Site Notices
Page / 78
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:15:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magnussen set to replace Maldonado

Newer article from 1/28

I think it might actually be happening...
View Quote

I'll ask Jan tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for putting a link, I couldn't hotlink yesterday from my phone

glad to see crastor getting the boot
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think you misunderstood me.  I think a closed cockpit would be much safer, and wouldn't mind a bit if F1 went that way.  What I was trying to say is that it wouldn't make any difference from a spectator standpoint, since we can't really see driver anymore anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
F1 Drivers Call for Closed Cockpits...

I can see where they're coming from.  Jules Bianchi's and Justin Wilson's deaths were tragic, and Mercedes' design isn't too egregious but....F1 means open wheel, open cockpit.  For me at least.  If I want to see the fastest closed cockpit cars, I'll watch ALMS/ELMS.

Open wheel I can see sticking with, but practically speaking, how much of a difference is there between today's full-face helmets and up-to-the ears cockpits and a fully enclosed one?

It has to do with head strikes by flying debris.  Felipe Massa had a horrible accident in Hungary a few years ago where a piece of debris flew off and whacked him in the head.  Knocked him out and he went full speed into a barrier at the top of the hill (turn 5?)  Ayrton Senna died the same way when a piece of his suspension flew off and hit him in the helmet.   The argument is these deaths could have been prevented if there was a canopy in place.

I think you misunderstood me.  I think a closed cockpit would be much safer, and wouldn't mind a bit if F1 went that way.  What I was trying to say is that it wouldn't make any difference from a spectator standpoint, since we can't really see driver anymore anyway.

I did indeed misunderstand you, sorry.  You're right, all we see now is what looks like a massive lollipop being birthed from an alien life form incubator.  I guess thinking about it I wouldn't mind closed canopy cars if they're like the Red Bull X2010 from Gran Turismo.  They are making some changes I do like.  They're supposed to be going to bigger tires for 2017, and I believe the drivers are calling for somewhere near 1000hp by the end of 2017 as well.  I'm not sure where talks are about those.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Grosjean confirms 2/22 launch of Hass F1 car

Top 10 overtakes in 2015 from official F1

Top 10 radio messages of 2015 from official F1
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Good for Kevin, glad to see him back
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]
In other news, life insurance rates for F1 drivers, pit crews, and marshals dropped dramatically... while stocks of carbon fiber makers plummeted in furious trading.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good to hear.

Read another interesting anecdote about driver popularity today (that was surprising). A well known British F1 merchandise seller (who specializes in 1/2 scale helmets) mentioned that Button merchandise outsells Hamilton 2:1.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In other news, life insurance rates for F1 drivers, pit crews, and marshals dropped dramatically... while stocks of carbon fiber makers plummeted in furious trading.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]

I knew it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm ok with the V6 turbo hybrids, just make them sound glorious.   Then give them more fuel and an increased flow rate and 1000hp is possible.

The other big step is to figure out a better way for the tires to degrade.  The thermal degradation as currently used is shit.  It keeps the drivers off the edge because of they overheat the tires briefly they fall off a proverbial performance cliff. If they want to stick with thermal degradation then maybe they can make the cliff in steps.  You overheat the tire once, -5% grip, oops you did it gain minus an additional 5-7% grip.  

Not you overheated the tire once -20% grip and it's out of balance too.  Box box box.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can we go back to big boy engines, please

Also, GO FERRARI!!!!!

I'm ok with the V6 turbo hybrids, just make them sound glorious.   Then give them more fuel and an increased flow rate and 1000hp is possible.

The other big step is to figure out a better way for the tires to degrade.  The thermal degradation as currently used is shit.  It keeps the drivers off the edge because of they overheat the tires briefly they fall off a proverbial performance cliff. If they want to stick with thermal degradation then maybe they can make the cliff in steps.  You overheat the tire once, -5% grip, oops you did it gain minus an additional 5-7% grip.  

Not you overheated the tire once -20% grip and it's out of balance too.  Box box box.

That's a good point. I wish we could go back to V8, 10, or 12 N/A and refueling. I think it adds to individual team strategies.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Chilton will race the full IndyCar season with Ganassi

Good for him, I always like Chilton.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Hell this is safer than the new cockpit enclosures!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]

I've always thought Pastor took lessons from Ralf. He certainly did it better than Ralf. Got to hand to to Ralf though, he ran into his brother and his own team mate more than once.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've always thought Pastor took lessons from Ralf. He certainly did it better than Ralf. Got to hand to to Ralf though, he ran into his brother and his own team mate more than once.

https://youtu.be/VKhyeuMvcbg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My uncle always called him Ralf Safetycar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Just throwing this out there, but if you guys were planning on going to Austin for the race (if it happens), there are very few hotel rooms left available. I just booked a room for 3 nights at the Embassy Suites Central, and I hurt
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

I have vivid memories of his Aussie crash, sitting up at 1:30am waiting for the race to come on... I was in middle school, my parents didn't know what was wrong with me.

His Indy crashes were nasty. I was sitting down towards road course turn 1 for the first one, but the next one we were drinking beer right where he backed into the wall coming out of oval 13. You could feel that hit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Holy fuck, Maldonado is finally out? So you're telling me that Formula 1 is actually going to be a professional driving sport once again? BUT WHERE WILL THE AMATEUR DUMBSHITS GO!?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Holy fuck, Maldonado is finally out? So you're telling me that Formula 1 is actually going to be a professional driving sport once again? BUT WHERE WILL THE AMATEUR DUMBSHITS GO!?
View Quote

NASCAR and Indycar, like always.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Red Menace in NASCAR would be awesome.  The could set him up like an old-school WWF "bad guy".  The Iron Sheik of racing.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Now all I need is a BOT win and I'll be content for this year.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Red Menace in NASCAR would be awesome.  The could set him up like an old-school WWF "bad guy".  The Iron Sheik of racing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who will be Sgt. Slaughter?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how close this is to the final car and livery?

Haas rendering:

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

I don't know but I hope the flag stays!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tony Stewart

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tony Stewart  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony Stewart  

heard he had an atv accident
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tony Stewart  

First I have heard of this. Just looked it up and I hope he gets better soon.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Renault Sport RS16

Livery used is temporary

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#30]
As much as I want to see Alonso and Button do well, I would really enjoy seeing Magnussen and Renault ahead of McLaren.  Would be cool to see Alonso and Flavio come back to Renault next year for one last championship before he retires from F1 and starts racing in WEC.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#31]
BTW, we're still looking for members for the 2016 Open Wheel Fantasy League. Each team drafts a combination of F1 and Indycar drivers. You can win team memberships, Pmags and/or possession of our coveted trophy for the next season.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_125/1831202_2016_Open_Wheel_Fantasy_League___Sign_up_and_Draft.html
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Engine Token system scrapped for 2017!  Teams will be able to update their power units through the season.  The key limit is that upgrades can only be introduced when the driver uses new elements.
View Quote

That makes some sense.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That makes some sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Engine Token system scrapped for 2017!  Teams will be able to update their power units through the season.  The key limit is that upgrades can only be introduced when the driver uses new elements.

That makes some sense.

That's the first rule change in recent memory that actually makes sense...
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Engine Token system scrapped for 2017!  Teams will be able to update their power units through the season. The key limit is that upgrades can only be introduced when the driver uses new elements.
View Quote

I'm not sure what this means...

m

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As much as I want to see Alonso and Button do well, I would really enjoy seeing Magnussen and Renault ahead of McLaren.  Would be cool to see Alonso and Flavio come back to Renault next year for one last championship before he retires from F1 and starts racing in WEC.
View Quote

I don't think Magnussen would intentionally crash his car for an Alonso victory though. Flavio would need a new strategy.

Thank God they got rid of the engine tokens. No development in F1...isn't F1.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
They're still limited to using 5 power units for the season.

The power unit is deemed to consist of six separate elements: the internal combustion engine (ICE), the motor generator unit-kinetic (MGU-K), the motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H), the energy store (ES), turbocharger (TC) and control electronics (CE).

Each driver is permitted to use only five of each of the above six elements during a championship season and any combination of them may be fitted to a car at any one time. Should a driver use more than five of any of the six power unit elements during the course of a season, a grid penalty will be imposed.

So basically if they upgrade the turbocharger it counts against their 5 allowed TC Powerunits

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Engine Token system scrapped for 2017!  Teams will be able to update their power units through the season. The key limit is that upgrades can only be introduced when the driver uses new elements.

I'm not sure what this means...

m

They're still limited to using 5 power units for the season.

The power unit is deemed to consist of six separate elements: the internal combustion engine (ICE), the motor generator unit-kinetic (MGU-K), the motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H), the energy store (ES), turbocharger (TC) and control electronics (CE).

Each driver is permitted to use only five of each of the above six elements during a championship season and any combination of them may be fitted to a car at any one time. Should a driver use more than five of any of the six power unit elements during the course of a season, a grid penalty will be imposed.

So basically if they upgrade the turbocharger it counts against their 5 allowed TC Powerunits

That makes sense. What confused me is the statement that the rules for 2017 were being dropped, immediately followed by an explanation of the current rules. It seemed contradictory in that context.

Thanks,

m

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#41]

I wish Pastor and JPM had both been in F1 at the same time... think of the entertainment value.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I wish Pastor and JPM had both been in F1 at the same time... think of the entertainment value.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I gotta be honest. I LOVED JPM in F1. I wish he could do uncensored commentary.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know it.. I miss that.  "What will JPM say this week that pisses everyone off?" On top of all that, he was actually a pretty good driver in F1.  

Hell, he's still worth a million laughs out of F1.... I was rolling on the floor in tears when he killed the jet dryer at Daytona.  I had to explain to all my 'NASCAR or nuthin' friends who he was so that they would find the same amount of humor in it.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Grosjean's helmet tease has me wondering about the livery of the Haas team.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Can we call Wehrlein Louis Jr. or would that be impolite?  I think they have the same stylist.  

Joking aside though, I hope the kid does good, he seems pretty damn talented.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#49]
So it seems Ferrari has made some changes to its ICE.  I'm working on a blog post about a specific part because I'm that much of a nerd
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:38:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 78
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top