Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/18/2016 9:37:16 PM EDT
Its cold out here.  Foretasted low of 13F. I had to replace my entire upstairs heat pump last summer due to annual repair costs.  I'm burning a kerosene heater to keep the family warm upstairs with natural gas furnace for downstairs.  The heat pump seems to do well as long as it temps do not dip below 34 or 35F and the EM heat is marginal.

How does yours hold up?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
About 30 degrees.  Supposed to get down to 8 tonight   When this one dies,  I'll never own another.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I use it till it hits about 35 then I switch to oil
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Its cold out here.  Foretasted low of 13F. I had to replace my entire upstairs heat pump last summer due to annual repair costs.  I'm burning a kerosene heater to keep the family warm upstairs with natural gas furnace for downstairs.  The heat pump seems to do well as long as it temps do not dip below 34 or 35F and the EM heat is marginal.

How does yours hold up?
View Quote

I think your experience is normal.   Once temperatures get into the low 30s the resistant coils kick in and all efficiency is lost.  NG heat is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything below 25 or so it runs a lot.  Under 20 it's emergency heat more than regular air.  But I'm in ga so it's good for me 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
At the point they are installed...heat pumps are fucking useless.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It works great with no em down to the low 20's, first stage em/30a Heat strip down in to the singles, second stage em/100a works all the way down.

I love my heat pump, and while it runs a lot/non stop, it's still efficient.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About 30 degrees.  Supposed to get down to 8 tonight   When this one dies,  I'll never own another.
View Quote

Yea, it's not doing shit right now, but it's dirt cheap to heat and cool shit when the weather is above 35. My electric bills average $125 each month, my electric bills were equal in Michigan, then we'd have $300 gas bills for heat in winter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am regretting it too.  It would have been a extra grand or two for a split system like my downstairs setup - mostly labor and running a long gas line to my attic.  It would have paid off in comfort on the exceptionally cold years.  This is not one of those years....yet.
The one concern I had was the code required venting in the roof and the side of the house to allow natural gas in there.    Gas logs here I come!
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Our heat pump performs poorly at anything below 30*. This time of year my power bill quadruples. Doesn't help my house is 80+ years old and never had insulation. Been slowly going through and replacing the plaster and lath with drywall and adding insulation. Upstairs finished a month or two ago. Maybe this year I'll finally see a drop in my power bill.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even in climates with moderate heating temperatures?  I'm pretty sure they are the Cat's Pajamas in the northwest.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yea, it's not doing shit right now, but it's dirt cheap to heat and cool shit when the weather is above 35. My electric bills average $125 each month, my electric bills were equal in Michigan, then we'd have $300 gas bills for heat in winter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is certainly the upside.  With the mild temps here in central NC this winter I've had no power bills over $130 and we cook a lot at home.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#12]

my dad lives in Sneads Ferry NC. He has a heat pump. His wont work below 35, so he bought a propane fireplace against my advice. That thing doesn't do much except suck fuel out of the tank and heat the living room.

I had him buy small  electric heaters for the times like now. Hes a real active 80 year old, but when hes hanging out watching TV those electric heaters are nice.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Flipping a house, owner decided on a heat pump, installer recommended leaving the boiler in place for extra heat.  How worthless is a primary heater that needs a second primary heater as a supplement?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one when I lived in KS for 18 months.

It sucked and was useless at anything under 45 degrees.

But this was back in 1997 so things may have changed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine is like 35 or so.  It is dual fuel though so when it hits that number it switches on the propane furnace.

We use wood mainly, I've only burned 20% of my 500 gallon tank since filling it in February 15.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive sealed off various problem leaks as best I can.

Seems like in my house its the outlets and the switches that let the air pour in.  I guess there must be very little insulation in the walls

Poor Heatpump (lol) will never shut off if I dont have the Vent Free propane running.  With the propane it only has to work when Im not home.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
We have one --- actually wife got suckered into one before we got married and we live in her home instead o mine--- POS. However,,, we use a gas fireplace to help..They are probably fine in Calif or Fla.....We get by.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#19]
My only experience with a heat pump was my grandmothers house.  The heat that came from the vents was never "hot."  It just felt like mediocre warm air.  I have a water stove.  Going to get down to 12 here tonight and it is plugging along outside 110 ft from my house.  Heat from the vents is HOT.  I installed it myself, have my own free wood supply, and after paying off the initial investment, my heat is basically free other than the power to run my blower and water pump.

I would never own a heat pump unless I lived much further south and had NG back up heat for those occasional cold spells.  Even in NC it regularly stays in the 20's for extended periods of time which means your electric coils are doing the heating and your Duke Power meter is twirling like a rotor blade.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

I saved so much $$ on propane with mine, I had to laugh when I read that sentence. Our current place has electric heat/heat pump, and the heat strip furnace never kicks on except for the rare night under 20 degrees. Works damned fine in the warmer months cooling the place off.

Dunno what's worthless about all that. They save you a SHIT ton of more expensive heating in the moderate temps. For most climates, they're anything but worthless.

To the OP, there are some HP's that are very efficient and can still work fairly well down to very low temps, but most models don't do well below freezing.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I have one and when it dies I will not pay for another. Going with regular A/C with heat strips.

We only use our heaters a few days a year.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Low 30's and they're all but useless. Gas heat FTW
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I have one and when it dies I will not pay for another. Regular A/C with heat strips.

We only use our heaters a few days a year.
View Quote

Here you go, for the wrong climates, they're not much use.

For those with 4 seasons? They are good money savers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think your experience is normal.   Once temperatures get into the low 30s the resistant coils kick in and all efficiency is lost.  NG heat is the only way to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does yours hold up?

This ^

My buddy owns a local HVAC company and installed a nice heat pump / AC set up for me a couple years ago and hooked it up correctly with my existing late model gas fired furnace

Heat pump heats my joint when its above 40 degrees and the gas fired furnace kicks in when its below 40

Has to do with efficiency

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Our heat pump only feeds the upstairs vents.

We have a separate gas furnace and AC downstairs, and a gas fireplace.

I set the thermostats so the pump only runs a little to circulate air in the winter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#26]
You need to do better research. There are better heat pumps now a days that are more efficient with colder temps

You shouldn't rely on them as primary heat sources. Unless your climate allows you to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I need to get a new boiler or add some radiators or something. I can max out my thermostat and there are still places in my basement that fall below 32f temp.

how many btus should I have for a 1700 sq ft house in minneapolis, built in the 80s with no real insulation upgrades ever.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My only experience with a heat pump was my grandmothers house.  The heat that came from the vents was never "hot."  It just felt like mediocre warm air.  I have a water stove.  Going to get down to 12 here tonight and it is plugging along outside 110 ft from my house.  Heat from the vents is HOT.  I installed it myself, have my own free wood supply, and after paying off the initial investment, my heat is basically free other than the power to run my blower and water pump.

I would never own a heat pump unless I lived much further south and had NG back up heat for those occasional cold spells.  Even in NC it regularly stays in the 20's for extended periods of time which means your electric coils are doing the heating and your Duke Power meter is twirling like a rotor blade.
View Quote

Not being super hot has the advantage of not drying out the air as well.  But when em kicks on, it does get hot.

I'm in SE PA and wouldn't go back to anything other than heat pumps for my climate.  I love them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine is good down to about 25. Once it dips below that, i suplement with natural gas fireplace. I just turn the logs on and turn the split unit fan to constant on. It will pull the gas log heat and circulate it well. The heat pump won't even run if I turn the logs up to half way.

Heat pumps are great for certain areas. I couldn't see using one up north but in the deep south it is efficient 98% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine goes down to about 22*F then it starts blowing cold, if the winds blowing it's about 28*F. Since we got the new control panel and the furnace is operating right again, the backup propane furnace comes on when it's about 30*F outside.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#31]
At 40 mine starts to struggle to keep the temperature constant.  It will only drop a degree or two inside though.  At freezing the house can drop 5-7 degrees.  Below that I need supplemental heat in one form or another.  My heat pump switches off completely under 20 degrees and the gas furnace kicks in.

I have an old brick home, no insulation, and large single pane windows.  Heat does not stay in my house at all.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I live in Southern Ohio, have a newer 1800 sg ft house.  We are all electric, including heat pump.  Our average electric bill is $160.00.  
Fuck cutting wood or propane.  I set the thermostat on 70 and do not move it year round.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Check out the ductless high efficiency heat pumps from Mitsubishi.  They will work into the teens.  Great in the summer also for cooling.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#35]
i like Natural Gas Heat,
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Suckers!

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Low 30's and they're all but useless. Gas heat FTW
View Quote
Mine is set to swap over at 37. Then gas ftw.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#39]
The place I lived in in NC had one.  It was horribleworthless once the temp got below 30ish outside.

I've got some nice NG heat where I'm living now in the Midwest.  Supposed to get down to 2 tonight.  Loving it.  

Quoted: I'm burning a kerosene heater to keep the family warm upstairs with natural gas furnace for downstairs.  
View Quote

I'm sure you're smart enough to make sure your kerosene heater is vented.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Check out the ductless high efficiency heat pumps from Mitsubishi.  They will work into the teens.  Great in the summer also for cooling.
View Quote

Do you have this setup now?  I have an attic room which is poorly insulated due to the location.  I've done my best with radiant barriers and maxed out the insulation but it gets super hot and super cold up there.  Currently it is a zone off my upstairs heat pump but I keep it off this time of the year because it is storage but can be setup as a master bath.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#41]
A good one will work okay down to about 25-28F, after that.  Nope.  One thing about it, it can run all night and as long as your aux strips aren't coming on it is still cheaper to run than a electric coil unit.  Gas, is another story though.

Supposed to be 20F here in the AM.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I replaced my system a few years ago and added a heat pump to the mix.  I had one in the mid-80's and it sucked.  This one does a nice job but it is set to switch over to gas at a certain point.  It's 9 degrees out and we're running on gas.  My house is about 3600 square feet plus basement and my utilities average $233 per month.

I have no hate for my new heatpump.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I am sitting here in front of my woodstove laughing OP, laughing......

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
i like Natural Gas Heat,
View Quote

I wish I could get natural gas in my area.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm on geothermal
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How does yours hold up?
View Quote

Mine stops being useful at about the same temperature.
My EM heater is 15KW, so it works fine, just costs an arm and a leg to run.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had one when I lived in KS for 18 months.

It sucked and was useless at anything under 45 degrees.
But this was back in 1997 so things may have changed.
View Quote

This

Our HP seems to fall off around 40-45 too. I dont rely on it anymore cause it doesnt heat worth a crap and the temperature swings are stupid. Gas heat is what I resort to most.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Ours is good down to about 35 and then it's time to shut it off and light a fire in the wood stove in the basement and turn on the propane fireplace insert in the living room.  With the heat pump in its working range we can easily keep the house at 70 degrees without the heat pump running too much.  When it gets down below 40 it will start cycling at the rate of 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off.

That's when it's time to switch to wood and propane.  With the wood stove and fireplace insert we can be in mid-70s degree comfort with the woodstove only burning during the evening.  The basement stays in the 60s with the stove and hearth radiating heat for over 12 hours after the fire goes out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Evaporator outside will ice up which kills heat transfer from outside air to refrigerant .  so around freezing is the limit on most.  Even though most have a defrost cycle.

Go with ground source heat pumps.  You bank heat in the summer and use it in the winter..my in-laws have free well water so they just dump it in the field.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#50]
It's 23 outside right now and my heat pump is keeping my house at 70.  I've had no trouble with mine and my electric bill last month was $105.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top