ITS A RALLY!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top