BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$1166 for not having your tag in the right spot??

WTF???

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Motorcycle/Moped (wheels losing contact or tag improperly affixed)

Winner, winner. Chicken dinner.

I don't understand how the state can get away with some shit like that.

I could've done 55 through a kindergarten parking lot... twice for the same fee.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/1935486_10206622722824377_7555212018299630399_n.jpg?oh=4133810d792f5241aceff3e935a6b61f&oe=574937B5

WTF???

This is why people open it up when the lights come on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
On my last dirt bike, I had the tag mounted flat on top of the rear fender. Never got a ticket for the tag, but OSP made me sit on the side of the road for 45min to get a speeding ticket (30deg outside). It was an XR250L and the ticket was for 77mph. It was worth the ticket to prove the bike would go that fast.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could've done 55 through a kindergarten parking lot... twice for the same fee.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/1935486_10206622722824377_7555212018299630399_n.jpg?oh=4133810d792f5241aceff3e935a6b61f&oe=574937B5

WTF???

No, that law is a knee-jerk reaction from half-wit legislators because of assholes that open it up when the lights come on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No, that law is a knee-jerk reaction from half-wit legislators because of assholes that open it up when the lights come on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, let's make the ticket's fine really high to target people who don't pay the tickets in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep, let's make the ticket's fine really high to target people who don't pay the tickets in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're a menace to society!  That'll show them!  

Politician logic right there...  
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I may have missed it, but what county did this fuckery occur? Want to make sure I'm in compliance just in case I run into officer dickbag in my travels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I may have missed it, but what county did this fuckery occur? Want to make sure I'm in compliance just in case I run into officer dickbag in my travels.

Quoted:
Let me take a wild guess....................................Brevard county?

Palm Beach.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Jesus, that's fucking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Dudes,

His picture has a State Road in it.... 704.... I hope none of you guys are Detectives...

Okeechobee Blvd, Downtown West Palm Beach at the Corner of Flagler Just East of City place and Just west of the Intercoastal.....

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I think Floriduh is now a serious contender for the "Most Asinine Traffic Law" title belt. Virginia's a tough contender with its "81 in a 70 is one step below a felony, mandatory appearance" reckless driving law.

But $1200 for a crooked license plate is pretty strong.

At least it's prepayable by mail. Personally, I'd show with a wheelbarrow full of change.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I would pay a lot of money to not pay that fine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the route I'm going.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I didn't read all 5 pages of the thread.

Was your plate mounted in the factory license plate location with the proper factory lighting?  If so, I'd say you have a valid defense.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No they should not. If you are going to drive like a complete asshat the first thing you do is bolt your tag on inside the rear fender. Then you bend it forward so that there is no chance in hell it can be read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lots of bikes in FL with their tags mounted so they cant be easily seen from behind as to be able to run from the po-po.

they have made the fine very harsh to discourage it.

Perhaps they should be reasonable for the first offense and not complete assholes.

No they should not. If you are going to drive like a complete asshat the first thing you do is bolt your tag on inside the rear fender. Then you bend it forward so that there is no chance in hell it can be read.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Brevard's pretty good for bikes, afaik.

At last, if you're riding in ABU's.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#15]
$1100 for a fender eliminator?    I hope you do fight it and win!

I'll be sure I don't pop any $1100 wheelies if I am down in your area.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy sh*t.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fucked up man.

Fight that shit

I hope you win buddy
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think the fine is excessive but that looks like a classic hide the tag deal to me.

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think the fine is excessive but that looks like a classic hide the tag deal to me.

YMMV

That's why I was asking if the plate was in the factory location.  I don't ride bikes, so I just don't understand why the plates are so rarely mounted in a vertical position.  How would the plate mounted in a vertical position like it is supposed to be effect the bike?
WTA-I don't agree with the fine, but I understand.  I've had more bikes run from me than stop.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Palm Beach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Palm Beach.

Was it FHP or WPPD?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#21]
As a cop, I'd have to say that's a BULL SHIT ticket and if one of my guys gave that ticket to you I'd void it out and not turn it in as a charge.

The wheelie laws and tag laws in Florida stem from tons of BS street bikers pull... I usually have no sympathy for street bikers hauling ass and passing in no passing zones, etc., BUT... an officer should exhibit some fucking common sense as to the laws application. Unless the OP had been stopped and warned in the past, the ticket is absolute BS. There's no way in hell I could have wrote such a ticket.

I'd certainly fight that one in court using current day pictures, I'd also take the bike to court and offer the Judge or hearing officer an opportunity to see it. I'd play my defense on the "legislative intent" of the law and hope the Judge exhibits some common sense. I'd also have a corrective plan laid for the Judge if the tag has not already been altered.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was it FHP or WPPD?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Palm Beach.

Was it FHP or WPPD?

Lake Clarke Shores.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would go straight to the VIII th amendment. No excessive fine.
View Quote

Nah man - it's not a fine. It's court costs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Wheres your rear reflector?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's there.

You can't see it (because the tag is blocking it) but I put reflective tape along the rear fender.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Holy crap.  That's a $25 fine in PA.  After all the additional fees its about $120 all said and done.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's there.

You can't see it (because the tag is blocking it) but I put reflective tape along the rear fender.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's there.

Gotcha.

That fine is ridiculous.  Probably 50% of all motorcycles around here run theirs vertical stuck on one side of the swingarm.

That said, fight the fuck out of this.  And why are you riding in shorts and tennis shoes?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:

YMMV

Standard duel sport mounting.

any more vertical and it will get ripped off on the trail.

ticket is BS.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm such an outlaw. no reflectors here.

However I have been trying to find someone with reflective black vinyl to make me a BFL
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's why I was asking if the plate was in the factory location.  I don't ride bikes, so I just don't understand why the plates are so rarely mounted in a vertical position.  How would the plate mounted in a vertical position like it is supposed to be effect the bike?
WTA-I don't agree with the fine, but I understand.  I've had more bikes run from me than stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

The factory mounting looks like shit IMHO. Most of the people I know that use those kits are doing it to clean up the lines of the bike.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lake Clarke Shores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Palm Beach.

Was it FHP or WPPD?

Lake Clarke Shores.

Damn, that is one small town with a most likely a small town police force trying to cash in any way they can. I did not even know it existed.
Correction, I did not know its name, but whenever getting off I-95 I knew not to speed even 2 miles over the speed limit when heading west and that the cops were dicks.  Sorry OP.

Lake Clarke Shores is a town in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States.
The population was 3,451 at the 2000 census.
As of 2004, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 3,475.

Population:3,472 (2013)

Area:1.1 mi²

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I guess people are getting sick of bikers' shit.  Like doing wheelies down the highway and hiding their tags so they can't be reported. I'm not saying you did that, but people are really getting tired of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got nearly a $1,200 fine for an improperly affixed tag?

Yessir. That's the same exact face I made

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1369_10206623829452042_243957523746766895_n.jpg?oh=8c58b17a525f9665ef80aa7c5e41a4b8&oe=5739738A

I guess people are getting sick of bikers' shit.  Like doing wheelies down the highway and hiding their tags so they can't be reported. I'm not saying you did that, but people are really getting tired of it.

That's relevant how?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Damn, that is one small town with a most likely a small town police force trying to cash in any way they can. I did not even know it existed.
Correction, I did not know its name, but whenever getting off I-95 I knew not to speed even 2 miles over the speed limit when heading west and that the cops were dicks.  Sorry OP.

Lake Clarke Shores is a town in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States.
The population was 3,451 at the 2000 census.
As of 2004, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 3,475.

Population:3,472 (2013)

Area:1.1 mi²

View Quote

Yep, and like I said residents typically get a pass but this guy just couldn't resist
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
lots of bikes in FL with their tags mounted so they cant be easily seen from behind as to be able to run from the po-po.

View Quote

This. Lotta biker thugs bend the plate or otherwise monkey with it so that they can run from the police or escape cameras. I have zero problem with this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This. Lotta biker thugs bend the plate or otherwise monkey with it so that they can run from the police or escape cameras. I have zero problem with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the worst-behaved assholes now set the legal bar for all of us.

Let's play that out further and talk about guns...
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think Floriduh is now a serious contender for the "Most Asinine Traffic Law" title belt. Virginia's a tough contender with its "81 in a 70 is one step below a felony, mandatory appearance" reckless driving law.

But $1200 for a crooked license plate is pretty strong.

At least it's prepayable by mail. Personally, I'd show with a wheelbarrow full of change.
View Quote

Good luck in getting through security screening at the courthouse to go to the clerks office to pay it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is an absolutely retarded amount of money to pay for something like that. How in the blue hell can they do that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the "Live Free or Die" State no less
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the OP ever say how his plate met the standard for the punishment?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's so hard to attach your plate correctly? This isn't a gun issue its a motor vehicle issue.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Because it's so hard to attach your plate correctly? This isn't a gun issue its a motor vehicle issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol that faint crack you heard overhead was his point passing you by at mach 2.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same fucky logic applies, just ask your local Hillary supporter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Live free or die" doesn't mean do whatever the fuck you want. Read up on General Stark who originated the term.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This may be a ripe case to take all the way.

I know this sounds funny but it's cruel and unusual punishment , a fine or penalty must fit the "crime".

You know if it's over turned the state has to return all those fines with interest.

I would think a Federal Judge would look at that as vague and an overreach by the state in the amount.

The judge can compare the more egregious violations like street racing at $231.00 and know it's way off base.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#45]
In my youth, I received a $5400 ticket. Bikes are to much fun. Got a lawyer and got it reduced to $750, of course the lawyer was $750 as well.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Lake Clarke? I know a guy who lives on Alpha Ct. off Pinetree.... that's a small community to get this ticket in!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I sped. I followed too closely. I ran a stop sign. I almost hit a Chevy. I sped some more. I failed to yield at a crosswalk. I changed lanes at the intersection. I changed lanes without signaling while running a red light and *speeding*!
View Quote
"Is that all?"

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's terrible.   Truly criminal.   (Not you, the State)

If you'll forgive my morbid curiosity, how many hours of work does that represent for you?

Or, to put it another way, how long would it take you to save $1166 ?
View Quote

Make that around $1,600; the fine is not deductible and must be paid with after tax earnings.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What really gets me is how did those fucks up in Trailerhassee come up with that number... $1166?

Why not make it an even 12... shiet, let's just make it 1500...
View Quote

I noticed that a lot of the fines ended in a 6.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This may be a ripe case to take all the way.   I know this sounds funny but it's cruel and unusual punishment , a fine or penalty must fit the "crime".
You know if it's over turned the state has to return all those fines with interest.

I would think a Federal Judge would look at that as vague and an overreach by the state in the amount.
The judge can compare the more egregious violations like street racing at $231.00 and know it's way off base.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may be a ripe case to take all the way.   I know this sounds funny but it's cruel and unusual punishment , a fine or penalty must fit the "crime".

I agree.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top