User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/devilman13xx/bike/20141211_160847.jpg

I'm such an outlaw. no reflectors here.

However I have been trying to find someone with reflective black vinyl to make me a BFL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wheres your rear reflector?  

However I have been trying to find someone with reflective black vinyl to make me a BFL

What you seek is 3M Scotchlite. Maybe we could get a run made in that rather than the standard vinyl that they use.  I had a helmet covered in silver checkerboard scotchlite over the stock silver paint.  At night, it makes it very easy for cagers behind you to see when you turn your head to look before a lane change.

The black Scotchlite looks black in daylight but is highly reflective eggshell white at night.

ETA: I'd be in for a couple of Scotchlite black BFL's in 1", 2" and 3"
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy crap , that's only a 100 dollar ticket around here
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What you seek is 3M Scotchlite. Maybe we could get a run made in that rather than the standard vinyl that they use.  I had a helmet covered in silver checkerboard scotchlite over the stock silver paint.  At night, it makes it very easy for cagers behind you to see when you turn your head to look before a lane change.

The black Scotchlite looks black in daylight but is highly reflective eggshell white at night.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly what i want. stealth during the day, attention getter at night.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Right?  But to a lot of people here (and elsewhere), if you have felony you deserve that and more.  When something that is normally an infraction can result in civil death, something is truly wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine losing your gun rights for life over the angle of a license plate.

Right?  But to a lot of people here (and elsewhere), if you have felony you deserve that and more.  When something that is normally an infraction can result in civil death, something is truly wrong.

I'm book marking this for all the threads where the retards go on about how all felons should be lynched.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Winner, winner. Chicken dinner.

I don't understand how the state can get away with some shit like that.

I could've done 55 through a kindergarten parking lot... twice for the same fee.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/1935486_10206622722824377_7555212018299630399_n.jpg?oh=4133810d792f5241aceff3e935a6b61f&oe=574937B5
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Motorcycle/Moped (wheels losing contact or tag improperly affixed)

I could've done 55 through a kindergarten parking lot... twice for the same fee.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/1935486_10206622722824377_7555212018299630399_n.jpg?oh=4133810d792f5241aceff3e935a6b61f&oe=574937B5

So you posted here to inform everyone you own a Moped

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gay sex in public
View Quote

I was going with this.

However....if you know something is against the law and you know the fine is retarded....
Why do it?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got nearly a $1,200 fine for an improperly affixed tag?

Yessir. That's the same exact face I made

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1369_10206623829452042_243957523746766895_n.jpg?oh=8c58b17a525f9665ef80aa7c5e41a4b8&oe=5739738A
Looks like it was a typo, and there is one too many 1's or 6's.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
That fee is way out of line compared to other things......

You could race 30+ Over in a construction zone (workers present) and it would stI'll be lower.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wanted to do just the rear around the tail light but got carried away and  painted the tail of a Kawasaki with reflective clear over neon orange. It wasn't possible to capture what it looked like in person,it looked like molten lava...I was young and thought it was an awesome idea

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Lol the moped riders get slammed with that too
View Quote
It is to discourage them from running from the law. Those mopeds are crazy fast when they try to make a run for it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is to discourage them from running from the law. Those mopeds are crazy fast when they try to make a run for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol the moped riders get slammed with that too

A true threat to the motoring public!

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

lots of bikes in FL with their tags mounted so they cant be easily seen from behind as to be able to run from the po-po.

they have made the fine very harsh to discourage it.
View Quote
This is exactly the reason for the fine, but holy cow. You could pass a stopped school bus while speeding with an open container and pay less money.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Ouch!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I would never live in a shitstained state like that.
No fucking way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
$1166 for not having your tag attached well enough?

View Quote

That only happens in California Paul.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Probably a DUI. If not maybe no proof of insurance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one of the damned stupidest things I've ever heard of!

Scanning that list of fines makes me think it's a misprint that has never been corrected. There are a host of charges that net $166.00. Awfully close...!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They want me to pay for the other 100 riders who tuned and burned when the blue lights came on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the rationale for having such a severe penalty for such a minor offence?

They want me to pay for the other 100 riders who tuned and burned when the blue lights came on.

You probably wouldve paid less in fines if you had done the same. Wholey shit that is an insane fine....
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Scanning that list of fines makes me think it's a misprint that has never been corrected. There are a host of charges that net $166.00. Awfully close...!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For about the zillionth time, it's not a misprint.  Ask the Florida State Legislature what they were thinking...because no one else really knows.  Somewhere I'm sure there's an explanation for the oddball numbers they picked.

Lake Clarke Shores has it's own PD?  Their entire jurisdiction is about 70% the size of my zone, almost the exact same population as one suburb in my zone..and I'm in the smallest zone in the entire agency.  But their traffic unit writes 2000 tickets per year according to their website, so they have that going for them which is nice...
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was going with this.

However....if you know something is against the law and you know the fine is retarded....
Why do it?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay sex in public

I was going with this.

Why do it?  

I did not know (and still don't think) that my plate was improperly affixed.

I certainly didn't know the associated fine would be so fucking retarded either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I'd contact the manufacturer of the plate mount and explain what happened, they may well have to get some sort of DOT approval before they go on the market that would be a defense against this charge. See what they say, it's in their best interest that you not get found guilty.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yep, and like I said residents typically get a pass but this guy just couldn't resist
View Quote

Ahhhhhhhh. Not big on caring about non-residents getting the ticket and only becomes a problem when they write a resident? How dare they.

That's a ridiculous fine though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sitting here enjoying a spicy Bloody Mary I think you have exactly two options.

1) Go for the not guilty. Fight this thing all the way. Use pictures like you provided. Maybe take a couple more. Your stance is that the tag is plainly visible or whatever FL law requires. You are in compliance with state law and the cop is wrong. No doubts. Be prepared for a trial where you will get to ask the officer questions. If you provide testimony you can be cross examined.Remember this, you don't just get to make a statement and call it day. If you make a statement the state has the right to ask you questions (generally speaking).
2) Put the original tag bracket back on take pics of it. Ride the bike to court. Feign ignorance and you did not know better, they sell these things in the store and you had no idea it would put you in violation of state law. Your record is clean and you want to keep it that way.

IMO, 1) I think you get found guilty. 2) I give you a 70/30 chance of an OK, you did not know better and fixed it. So I (the Judge) will give you this one and dismiss it.

Laws vary by state. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay sex in public

I was going with this.

Why do it?  

I did not know (and still don't think) that my plate was improperly affixed.

I certainly didn't know the associated fine would be so fucking retarded either.

Sitting here enjoying a spicy Bloody Mary I think you have exactly two options.

1) Go for the not guilty. Fight this thing all the way. Use pictures like you provided. Maybe take a couple more. Your stance is that the tag is plainly visible or whatever FL law requires. You are in compliance with state law and the cop is wrong. No doubts. Be prepared for a trial where you will get to ask the officer questions. If you provide testimony you can be cross examined.Remember this, you don't just get to make a statement and call it day. If you make a statement the state has the right to ask you questions (generally speaking).
2) Put the original tag bracket back on take pics of it. Ride the bike to court. Feign ignorance and you did not know better, they sell these things in the store and you had no idea it would put you in violation of state law. Your record is clean and you want to keep it that way.

IMO, 1) I think you get found guilty. 2) I give you a 70/30 chance of an OK, you did not know better and fixed it. So I (the Judge) will give you this one and dismiss it.

Laws vary by state. YMMV.

Even though I think the ticket and fine is 100% bullshit, and your tag looks prominently displayed to me, this isn't a bad option, but if you are going to get an attorney, I'd ask him before doing either of these. That sure is a shit deal you got there, OP, from one rider to another. I can't imagine getting a $1200 ticket for a fucking plate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I read the whole thread and this is the best idea yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I'd contact the manufacturer of the plate mount and explain what happened, they may well have to get some sort of DOT approval before they go on the market that would be a defense against this charge. See what they say, it's in their best interest that you not get found guilty.

I agree with krpind. Although, I bet they tell you that "of course it's not DOT legal. It's for off road use only" or some other line. Which, however shitty, screws you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Who would market a non-DOT approved license plate holder though?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with krpind. Although, I bet they tell you that "of course it's not DOT legal. It's for off road use only" or some other line. Which, however shitty, screws you.

Who would market a non-DOT approved license plate holder though?

China? Lol.
Probably the same people that make non-DOT helmets.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks like a fix it ticket around here...

Hell....I had a state cop tell me I can drive my quad into town to get gas, just keep it down and drive safe

Pull right up to the pump

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Pay the fine like a good little boy or face the consequences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay the fine like a good little boy or face the consequences.

Fuck that. Fight that shit to your death bed. I can understand if you had the plate stuffed under the fender or something stupid like that. But it's clear you weren't trying to hide the damn thing.

Bull shit law. Bull shit fine. Fight it to the death.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Standard dual sport mounting.

any more vertical and it will get ripped off on the trail.

ticket is BS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the fine is excessive but that looks like a classic hide the tag deal to me.

YMMV

Standard dual sport mounting.

any more vertical and it will get ripped off on the trail.

ticket is BS.

Yup.  Ripped the plate off my KLR an hour after putting it on (stock location).   Bottom the suspension, tire grabs plate and either folds it forward or rips it off and tries to mash it through swingarm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#36]

That's a douche ticket to write. He doesn't like it, warn, but 1200 bucks for that?! Bullcrap
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:32:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Lawyer up and go to court.  

That law makes about as much sense as gun control.  They're trying to combat the guys who don't run a plate, or run it so obscured you can't read it, and run from the cops every time because they know the no pursuit policies of their local agencies.  But it makes no sense... since guys who are going to run... are going to run.  

I had a KTM 530 supermoto with an identical plate set up in CA for two years.  Never pulled over.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:37:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

After the tax man gets me... four or five days.

Shitty thing is that it's more than half the value of the bike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's terrible.   Truly criminal.   (Not you, the State)

If you'll forgive my morbid curiosity, how many hours of work does that represent for you?

Or, to put it another way, how long would it take you to save $1166 ?

After the tax man gets me... four or five days.

Shitty thing is that it's more than half the value of the bike

Owch.man that's messed up.that's a BS ticket
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#39]
My KLR650 has a similar tag placement.  The problem with that bike is if you do any serious off roading you'll chew the license plate up with the factory plate holder.  I pulled one license plate off my bike without knowing it on some trail in the CO mountains, and my brother lost his somewhere in the VA mountains once on another KLR650.  Even with the plate moved up, the tire still chewed on it (as you can see in the picture below).

Similarly, on the way back from the shooting range on our bikes a cop pulled us over for my plate being "illegible".  Crock of shit, as it was perfectly easy for him to read, I think he just saw the rifle barrel sticking out of a sidebag and decided to look for a reason to pull us.  He proceeded to unload all of our bags all along the side of the road to check to make sure that the guns weren't "stolen" and then left us there with all of our shit out on the side of the road.

I can't imagine being slapped for $1200 for that horse shit.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Are you saying I should've brake checked the guy?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#43]
In case no one else has made the point:

I get that the stock setup isn't the most attractive.  But if the law arguably requires

such a set up, or would be satisfied by such a setup, why  not use it?

Is looking "cool" worth the risk of being pulled over and fined what is essentially the

cost of a LaRue upper?  
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In case no one else has made the point:

I get that the stock setup isn't the most attractive.  But if the law arguably requires
such a set up, or would be satisfied by such a setup, why  not use it?

Is looking "cool" worth the risk of being pulled over and fined what is essentially the
cost of a LaRue upper?  
View Quote

I'm still standing on that hill for now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unlikely.  They are almost certainly aware of the issue and have prominent disclosures on packaging/instruction manuals/catalog that advise the purchaser/installer to check local laws, etc.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#46]

DISMISSED
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Non-detailed post lacks much details
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Littering and...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Littering and...

Littering and...

SMOKING THE REEFER.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yessir. That's the same exact face I made

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1369_10206623829452042_243957523746766895_n.jpg?oh=8c58b17a525f9665ef80aa7c5e41a4b8&oe=5739738A

Oh look, revenue generation.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top