Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2015 8:48:16 PM EDT
An interesting disaster in several aspects.  A DC10 hit the highest mountain in the Antarctic flying at 2,500 ft with 40 miles of visibility.  The first investigation determined that the accident was 100% pilot error.

A second investigation a year later noted that the final waypoint on the flightpath had been moved just prior to the flight so that it was directly behind the mountain; crew hadn't been informed.  Lots of debate over where the waypoint was shown during the crew briefing.  The investigator further accused the airline of "an orchestrated litany of lies" by covering up and lying.

Erebus Overdue is a really well done documentary covering the effort to recover the 257 bodies from the Antarctic.  I stumbled onto this last night and got sucked into the whole topic for about 3 hours.

ETA:  Added a link below to the song I can't get out of my head now.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
"sightseeing" over AntArctica.... Who thought THAT was a great idea ?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Because it was a sightseeing trip (11hrs in the air), investigators had a pretty good idea of what conditions were like near Erebus.  Lots of cameras were located and film developed.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't plan a flight based on Erebus being the highest mountain in the Antarctic, because Vinson could be an unpleasant surprise.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Even with 40 miles viz, I can see a type of white out or featureless view out the cockpit windows.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"sightseeing" over AntArctica.... Who thought THAT was a great idea ?
View Quote

I don't see anything wrong with it.

See also:
Says the guy who lives in Alaska.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for posting that, it is worth a watch.
Really interesting insight into what mass casualty event workers deal with.

A lot of what these guys described matches what my dad has told me. He worked the Eastern Airlines flight 66 crash site at JFK in 1975. And some of our members here who worked the WTC site after 9-11-01 have said similar.
Nothing prepares you for dealing with something like that. Military service, being a FF or EMS worker, Doctor or whatever.

Something I hope to never have to experience firsthand.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Erebus Overdue is a pretty good documentary covering the effort to recover the 257 bodies from the Antarctic.  I stumbled onto this last night and got sucked into the whole topic for about 3 hours.
https://youtu.be/kEsaTJDMo48
View Quote

A very well done documentary.  Thank you for posting this.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got done watching it.  That was really something.  Thanks for posting it, 30Caliber!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Generally, other than the union, pilot error will be the most popular finding for the majority of the parties to the investigation.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The song they played in the documentary is just heartbreaking...

Tiny Ruins "Bird in the Thyme"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top