BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 78
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Real life has finally surpassed Disney's Cars.

https://youtu.be/hCRPvi8KkxY
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/28/mercedes-devious-tyre-pressure-trick-revealed/

A trick employed by Mercedes to counter Pirelli’s high mandatory tyre pressures has emerged.

Earlier, it was suspected that some top teams had found a clever way to reduce the high minimum tyre pressures once the car was up and running, thereby boosting laptimes.

Auto Motor und Sport has now published photos of a sophisticated device attached to the four corners ofthe pair of Silver Arrowss prior to the tyres being fitted on the Baku grid.

Reportedly, the device keeps ultra-high heats in the axle and brakes, so that when the Pirelli tyre is fitted, it artificially satisfies the minimum tyre pressure but then rapidly starts to lose that pressure once the car is on track.

The lower the pressure, means there is more surface contact and allows more flexing of the tire. This provides more grip and helps the tires to warm up from the inside.

At high pressure, the tire is run on a narrower band and the tread becomes more rigid, thereby heats up faster.

Force India technical director Andy Green was quoted as saying a ban of such practices “would be a good thing. It just costs a lot of money.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/28/mercedes-devious-tyre-pressure-trick-revealed/

A trick employed by Mercedes to counter Pirelli’s high mandatory tyre pressures has emerged.

Earlier, it was suspected that some top teams had found a clever way to reduce the high minimum tyre pressures once the car was up and running, thereby boosting laptimes.

Auto Motor und Sport has now published photos of a sophisticated device attached to the four corners ofthe pair of Silver Arrowss prior to the tyres being fitted on the Baku grid.

Reportedly, the device keeps ultra-high heats in the axle and brakes, so that when the Pirelli tyre is fitted, it artificially satisfies the minimum tyre pressure but then rapidly starts to lose that pressure once the car is on track.

The lower the pressure, means there is more surface contact and allows more flexing of the tire. This provides more grip and helps the tires to warm up from the inside.

At high pressure, the tire is run on a narrower band and the tread becomes more rigid, thereby heats up faster.

Force India technical director Andy Green was quoted as saying a ban of such practices "would be a good thing. It just costs a lot of money.”

http://i0.wp.com/www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Mercedes-Reifendruck-Manipulation-Formel-1-2016-fotoshowBig-e6279466-959612.jpg

Hmmm, maybe it isn't so surprising the Mercs have ongoing brake issues.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Exploiters are gonna exploit
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Force India technical director Andy Green was quoted as saying a ban of such practices “would be a good thing. It just costs a lot of money.”

http://i0.wp.com/www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Mercedes-Reifendruck-Manipulation-Formel-1-2016-fotoshowBig-e6279466-959612.jpg

I hate em, but I have to give them the utmost respect for coming up with that!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup... Mercedes, New England Patriots, etc.

Beyond tired of all of this stuff. Would be so much more interesting to me if they went back to a more "unlimited" sport. Or we can just keep limiting and dumbing everything down to the point that it becomes so bland and uninteresting that it's easier to just drift away from. I've certainly got much better, more productive things to be doing on Sundays than sitting in front of the toob watching F1 and the NFL. I'm getting closer to bailing on the NFL, and F1 is not far behind if it keeps boring me the way it has been.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And heres berni-------

First he talks about expanding the number of races beyond 21 and then later says the races are probably going to be out

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
And heres berni-------

First he talks about expanding the number of races beyond 21 and then later says the races are probably going to be out

Bernie Ecclestone has indicated the 2017 F1 calendar may feature just 18 races, down from this year’s 21.

Formula One’s commercial boss has previously indicated grands prix in Canada, Italy and Germany are all under threat.

With time running out to secure deals for next season Ecclestone has told The Times the 2017 schedule “is more likely to be 18 races”.

There was no German round of the championship last year as the Nurburgring was unable to host the race it shares with the Hockenheimring, which F1 returns to next month.

Monza’s contract to host the Italian Grand Prix expires after this year’s race and no new deal is in place yet. This week the president of Italy’s Automobile Club indicated the race is unlikely to move to Imola due to new legislation.

One thing's for sure it all revolves around Bernie's wallet and what he thinks will fill it the most.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
F1 is not far behind if it keeps boring me the way it has been.
View Quote

Bernie can't live too much longer can he?  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is funny but Wiliamswas on a speed tear in Baku.

Their 1.92 second pit stop equaled the record for the quickest pit stop of all time, set by Red Bull in the 2013 United States Grand Prix.

Additionally they produced unofficially the highest speed ever seen during an official F1 session. Valtteri Bottas clocked 378kph (234.9mph) during qualifying.

This was well in excess of the estimated top speed of 340kph before F1 arrived at the track.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Real life has finally surpassed Disney's Cars.

https://youtu.be/hCRPvi8KkxY

It is funny but Wiliamswas on a speed tear in Baku.

Their 1.92 second pit stop equaled the record for the quickest pit stop of all time, set by Red Bull in the 2013 United States Grand Prix.

Additionally they produced unofficially the highest speed ever seen during an official F1 session. Valtteri Bottas clocked 378kph (234.9mph) during qualifying.

This was well in excess of the estimated top speed of 340kph before F1 arrived at the track.

Let's have an oval F1 race and shoot for 150!!!

I keed... I keed. I hate oval races (which is why nearly all of NASCRAP and some of Indy bores me to tears).
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I keed... I keed. I hate oval races (which is why nearly all of NASCRAP and some of Indy bores me to tears).
View Quote

Like I've said before, ONE oval race a season would actually be kinda cool.

Hell, one big double-elimination tourney of drag races for the F1 cars would be cool too... just to see how they could tune the cars for that sort of thing.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Austrian GP Schedule

Friday 7/1
FP1 4am
FP2 8am

Saturday 7/2
FP3 5am
Quali 8am

Sunday 7/3
RACE 8am

FANTASY PICKS DUE BY 7:55 AM ON SATURDAY 7/2.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's like the Abe Vigoda of F1.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hell, one big double-elimination tourney of drag races for the F1 cars would be cool too... just to see how they could tune the cars for that sort of thing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... now that you mention it... those would be cool. But just one each. And one snow race with studded tires, ala RBR's stunt on the ski slopes. Maybe make this one a race on a large frozen lake. Now that would be bitchin!!!  Talk about OPTION tires!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This will sound weird,  but I went to visit my grandparents in Gainesville years ago.  My grandfather and I went over to the Gatornationals track and happened upon Tony Kanaan doing drag race starts on the track in his Indycar.  The timing system wasn't operating,  but I will say that that car was FAST in the quarter. The sound was awesome.  Some other pro-stock guys made a few runs too.  They were quicker, but it was neat seeing an Indycar doing 1/4 mile runs.

Eta: it might have been Castroneves, thinking about it.  It was 15 years ago or so.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This will sound weird,  but I went to visit my grandparents in Gainesville years ago.  My grandfather and I went over to the Gatornationals track and happened upon Tony Kanaan doing drag race starts on the track in his Indycar.  The timing system wasn't operating,  but I will say that that car was FAST in the quarter. The sound was awesome.  Some other pro-stock guys made a few runs too.  They were quicker, but it was neat seeing an Indycar doing 1/4 mile runs.  

Eta: it might have been Castroneves, thinking about it.  It was 15 years ago or so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

An Indycar doing that would be fun to see.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He needs to get "mugged" again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Brundle interviews Ross Brawn in front of the BGP001, my favorite F1 car ever.

JPM at Austria 15 years ago

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#22]
As Eddie Jordan once said. F1 has rules, the team's job is to circumvent those rules to win, without breaking them.

The tire pressure regulations are dumb, and teams should be able to contract their own tires to fit their car.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish it was in the era of cellphone videos.  We were standing by a fence right behind them.  It would have been a neat video.

eta:  I did some searching, to see if I could find anything about Indycars practicing starts or running 1/4 mile runs and found nothing, but I found a few threads about F1 cars running the quarter.  A few comments suggested that an F1 car did a sub-9 second run at over 180mph.  Don't know if it's true.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#24]

That glorious sound.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That glorious sound.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That glorious sound.

My thoughts exactly, how beautiful to see that car running again though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That glorious sound.

I wish Button had staid the course and was sitting next to Nico on the starting line in a Silver Arrow.  My most favorite British driver could be a 3 time champion right now, instead of my least favorite British driver.

And I wish that Mr. Brawn was still in charge of Mercedes instead of the two Austrian retards.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wish Button had staid the course and was sitting next to Nico on the starting line in a Silver Arrow.  My most favorite British driver could be a 3 time champion right now, instead of my least favorite British driver.

And I wish that Mr. Brawn was still in charge of Mercedes instead of the two Austrian retards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That glorious sound.

Merc was NOT that competitive for its first few years back. Schumacher sitting next to Button would have been a cool team, but it seemed like the Silver Arrows wanted an all German driver line-up for their new team and Button was happy to be driving for a British team and actually competing for championships, which he was doing at McLaren from 2010-2012.

It'd be nice to see Brawn back in charge somewhere, or even as the next head of Formula 1.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone watching FP2?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Merc was NOT that competitive for its first few years back. Schumacher sitting next to Button would have been a cool team, but it seemed like the Silver Arrows wanted an all German driver line-up for their new team and Button was happy to be driving for a British team and actually competing for championships, which he was doing at McLaren from 2010-2012.

It'd be nice to see Brawn back in charge somewhere, or even as the next head of Formula 1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That glorious sound.

I think they would have been moderately more successful if they had better drivers.. Nico was new at that point and just disappointingly mediocre, and I love Schumi to death, but 2010 Schumi was not 2004 Schumi.   Most of the issues that they had IIRC were the car eating it's tires, maybe a smooth, clean driver like JB could have counteracted that.

As far as the latter remark, I would like to see him and Horner running things, after they put Bernie in a home... Lauda can be Bernie's roommate.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, bit wet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone watching FP2?

Yeah, bit wet

Vettle beaches it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Vettle beaches it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone watching FP2?

Yeah, bit wet

Vettle beaches it.

Completely odd, the car just completely went the wrong direction after braking, when something stumps Seb its an issue.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He said a problem with brake distribution and they've said Vettel has a gearbox change 5 spot grid penalty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vettle beaches it.

Completely odd, the car just completely went the wrong direction after braking, when something stumps Seb its an issue.

He said a problem with brake distribution and they've said Vettel has a gearbox change 5 spot grid penalty.

Yeah I saw that
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vettle beaches it.

Watching the DVR now and just got to that.  Ferrari has flat-out not done Seb any favors at all this year. Friggin Marenello should maybe switch over to making marinera.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Beyond tired of all of this stuff. Would be so much more interesting to me if they went back to a more "unlimited" sport. Or we can just keep limiting and dumbing everything down to the point that it becomes so bland and uninteresting that it's easier to just drift away from. I've certainly got much better, more productive things to be doing on Sundays than sitting in front of the toob watching F1 and the NFL. I'm getting closer to bailing on the NFL, and F1 is not far behind if it keeps boring me the way it has been.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

deflating the footballs under the allowed limit was outright cheating.

putting heat into the tires to increase the pressure was perfectly legal

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:10:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

as a publicity stunt at a drag race it would be amazing.  great way to get people from both sides to look at each other.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#41]
McLaren has a really ballsy rear wing end plate this weekend:

It's almost not even there..

Article that goes with teh picture:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-goes-revolutionary-with-rear-wing-design-793974/
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Maybe a weekend for a Kimi win? That would be a nice change.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No one watching qualy?? This is pretty exciting, suspension failures, engine blow ups and rain!  And that's just the first 2 sessions
View Quote

I just watched, it was a good one and kudos to my boy Hulkenberg.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No one watching qualy?? This is pretty exciting, suspension failures, engine blow ups and rain!  And that's just the first 2 sessions

Just now watching it.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn Kvyat is going to need a new everything.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was quite happy for hulk, I would love to see him in a big team.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he has earned that.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He and Perez both, I've always liked them.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#50]
BUTTON STARTING 3RD?!?!
Page / 78
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top