Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 236
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You realize how much steel is in a sword versus a few daggers, right?

Then you have to get one of the few rare smith's that can rework them.

There was a character that had a Valyrian Axe that was lost I believe in the andal wars
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get why as many valerian steel daggers as there are, why don't the rich houses buy a few and then have the steel of them melted off into a single real sword for practical use....

It's said house Lannister lost theirs and Tywin couldn't buy one off anyone else but surely he could have afforded a few daggers and then had them recast as swords....

You realize how much steel is in a sword versus a few daggers, right?

Then you have to get one of the few rare smith's that can rework them.

There was a character that had a Valyrian Axe that was lost I believe in the andal wars

the Celtigars are rumored to have a valyrian steel axe, but it hasn't been shown "on scene" yet
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's not likely after Miss 'Triassic Attack' turned diva and refused to do any kind of nudity.

Personally I'd love it if they canned her and replaced her with a hotter, younger unknown that was willing to get naked and work for peanuts.  Then take that extra $3M they saved and apply it towards the upcoming big battles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First season level boobage would be nice.

HBO has been running past seasons. Wifey and I have been reviewing. We caught a bunch of significant missed keys.

It's not likely after Miss 'Triassic Attack' turned diva and refused to do any kind of nudity.

Personally I'd love it if they canned her and replaced her with a hotter, younger unknown that was willing to get naked and work for peanuts.  Then take that extra $3M they saved and apply it towards the upcoming big battles.

I'm not asking for stars to get exposed. Just get the beer wenches and hoors nekid. Bit players need the exposure.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
So after everything we learned:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Here is another spoiler.....

Given that every season is worst than the one before......Season 6 will really be pathetic.

The only plot in the whole show centers around the killing off the main characters.  The last one alive wins.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SPOILER:

Season 5 went off the rails and was the worst season.

Here is another spoiler.....

Given that every season is worst than the one before......Season 6 will really be pathetic.

The only plot in the whole show centers around the killing off the main characters.  The last one alive wins.

Highlander thread?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Titties and torture, I'm so in.
View Quote
Sometimes in the same scene.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Titties and torture, I'm so in.

Sophie Turner approves.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sophie Turner approves.
View Quote
So does Meryn Trant!

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So does Meryn Trant!

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Even though they misspelled Arya, it's still pretty funny.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Even though they misspelled Arya, it's still pretty funny.

http://i.imgur.com/36FLNTh.jpg?1
View Quote

Agreed, wish they had more clips like that and possibly even a game...
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I knew something was up with Olly the moment I laid eyes on the bastard!

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Sophie Turner says in interview Season 6 will be "Sansa's biggest season yet."

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

"yesterday i was dumb and my sister chased cats.  then i betrayed my father and got him executed.  in hindsight, maybe i deserved joffrey's 2nd hand beatings and ramsey pretending to stick it in my pooper, enen if it never happens in the books.  now i live with littlefinger and he's creepy and wanted to do my mom."
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"yesterday i was dumb and my sister chased cats.  then i betrayed my father and got him executed.  in hindsight, maybe i deserved joffrey's 2nd hand beatings and ramsey pretending to stick it in my pooper, enen if it never happens in the books.  now i live with littlefinger and he's creepy and wanted to do my mom."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

lol.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"yesterday i was dumb and my sister chased cats.  then i betrayed my father and got him executed.  "
View Quote

It was the best day ever.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"yesterday i was dumb and my sister chased cats.  then i betrayed my father and got him executed.  "

My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Mal.jpg

want

if he competes as a black knight, does he go by Ser Castle, i wonder?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I read everything in the Song of Ice and Fire series up to A Dance With Dragons (twice actually) after the first season of Game of Thrones came out.   I didn't feel that my enjoyment of the first book Game of Thrones was diminished by having seen the first season of the HBO show first.  However, while I certainly enjoy the HBO series I must say that I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had NOT read the books at all.  Yet, I can't imagine not having read the books, because they're awesome.  

I imagine that I'll have seen Season 6 prior to being able to read the next book "Winds of Winter".  What I'm curious about is whether I'll enjoy the book less after having seen Season 6?  Will D&D's version be better or worse?  Will D&D's version develop in my mind a way that it "should be?"

I must say the show has skewed how I imagine the characters to be in the books other than Little Finger whose character is in the show drastically different than in the book. Little Finger in the show makes no sense to me. A guy that nobody likes doesn't get far in a world of aristocracy at least in the business sense.  Little Finger in the books is a very charismatic guy that has developed a lot of relationships throughout the Seven Kingdoms. He's a smooth operator and in the books he just comes across as too cartoonish evil in my opinion.  Plus, at least so far in the books Little Finger doesn't just give-up the valuable asset that is Sansa Stark to the Boltons.

One of things I really like about the books is the Gold Company and it's a darn shame that D&D decided to leave them out. It also really bugs me that the finest light infantry in the world and arguably one of the greatest knights in the Seven Kingdoms were defeated by a band of spoiled rich kids with knives in the show.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I read everything in the Song of Ice and Fire series up to A Dance With Dragons (twice actually) after the first season of Game of Thrones came out.   I didn't feel that my enjoyment of the first book Game of Thrones was diminished by having seen the first season of the HBO show first.  However, while I certainly enjoy the HBO series I must say that I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had NOT read the books at all.  Yet, I can't imagine not having read the books, because they're awesome.  

I imagine that I'll have seen Season 6 prior to being able to read the next book "Winds of Winter".  What I'm curious about is whether I'll enjoy the book less after having seen Season 6?  Will D&D's version be better or worse?  Will D&D's version develop in my mind a way that it "should be?"

I must say the show has skewed how I imagine the characters to be in the books other than Little Finger whose character is in the show drastically different than in the book. Little Finger in the show makes no sense to me. A guy that nobody likes doesn't get far in a world of aristocracy at least in the business sense.  Little Finger in the books is a very charismatic guy that has developed a lot of relationships throughout the Seven Kingdoms. He's a smooth operator and in the books he just comes across as too cartoonish evil in my opinion.  Plus, at least so far in the books Little Finger doesn't just give-up the valuable asset that is Sansa Stark to the Boltons.

One of things I really like about the books is the Gold Company and it's a darn shame that D&D decided to leave them out. It also really bugs me that the finest light infantry in the world and arguably one of the greatest knights in the Seven Kingdoms were defeated by a band of spoiled rich kids with knives in the show.

View Quote

I think where the show really started to go it's own way was when they switched out Jeyne Westerling for Talisa Maegyr.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ser Malcom the Dour.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ser Malcom the Dour.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ser Malcom the Dour.    

in a brown surcoat with a firefly on the breast
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#25]

That reminds me, Anna Kendrick is a huge GoT fan.

And just for the hell of it:

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ser Malcom the Dour.    

"By the Seven! What good man-at-arms would follow that brigand Ser Malcom? He keeps the company of ruffians and warrior-women!"

"Not entirely true, my lord. I hear that the man does keep a maester with him, though this one seems young..."
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Winter is coming. Lord Baelish knows that it is coming. Whatever his plans it seems launching any military offensive with the Vale's army would be foolish.  Keep in mind Baelish doesn't know about and doesn't believe in the White Walkers or see Dragons as a threat.

The question is whether the casualties of the war the North sustained during the War of the Five Kings were enough to offset the poor harvest that resulted in so much of its agricultural labor force having been pressed into military service?

The Boltons are already very unpopular with the Stark Bannerman and the people of the North.  A long winter with poor food stores and the Boltons selfish nature could either turn people against the Boltons or perhaps allow them to play favorites with food reserves and eliminate or weaken political enemies through starvation. So, do you as Baelish sit back and hope that winter weakens rather than strengthens the Bolton position in the North or do you strike now and risk a winter campaign that could decimate your forces as badly if not worse than the enemy?

The Lannisters have just suffered a devastating war.  Their ties with the Tyrells and Dorne have been badly damaged.  Is it possible and would be to Baelish's benefit to simply instigate a war between those three houses and sit back while they and winter finish each other off?

The Riverlands has been decimated. Lord Frye is extremely unpopular.  Baelish should be able to waltz into the Riverlands and take it completely in short order after Winter.

I think if I'm Baelish I sit in the Vale with Sansa and wait for winter and the infighting between the houses to weaken the realm.  Once spring comes I'd launch an immediate huge offensive from the Vale and the Seven Kingdoms in short order.

What would you guys do if you were Baelish (not factoring in White Walkers or Dragons)?  Would you solidify your defensive position in the Vale and wait for Spring to attack or would you launch your military campaign now and risk a winter campaign?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Winter is coming. Lord Baelish knows that it is coming. Whatever his plans it seems launching any military offensive with the Vale's army would be foolish.  Keep in mind Baelish doesn't know about and doesn't believe in the White Walkers or see Dragons as a threat.

The question is whether the casualties of the war the North sustained during the War of the Five Kings were enough to offset the poor harvest that resulted in so much of its agricultural labor force having been pressed into military service?

The Boltons are already very unpopular with the Stark Bannerman and the people of the North.  A long winter with poor food stores and the Boltons selfish nature could either turn people against the Boltons or perhaps allow them to play favorites with food reserves and eliminate or weaken political enemies through starvation. So, do you as Baelish sit back and hope that winter weakens rather than strengthens the Bolton position in the North or do you strike now and risk a winter campaign that could decimate your forces as badly if not worse than the enemy?

The Lannisters have just suffered a devastating war.  Their ties with the Tyrells and Dorne have been badly damaged.  Is it possible and would be to Baelish's benefit to simply instigate a war between those three houses and sit back while they and winter finish each other off?

The Riverlands has been decimated. Lord Frye is extremely unpopular.  Baelish should be able to waltz into the Riverlands and take it completely in short order after Winter.

I think if I'm Baelish I sit in the Vale with Sansa and wait for winter and the infighting between the houses to weaken the realm.  Once spring comes I'd launch an immediate huge offensive from the Vale and the Seven Kingdoms in short order.

What would you guys do if you were Baelish (not factoring in White Walkers or Dragons)?  Would you solidify your defensive position in the Vale and wait for Spring to attack or would you launch your military campaign now and risk a winter campaign?

View Quote

He doesn't have Sansa anymore.  He's lost his support from KL.  He can't do much right now.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's one problem; he's discounting the Greyjoy's and their massive fleet of longships and galleys. Even when the Iron Isles launched an invasion of the North, they didn't send many men to do the task. (Which leads me to believe that it was more of a punitive expedition than anything.)
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There's one problem; he's discounting the Greyjoy's and their massive fleet of longships and galleys. Even when the Iron Isles launched an invasion of the North, they didn't send many men to do the task. (Which leads me to believe that it was more of a punitive expedition than anything.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The greyjoys are in a different part of the world.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:He doesn't have Sansa anymore.  He's lost his support from KL.  He can't do much right now.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

In the show he doesn't have Sansa, that's true. In the book he still has her.  Giving up Sansa to the Bolton was insane. No idea why he did that and I can't make any sense of it. Be interesting to see how D&D justify it if they try to justify it at all.

KL may be ripe for the picking, but you can't take KL if you can't hold the Riverlands and you can't hold the Riverlands if you can't subdue the Lannisters.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't think the Greyjoys need to factor into Baelish's strategy that greatly.  He could take the other six kingdoms without having to invade the Iron Islands. They could cause him some trouble, but I don't think they could harm his overall campaign.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Remember though Baelish doesn't believe the Dragons will be a factor just like he's not factoring in the White Walkers at all. So my question is what you would do if you were Baelish knowing what he knows.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I mean let's assume Baelish could take all the Seven Kingdoms or at least the majority of them before the full onset of Winter. Would he really want them at that point?

You'd be dealing with a broken Kingdom, seriously in debt to the Iron Bank, and filled with starving people so all those problems would be his.  If he didn't deal with them effectively his reign would be a very short one.

Better for Baelish to wait until winter is over to strike. Then he's seen as the "savoir" of the realm.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Victarion took the Greyjoy fleet.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I mean let's assume Baelish could take all the Seven Kingdoms or at least the majority of them before the full onset of Winter. Would he really want them at that point?

You'd be dealing with a broken Kingdom, seriously in debt to the Iron Bank, and filled with starving people so all those problems would be his.  If he didn't deal with them effectively his reign would be a very short one.

Better for Baelish to wait until winter is over to strike. Then he's seen as the "savoir" of the realm.
View Quote

He's not going to survive the winter imho.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Hmm, if I were Baelish, I'd presumably wait it out.

A better question, though, is:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Y'all ain't talking about the important stuff.  Next season we may get the bestest scene ever.

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#41]
A Trump free thread I can get into! Woohoo!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm, if I were Baelish, I'd presumably wait it out.

A better question, though, is:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A Trump free thread I can get into! Woohoo!
View Quote

Huzzah!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In the show he doesn't have Sansa, that's true. In the book he still has her.  Giving up Sansa to the Bolton was insane. No idea why he did that and I can't make any sense of it. Be interesting to see how D&D justify it if they try to justify it at all.

KL may be ripe for the picking, but you can't take KL if you can't hold the Riverlands and you can't hold the Riverlands if you can't subdue the Lannisters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:He doesn't have Sansa anymore.  He's lost his support from KL.  He can't do much right now.

Click To View Spoiler

I'm holding a glimmer of hope they will at least attempt to make sense of that.  However, seeing as how these are the same the people that had Jaime needlessly murder his cousin and then rape his sister and they did everything they could to ruin the character of Stannis; I'm not exactly holding my breath.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'm holding a glimmer of hope they will at least attempt to make sense of that.  However, seeing as how these are the same the people that had Jaime needlessly murder his cousin and then rape his sister and they did everything they could to ruin the character of Stannis; I'm not exactly holding my breath.

View Quote
The only "sense" was from a production standpoint.  Sansa should have basically gone away last season, but they didn't want to do that with a popular character/actress, so they combined her character (wrongly IMHO) with fake-Arya.  But yeah, Littlefinger would have to be a complete political n00b to do that, and he definitely is not that.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Whatever happens I think it's fair to say that the Kingdom of the North is doomed.

White Walkers breach the wall.  If the Boltons and Vale engage each other before the White Walkers show-up there may not even be enough guys to hold Winterfell.  My guess is that Bran and the Three Eyed Raven attempt to do what the Children of the Forest tried to do and that is break off "The Neck" from the rest of Westeros to slow down the White Walker advance south.  I think Jon will survive and either lead an escape of what people he can from the North to the Riverlands or somehow ends up at Winterfell trying to hold it in some kind of Alamo situation.  Now, I always thought that Stannis was the best to hold Winterfell until Daenerys could come into play with her dragons, but he's dead in the show now.

The best place in Westros to hold-up during the White Walker invasion would be the Vale.  The Bloody Gate would be very difficult for the White Walkers to breach and then trying to move up to the Eyrie would be extremely difficult even for them.  I'd want to be in the Eyrie well stocked with provisions for when they showed up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the book.  The show illustrates this terribly, in addition to him not having Sansa anymore.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Whatever happens I think it's fair to say that the Kingdom of the North is doomed.

White Walkers breach the wall.  If the Boltons and Vale engage each other before the White Walkers show-up there may not even be enough guys to hold Winterfell.  My guess is that Bran and the Three Eyed Raven attempt to do what the Children of the Forest tried to do and that is break off "The Neck" from the rest of Westeros to slow down the White Walker advance south.  I think Jon will survive and either lead an escape of what people he can from the North to the Riverlands or somehow ends up at Winterfell trying to hold it in some kind of Alamo situation.  Now, I always thought that Stannis was the best to hold Winterfell until Daenerys could come into play with her dragons, but he's dead in the show now.

The best place in Westros to hold-up during the White Walker invasion would be the Vale.  The Bloody Gate would be very difficult for the White Walkers to breach and then trying to move up to the Eyrie would be extremely difficult even for them.  I'd want to be in the Eyrie well stocked with provisions for when they showed up.

View Quote
GRRM is very pro-Celt in ASOIAF, and the First Men are definitely Celts.  I don't think the North will be decimated, although the Boltons certainly will.  The whole WW thing was an afterthought to the political drama, and I don't think he is going to go all Walking Dead on us.  The Kingdom of the North will be absorbed into the Seven Kingdoms when Jon marries Dany.  This also tracks English history where the Kings of Scotland inherited England after Elizabeth I, uniting the British Isles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_the_Crowns

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#49]
White Walkers are definitely going to breach The Wall otherwise you'll have a lot of disappointed viewers and book readers if they just show up and sort of stand around scratching at The Wall until neatly burned alive by Dragons.

I'm still waiting to see the Ice Spiders big as hounds!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also, Dorne is an ideal place to defend against a White Walker invasion. Huge mountains with only a few passes that connect Dorne to the rest of the country, and those passes could be held by a few thousand men ala Thermopylae. Not to mention that Dorne is mostly desert with almost no water. I daresay that even the ice magics of the White Walkers would have immense difficulty working in Dorne. However, this would mean evacuating most of Westeros, and you'd have to fight crucial delaying actions in order to slow the Undead Army down.
Page / 236
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top