Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

RealFlight has some great features, but in my experienced is a little too easy.  Someone will be along shortly to tell me i am wrong.

View Quote
Sup

20+ years flying RC. I currently fly pretty much any fixed wing or multirotor I can get my hands on, from small electrics to giant scale warbirds and everything in between. I've flown micro to 34% scale with all common power systems, from sailplanes to glow to electric to gas. I'm also a professional UAS operator and have flown unmanned aircraft both here and overseas, and also do aerial photography and cinematography (first feature film I worked on was released last month).

Still, about the most fun I have flying is tossing a couple of $2-airframe F-22s up with a friend and trying to knock each other out of the sky, which we do regularly. Combat is hilarious.

That, and low-level proximity FPV with both fixed wing and multirotors.

As for simulators, I feel that Realflight is by FAR the most realistic of all the ones available. I'm sorry, but I think Phoenix is utter crap for fixed-wing physics Luckily it's not as bad as FS1 though...

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would avoid Hobby King, or at least avoid at all costs getting anything from their warehouse in Arkansas - they will rip you off and will not respond to any customer service inquiries

View Quote

That isn't anything specific to the AR warehouse, that's HobbyKing corporate policy.  They have a pretty shitty reputation.  

With that said, I am not aware of anyplace that has cheaper batteries.  They may not be top of the line, but they are very reasonably priced allowing you to buy more which leads to more time playing.

Also that Quanum FPV setup for $74 can't be beat for what it is.

I run Turnigy ESC's and motors in several of my boats and couldn't be happier.  Particularly when you realize some of the "name brands" are literally identical.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

SAFE is the answer, IMHO.

I bought a Hobbyzone Sport Cub S a couple months ago.  Previously I have only flown Air Hogs helicopters indoors.  $130 RTF.  http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/safe-technology/ready-to-fly/sport-cub-s-rtf-with-safe-reg%3B-technology-hbz4400

It is a little foam park flyer that comes in a fitted box that makes it easy to transport.  The SAFE receiver has 3 different flight modes, beginner, intermediate, and experienced.  Also has a panic button to override everything and level itself out, great for when you are trying something new and you mess up, it can save you.

If you use a little common sense it is nearly impossible to crash in the beginner mode.

After you start getting cocky and using the I and E modes, it can be patched up with scotch tape.  Replacement parts are pretty cheap.

I fly on a football field but it doesn't really need that much space.

The only real drawback is due to its small size wind over about 5-6mph will toss it around pretty bad.

The Apprentice you linked to also has a SAFE receiver.  In retrospect I should have bought that for my next plane. Instead I bought the Parkzone Sport Cub and transplanted in the SAFE receiver from that Apprentice.  Hope to maiden it this week.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't I just try on my own?
It CAN happen.  It doesn't often work well.  Find a club or an instructor, it will save you a ton of time and heartbreak.

I bought a Hobbyzone Sport Cub S a couple months ago.  Previously I have only flown Air Hogs helicopters indoors.  $130 RTF.  http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/safe-technology/ready-to-fly/sport-cub-s-rtf-with-safe-reg%3B-technology-hbz4400

It is a little foam park flyer that comes in a fitted box that makes it easy to transport.  The SAFE receiver has 3 different flight modes, beginner, intermediate, and experienced.  Also has a panic button to override everything and level itself out, great for when you are trying something new and you mess up, it can save you.

If you use a little common sense it is nearly impossible to crash in the beginner mode.

After you start getting cocky and using the I and E modes, it can be patched up with scotch tape.  Replacement parts are pretty cheap.

I fly on a football field but it doesn't really need that much space.

The only real drawback is due to its small size wind over about 5-6mph will toss it around pretty bad.

The Apprentice you linked to also has a SAFE receiver.  In retrospect I should have bought that for my next plane. Instead I bought the Parkzone Sport Cub and transplanted in the SAFE receiver from that Apprentice.  Hope to maiden it this week.

Have you ground tested it yet?

I found that the Eflite EFLR310013 receiver was only compatible with Eflite ESCs...maybe only the 30 amp Pro SB ESC that came with the Apprentice.

When I was starting out, and wanted SAFE technology in a warbird, I had to transplant both the receiver and ESC from the Apprentice into the warbird.

I only found one workaround on the web, but it was pretty involved.  By the time I got back around to trying to get stuff to work, I'd finally begun to outgrow SAFE.  I'd like to find out if any new workarounds have come up, as I'd like to put it in a plane for my kid some day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi broken_reticle,

What is that glider in your avatar?  

I learned to fly R/C gas about 1984, but got tired of the fuel, noise and extras, and build a 2meter Gentle Lady glider.  That was it, I love them.
I have a few kits stashed under the spare bed, but recently found this site of old plans:  http://www.outerzone.co.uk/

I browsed a bunch and this one http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5853 caught my eye and I thought thats cool.  So I made one, from scratch.  I started with a pile of balsa sheets, a tool to make strips, razor blades and glue.

Thats about an 8 and 1/2 foot span right there.

Nose needs to be longer, I need to add a cam mount up there too.

So now these 2 big gliders are crowding me out, I went real old school, back to rubber powered tissue and balsa stick models.  
I made my dad a static scale 20" span SE5a, he always liked that one I think.
Entirely scratch built, 1/16" balsa, sticks, tissue, index card.  The Lewis gun is really cool.

Thats Cpt James McCuddens plane, about the time he fought Werner Voss.
I remade the prop after I took the pic, it was just too thin.
And I made a cool poster of the plans I used, with pics of McCudden, and other details of real SE5a replicas.

I JUST missed by 1 month on ebay a sale of this SE5a kit which was from the 1940s, NIB, I was so mad at myself.

I love the old kits from the 30s,40s and 50s, days before RC.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sup

20+ years flying RC. I currently fly pretty much any fixed wing or multirotor I can get my hands on, from small electrics to giant scale warbirds and everything in between. I've flown micro to 34% scale with all common power systems, from sailplanes to glow to electric to gas. I'm also a professional UAS operator and have flown unmanned aircraft both here and overseas, and also do aerial photography and cinematography (first feature film I worked on was released last month).

Still, about the most fun I have flying is tossing a couple of $2-airframe F-22s up with a friend and trying to knock each other out of the sky, which we do regularly. Combat is hilarious.

As for simulators, I feel that Realflight is by FAR the most realistic of all the ones available. I'm sorry, but I think Phoenix is utter crap for fixed-wing physics Luckily it's not as bad as FS1 though...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

RealFlight has some great features, but in my experienced is a little too easy.  Someone will be along shortly to tell me i am wrong.

Sup

That part in red, how do you like it?  I have been kicking around the idea, I have an active PPL.  What part of TX are you in?

The fixed wing physics are not great in any of them of course, there isn't weather and the airframes are perfect.  I have based my opinions of RealFlight on a couple of things.  One, the transmitters they used have always sucked.  In realflight I can do all sorts of things with a helicopter I could never pull off in real life.  Phoenix is a little better.  There used to be one out of Germany I really liked, but cannot recall the name (not Aerofly).  Finally, I bought Phoenix probably 6 years ago, on version 2.0.  Tonight I downloaded 5 for free as an update.  

At least we can agree FS1 sucked.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hi broken_reticle,

What is that glider in your avatar?  

I learned to fly R/C gas about 1984, but got tired of the fuel, noise and extras, and build a 2meter Gentle Lady glider.  That was it, I love them.

I have a few kits stashed under the spare bed, but recently found this site of old plans:  http://www.outerzone.co.uk/

I browsed a bunch and this one http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5853 caught my eye and I thought thats cool.  So I made one, from scratch.  I started with a pile of balsa sheets, a tool to make strips, razor blades and glue.

Thats about an 8 and 1/2 foot span right there.

Nose needs to be longer, I need to add a cam mount up there too.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/images/thumbs/models_more/5853/003.jpg

So now these 2 big gliders are crowding me out, I went real old school, back to rubber powered tissue and balsa stick models.  

I made my dad a static scale 20" span SE5a, he always liked that one I think.

Entirely scratch built, 1/16" balsa, sticks, tissue, index card.  The Lewis gun is really cool.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/images/thumbs/models/569.jpg

Thats Cpt James McCuddens plane, about the time he fought Werner Voss.

I remade the prop after I took the pic, it was just too thin.

And I made a cool poster of the plans I used, with pics of McCudden, and other details of real SE5a replicas.

I JUST missed by 1 month on ebay a sale of this SE5a kit which was from the 1940s, NIB, I was so mad at myself.

I love the old kits from the 30s,40s and 50s, days before RC.  

View Quote

My avatar is an old glider called a Xantipa.  It was one of the first molded gliders to be imported from eastern Europe.  It is built like a tank and weighs like one but flies very well.  It can also be cantankerous on launch.  

As to "old kits" I have way, way too many.  I have a pretty decent collection of 90's era sailplane kits.  If you are familiar with any of the old Dodgson Designs kits I have what I believe to be the second most complete collection.  I have want too many airplanes.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I found that the Eflite EFLR310013 receiver was only compatible with Eflite ESCs...maybe only the 30 amp Pro SB ESC that came with the Apprentice.

When I was starting out, and wanted SAFE technology in a warbird, I had to transplant both the receiver and ESC from the Apprentice into the warbird.

I only found one workaround on the web, but it was pretty involved.  By the time I got back around to trying to get stuff to work, I'd finally begun to outgrow SAFE.  I'd like to find out if any new workarounds have come up, as I'd like to put it in a plane for my kid some day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It CAN happen.  It doesn't often work well.  Find a club or an instructor, it will save you a ton of time and heartbreak.

Yes I have ground tested it and everything seems to work just fine.

The ESC in the plane is an 18amp Parkzone.  I believe Hobbyzone, Parkzone, E-flite are all owned by Horizon Hobby.

There is a thread on rcgroups about transplanting SAFE receivers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135213

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm still clinging to nitro on the bigger stuff.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I got into the slope soaring thing for a while.  Great fun.  Here's one of my slope planes when I was rebuilding it.  Its a Sig Ninja, but I made it into a V-tail.

After years of RC, I went and got a full size rating for gliders and have been pretty absorbed with that on the summer weekends instead.  It costs less too, LOL..  I used to fly lots of nitro RC warbirds before the slope flying. Hoping to get back into it a little bit next summer.  It's been 5 years.  We should post pics of our winter projects here.  I'm going to build a trainer tail dagger to practice my flying come spring.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes and no.  SAFE will largely keep you from crashing your airplane, for that it is pretty awesome.  FWIW, my instructor crashed my first airplane, I don't think SAFE would have.    

The other side of that, and this certainly isn't a personal dig, is there has been a real degradation of real airmanship skills over the past decade or so.   I dare say around the time the whole 3D thing started there were a bunch of guys that could perform all sorts of aerobatics, but couldn't fly straight and level or a simple loop.  Landings have become arrivals, as long as I can fix it with its we are cool.  FWIW it isn't just newbies, about 10 years ago I had a buddy of mine politely mention that my landings could us some work.  He explained how a proper approach worked in the full size world and worked with me to get it down.  It was amazing how much better of a pilot it made me, even though I was someone with a lot of stick time.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I got into the slope soaring thing for a while.  Great fun.  Here's one of my slope planes when I was rebuilding it.  Its a Sig Ninja, but I made it into a V-tail.

http://il2windhawk.com/auxillary/RC/_Slope/refurbished%20ninja.jpg

After years of RC, I went and got a full size rating for gliders and have been pretty absorbed with that on the summer weekends instead.  It costs less too, LOL..  I used to fly lots of nitro RC warbirds before the slope flying. Hoping to get back into it a little bit next summer.  It's been 5 years.  We should post pics of our winter projects here.  I'm going to build a trainer tail dagger to practice my flying come spring.

View Quote

Glass it behind the wing.  They all break at the rear former at the trailing edge of the wing.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Broke our distance record yesterday.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]

I dig it, but the end is neigh.  

Raptor 50 and a 90 Stinger (raptor clone and crap)

Raven 50.  This thing is a beast.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That part in red, how do you like it?  I have been kicking around the idea, I have an active PPL.  What part of TX are you in?

The fixed wing physics are not great in any of them of course, there isn't weather and the airframes are perfect.  I have based my opinions of RealFlight on a couple of things.  One, the transmitters they used have always sucked.  In realflight I can do all sorts of things with a helicopter I could never pull off in real life.  Phoenix is a little better.  There used to be one out of Germany I really liked, but cannot recall the name (not Aerofly).  Finally, I bought Phoenix probably 6 years ago, on version 2.0.  Tonight I downloaded 5 for free as an update.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sup

I'm in DFW. I started off flying bigger UAVs in Afghanistan from 2011 to 2013 (contractor, not military). They were a little larger than a Shadow... not bad work, to be honest. There were some fun times, but it's the luck of the draw as far as who you work with. Like any job there are good people and sucky ones.

I now fly for a friend who is a Steadicam operator that wanted to branch into aerial cinematography. Unfortunately, the FAA is cracking down and production companies are getting smart enough to ask for 333 exemptions, which we don't have right now... we're looking into it though. Not sure what we'll do yet. Working in film environments can very wildly from one to the next depending on the crew, I've been lucky so far and everything has been good.

I also piddle around with my own work doing things like real estate and some private shoots, but those jobs are few and far between right now.

It's fun work, but challenging.

As for Realflight's transmitter, you can plug in a real one you know....

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm in DFW. I started off flying bigger UAVs in Afghanistan from 2011 to 2013 (contractor, not military). They were a little larger than a Shadow... not bad work, to be honest. There were some fun times, but it's the luck of the draw as far as who you work with. Like any job there are good people and sucky ones.

I now fly for a friend who is a Steadicam operator that wanted to branch into aerial cinematography. Unfortunately, the FAA is cracking down and production companies are getting smart enough to ask for 333 exemptions, which we don't have right now... we're looking into it though. Not sure what we'll do yet. Working in film environments can very wildly from one to the next depending on the crew, I've been lucky so far and everything has been good.

I also piddle around with my own work doing things like real estate and some private shoots, but those jobs are few and far between right now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sup

I fly fixed wing.

I tried linking my DX6 (new model) and was having a difficult time.  I was trying to use it while in multiplayer and I just couldn't assign my switches properly.  I'll mess with it again, as I think the problem was me being impatient and not being used to the Realflight user interface.  I really need to get it set up, because the Interlink controller is completely different as far as switch arrangement is concerned.

As for actual flight rather than simulator, I also plan on getting the Tyranis Pro transmitter since I'm starting to need more than six channels.  THAT'S going to be a whole new learning curve, but it's an awesome system.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#16]
For someone who's never flown before and is curious about the hobby... thoughts?

Blade Nano QX: $89.99

I was thinking that for some easy indoors learning, or perhaps going with the bigger Traxxas one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Tagged for the warbirds. Is it dumb to jump right into a foam warbird without starting with a trainer?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#18]
As of today that is now ILLEGAL.  FPV or flying without a direct visual line of sight to the aircraft is over.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/30739933/faa-announces-drone-registration-rules

Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbgMBZ48k5k
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I fly fixed wing.
I tried linking my DX6 (new model) and was having a difficult time.  I was trying to use it while in multiplayer and I just couldn't assign my switches properly.  I'll mess with it again, as I think the problem was me being impatient and not being used to the Realflight user interface.  I really need to get it set up, because the Interlink controller is completely different as far as switch arrangement is concerned.
As for actual flight rather than simulator, I also plan on getting the Tyranis Pro transmitter since I'm starting to need more than six channels.  THAT'S going to be a whole new learning curve, but it's an awesome system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sup

I fly fixed wing.
I've been hearing more and more good things about the Taranis but haven't tried one myself, yet. I will in the future.
I've flown and owned most of the major radio brands, Futaba, JR, HiTec, Airtronics, Spektrum etc and have pretty much settled on Futaba and JR. Currently using a JR 11X and Futaba 14SG. They handle most of what I want to do but I'd really like an 18MZ or 28X
Quoted:

As of today that is now ILLEGAL.  FPV or flying without a direct visual line of sight to the aircraft is over.

FTFAA

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
One word for you(actually three) DAL Unbreakable Props.  They aren't quite unbreakable, but they are TOUGH.  I can get through a whole day of racing with one set usually where when I was flying with HQ props, I was going through them like crazy.
As for my 182mm frame, everything fits fine on this frame, but it is for an advanced builder. There is a PDB board on the bottom of the stack that has built in 5V and 12V for the FPV equipment.  Next in the stack is a Naze 32 flight controller.

Everything is depinned and directly soldered, including the FrSky X4R receiver.  AUW is 390 grams with a 3s 1300mah battery.  The carbon version should be about 20 grams lighter.

PDB, ESCs and Motors

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/644/22453146134_7edbb24a6e_o.jpgx-frame 9 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Flight Controller with soldered connections and video transmitter and camera cables in place

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5627/23075954265_d1d67287c1_o.jpgx-frame 10 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been flying R/C for 20+ years.  I even had an R/C manufacturing business for 12 years and designed and sold 40,000 kits.

I said all that to say this.

FPV Racing is the pinnacle now of where its at.  FPV Racing is a brand new sport at is growing at a HUGE PACE

Dubai has announced a World Champion event to be held this next year with the Grand Prize of $1,000,000.00 for first place.

http://www.emirates247.com/sports/local/dubai-launches-million-dollar-world-drone-prix-2015-12-12-1.613732

Since I started FPV Racing this summer, all my other planes and helis have been gathering dust.  There is really nothing like it out there.  It truly feels like you are sitting inside the quad as you fly through the gates.

Here's my personal design that I am racing now, a 182mm FPV racer that swings 5" props.  This is just a prototype cut from fiberglass.  My full carbon frames should be in in a couple days.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5800/23075953775_06457b3cdb_o.jpgx-frame 12 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

And to show you how small these things really are.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/663/22969931816_c08888a0f5_o.jpgx-frame 8 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

That is a pretty slick design.  I can barely pack all the crap into my 250, not sure how I would get everything on that.  

I am shocked how the FPV stuff has taken off, in the many years of flying I have never seen anything explode quite like this.  It will be interesting to see how big it gets and how long it lasts.  I can say trying to learn to fly all over again has been interesting.  I have purchased a LOT of props.  

One word for you(actually three) DAL Unbreakable Props.  They aren't quite unbreakable, but they are TOUGH.  I can get through a whole day of racing with one set usually where when I was flying with HQ props, I was going through them like crazy.
As for my 182mm frame, everything fits fine on this frame, but it is for an advanced builder. There is a PDB board on the bottom of the stack that has built in 5V and 12V for the FPV equipment.  Next in the stack is a Naze 32 flight controller.

Everything is depinned and directly soldered, including the FrSky X4R receiver.  AUW is 390 grams with a 3s 1300mah battery.  The carbon version should be about 20 grams lighter.

PDB, ESCs and Motors

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/644/22453146134_7edbb24a6e_o.jpgx-frame 9 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Flight Controller with soldered connections and video transmitter and camera cables in place

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5627/23075954265_d1d67287c1_o.jpgx-frame 10 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

What motors and esc,s?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i will be sure to get right on that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#22]
And this is why we can't have nice things.  You can thank everyone who couldn't manage to operate their "drones" with some common sense.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't see any mention of a ban on FPV in the article.  It just says drones with cameras must be registered.  Even the micro quodcopters are coming with cameras now.  

The ruling is so broad it is stupid and will only encourage massive non-compliance.  I'm not registering a $40 toy that goes 100 feet and breaks when it crashes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I didn't see any mention of a ban on FPV in the article.  It just says drones with cameras must be registered.  Even the micro quodcopters are coming with cameras now.  

The ruling is so broad it is stupid and will only encourage massive non-compliance.  I'm not registering a $40 toy that goes 100 feet and breaks when it crashes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As I am reading it is basically all r/c aircraft over 1/2lb, camera or not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct, no ban on FPV except the words, " No flying out of sight". Other wording states that you must see it visually in flight. That would exclude you from being able to wear FPV googles.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I just read the actual rule. It is anything 1/2 pound or more.  It also says "operated outdoors in the national airspace system".  Is there a definition of what is included in the airspace system is does that "system" cover everything that isn't firmly connected to the ground?

The registration also isn't a one time thing either.  Your papers are only good for 3 years and then you have to renew your registration.  Right now for model aircraft it is $5 renewal for your whole fleet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I just read the actual rule. It is anything 1/2 pound or more.  It also says "operated outdoors in the national airspace system".  Is there a definition of what is included in the airspace system is does that "system" cover everything that isn't firmly connected to the ground?

The registration also isn't a one time thing either.  Your papers are only good for 3 years and then you have to renew your registration.  Right now for model aircraft it is $5 renewal for your whole fleet.

View Quote

Airspace is anything above the grass and not under a roof.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Just finished a bunch of reading about the new FAA ruling.  Basically every aircraft has to be registered if it is over .55lbs.  Has nothing to do with cameras.  If you sell the aircraft you have to update the registry.

FBHO and FFAA.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Bumping this for a fix to my recent addiction. I can't get the FPV racing drones off my mind since I first learned about them via this thread Patiently waiting for the little QX Nano to come in the mail so I can practice flying.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Bumping this for a fix to my recent addiction. I can't get the FPV racing drones off my mind since I first learned about them via this thread Patiently waiting for the little QX Nano to come in the mail so I can practice flying.
View Quote

You are welcome.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You are welcome.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are welcome.  

haha damn you! Now I have to pick up a soldering kit and learn how to solder.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's what I'm looking at for my first build. Nothing serious, basically just a trainer that I can easily replace the entire frame for cheap when it breaks. No plans for FPV gear yet, just going to fly LOS.

Frame: HK Color 250 $14.21
Motor & ESC combo: LDPOWER 250 1806-2280kv $63.90
Flight Controller: AfroFlight Naze32 (soldered version with vertical pins) $21.99

Still working out the other items I need.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/broken_reticle/Raptor.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/broken_reticle/raven.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Plus they have gas engines, that are about as small as .60 sized for a few years now.  (Maybe not powerful enough for those sized helis however)
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Plus they have gas engines, that are about as small as .60 sized for a few years now.  (Maybe not powerful enough for those sized helis however)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I don't think they would.  The OS 50 Hyper puts out an insane amount of power for it's size.  Well, when it doesn't have a hole in the piston anyway.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Here's what I'm looking at for my first build. Nothing serious, basically just a trainer that I can easily replace the entire frame for cheap when it breaks. No plans for FPV gear yet, just going to fly LOS.

Flight Controller: AfroFlight Naze32 (soldered version with vertical pins) $21.99
View Quote
I get all my quad stuff from brian at http://www.multirotormania.com/
The ZMR frame is where its at. very sturdy, huge support for it and its cheap. There basically all clones but brian only stocks quality sourced full carbon fiber frames. ( unless listed as fiberglass )  

I would recommend this combo with a dragonfly 32 flight controller.

ETA and LOTS of props.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I recently bought an E-flite Rare Bear, holy shit this thing is fast! Easily hits 100+ mph in level flight. Haven't flown it much though, living in south florida its difficult to find a place to fly without going to a club.
(not my pic)
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/horizonhobby/EFL1275_b0?wid=1400&hei=778
View Quote

With a 6s battery and a couple of mods that thing will boogie pretty good... :D

-J
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I recently bought an E-flite Rare Bear, holy shit this thing is fast! Easily hits 100+ mph in level flight. Haven't flown it much though, living in south florida its difficult to find a place to fly without going to a club.

(not my pic)

https://scontent.fmci1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12115513_1155046031190166_2842496871966742525_n.jpg?oh=3a29999ac0e7894a0bcacf9272898b46&oe=56D4F1EF

-J
Woah  

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The ZMR frame is where its at. very sturdy, huge support for it and its cheap. There basically all clones but brian only stocks quality sourced full carbon fiber frames. ( unless listed as fiberglass )  

ETA and LOTS of props.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA and LOTS of props.

That seems like a decent combo. There's so many damn choices out there!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#39]
So in honor of Star Wars release day and the fact that they've come down in price, this happened:

Pretty fun, but I wish it had a removable battery and spares so I could fly for more than 10 minutes every couple hours Damn thing takes at least an hour to charge.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(not my pic)

https://scontent.fmci1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12115513_1155046031190166_2842496871966742525_n.jpg?oh=3a29999ac0e7894a0bcacf9272898b46&oe=56D4F1EF

-J

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(not my pic)

-J

Now I kinda want one.  Maybe I will just go 4S on my Squall.  It is crazy fast as it is.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm not trying to find my photos and post them from the phone.  I have lots of flyers.

I'll just post a video from my 350qx.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I'm not trying to find my photos and post them from the phone.  I have lots of flyers.

http://youtu.be/UXJUAs5Tqaw
View Quote

Neat, I was wondering when you would stop by.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/UXJUAs5Tqaw

Nav lighting installed in a glasair.  Spent some time getting the timing sequences right in the software.  There is an Arduino micro under the wing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

For someone who's never flown before and is curious about the hobby... thoughts?

Blade Nano QX: $89.99

http://i66.tinypic.com/bjfxc6.jpg

I was thinking that for some easy indoors learning, or perhaps going with the bigger Traxxas one.
View Quote
That's the best trainer for quadcopters because it is the only nano quad that has a true rate mode.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would love to know more about your setup...!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Got back into rc a couple of years ago just finished a Goldberg extra 300 with a os 120ax just waiting to get some free time for a maiden flight!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Designed and build an AM6 Zero this week.  Got to fly it for the first time this afternoon.

Here's the Maiden:

https://youtu.be/mEuG4TLTbMs

And a second flight when the sun is actually out:

https://youtu.be/dEs5MtQ5t6M

Everything went great, except I need longer taller skis.  Snow was crusted on top, and slush and water underneath.  Should have copied actual floats instead of trying little shoes.  

Gave up trying to slide on landing and settled for the "plop" method.   :cool:

Now that preliminary flights are concluded, Operation Catch a Possum and Conscript Him as a Pilot has begun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Now I kinda want one.  Maybe I will just go 4S on my Squall.  It is crazy fast as it is.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
(not my pic)

-J

It is exhilarating.  I also fly these:

But for knee-knocking, hands shaking, heart racing craziness, nothing beats the Rare Bear going 170mph.

I use 6s 3300mah 65c batteries, I set my timer at 2.5 minutes, and I usually land with only 20% left in the batteries.  Think about that.  The thing is like 2300 watts wide open, on a 4.5lb plane.  That's over 500 watts per pound.  A 500 size heli on the same packs gets 4-5 minutes of flight even at a high headspeed.

Anyway...  I've got a buddy that had a squall.  It flew really well, but landing was kinda tough because of where the intake is in relation to the CG.  He has a foamie Habu on 5s that we radar'd at 122mph.  He's also got the fiberglass Habu32 on 6s that we radar'd at 136mph I think.  130-something.

-J
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7526/16115961582_7281a1b6e4_b.jpg

But for knee-knocking, hands shaking, heart racing craziness, nothing beats the Rare Bear going 170mph.

I use 6s 3300mah 65c batteries, I set my timer at 2.5 minutes, and I usually land with only 20% left in the batteries.  Think about that.  The thing is like 2300 watts wide open, on a 4.5lb plane.  That's over 500 watts per pound.  A 500 size heli on the same packs gets 4-5 minutes of flight even at a high headspeed.

Anyway...  I've got a buddy that had a squall.  It flew really well, but landing was kinda tough because of where the intake is in relation to the CG.  He has a foamie Habu on 5s that we radar'd at 122mph.  He's also got the fiberglass Habu32 on 6s that we radar'd at 136mph I think.  130-something.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(not my pic)

-J

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7526/16115961582_7281a1b6e4_b.jpg

-J

I miss flying helis.  I loved the challenge of it.  I felt like I was a real pilot when I managed that 1 foot high inverted nose in hover.  

The squall is a ton of fun because it hauls ass, but is pretty easy to fly.  I have a Habu foamie my wife bought me.  Still haven't flown it.  

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top