BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At the very least this guy should go down for manslaughter.  Facts are facts...their was a negligent discharge of his weapon in his hand and someone died.

If he is not convicted then parts of NYC will burn.
View Quote
I don't think so, Big Red Billy Lotto checks will be paid, worst case scenario is Liang will get probation. Family has good lawsuits against the city, NYPD and the NYCHA
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
At the very least this guy should go down for manslaughter.  Facts are facts...their was a negligent discharge of his weapon in his hand and someone died.

View Quote

Parts of NYC need to burn.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
This was an ND coupled with a freak accident. The victim was hit by a ricochet. It would be manslaughter if he'd had the gun pointed at the victim and NDed. As it is, I don't think there's a crime here because the shooting of the victim was not a foreseeable result of pointing a gun at the wall (or wherever) with a finger on the trigger. I would vote NG. I would give the victim's survivors some cash in a civil case, though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted: shortened by Thug_Hunter12 for space:
My gun just went off, when I tensed up,” Liang told jurors.

He added that he sometimes felt unsafe during housing patrols, and that’s why he had his gun out.

He insisted his finger WAS NOT on the trigger but was startled by a "quick" sound in the stairwell
View Quote

When people are startled, they naturally react.  All of us have seen someone "flinch" when startled.  One of the possible reactions is involuntarily clenching the fist.  When holding a pistol, it can result in an ND, and I have seen it in training, during the academy.  My department trained us about it, and called it a type of "sympathetic reflex."  The possibility of it happening is why it is important to train to get the finger high out of the trigger guard.  I place my trigger finger on the slide.  (It seems most can't get that high, though) Such an ND can happen very easily if the trigger finger is straight, and touching the trigger guard.

I'm surprised that at least some cops routinely patrol inside buildings with their guns out.  Responding to a gun run or searching for a burglar is one thing, but this sounds like a walking post in a stairwell.

I know he was charged with manslaughter.  Another poster mentioned a type of "misdemeanor manslaughter" in a different state.

Does NY have homicide charges below felony manslaughter?

Did they read his texts in court?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

He testified that he called his Sgt. on his cell phone because he didn't want everyone else responding to the scene.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He testified that he called his Sgt. on his cell phone because he didn't want everyone else responding to the scene.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone else? Like an ambulance?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe he called the sergeant to report the ND before he realized someone had been shot. Did he immediately call for help when he found the victim?

Added: I meant the texts to the union rep.  And were those before he found the victim, between finding the victim and arrival of the ambulance, or after the medics arrived?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe he called the sergeant to report the ND before he realized someone had been shot. Did he immediately call for help when he found the victim?
Added: I meant the texts to the union rep.  And were those before he found the victim, between finding the victim and arrival of the ambulance, or after the medics arrived?
View Quote

He didn't say anything about his union rep, he testified he called his Sergeant because he thought it was just a ND. He said he called for an ambulance over the radio after finding the victim but according to reports in the news the police radio transcripts don't show him calling for one.

According to the news and testimony EMS was already called by a resident before Liang realized he shot someone. The dead guys's gf was on the phone with the 911 operator when Liang found them. Who knows what the real story and timeline is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#10]
So, no verdict yet?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:19:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, no verdict yet?
View Quote
Almost, I think they just started
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
This afternoon the jury asked to review the charges, handle the gun, and to re-listen to the 911 audio and radio dispatch audio.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This afternoon the jury asked to review the charges, handle the gun, and to re-listen to the 911 audio and radio dispatch audio.
View Quote
Here in FL, they don't let nothing in the jury rooms. Even your notes are collected by the court officer
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Calling it now, not guilty of most serious charge (dunno if there are any lesser/included in NY).
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Calling it now, not guilty of most serious charge (dunno if there are any lesser/included in NY).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Man brandishes pistol outside trial during live tv report

It could have been a whole different kind of “live shot.”

A gun-toting creep crashed WNBC/Channel 4’s noon newscast Wednesday, briefly flashing what appeared to be a silver pistol as correspondent Michael George reported live from in front of the Brooklyn Supreme Court on the trial of NYPD Officer Peter Liang.

George was broadcasting as jurors deliberated on whether Liang should be criminally charged for shooting unarmed Akai Gurley to death in a housing project stairwell in 2014.

“Office Liang was a rookie cop, with little training,” George said as the grinning man walked in to the shot, first touching George on the arm with his left hand and then sweeping by him waving the firearm in the air with his right hand.

The man, wearing a brown jacket and beige baseball cap, turned to face the camera, waved the gun and then ran off.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe MS paint too, the longer it takes means the more they are trying to convince holdouts
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey cobra, now it's in the hands of the jury.
View Quote
I got kicked out of a jury for being a holdout, another time I said fuck it
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Jurors have asked the judge to re-read the definitions of the charges.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Jurors have asked the judge to re-read the definitions of the charges.
View Quote
One or two stubborn holdouts
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/10/us/nypd-officer-trial/

Officer Peter Liang faces five counts in the 2014 death of Akai Gurley, 28: manslaughter, assault, reckless endangerment, criminally negligent homicide and official misconduct.

---------------------
It looks like the jury can go the lesser included offenses route.  I also found another article about the defense asking for a mistrial due to comments made by the DA in closing arguments about Liang maybe firing intentionally.  Request was denied.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Guilty

A Brooklyn jury Thursday found former NYPD Officer Peter Liang guilty of the top count of reckless manslaughter in the accidental shooting of an unarmed passer-by in the stairwell of an East New York housing project.

Liang faces at least a year in jail — and as much as 15 years prison, on that top charge.

The verdict, which also finds Liang guilty of misdemeanor official misconduct, followed more than two full days of deliberations, during which jurors asked for multiple read-backs and even requested to again try out the disgraced officer’s unloaded service gun, to test once more, as they had during testimony, the force required to pull the trigger.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Surprised I am.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I would have lost money on that bet
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Surprised I am.
View Quote

Yep I called this one wrong.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#28]
The holdout finally got convinced
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Fucking bullshit. He was rairroaded.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Any cop who does a vertical in the PJs in NYC at this point is full blown retarded.

Let them burn.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fucking bullshit. He was rairroaded.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Really, how is a cop going to have a jury of his "peers", especially in braindead NYC?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Really, how is a cop going to have a jury of his "peers", especially in braindead NYC?
View Quote

What does "peer" mean to you? I've always understood it, at least in the jury context, to just be fellow citizens.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Any cop who does a vertical in the PJs in NYC at this point is full blown retarded.

Let them burn.
View Quote

Molon dental
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Let them burn.
View Quote

Funniest part is Liang and his partner were told not to do verticals that night.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What does "peer" mean to you? I've always understood it, at least in the jury context, to just be fellow citizens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's complicated because the NYPD is like an occupying army in a foreign country, most people distrust and even detest the cops. It's cultural, racial and ethnic that draws lines. You survive and thrive in this existence being fast talking, fast thinking and quick on your feet. Even for a non cop the differences are there. A have/have not environment. Police have serious power they wield over a citizenry. Now the cop crosses the line in the place where that power is wielded. Now he is subject to facing the same people he wields power against. Resentment, envy, media bias and even utter hatred now is in the jury pool. You see even in a site like ours a vocal minority of hatred of cops. IMHO to get a "fair" trial in this day and age? The Union should have pushed for a change in venue
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Union should have pushed for a change in venue
View Quote

Liang ditched the union lawyers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#39]
About time they started cracking down on these killers...

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Molon dental
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let them burn.

Molon dental

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's complicated because the NYPD is like an occupying army in a foreign country, most people distrust and even detest the cops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's complicated because the NYPD is like an occupying army in a foreign country, most people distrust and even detest the cops.

Not in Bayside.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#42]
If it had been up to me, I would not have chosen to charge this guy if he'd manned up and done the right thing after the shooting, given where he was and who got shot.

But with his supposed actions afterwards, well.   Tough shit.   Make better choices.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I figured there would be a conviction.  I just wasn't familiar enough with NY laws or this case (it seems there was a good bit of conflicting info as to what happened) to know what the conviction would be.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let them burn.

Molon dental

It's ok though, I'm pretty sure the prison has a dental  plan too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Union should have pushed for a change in venue

What a mistake that was
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not in Bayside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in Bayside.
Allright , wiseguy, so I generalized a little, but the chickens are coming home to roost as the minority becomes the majority. Bayside is where they send everyone's daughter who is on the job
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There's no way that it would have been granted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: The Union should have pushed for a change in venue

There's no way that it would have been granted.

The Diallo cops got one.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top