Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was she bikini worthy?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We'd just gotten to Afghanistan and were at FOB Wilson (A Canadian base).

They had artillery folks there (Including this one gal who used to run around in a bikini [NO SHIT!] during

fire missions).

One day a Canadian SF (So we were told) unit screwed up and dropped a case of C-4 off the ass end of one of their vehicles

(While un-assing an ambush).

The area was under observation by other Canadian Forces.  They sat there for a couple of hours watching the local

bad guys trying to recover the C-4.  Every time they (Bad Guys) got close they got scared (I guess because they knew

'Wilson's guns were there...?) and backed off.  The battery at Wilson had their Comms on a speaker like American

Top 40 () so, once we realized what was going on we climbed on top of the Hescos to watch the show.  The

BD's would sneak up to the C-4, lose their nerve and then back off.
This went on for a couple of hours.

Finally...they fent and Wilson's 155's rained "Surprise Buttsex" on them.  It was like being at the Super Bowl! lol

Opening shot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/treadhead/P1000039.jpg

Was she bikini worthy?

Yeah, she actually was

I was only there for a couple of weeks but she was a frickin' ICON on that base.  

The other thing I remembered from there was going into the chow hall every day and the big, hand painted signs

in front of the 24/7 TV's with (hockey on all the time) that said..."Don't change the fuckin' channel!"

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Djibouti. Not technically a warzone, per se.

Saw a monkey attack a kid with a knife.
View Quote

Fuck that place.  One of the worst shit holes I've ever been to.  I saw a babboon rip a dog apart there.  Some guys were walking with the babboon, it had a really heavy chain attached to it.  Stray dog came running out of an alley barking and that babboon just went ape shit (literally) on it.  By the time it was over the babboon was beating the dog with it's own ripped off limbs.

When we first got there we were going to go for a run on the trail along the airfield.  We noticed on the way out that the guard tower was manned, it was odd because it was the only manned tower on the whole camp.  When we got back they were closing the gate up for the night and we asked them why they were in that tower and none of the other ones.  They told us they were there specifically to watch the runners in case the local pack of hyenas showed up.  Did my running in the gym on a treadmill after that.

We did go play the golf course while we were there.  I can't remember how many holes it had but it seems like it wasn't even nine holes, something like 6 or 7.  It was nothing but a big sand trap.  You'd tee off and your caddy would go running out to find your ball.  If you'd hit into the "fairway" he would pick it up, place down a square of artificial turf and you played off of it.  The greens were big patches of tarred sand.

The Marines there had a rugby team.  There was a French FOreign Legion post down the road a ways and they heard our guys had a team and wanted to play a match.  They quit halfway through because the Marines were playing too rough.  They particularly zeroed in their compaints on one Marine in particular who had made a couple good tackles.  Marine was a female.

Also when we first got there they had just busted up a prostitution ring.  Some of the Navy chicks found an empty housing tent and set up a brothel and swingers club.  How that went on for any length of time on that tiny little place blew my mind.

Djiboutians chew khat.  They're all starving to death because they're poor but they have money for this stuff.  Anyway the khat plane flies in shipments every day or so into the airport there.  The Djiboutian airfield is a tiny one strip operation, military and civilian use.  One day a C5 came in and broke down.  Things were crowded but not too bad until the C5 that was bringing the repair parts came in and also broke down and didn't bring the right parts.  It shut the airport down for a few days and that meant no khat coming in.  The whole city nearly rioted over that.  They ended up using Navy CH53s to bring in the khat until they could get those planes off the ground.

Final Djiboui story.  One night around midnight there was a huge commotion over at the shoot house.  MPs and medics running around, we thought someone got shot during a live fire.  Story came out the next day, two Navy LT CDRs were meeting up there at night to fuck.  Female was bent over in a window sill on the 2nd floor and male bucked her out the window.  She broke her arm and got knocked out and he paniced and beat feet, leaving her there.  She woke up some time later and started screaming for help.  Took them a few days to get her out of there and it was hard not to laugh whenever you saw her walking around with two black eyes and arm in a sling.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Apparent sexual abuse of small children.  Piles of dead ANP.  Places like Afghanistan are fucked up.
View Quote

Yeah it was all over the place, just under the surface.

Reminds me of the time we were late for movement with the ANA and Polish. One of the Polish Soldiers went to look for the ANA Sergeant Major and apparently had caught the Sergeant Major caught fucking his Chai boy. He had him bent over the desk, going to town like he was a $20 hooker that owed him money. There are some things I just don't need to know about. The Polish Soldier was pretty detailed with his story, makes me wonder. Worst or best part of the story, the Chai boy was around 12 IIRC.

Every time I think about that, part of me wishes I would have caught him, there would be one less pedophile on this planet, and part of me is glad I didn't because I would be in Leavenworth now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

RPC was bizarre in itself.  I stayed there in 2005, was with 96th CAB and one of our companies was deployed ISO 5th SFG.

RPC was one of Saddam's "pleasure palaces".  They'd use these places to take kidnapped women to rape or political enemies to torture.  The Iraqis were scared of the place.  When you came in the gate there was a small compound with large cages.  Rumor was that there were lions kept there when Saddam was in power that were used to dispose of victims once they were done raping/torturing them.  They had the Iraqi SF trainees living in the cages.  I never saw the lions but I did see tracks so I guess when the war happened someone just let them out.

There was an indoor and an outdoor pool.  Outdoor pool wasn't up and running while I was there.

The big front doors were sandbagged, you had to go around the back and come in through the service entrance.  I stayed in a little room off to the right there, we had our own shower back in there but none of the shitters in the place worked.  There were porta shitters outside.  There was a room before mine that looked partially unfinished.  It had a dirt floor and the lights didn't work.  When I first got there I looked in and shined a flashlight.  Room was full of cats.

Going to the left took you down a hallway back to the big main doors.  It was a classic palace entryway, lots of carved stone, marble floors, big curving staircase.  A lot of the detail work had been removed but there was enough left to realize it was nice when it was all put together.  

Going up the stairs took you to a screened in smoking porch and the big formal dining room.  The dining room was the MWR area.  There was like a 30ft dining table (really nice, carved legs, inlaid wood top, matching padded chairs, the works) covered in laptops we could use to surf the internet and email home and stuff.  Table top was covered in graffiti.  Thought it was funny, Saddam used to entertain guests at that table and now it was covered in dicks and "for a good time call" jokes.

They had another place that was also used for MWR, a little house built by a pond or canal, can't remember.  There was fish in the water and they had fishing poles and bait to check out at the desk.

Another smaller palace on the compound was our DFAC.  It was still pretty nice inside.

One time I went to the motor pool and they had just brought in a HMMWV that had been hit by an RPG and an IED.  RPG made a perfect dead center hit on the driver's windshield.  Looking inside, the upperleft corner of the driver's seat was blown off and there was another impact on the rear firewall just to the right of the driver's side rear passenger seat.  The passenger side tire was gone and the hood was blown to hell.  Was told everyone made it out of that truck with just minor injuries.  When the IED hit them it blew the truck up in the air and came back down right side up; driver saw the guy with the RPG step out in the street and yelled out and ducked.  Someone was looking out for those guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming back from a little party at RPC a SF compound late one night and having a lion jump across the dirt road in front of me.
Was back there the next morning and huge paw prints where in the middle of the road.

RPC was bizarre in itself.  I stayed there in 2005, was with 96th CAB and one of our companies was deployed ISO 5th SFG.

RPC was one of Saddam's "pleasure palaces".  They'd use these places to take kidnapped women to rape or political enemies to torture.  The Iraqis were scared of the place.  When you came in the gate there was a small compound with large cages.  Rumor was that there were lions kept there when Saddam was in power that were used to dispose of victims once they were done raping/torturing them.  They had the Iraqi SF trainees living in the cages.  I never saw the lions but I did see tracks so I guess when the war happened someone just let them out.

There was an indoor and an outdoor pool.  Outdoor pool wasn't up and running while I was there.

The big front doors were sandbagged, you had to go around the back and come in through the service entrance.  I stayed in a little room off to the right there, we had our own shower back in there but none of the shitters in the place worked.  There were porta shitters outside.  There was a room before mine that looked partially unfinished.  It had a dirt floor and the lights didn't work.  When I first got there I looked in and shined a flashlight.  Room was full of cats.

Going to the left took you down a hallway back to the big main doors.  It was a classic palace entryway, lots of carved stone, marble floors, big curving staircase.  A lot of the detail work had been removed but there was enough left to realize it was nice when it was all put together.  

Going up the stairs took you to a screened in smoking porch and the big formal dining room.  The dining room was the MWR area.  There was like a 30ft dining table (really nice, carved legs, inlaid wood top, matching padded chairs, the works) covered in laptops we could use to surf the internet and email home and stuff.  Table top was covered in graffiti.  Thought it was funny, Saddam used to entertain guests at that table and now it was covered in dicks and "for a good time call" jokes.

They had another place that was also used for MWR, a little house built by a pond or canal, can't remember.  There was fish in the water and they had fishing poles and bait to check out at the desk.

Another smaller palace on the compound was our DFAC.  It was still pretty nice inside.

One time I went to the motor pool and they had just brought in a HMMWV that had been hit by an RPG and an IED.  RPG made a perfect dead center hit on the driver's windshield.  Looking inside, the upperleft corner of the driver's seat was blown off and there was another impact on the rear firewall just to the right of the driver's side rear passenger seat.  The passenger side tire was gone and the hood was blown to hell.  Was told everyone made it out of that truck with just minor injuries.  When the IED hit them it blew the truck up in the air and came back down right side up; driver saw the guy with the RPG step out in the street and yelled out and ducked.  Someone was looking out for those guys.

I was at RPC on and off again through out 2005. I worked 12hr shifts at the ECP off by it self in Indian country with the Iraqi LSF and a hand full of SF and Hawaii NG.
The LSF where Iraqis trained by SF to provide security. I either lived at a private compound near the air traffic control tower about 300 yards away from the flight line at BIAP or on Victory.  Was living at the IZ and Taji a few times as well.

The Hawaii NG was in running the base security at RPC. The DFAC was really good there and every once in a while someone would be shooting off the roof with a Barret.

The cages where for lions and there was a large pond / pit that had been filled in by US troops that had held alligators or crocodiles. Story has it that people would be fed to the animals. The hole Victory complex was like a hunting preserve for Saddam and his friends.

When SF teams did a large raid they held bad guys in the cages. Saw at least 100 dudes in there at one point when Abu Ghraib was over crowded.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was at RPC on and off again through out 2005. I worked 12hr shifts at the ECP off by it self in Indian country with the Iraqi LSF and a hand full of SF and Hawaii NG.
The LSF where Iraqis trained by SF to provide security. During that. I either lived at a private compound near the air traffic control tower about 300 yards away from the flight line at BIAP or on Victory.  Was living at the IZ and Taji a few times as well.

The Hawaii NG was in running the base security at RPC. The DFAC was really good there and every once in a while someone would be shooting off the roof with a Barret.

The cages where for lions and there was a large pond / pit that had been filled in by US troops that had held alligators or crocodiles. Story has it that people would be fed to the animals. The hole Victory complex was like a hunting preserve for Saddam and his friends.

When SF teams did a large raid they  held bad guys in the cages. Saw at least 100 dudes in there at one point when Abu Ghraib was over crowded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming back from a little party at RPC a SF compound late one night and having a lion jump across the dirt road in front of me.
Was back there the next morning and huge paw prints where in the middle of the road.

The LSF where Iraqis trained by SF to provide security. During that. I either lived at a private compound near the air traffic control tower about 300 yards away from the flight line at BIAP or on Victory.  Was living at the IZ and Taji a few times as well.

When SF teams did a large raid they  held bad guys in the cages. Saw at least 100 dudes in there at one point when Abu Ghraib was over crowded.

True. I had to guy a few prisoners in 2004 that was held inside these cages.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Djiboutians chew khat. They're all starving to death because they're poor but they have money for this stuff.
View Quote

Khat is an amphetamine-like stimulant, which suppresses the appetite.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone tried to google map the places they lived in Iraq?

Found almost everyplace I lived that was located in or around Baghdad.

I think the satellite view was updated this year. .
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Read all 13 pages rare even if it was a long.  Reminded me of listening to my Uncles and Great Uncles, WW2, Korean and Vietnam vets.

I did like this one from an interview of Mel Brooks who served in WW2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Read all 13 pages rare even if it was a long.  Reminded me of listening to my Uncles and Great Uncles, WW2, Korean and Vietnam vets.

I did like this one from an interview of Mel Brooks who served in WW2.

Mel’s funniest war story
I was a corporal in World War II. One day, I took eight guys out on a scouting mission, and we found a box of German rifles. Nearby, there were telephone polls with the ceramic insulators at the top. So I say, “A buck a piece—whoever can knock off the most insulators gets the pot.” We grab the rifles and start shooting. Somebody from Arkansas—they know how to do it—knocked off all of them and gets the nine bucks. When we get back to our base, sirens are going off. Everybody’s running around. I see my sergeant and ask what’s going on. He says, “Communications have been cut off between the 7th Army and the 26th Corps. All the telephone lines are down. We think there are snipers and we’re getting a patrol together to find them.” Now, I’m a little scared. I know exactly who’s at fault. So I said, “Okay, count me in.” and out I went again. We never did find them.

There's a Willie and Joe cartoon about that.....  "Dammit Willie, it wasn't your turn."
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
the mosques playing the haji music over the speakers all the time in Baghdad, sounded like the music from blade runner, especially when I 1st got there during october rain season...

everything was gray with lightning and no rain, all the buildings and cars on fire, dead floating down the canals beside the streets, speakers blaring that good awful music from blade runner
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So there we were, Helmand Province in 2010 doing Route Clearance on Highway 1. As we are creeping along all of a sudden we come across two Marines in a 7 ton all by themselves driving down the highway. Apparently they were separated from their Unit and were lost as fuck. Don't remember if they even had a MG on the roof or just had their rifles.

View Quote

I know of a guy that was told to drive a badly damaged Bradley by himself, got separated from the rest of his element and completely lost, and somehow made it from New Baghdad to Falcon. I'm sure that was an ass puckering experience.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Uh, like this?

http://youtu.be/G5goISKPSH8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had known these guys for some time, over a year, and as far as it goes there was trust...gone on raids, immigration sweeps (yes, illegal aliens were a problem) drank tea, held hands, all of that. (They were all Sunni, so no man loving) I had been to one of their daughters wedding at a hotel along the tigris.

I had heard of the 'chobi' in a strange way...every day when we met with our counterparts, often the first hour was an open door problem solving session, we dealt with everything from ammo shortages to broken guns, family emergencies, payroll issues, dating advice, witness protections, even got some meds from the cash for a sick goat. More than  once, either thru the terps, or in poor English I had heard something along the line of 'maybe one day we will dance the chobi together', or 'in my dreams me and you danced the chobi', ok, weird right, but hey, that's their culture. According to the terps it was a compliment.

SNIP

Uh, like this?

http://youtu.be/G5goISKPSH8
zombies
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was in Ramadi as a contractor in 06.  Got tasked with checking out a route towards Hit (I think rt Michigan), so I was riding along with a NG route clearance patrol one night.  As we got into Hit, the convoy stopped and everybody was yawning and such; I asked why we were stopped in the middle of the road.  The Buffalo driver said that there was an IED, but I hadn't seen the Husky doing anything, and there wasn't anything going on over the radio.  As the LT in the Buffalo explained, there was an IED there every night.  "They even put it in the same crater cos' they're too lazy to dig.  They even re-use the same wire."  Sure as shit, EOD blows the IED and we move forward and stop again with the Buff's lights on the crater.  I can plainly see the wire, which is routed up into the window of a building just forward of us about 10 yds from the roadway.  There's a guy peeking out from the window at us, and I ask the LT why they don't shoot his ass in the face.  "Our ROE says we can't dismount and clear structures, and we can only shoot back if we take fire."  I said "but an IED is technically fire."  "We can't do anything."  I said "wait here, I'll go shoot his ass!"  They just chuckled.  As they saw it, it was fine because they knew where the IED was.  I thought it was a waste of good C4.

On another night patrol with the same guys, there was a strange looking Soldier sitting across from me in the Buffalo.  He was wearing ACUs with Major leaves, but he clearly didn't look to me like he was in the Army.  I struck up a conversation, and he said he was Navy EOD tasked to this NG unit.  Shortly thereafter, a Husky found an IED and our Buffalo uncovered it.  Two arty shells, 105s I think.  We backed up and the Cougar directly in front of us deploys a robot with a block of C4 to place on the IED.  It takes them forever to get that thing set up, and when the operator finally got the now armed robot moving, he moves it forward in a clumzy zig-zag pattern and drives it right under our Buffalo.  All the Soldiers started cussing and screaming, and we all jumped up on our seats, wondering what the fuck the guy operating the robot was doing.  The Navy EOD was laughing at us; he said that the operator was also Navy EOD and this was his first time out, and that they were there to bust his cherry.  He also noted that the C4 would merely mar the paint on the Buffalo.  Still, it was unsettling.
View Quote

That sounds like a clown shoes operation.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have several times, it was a shithole then and still is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Domesticated dogs will usually wait a few days before they eat their owners, until they get pretty hungry. Cats eat their owners much sooner. Cats are dicks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great thread. Thank you all for your service.

Just wanted a quick note on the dogs behavior........

I met a long retired Houston police detective once. I mentioned he had for sure seen some gross shit during his years of service. He said the worst was on several occasions his going to houses where some old person had laid dead for a few days. He said the cute little lap dogs dining on their former masters ( usually their faces) would never allow him to look at dogs the same again.

I had a neighbor who died and apparently her 3 dogs devoured her before she was found by family members, her body was in the living room and her head in the bathroom.

Domesticated dogs will usually wait a few days before they eat their owners, until they get pretty hungry. Cats eat their owners much sooner. Cats are dicks.

this, I find the whole idea disturbing, but at a certain point of hunger, meat is meat, they are animals after all.

speed

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know of a guy that was told to drive a badly damaged Bradley by himself, got separated from the rest of his element and completely lost, and somehow made it from New Baghdad to Falcon. I'm sure that was an ass puckering experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So there we were, Helmand Province in 2010 doing Route Clearance on Highway 1. As we are creeping along all of a sudden we come across two Marines in a 7 ton all by themselves driving down the highway. Apparently they were separated from their Unit and were lost as fuck. Don't remember if they even had a MG on the roof or just had their rifles.

We had a corporal do something like that.

Each gunner rode with the heavy lift local semi lowboys when they were moving our tanks from port to the staging areas in the desert.

We happened to be moving when the air war started.  Corporal D's driver said he had a mechanical issue and Cpl D had to unload the tank for him to fix it.  When Cpl D unloaded the tank, the driver left.

So there he is, all alone, in the desert with a tank.  So he starts driving.  Finds an MP who tells him where he thinks our unit is.  The problem was that we were one of the very few 8th ID units in theater.  We were 8th ID, from 5th Corps in Germany, attached as a round out battalion to 3rd AD, which was 7th Corps out of Germany.  Nobody knew who or where we were.

So Cpl D drives on, gets fuel from another MP unit and they tell him about a tank unit not far away across the trackless desert.  They give him a compass heading, but Cpl D had no way to take shots without getting out of the tank from time to time.  So he took the compass shot, then turned the turret to the proper heading and duct taped the cadillacs.  Then he rotated the hull to keep his head right under the gun and off he drove.  We ended up using this method of navigation for the rest of the short little war.

He found a tank unit but it wasn't us.  They fueled him up and their battalion commander told him he could stay with them and be the tank's TC, but they were going to hang a plow on the front of it and give him a crew.  

In the middle of the night, Cpl D left, not wanting to leave his real crew without a tank and definitely not wanting a freaking plow on his tank.

He finally found us after searching for three days.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Each gunner rode with the heavy lift local semi lowboys when they were moving our tanks from port to the staging areas in the desert.

We happened to be moving when the air war started.  Corporal D's driver said he had a mechanical issue and Cpl D had to unload the tank for him to fix it.  When Cpl D unloaded the tank, the driver left.

So there he is, all alone, in the desert with a tank.  So he starts driving.  Finds an MP who tells him where he thinks our unit is.  The problem was that we were one of the very few 8th ID units in theater.  We were 8th ID, from 5th Corps in Germany, attached as a round out battalion to 3rd AD, which was 7th Corps out of Germany.  Nobody knew who or where we were.

So Cpl D drives on, gets fuel from another MP unit and they tell him about a tank unit not far away across the trackless desert.  They give him a compass heading, but Cpl D had no way to take shots without getting out of the tank from time to time.  So he took the compass shot, then turned the turret to the proper heading and duct taped the cadillacs.  Then he rotated the hull to keep his head right under the gun and off he drove.  We ended up using this method of navigation for the rest of the short little war.

He found a tank unit but it wasn't us.  They fueled him up and their battalion commander told him he could stay with them and be the tank's TC, but they were going to hang a plow on the front of it and give him a crew.  

In the middle of the night, Cpl D left, not wanting to leave his real crew without a tank and definitely not wanting a freaking plow on his tank.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It blows my mind that things like this can happen

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit! That Corporal has some balls!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#18]
In 2008, I was on Rustamiyah living in single story barracks where each room opened to the exterior motel style. The front door was hollow, something like the average American would expect to be used as an interior door. One morning, I'm asleep when I am awoken by a pretty decent explosion that shook my janky door in its frame. My first guess was a near miss of IDF, but there was no CRAM. Then I started to think some of our guys got hit, and I started to worry, but even if that was the case, there wasn't anything I could do, so I went back to sleep until it was time to get up and head in. I get the usual brief, and nobody mentions anything about any IEDs. I ask, "At around this time, I heard an explosion. What happened?" Guy laughs and tells me they had a controlled det up at Taji, and someone got a little carried away.

For those unfamiliar with the Baghdad area, we're talking a distance around 25 miles.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Was she bikini worthy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They had artillery folks there (Including this one gal who used to run around in a bikini [NO SHIT!] during

fire missions).

One day a Canadian SF (So we were told) unit screwed up and dropped a case of C-4 off the ass end of one of their vehicles

The area was under observation by other Canadian Forces.  They sat there for a couple of hours watching the local

bad guys trying to recover the C-4.  Every time they (Bad Guys) got close they got scared (I guess because they knew

'Wilson's guns were there...?) and backed off.  The battery at Wilson had their Comms on a speaker like American

Top 40 () so, once we realized what was going on we climbed on top of the Hescos to watch the show.  The

Finally...they fent and Wilson's 155's rained "Surprise Buttsex" on them.  It was like being at the Super Bowl! lol

Opening shot.

Was she bikini worthy?

She was pretty good

And God Bless Her.  She knew what was going on and did what she could to help the team.

WE appreciated her efforts

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is fucking crazy. He drove around lost for almost the entire war
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least he won't have to tell his grandkids he shoveled shit in Louisiana.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I Commanded a small Detachment for 13 months during my second OEF tour (OEF11-12).

We arrived in-country in July and flew into KAIA directly from Manas and then convoyed straight to Camp Phoenix.  BN S-3 found out and chewed on me to get our collective assess on the next bird to BAF.  The next day we flew to BAF for a mandatory three day training event which included doing all the same shit we did 2x in the previous six months leading up to deployment (MRAP rollover, weapons range, IED classes, courtesies and customs, etc.).  

We departed BAF for KAIA after completing the training, loading up on a C-130 for the 23 mile, 20 minute flight to Kabul at around 2330 the next day.   We were in full battle rattle, full combat load, four duffles for each man (palletized in front of two other pallets on the aircraft) when we boarded.  We sat on the runway for 60 minutes waiting on more PAX.  Two guys come on board, both wearing jeans, beards, plate carriers, and carrying MK18 Mod 1's. They end up sitting in the webbing next to me and so I am listening to their conversation.  Their topic of conversation involves freefall adventures, favorite parachutes, etc., when one of the gentlemen states that he is going to fly this Bird tonight and he proceeds to pull an aviation headset out of his backpack and put it on his head.

We finally take off for the 20 minute flight to BAF.  About thirty minutes later the crew chief comes to our seating area and gets headset guy and takes him up the stairs into the cockpit.  We fly another 20 minutes (checking my watch) slow down, lose altitude and I think, okay. we are on approach.   However both sides of the aircraft light up (window reflections) as anti-missle flares are deployed and the plane starts juking left, then right, accelerates, climbs and flies away.

About five minutes later headset guy comes back and sits down next to me.  We fly approximately another 65 minutes before we finally land at KAIA.

As we are deplaning I grab the crew chief and ask him what the hell just happened, why did it take 95 minutes for a 20 minute flight?  He looks at me with a straight face and says, "we had severe head winds tonight Sir, it really slowed us down."
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was in Ramadi as a contractor in 06.  Got tasked with checking out a route towards Hit (I think rt Michigan), so I was riding along with a NG route clearance patrol one night.  As we got into Hit, the convoy stopped and everybody was yawning and such; I asked why we were stopped in the middle of the road.  The Buffalo driver said that there was an IED, but I hadn't seen the Husky doing anything, and there wasn't anything going on over the radio.  As the LT in the Buffalo explained, there was an IED there every night.  "They even put it in the same crater cos' they're too lazy to dig.  They even re-use the same wire."  Sure as shit, EOD blows the IED and we move forward and stop again with the Buff's lights on the crater.  I can plainly see the wire, which is routed up into the window of a building just forward of us about 10 yds from the roadway.  There's a guy peeking out from the window at us, and I ask the LT why they don't shoot his ass in the face.  "Our ROE says we can't dismount and clear structures, and we can only shoot back if we take fire."  I said "but an IED is technically fire."  "We can't do anything."  I said "wait here, I'll go shoot his ass!"  They just chuckled.  As they saw it, it was fine because they knew where the IED was.  I thought it was a waste of good C4.
View Quote

Hit, Suweya, Tall Aswad, was my AO in 08.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I Commanded a small Detachment for 13 months during my second OEF tour (OEF11-12).

We arrived in-country in July and flew into KAIA directly from Manas and then convoyed straight to Camp Phoenix.  BN S-3 found out and chewed on me to get our collective assess on the next bird to BAF.  The next day we flew to BAF for a mandatory three day training event which included doing all the same shit we did 2x in the previous six months leading up to deployment (MRAP rollover, weapons range, IED classes, courtesies and customs, etc.).  

We departed BAF for KAIA after completing the training, loading up on a C-130 for the 23 mile, 20 minute flight to Kabul at around 2330 the next day.   We were in full battle rattle, full combat load, four duffles for each man (palletized in front of two other pallets on the aircraft) when we boarded.  We sat on the runway for 60 minutes waiting on more PAX.  Two guys come on board, both wearing jeans, beards, plate carriers, and carrying MK18 Mod 1's. They end up sitting in the webbing next to me and so I am listening to their conversation.  Their topic of conversation involves freefall adventures, favorite parachutes, etc., when one of the gentlemen states that he is going to fly this Bird tonight and he proceeds to pull an aviation headset out of his backpack and put it on his head.

We finally take off for the 20 minute flight to BAF.  About thirty minutes later the crew chief comes to our seating area and gets headset guy and takes him up the stairs into the cockpit.  We fly another 20 minutes (checking my watch) slow down, lose altitude and I think, okay. we are on approach.   However both sides of the aircraft light up (window reflections) as anti-missle flares are deployed and the plane starts juking left, then right, accelerates, climbs and flies away.

About five minutes later headset guy comes back and sits down next to me.  We fly approximately another 65 minutes before we finally land at KAIA.

As we are deplaning I grab the crew chief and ask him what the hell just happened, why did it take 95 minutes for a 20 minute flight?  He looks at me with a straight face and says, "we had severe head winds tonight Sir, it really slowed us down."
View Quote

WTF?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see what you did there...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the air war started 15 days before the ground war.

He drove around for the same amount of time that the ground war lasted, once they unleashed a bunch of unwashed tankers on their sorry asses...
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Djiboutians chew khat. They're all starving to death because they're poor but they have money for this stuff.

I tried it.  The negatives way outweighed the positives. Would not recommend it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

fire missions).

Opening shot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I tried it.  The negatives way outweighed the positives. Would not recommend it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#30]
P
Quoted:

We would shoot dogs all the time. Cats, however, we kept about eight or so around to control the rodents and pests. As the medic, I made sure the cats were healthyish. When I could catch one, I would give it a shot of ancef or whatever other antibiotics I had extra of and a rabies vaccine. I was able to get some cheap collars to keep track of the ones I had vaccinated. I would put out just enough dog or cat food and water to keep them around but not enough to feed them. They kept our area completely free of rodents and bugs. Never had a health issue related to cats, rodents, snakes, or bugs.

When the 82nd took over Camp Lundell (part of Camp Holland) the CO ordered all the cats killed because he thought they would give everyone rabies. Never mind that we had a vet tech on Camp Holland that gave me enough rabies shots and animal food for damn near every cat in Afghanistan. I tried to point out my program and how well it was working. He told me that his medics don't have time to waste on dirty animals and their only focus should be his soldiers.

That next day they rounded up 12 cats and shot them all. A couple three or four days later, as I was getting packed up, I saw a big ass rat running under one of the B-Huts. Way to go Captain Dumbass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We headed straight for the vehicles and as we got closer, we saw women playing volleyball.  

They had their T shirts on and I am positive they all looked like supermodels.

We pulled up in a cloud of dust and they invited us to join in.  So we did.  There were 3 or 4 females out of about 15 people.  They were a GSR unit attached to the Brigade.

We stayed with them for a few hours, let them drive the tank and play around on it.  Then we left.

The next day I shot their dog.  

Did you really "shoot their dog", or is this like "kittens were killed that night"?

It was not unusual to pop feral dogs. Huge vector for disease in that environment. Sometimes you don't know they have been "adopted" (against standing orders.)

We would shoot dogs all the time. Cats, however, we kept about eight or so around to control the rodents and pests. As the medic, I made sure the cats were healthyish. When I could catch one, I would give it a shot of ancef or whatever other antibiotics I had extra of and a rabies vaccine. I was able to get some cheap collars to keep track of the ones I had vaccinated. I would put out just enough dog or cat food and water to keep them around but not enough to feed them. They kept our area completely free of rodents and bugs. Never had a health issue related to cats, rodents, snakes, or bugs.

When the 82nd took over Camp Lundell (part of Camp Holland) the CO ordered all the cats killed because he thought they would give everyone rabies. Never mind that we had a vet tech on Camp Holland that gave me enough rabies shots and animal food for damn near every cat in Afghanistan. I tried to point out my program and how well it was working. He told me that his medics don't have time to waste on dirty animals and their only focus should be his soldiers.

That next day they rounded up 12 cats and shot them all. A couple three or four days later, as I was getting packed up, I saw a big ass rat running under one of the B-Huts. Way to go Captain Dumbass.

My brother in law brought a cat (or had a cat sent home) home from Camp Liberty in 2008 or 2009.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I dipped Copenhagen in Afghanistan. The ANA and other locals dipped something they called tobacco or whatever out of little baggies. I thought I would spread cheer and goodwill by trading some American tobacco for Haj tobacco. Stuck a pinch of their stuff in my lip and spent the next two hours staring through time. Found out later it was most likely some kind of opiate they dried out and powdered. Good thing we didn't have a piss test that week.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I dipped Copenhagen in Afghanistan. The ANA and other locals dipped something they called tobacco or whatever out of little baggies. I thought I would spread cheer and goodwill by trading some American tobacco for Haj tobacco. Stuck a pinch of their stuff in my lip and spent the next two hours staring through time. Found out later it was most likely some kind of opiate they dried out and powdered. Good thing we didn't have a piss test that week.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Title says it all...

1DD
View Quote

A 7ft tall ghost that looked like a Buddhist monk floating about 6" off the ground glided along a jungle trail out into a small clearing then disappeared into the trees
between monsoon downpours around 0100 hrs....he turned 45° and motioned for me to follow him...I pulled out my rusty .45 took the safety off but no matter how hard
I pulled the trigger the weapon would not fire....I tried to shake our RTO awake..he was sleeping and trying to stay dry under some banana leaves but he would not wake up....as soon as the apparition
disappeared...he woke up and looked in the direction I pointed to but by that time it was gone and he never saw a thing...

you believe that shit?

I couldn't even get light duty after I told the Batt Surgeon that story...
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#34]
This is a remarkable story.  The soldier did well for himself.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the cover story.

It was a bank job.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Kuwaiti bullion, as documented in the historical movie Three Kings.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was on a patrol that was involved an accident with a haji vehicle on MSR Tampa.  A big ass crowd was starting to gather demanding that the vehicle owner be paid.  One of our guys had some mail in his bag and we gave the Iraqi driver a blank credit card application and told him to take it to the nearest base for payment.

I laugh my ass off thinking of that dude showing up at the ECP at Kalsu or Scania and showing the guards a Capitol One Mastercard application and demanding to be paid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'd usually pay them after using their house for an OP.  And we avoided the unoccupied houses because those tended to have IEDs placed in them.

we had some form they were suppose to take to a FOB to cash in

I did not know that.  Makes sense.  I was told we paid them, never concerned myself with the particulars.

I was on a patrol that was involved an accident with a haji vehicle on MSR Tampa.  A big ass crowd was starting to gather demanding that the vehicle owner be paid.  One of our guys had some mail in his bag and we gave the Iraqi driver a blank credit card application and told him to take it to the nearest base for payment.

I laugh my ass off thinking of that dude showing up at the ECP at Kalsu or Scania and showing the guards a Capitol One Mastercard application and demanding to be paid.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't let it die!  MOAR!!!!!!
absolutely awesome thread.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Both areas in Iraq and Afghanistan google earth are all from before I made it in country.  Even though it wasn't the same, it still brought back a lot of memories.  I got to say for as fucked up as some of the memories are, both places could be absolutely beautiful. The sun rises and sun sets in Iraq and the mountains of Eastern Afghanistan are memories that will be forever burned in my memory.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Both areas in Iraq and Afghanistan google earth are all from before I made it in country.  Even though it wasn't the same, it still brought back a lot of memories.  I got to say for as fucked up as some of the memories are, both places could be absolutely beautiful. The sun rises and sun sets in Iraq and the mountains of Eastern Afghanistan are memories that will be forever burned in my memory.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The most awesome sunset I saw was from the top of the hill right outside the wire from Camp Bande Sardeh. Almost zen like, it lacks words to describe it even to this day, six years later.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss the beautifully clear sky at night. Sky so clear you could see satellites circling the earth.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I miss the beautifully clear sky at night. Sky so clear you could see satellites circling the earth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being on a black out fob in the middle of no where and almost 0 light pollution was amazing.  On a clear night it was almost like you could touch the stars.  When using NVGs HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:36:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Being on a black out fob in the middle of no where and almost 0 light pollution was amazing.  On a clear night it was almost like you could touch the stars.  When using NVGs HOLY FUCKING SHIT.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just star gazing with my PVS 14 30 mins ago. Shit is calming as feck.
Bump fer epic thread.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The Mongols donated a lot of those genes. Genghis Khan had red hair and may have had green eyes. That whole group was fond of fathering babies everywhere they went.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of the red/blonde haired and green/blue eyed people in Iraq.  Kinda threw me for a loop.

And the sweet Sterling 9mm and Russian Type 2 milled AK I drooled over...  What I would pay to bring those back with me!    DAMN Hughes Amendment!  

This. I remember watching a convoy of IA go by one night and standing in the back of a truck was an Iraqi soldier as white as me with reddish blonde hair. That was the first one I ever saw and confused the hell out of me.

The Mongols donated a lot of those genes. Genghis Khan had red hair and may have had green eyes. That whole group was fond of fathering babies everywhere they went.

Turkey had a lot of red and yellow haired guys who looked like Lloyd Bridges.

Red and yellow hair, green and blue eyes came from Central Asia, spreading to everywhere the horde went.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Water on the FOB smelled strange and had a weird feel to it...kinda greasy.  This was the non potable water used for laundry and whatnot...some showers and stuff.  

Eventually got bad and we asked the KBR guy where the water came from.  He pointed to the river...and said it was "filtered" but not much.  

We went down to the reeds and saw donkey feet sticking out of the intake pipe...dead...very very dead floating donkey that had fully clogged the intake pipe and now had the water flowing through its rotting corpse.  

Donkey water...

Paid a local guy with a small boat to dislodge the donkey and it floated away.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
To answer the original question the funniest shit I saw was a bongo truck full of sheep. On top of those sheep was a piece of plywood. On top of that plywood was more sheep
View Quote

funniest thing I saw was something just like that. Inside the cab was a bunch of men and boys, but on the back instead of more cargo, on top of the stuff in the bed was a bunch of women and girls holding on for dear life. In a mud rain storm.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Water on the FOB smelled strange and had a weird feel to it...kinda greasy.  This was the non potable water used for laundry and whatnot...some showers and stuff.  

Eventually got bad and we asked the KBR guy where the water came from.  He pointed to the river...and said it was "filtered" but not much.  

We went down to the reeds and saw donkey feet sticking out of the intake pipe...dead...very very dead floating donkey that had fully clogged the intake pipe and now had the water flowing through its rotting corpse.  

Donkey water...

Paid a local guy with a small boat to dislodge the donkey and it floated away.
View Quote

Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top