Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2015 8:02:04 PM EDT
want to mount a camera to a shotgun ....

what do you recommend and why

does not have to be a GoPro brand

Has to be durable.

or should I just mount it to my head rather than the gun?

learn me you bunch of video recording enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]

I mounted my SJ400 (Gopro clone) to my 870 when I did some clays a few months ago. It held up fine (I don't think there are any moving parts) but the footage was not useful. You move the gun around too much for it to be watchable. I have found it far better to have someone else filming so you can see the target and the shooter- filming at about the shooters 4 o'clock so you can see brass flying and the target.

YMMV- with more than 1 camera it would be cool to have a gun mounted one, but otherwise it is pretty useless.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
want to mount a camera to a shotgun ....

what do you recommend and why

does not have to be a GoPro brand

Has to be durable.

or should I just mount it to my head rather than the gun?

learn me you bunch of video recording enthusiasts.
View Quote

I've put my Gopro on my AR and a shotgun, it works fine.  If you buy a mount for it, make sure it is made of plastic so you can crank it down tight.  Mounting on your head would work as well but it's not as awesome.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I mounted my SJ400 (Gopro clone) to my 870 when I did some clays a few months ago. It held up fine (I don't think there are any moving parts) but the footage was not useful. You move the gun around too much for it to be watchable. I have found it far better to have someone else filming so you can see the target and the shooter- filming at about the shooters 4 o'clock so you can see brass flying and the target.

YMMV- with more than 1 camera it would be cool to have a gun mounted one, but otherwise it is pretty useless.
View Quote

what do you think of the SJ400
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Put the camera on your head, make sure it's aimed right where you look.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Put the camera on your head, make sure it's aimed right where you look.
View Quote

This is what I do, and it works fine.

Mounting the camera on a shotgun kinda works, but the camera kept moving in the mount under recoil.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Just get one of these. Much better battery life than the more expensive GoPro's. Doesn't have all the features but for just recording video you won't find anything for the money

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHA-301-HERO/dp/B00NIYNUXO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449008110&sr=1-2&keywords=gopro
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Tactacam

I have no idea if these work.  My Dad got one on a Beretta promo when he bought a new A400 this summer.  Records 720/1080 to a micro SD card.  Comes with multiple mounts.  Seems decent, waterproof.  We'll know when the second split open up.  One of us will try it out.  -J

https://www.tactacam.com/shop/gun-package/  
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tactacam

I have no idea if these work.  My Dad got one on a Beretta promo when he bought a new A400 this summer.  Records 720/1080 to a micro SD card.  Comes with multiple mounts.  Seems decent, waterproof.  We'll know when the second split open up.  One of us will try it out.  -J

https://www.tactacam.com/shop/gun-package/  
View Quote

basic go pro are cheaper than that...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top