Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 9:32:19 AM EDT
Hello all.  My dad is selling his AR (ain't no way I'm gettin' rid of mine).  It's a Colt and it's marked as an A2 Gov't model.  It almost fits the profile of a 6550, but it doesn't have the bayonet lug, nor does it have the fence around the mag release.

I guess my question is, did Colt just mish-mash parts together to come up with rifles?
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes & No, I've seen both, your must be a early post ban.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt seems to have a practice of using whatever is on hand (read: government contract overruns)to slap together their AR's, Sporters etc.

After the Bush ban and before the Clinton ban they were putting together AR's that did not have a bayonet lug to satisfy CA legislation (I think - correct me on this if I'm wrong.)  You could have one of these.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Check the SN to be sure.  NO better way than that.

No way does this sound like a post ban.  If it's marked A2 Govt Model it's a preban.  It does sound like an upper sway was done as I believe the GOVT models all had bayo lugs...  later prebans like the blue labels did away with the bayo lug but it wasn't because of the law, just Colt trying to be politically correct.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's got the flash hidder it's a late pre-ban.

They miss read the law and thought no more than 2 were permitted and were getting ready for Sept. 94.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top